2013-2014 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Miami native and would be thrilled to stay home. FIU has a strong program!! Good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am seriously counting down the days; OOS applicants holla ; )

California : (
I'm super into primary care (family medicine) so I'm loving the whole shadow a family for 4 years thing.

Ouch feel for you. Hopefully this cycle is successful for the both of us. I'll be cheering for you!:luck::luck:

California : (
I'm super into primary care (family medicine) so I'm loving the whole shadow a family for 4 years thing.

I agree! That NeighborhoodHELP program is so unique. It's awesome how quickly they immerse you into the field. Anyone know more about it other than what they have on their website?

I agree! That NeighborhoodHELP program is so unique. It's awesome how quickly they immerse you into the field. Anyone know more about it other than what they have on their website?

I've heard it has gotten mixed reviews from students, but can't recall where I heard this. I read way too much about this stuff. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone knows the average MCAT score for this school? Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
31 with a range between 27 - 35 (Bottom 10% - Top 10%)

Also looking to apply here! Good luck everyone

Thank you! My first choice is UM, but FIU is definitely in the list.

Is this school reasonable OOS friendly? I am applying from CA and want to know if this is a reasonable school for me to apply to with a 3.8/30.

Is this school reasonable OOS friendly? I am applying from CA and want to know if this is a reasonable school for me to apply to with a 3.8/30.

Your stats are decent but FIU isn't OOS friendly. If you're applying broadly it's worth a shot.

Applying here, Non-trad, OOS but family ties to the area.
Good luck to us all!

Good luck current applicants!

I applied OOS from California without any strong ties to Florida and I'll be starting classes this fall. A lot of the people on my interview date were OOS as well. I would extremely encourage you to apply! If I recall, the secondary was only $30 anyway. I almost didn't turn mine in, but I'm extremely glad I ended up submitting it.

I think the low number for OOS matriculants may be more related to the OOS tuition than a strong IS bias. Just make sure you're comfortable with that number, and the costs of interview traveling as well.

Good luck current applicants!

I applied OOS from California without any strong ties to Florida and I'll be starting classes this fall. A lot of the people on my interview date were OOS as well. I would extremely encourage you to apply! If I recall, the secondary was only $30 anyway. I almost didn't turn mine in, but I'm extremely glad I ended up submitting it.

I think the low number for OOS matriculants may be more related to the OOS tuition than a strong IS bias. Just make sure you're comfortable with that number, and the costs of interview traveling as well.

To qualify as an OOS applicant, don't you need to have stats that are significantly higher than the instate applicants? I have a 3.8/30 and am worried that my MCAT will hold me back.

Good luck guys, I'll be matriculating at FIU next month. I'll try to be around during the year so PM me if you guys have any questions as you're deciding/interviewing.

Good luck to everyone! I went to undergrad and grad school at FIU. The school has grown a lot and its an awesome place to get a great education. It's my top choice school! Im a nontraditional student, older, with an undergrad 3.2GPA, 3.4 science, and 3.85 grad GPA. Taking my MCAT this Saturday. Excited!

Are u EDP? I wonder why no one else on here has said they've received one.

No, I'm not... That is super strange. Sorry guys, I'd give you the essay prompts if I could get to them! There is just a class chart that you have to fill out and I don't have the time now :/

No, I'm not... That is super strange. Sorry guys, I'd give you the essay prompts if I could get to them! There is just a class chart that you have to fill out and I don't have the time now :/

This is so weird. Has anyone else received a secondary?

I got it, not EDP. Have not looked at it yet though.

I got the secondary 3 days ago, just submitted yesterday.

1200 char limit (including spaces!) on these:

1. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

2. Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

3. What makes you a unique individual? How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body at the College of Medicine?

4. Provide an example of a situation in which you have had a challenge working with a peer in school or a colleague in a work setting. What did you learn from this?

I got the secondary 3 days ago, just submitted yesterday.

1200 char limit (including spaces!) on these:

1. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

2. Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

3. What makes you a unique individual? How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body at the College of Medicine?

4. Provide an example of a situation in which you have had a challenge working with a peer in school or a colleague in a work setting. What did you learn from this?

Thank you!!
I was AMCAS verified on 06/10, I don't know why I haven't received one yet :(

Thank you!!
I was AMCAS verified on 06/10, I don't know why I haven't received one yet :(

Don't worry, I was in the same position with a bunch of other schools (was verified on 06/11) - the secondaries are probably sent out in batches based on random criteria. Just hold tight and pre-write :)

i heard you take the Step as a 3rd year here. anybody care to comment about the advantages vs. disadvantages of this? thank you in advance

Has anybody gotten a completion email or anything? I submitted my secondary on Monday, but can't find anything about LOR status...

Has anybody gotten a completion email or anything? I submitted my secondary on Monday, but can't find anything about LOR status...

Nope. I'm not sure how we are supposed to see if we are complete or not.

Hey guys, my status changed… It now says 'Preliminary Review Completed." hmmmmm

What did it say before that? Secondary Completed?

Yep! According to last year's thread, it looks like this is the last update before they start inviting for interviews. Hopefully we'll start hearing in the next week or 2?

Yep! According to last year's thread, it looks like this is the last update before they start inviting for interviews. Hopefully we'll start hearing in the next week or 2?

Were you notified by email or were you just checking the site?

i heard you take the Step as a 3rd year here. anybody care to comment about the advantages vs. disadvantages of this? thank you in advance

So far our classes have done very well on Step 1. The first graduating class averaged ~235, and it's likely that this year did the same or better based on people I've talked to. Our clinical training is very good, and taking the exam after 3rd year can only help. We also take NBME exams (usually finals) in every course and are provided with shortened cumulative NBME practice tests at the end of each year (not graded) to gauge our progress and to get more practice. I only have word of mouth from friends at other schools, but it seems we do better than or as well as the other Florida institutions.

Preliminary review also complete wohoo

Same here. I'm hoping so bad for an interview invite. I don't know if I'll be screened out pre-interview with my 32 MCAT with a 6 in VR :scared:

OMG you did great!!! I scored a 7 on the PS ): I'm sure you'll get an invite!!!