2013-2014 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1000 character limits, submitted at 11:01, complete/ready for review email at 11:02.... Why can't all secondaries be this easy?!

Members don't see this ad.

1000 character limits, submitted at 11:01, complete/ready for review email at 11:02.... Why can't all secondaries be this easy?!

Wait.. You got a complete email? My status just changed online and I got a "thank you for submitting" email...

Wait.. You got a complete email? My status just changed online and I got a "thank you for submitting" email...

+1. My status just has that they've received all my documents/letters and my application is ready for review. No email about status change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all -
I am a rising second year at Tufts. Feel free to PM me / post questions here about Tufts, Boston in general, etc, and I'll try and answer them when I can. Good luck to everyone!
-L

Hey all -
I am a rising second year at Tufts. Feel free to PM me / post questions here about Tufts, Boston in general, etc, and I'll try and answer them when I can. Good luck to everyone!
-L

Hey! Thanks for offering to answer questions. I'm from the Boston area, and would love to be back in the world's greatest city for med school. Two quick questions:

1) What distinguishes Tufts from other, similar schools in urban environments? I'm thinking the BU/NYU/GW/Georgetowns of the world. Obviously all great schools, but is there anything you think Tufts does particularly well?

2) A question specifically about Boston- given how much Harvard/Partners dominates the Boston medical landscape, what's the clinical training like at Tufts? How does Tufts Medical Center stack up as a teaching environment? (Obviously you haven't gone through clerkships, but I was curious what the scuttlebutt was among the students). This would probably rank as my biggest concern, and am definitely curious to see how Tufts holds its own in such a crowded space.

Thanks so much!

Hey all -
-L

I think I saw in another thread that you are in the Maine Track? Could you talk about that a bit? Are you a Maine native? What led you to choose that program?

Submitted secondary today! Very hopeful!

GL all!

Submitted my secondary today! :)

Hey! Thanks for offering to answer questions. I'm from the Boston area, and would love to be back in the world's greatest city for med school. Two quick questions:

1) What distinguishes Tufts from other, similar schools in urban environments? I'm thinking the BU/NYU/GW/Georgetowns of the world. Obviously all great schools, but is there anything you think Tufts does particularly well?

2) A question specifically about Boston- given how much Harvard/Partners dominates the Boston medical landscape, what's the clinical training like at Tufts? How does Tufts Medical Center stack up as a teaching environment? (Obviously you haven't gone through clerkships, but I was curious what the scuttlebutt was among the students). This would probably rank as my biggest concern, and am definitely curious to see how Tufts holds its own in such a crowded space.

Thanks so much!

1. Tufts is really good about having early clinical experience. Compared to my friends at other schools in the area I have already had far more interactions with patients than they have. Not only does this help keep school interesting, it has been useful when working on outside projects with physicians who are often surprised at how easily Tufts students can handle real patients after only a single year.

2. From what I have heard clerkships a good but not great. It can't really match MGH in terms of resources or opportunities in obscure specialties, but it is still a reasonable option. However, it is important to note that you can do rotations at a number of other locations. For example, Lahey clinic is great for anything neuro related, Newton-Wellsley does a lot of ortho, and Bay State medical center has a great surgery and trauma department. BU and Harvard may have larger flagship hospitals with more learning opportunities, but the Tufts network as a whole still has a lot to offer.

Is there any interaction here between students and/or faculty at Tufts and other institutions?

For example, if I'm a Tufts student but really interested in a research initiative at Harvard - does stuff like that ever happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any interaction here between students and/or faculty at Tufts and other institutions?

For example, if I'm a Tufts student but really interested in a research initiative at Harvard - does stuff like that ever happen?

Summer after M1?

Am I the only one who just now got the secondary? Seems like everyone else got theirs late July o_O I only got mine two days ago

I submitted my primary 7/4 and got the secondary on Friday, approximately a month after submitting AMCAS, but I won't be verified until sometime next week. Anyone else have this happen? I know some schools send the secondary before verification, but I was sort of confused about if there was a reason that they waited a month since I still haven't been verified yet.

I submitted my primary 7/4 and got the secondary on Friday, approximately a month after submitting AMCAS, but I won't be verified until sometime next week. Anyone else have this happen? I know some schools send the secondary before verification, but I was sort of confused about if there was a reason that they waited a month since I still haven't been verified yet.

It probably just took that long for AMCAS to transmit your info to Tufts? I assume even that is backlogged with the high volume of applications.

Anyone here applying Maine Track? I'd love to hear from some fellow Mainers and their thoughts on the cycle.

It probably just took that long for AMCAS to transmit your info to Tufts? I assume even that is backlogged with the high volume of applications.

Possibly, although I got a secondary from another school two days after submitting AMCAS so I assumed they transmitted it to all the schools at the same time. Whateva :shrug:

Possibly, although I got a secondary from another school two days after submitting AMCAS so I assumed they transmitted it to all the schools at the same time. Whateva :shrug:

I just received mine a few days ago and I had submitted 7/21. I doubt it was a 'transmission' issue since I received a few other 2nds only a few days after submission.

I decided there's no rhyme or reason to how medical school applications work. Throw the dice...

Summer after M1?

Yeah, a lot of students do research in the summer after M1, however the ones I know do said research at Tufts. I'm not sure what the restrictions or requirements for doing work at other schools is, but there are a lot of opportunities at Tufts, which may be why they don't go elsewhere?

Exact same for me. Submitted primary on 7/4 and got secondary this past Friday. I'm just assuming they send in batches. The early people didnt get theirs til late July.

You are free to do research with whoever you want, though I think it is just harder to get a position at other schools since most of the faculty there will prioritize there own students. However, during the summer after M1 you can usually have better luck at finding a non-tufts opportunity. It is important to note though, that Tufts will provide less summer funding for a research project with a non-tufts researcher.

Are the Maine Track matriculants separate from the "regular" (for lack of a better word) matriculants?

i submitted my primary 7/4 and got the secondary on friday, approximately a month after submitting amcas, but i won't be verified until sometime next week. Anyone else have this happen? I know some schools send the secondary before verification, but i was sort of confused about if there was a reason that they waited a month since i still haven't been verified yet.

+1

Are the Maine Track matriculants separate from the "regular" (for lack of a better word) matriculants?

No, The Maine track and non main track students will be together and take the same classes during the first two years. The only time you would separate is during externships and preceptorships or any real time they send you out into the community. The Maine kids will go to towns in Maine and everyone else will go to towns in Mass. Then of course, third and fourth year is in Portland.

You're separate for admissions purposes. They have a certain amount of spots for Maine Track and a certain amount for regular MD. It's a much smaller pool (I have connections to Maine and know at least a dozen people who have gone through the Maine track) than the regular MD and your interview is at MMC in Portland and is separate from any "regular" interview.

did you guys put anything down for "do you wish to include any comments...."?

did you guys put anything down for "do you wish to include any comments...."?

I wrote a sort of "What I like about Tufts/why Tufts specifically will help me reach my goals" essay. Its one of my top OOS choices so I figure I should let them know

Has anyone applied ED to TUSM for 2013-2014 application cycle?

When should we be expecting the interview invites to roll in? For either regular or Maine Track.

Does anyone know how Tufts feels about "in the area" emails?

From last year's thread:
+1. I sent an in-the-area and received a suspiciously-automated appearing email a few days later saying, basically, "Wait your turn." :rolleyes:

Also, last year, they didn't even send out IIs until late September.

Does anyone know how Tufts feels about "in the area" emails?

similar to the above post, they pretty much told me that they won't look at applications out of order...

Did any of you guys have trouble shrinking your diversity essay down to 1000 characters? My original one has 3000+ characters :(

Did any of you guys have trouble shrinking your diversity essay down to 1000 characters? My original one has 3000+ characters :(

Yeah. I pretty much just trimmed it down to the main points while removing context/specific experiences associated with my background. I'll expand upon that if I'm lucky enough to get an interview

Just finished filling out my secondary app for Tufts! Now I just have to wait for my primary AMCAS app to be submitted... Oh this wonderful backup AMCAS is having!

Based on last year's thread, IIs didn't come out until early to mid-September

I also think they had a delay last year if you read more into the thread. Hopefully we see some action soon though. Maybe waiting till after Labor day?

II! Complete sometime in end of july, average stats for this school

II! First choice as of now. So excited!

Also:
Complete 7/24, average stats, but did their SMP.

Happy to see invites going out! Anyone hear on the Maine track yet?

Happy to see invites going out! Anyone hear on the Maine track yet?

I expect they won't be out for a bit...we tend to do things a little bit slower in Maine ;) are you from the 207??

I expect they won't be out for a bit...we tend to do things a little bit slower in Maine ;) are you from the 207??

Good point lol. Wishful thinking! I'm actually OOS but very strong ties!