2013-2014 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just now. Complete 7/29.

Members don't see this ad.

Good point lol. Wishful thinking! I'm actually OOS but very strong ties!

I lied...Maine Track IIs are going out at the same time as regular IIs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 7/24....wondering if my application has been passed over ::sigh::

interview invite today! was complete 7/29.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear some non-Mainers are interested in moving to the state! But remember, you always be "from away" to a local :laugh:
Actually... I'm from Biddeford Pool. Awkward, bro.

Actually... I'm from Biddeford Pool. Awkward, bro.

You Southern Mainers are just Northern Massachusetts ;)

Your MDApps says Arkansas lol

for those who got an ii-is there a status change on the secondary app site?

Interviewing on Halloween! Anyone know of a good place to stay? I'm staying 3 nights and these hotels are expensive. Already sent an email for a student host, but it's taking awhile to get a reply.

Otherwise, I don't know if this is kosher, but do people here split rooms?

Interviewing on Halloween! Anyone know of a good place to stay? I'm staying 3 nights and these hotels are expensive. Already sent an email for a student host, but it's taking awhile to get a reply.

You can try air bnb - I got a great deal for Pittsburgh.

There is a hostel nearby the school. I'm fairly certain it's very reasonably priced. It's new so it's probably still nice, but you'll share rooms. I think its hosteling international. I havent stayed there but did stay at the same hostel in new york! Also like someone else said air bnb is awesome!

There is a hostel nearby the school. I'm fairly certain it's very reasonably priced. It's new so it's probably still nice, but you'll share rooms. I think its hosteling international. I havent stayed there but did stay at the same hostel in new york! Also like someone else said air bnb is awesome!

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Gotta stay away from dairy I guess.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Gotta stay away from dairy I guess.

?

I've never stayed at that hostel but I've passed by several times when I was in college. It actually looks awesome from the outside. The lobby had glass windows and you could see a bunch of people chilling there.

?

I've never stayed at that hostel but I've passed by several times when I was in college. It actually looks awesome from the outside. The lobby had glass windows and you could see a bunch of people chilling there.

Look at the name of the person I was quoting...

II a few days ago. Heading up there on 10/15. Pretty pumped, it'll be my fourth interview!

Be patient on the student host, there is a 2nd year exam this week so most of us are a little preoccupied right now :(

As for hotels, you can try looking in Cambridge or Brookline. Both have pretty easy T-access to campus and are less expensive than in the city center.

Also be aware that 3 nights might be hard for student host. You could maybe try and split the night between multiple students or student and hotel.

Be patient on the student host, there is a 2nd year exam this week so most of us are a little preoccupied right now :(

As for hotels, you can try looking in Cambridge or Brookline. Both have pretty easy T-access to campus and are less expensive than in the city center.

Also be aware that 3 nights might be hard for student host. You could maybe try and split the night between multiple students or student and hotel.

How do things work in terms of the student hosting? Like an air mattress/futon for a bed? Eat dinner and so forth on campus? Any past experiences hosting applicants that you'd like to share?

I actually haven't hosted before, but a friends has. Sleeping arrangements depends on the host, though most likely a couch or air mattress. Usually my friend will give offer to give a quick tour of the facilities and area around school. He will also usually grab dinner with the visitor if he/she wants. In general, hosts are pretty open to answering any questions/concerns the applicant may have. I would say the one thing for visitors is to have good communication and check your phone/e-mail. The most annoying thing for a host is when the applicant is late and cannot does not respond to any messages, especially since the host usually has a their own schedule to deal with and needs to know what is going on.

Is it true that tufts superscores multiple mcats?

Is it true that tufts superscores multiple mcats?
From the Tufts website:

"Multiple MCAT Scores

Many applicants to TUSM apply with more than one set of MCAT scores. Our policy is to consider the two most recent sets of scores and note the higher MCAT total of the two sets."

Nope I never got a complete email.

After submitting my secondary I received the following:

"We have received your submitted Secondary Application to Tufts University School of Medicine. [...] Your application will be considered complete when your AMCAS application is "Verified", our minimum number of letters is reached and a valid MCAT score is received by AMCAS."

II one month later

My complete email read:

"We are contacting you to confirm that all required documents for your application to Tufts University School of Medicine have been received. Your Secondary Application (https://apply.med.tufts.edu) is now considered complete and will enter into our review process. Selected applicants will be invited to visit our school for personal interviews between September and March. Students who are invited for interviews will be notified by email. This correspondence is also recorded on the Secondary website under "Communication Status".

We appreciate your interest in Tufts University School of Medicine."

Congrats to the IIs today- mind sharing your stats?

After submitting my secondary I received the following:

"We have received your submitted Secondary Application to Tufts University School of Medicine. [...] Your application will be considered complete when your AMCAS application is "Verified", our minimum number of letters is reached and a valid MCAT score is received by AMCAS."

II one month later

Yea I got that after I turned in my secondary, but no complete email. II 3 weeks after I was complete (according to the status page).

if the status still says "application is ready" does that mean they haven't looked at it yet or it was passed over? I submitted before these dates

if the status still says "application is ready" does that mean they haven't looked at it yet or it was passed over? I submitted before these dates

It means it's complete and ready to be reviewed. I don't think Tufts changes anything unless you receive an interview or rejection. Just have to wait.

Does anyone have any advice as to how the interviews are/what questions are asked?

Does anyone have any advice as to how the interviews are/what questions are asked?

I interviewed last cycle. Interview day has two groups, one that interviews before lunch while one takes a tour, then vice versa after lunch, if I remember correctly. You are taken to a small room with a table and two chairs where your interviewer is and you're introduced. You'll interview with two people - mine was a doctor at Tufts and then a fourth year student. The physician was very conversational. We went over parts of my application, I described specific examples from my activities, it was pleasant and conversational. I had been a scribe and he was more interested in that part of my application, because it sounded like he was interested in the program for himself, haha. The fourth year student was a little more difficult. He was clearly asking me questions off a survey (they have a computer in front of them) and it was less conversational. Each interview was about half an hour long.

EDIT: They had both read my personal statement and knew what my stats were. I'm fairly certain my whole app was in front of them on the computer.

I had obviously prepared answers to why I want to be a doctor, tell me about yourself, strengths, weaknesses, difficult situations, etc. But I don't think I actually used any of them. Maybe discussing weaknesses, but that was about it as far as stereotypical questions go. Make sure you have concrete examples from your experiences. Every time I gave a vague, feely answer, the fourth year would say "example?"

Good luck! :luck:

To add on to what MilkPlegm said, the style varies a lot based on the interview. It is fairly relaxed, and I got asked a lot of non-application questions (e.g what was the last book you read?). I have heard that some interviewers tend to be ask more abstract or ethical questions, but that is less common I think. As with any interview, just avoid getting flustered. If they ask something that you are not sure about, do your best to say something intelligent, and don't let it throw you off your game.

Everyone interviews after lunch, either before or after the tour. You get to talk to first and second years during lunch, and you can ask around to see if they know your interviewer and maybe get a heads up if they are especially tricky.

Finally, be sure to introduce yourself to Emily (the person running the day) and thank her when you leave. She falls in that category of people that does not get to vote on your admission, but can certainly tank it if she wants to, so be nice.

How do things work in terms of the student hosting? Like an air mattress/futon for a bed? Eat dinner and so forth on campus? Any past experiences hosting applicants that you'd like to share?

Student hosts are told that interviewees shouldn't expect to be housed for more than one night, or be provided with food/transportation. However, it really depends on your student host. Some hosts like to hang out with interviewees and show them around, while others just open the door and give interviewees a place to crash.

Sleeping situation depends on the host.. some people have an available sofa / air mattress and others only have space on the floor for a sleeping bag. Just email your host and ask what accomodations they have before confirming.

The only meal you're officially provided is your interview lunch, but the host might be extra nice and treat you out :)