2013-2014 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my acceptance yesterday! Hope it goes to one of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Traffic violations are not looked at (or else almost EVERYONE will be flagged. :p) I think it is only for misdemeanor and felonies (or if you have been arrested for any reason at all.) Unless it was a DUI, which isn't a minor traffic violation IMO, it will not affect your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
So what's the deal with financial aid packages? I was told that they would only be presented after accepting and making the deposit?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Financial aid all depends on how much money the state allocates to the school. If they do not give that much funding FIU takes more OOS. At almost $100K/person they can do a lot with that. If the state gives them enough funding they can take more IS. Still though. IS is close to $40k/person. VERY high. TOO high!

Think there will be more movement?? ..... I'm trying to decide if I just commit 100% to my other school.... apartment, financial aid etc. FIU is my TOP choice. Think June 1st is a realistic date?

Think there will be more movement?? ..... I'm trying to decide if I just commit 100% to my other school.... apartment, financial aid etc. FIU is my TOP choice. Think June 1st is a realistic date?
They gave me a June 2nd date to reply, so I feel as if early June would still be an option, yeah. Good luck

They gave me a June 2nd date to reply, so I feel as if early June would still be an option, yeah. Good luck
Thanks.... gonna stall one more week then just pull the trigger.... didn't want to complete all the financial aid and then not go to the other school.

Does anyone know if minor traffic tickets that appear on the background check can impact your acceptance (after it has been offered)? Thanks for any information.
Got one too from parking during interviews, no worries.

Dropped my seat this morning! I hope it goes to one of you lovely people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if they send "rejection" or "closure" emails after this is all through?

So how many of us SDNers are still waiting to hear back? I am thinking like 5 or 6?

So how many of us SDNers are still waiting to hear back? I am thinking like 5 or 6?
I'm still waiting. I'm guessing tomorrow would be the first day that FIU will have no outstanding offers. It seems that the last acceptance was May 20, which puts June 3 as the two week deadline.

Last edited:
Still waiting here too... Turned in AMCAS again yesterday *sigh*

+5 here. I have already submitted AMCAS, my only solace is I'm on a few wait lists, but as each day passes, I grow weary of getting off any of them. Going through this again will be hell.

+5 here. I have already submitted AMCAS, my only solace is I'm on a few wait lists, but as each day passes, I grow weary of getting off any of them. Going through this again will be hell.
Yeah. That's rough. Sorry. Fortunately for me, I was accepted to another school, but I really really want FIU much more.

Yeah. That's rough. Sorry. Fortunately for me, I was accepted to another school, but I really really want FIU much more.
If you have an MD acceptance elsewhere, you probably won't get an invite to FIU at this point. Some of the adcom at our school have told me that past late May they typically pull people with no acceptances because people with other offers are less likely to accept at this point. However, people from the school have gotten in as late as the very end of June so you may still have a chance.

If you have an MD acceptance elsewhere, you probably won't get an invite to FIU at this point. Some of the adcom at our school have told me that past late May they typically pull people with no acceptances because people with other offers are less likely to accept at this point. However, people from the school have gotten in as late as the very end of June so you may still have a chance.

Seems a bit unfair if you continue to show interest in FIU since it defeats the point of safety schools and applying broadly if it keeps you from an acceptance at a school you want to attend. I mean it's still earlyish for him to accept if interested. I could see how this would be a problem in mid July though.

Hey Dooya, thanks for the info. From my understanding admin deans have access to the AMCAS report after May 15th and can see which applicants have been accepted elsewhere. Is this where they can figure out which applicants to invite from the waitlist who don't have acceptances elsewhere? I am hoping to hear from FIU soon. I just got rejected from my other waitlist school. FIU is all I have left. Thanks!

Hey Dooya, thanks for the info. From my understanding admin deans have access to the AMCAS report after May 15th and can see which applicants have been accepted elsewhere. Is this where they can figure out which applicants to invite from the waitlist who don't have acceptances elsewhere? I am hoping to hear from FIU soon. I just got rejected from my other waitlist school. FIU is all I have left. Thanks!

That is my understanding from what I have heard. Best thing to do in your position is to get prepared to reapply, but you may still have a chance. Good luck!

Did any one get any news yet? Do you think FIU still has any spots available or is it pretty much over.....

Can a current medical student give a general breakdown of the class schedule for the first two years, what blocks of time will be taken up by class? Also which classes require mandatory attendance on campus?

Thank You

Can a current medical student please provide some insight as the odds of getting off the wait list at this time? Preferably someone associated with the adcom.

Can a current medical student give a general breakdown of the class schedule for the first two years, what blocks of time will be taken up by class? Also which classes require mandatory attendance on campus?

Thank You
First year you have a genetics/biochem/molec bio class, then anatomy, then physiology, then pathology, then pharm. 95% of the time those classes are optional and you do not need to attend. Those classes run M-Thrus from 8 am (sometimes 9 am) - 12 pm. Either Monday or Tuesday you will have a clinical skills class that runs from 1-5 pm (more like 3:30-4 as you often get out early) that is always mandatory. On Friday you have some statistics, ethics, social economics, law, humanism, alternative medicine, professionalism etc. classes that are mandatory and go from about 10 am to 12 and then from 1-3ish.

Second year you start with organ systems and you have a different system every 4-8 weeks. Friday's are the same as first year.

Can a current medical student please provide some insight as the odds of getting off the wait list at this time? Preferably someone associated with the adcom.
Unfortunately, I think that's pretty much impossible to know unless you are actually on the adcom.

ugh, i just want the rejection letter already! >:,(

Moi aussi. At least we know where we stand... Kind of. Not really. -__-
Salut Troy!!
Je voulais juste te dire merci pour tout ce que tu fais pour moi et pour la communauté de SDN. J'apprécie vraiment. Voila!!
A bientôt!!

I was told that HWCOM has actually accepted a student off the waitlist 5 days before the actual classes for 1st year med school were to begin....so just hang in there guys! Good Luck

just withdrew my acceptance today. Best of luck to all of you!

~3.8, 30, spanish speaker, lots of work with URM's in Mexico, OOS. good luck!

Can any current students clarify the criteria for AOA?