2013-2014 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Re-applicant here from several cycles ago. Patched some holes in the boat and ready for round two. I'm ready for you REL.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS applicant but have seriously been wanting to go to this school since day one! Florida is a second home to me now and I would love to make it my primary home!

Just wanted to drop by and wish you guys the best of luck this cycle. UCF is a tremendous place!

My top choice, for sure. I'm finishing my Bachelor's here and I pass by every day I go to school, so I hope they'll consider that. Good luck to everyone!

Oos friendly? Is there a space on the secondary to say you've family who grew up in the area?

Excited about this one. Want to learn more about the school and their program specifics so if anyone has info please fill me in. Like how do they balance clinicals/research and how much hands-on exposure do you get in the first two years...?
:D

Excited about this one. Want to learn more about the school and their program specifics so if anyone has info please fill me in. Like how do they balance clinicals/research and how much hands-on exposure do you get in the first two years...?
:D

Ditto

I just took the MCAT yesterday and I hope it was enough. UCF is my dream school. I'll always be a Knight!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone worried that this is a new(ish) school?

All you have to do is visit one time and that thought will never cross your mind again. I've toured a few times and have gone to multiple presentations and it is nothing short of impressive.

I don't know much about UCF but I am excited to check it out. FSU is the only school I really know anything about and I am definitely looking to stay instate.

I'm so excited! I have my whole application ready for submission!! Good luck guys! Did all the Ucf undergrads do dr Lopez packet?

I'm so excited! I have my whole application ready for submission!! Good luck guys! Did all the Ucf undergrads do dr Lopez packet?

I'm a returning non-trad who didn't meet the residency requirement in time so I won't be

I did it! I heard he won't start uploading it until the end of June…. :confused:

I didn't. When I talked to him, he made it seem like it would take a long time to be ready, and I wanted to submit early. I've heard that the letter packet is preferred, but I felt that early submission outweighed the benefits of a late packet.

I did it! I heard he won't start uploading it until the end of June…. :confused:

This is ok since med schools will not get first applicant downloads until early July and wont realistically begin to examine applications for interviews for a week or two thereafter at the earliest. The key is working with them to ensure that you do your part early so they can get it done for you. It is a good package and something to take advantage of if available to you. I wish you well in the upcoming app cycle!!

We are quickly becoming the program in the state with the creation of the med city to include all of the health teaching/clinical/biomed research focus supported buy big business and some of the Fortune 500 projects. Also strong Step scores and a very strong first Match. We're not a med school created for primary care, but to create the med city and all that goes with it......a huge tax revenue for the state ($460b when completed)......this is massive and exciting...and you get to help build it! Community support it massive and every student admitted has received some form or scholarship or grant......25% non-Florida to diversify the most diverse and collaborative student body in the state.

Reactions: 1 user
This is ok since med schools will not get first applicant downloads until early July and wont realistically begin to examine applications for interviews for a week or two thereafter at the earliest. The key is working with them to ensure that you do your part early so they can get it done for you. It is a good package and something to take advantage of if available to you. I wish you well in the upcoming app cycle!!

We are quickly becoming the program in the state with the creation of the med city to include all of the health teaching/clinical/biomed research focus supported buy big business and some of the Fortune 500 projects. Also strong Step scores and a very strong first Match. We're not a med school created for primary care, but to create the med city and all that goes with it......a huge tax revenue for the state ($460b when completed)......this is massive and exciting...and you get to help build it! Community support it massive and every student admitted has received some form or scholarship or grant......25% non-Florida to diversify the most diverse and collaborative student body in the state.

Thanks REL! I turned in all of my materials extremely early, so you guys should be getting everything as soon as he starts sending them :) So excited to apply here!

Hey REL! First I want to say that you are awesome! I have been following previous year threads and you are so helpful!! Sadly, I have a question that might be a little silly...

What is this PHAPO packet I keep seeing? Is this only for in state applicants or Undergrads at UCF? Because I keep seeing it and I feel like I am already behind on something!!! Fyi I am an OOS applicant.

Hey REL! First I want to say that you are awesome! I have been following previous year threads and you are so helpful!! Sadly, I have a question that might be a little silly...

What is this PHAPO packet I keep seeing? Is this only for in state applicants or Undergrads at UCF? Because I keep seeing it and I feel like I am already behind on something!!! Fyi I am an OOS applicant.

That is the undergrad prehealth letter packet at ucf

Pre-Health Professions Advising Office for UCF undergrads. Probably anyone not attending UCF is at a disadvantage. When it comes to letters this is very thorough, complete, and fair.

Pre-Health Professions Advising Office for UCF undergrads. Probably anyone not attending UCF is at a disadvantage. When it comes to letters this is very thorough, complete, and fair.

Well after being nosey and looking up what the whole packet entails I realized that my school actually did the exact same thing! Does that help at all or am I still at a disadvantage? >_<

Well after being nosey and looking up what the whole packet entails I realized that my school actually did the exact same thing! Does that help at all or am I still at a disadvantage? >_<

The pre-health letter package is almost always preferred over a bundle of individual letters, so yes it should help. Several schools dont do anything other than help bundle the individual letters and submit them for the applicants, so they dont get the advantage of a pre-health committee's endorsement.

Will be an OOS applicant! Does UCF have a preference for its OOS students (southeast etc.) I will be applying as Georgia resident.

Will be an OOS applicant! Does UCF have a preference for its OOS students (southeast etc.) I will be applying as Georgia resident.

We do reserve 25% of our 120 seats of non-Florida residents. We do not have preference for SE US, but when accepted those from that area of the country are more likely to stay due to travel considerations. We do have several from Georgia institutions in our student body.

We do reserve 25% of our 120 seats for non-Florida residents. We do not have preference for SE US, but when accepted those from that area of the country are more likely to stay due to proximity/travel considerations. We do have several from Georgia institutions in our student body.

We do reserve 25% of our 120 seats for non-Florida residents. We do not have preference for SE US, but when accepted those from that area of the country are more likely to stay due to proximity/travel considerations. We do have several from Georgia institutions in our student body.

Thank you for the help REL. I was looking through last years thread and noticed how forth coming you were about the application process at UCF. I really hope you will be able to provide the same type of support for applicants this cycle.

Got a question for you: Does UCF consider engineering LOR as science/non-science/both? My school has a committee packet and it will contain: 1-biochem prof, 2-engineering, 1-postdoc from lab (PI letter will be coming in separately; also this is the person I worked under while doing my research for class credit but I'am not sure if it will be considered "faculty" letter). I will also be sending 1 or 2 MD + 1 PI letters.
-> will this fulfill the letter requirements for UCF?

Thank you for the help REL. I was looking through last years thread and noticed how forth coming you were about the application process at UCF. I really hope you will be able to provide the same type of support for applicants this cycle.

Got a question for you: Does UCF consider engineering LOR as science/non-science/both? My school has a committee packet and it will contain: 1-biochem prof, 2-engineering, 1-postdoc from lab (PI letter will be coming in separately; also this is the person I worked under while doing my research for class credit but I'am not sure if it will be considered "faculty" letter). I will also be sending 1 or 2 MD + 1 PI letters.
-> will this fulfill the letter requirements for UCF?

Ur covered with these letters. I wish you well.

Ur covered with these letters. I wish you well.

Thanks for the help REL.
Would you be willing to take a look at my WRMC thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1005928) and tell me what you think about my chances as well as my school list.

Appreciate you input.

On a side note, I am already getting anxious for the application cycle to be over :oops::oops::oops::oops:. This is going to be a LONG year:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Hi REL,

I will be applying OOS and was just wondering if the "optional essay" at the end of the secondary (at least from last year's thread) is a good place to explain ties to Central Florida?

Would love to go here! Florida is my second home :)

Hi REL,

I will be applying OOS and was just wondering if the "optional essay" at the end of the secondary (at least from last year's thread) is a good place to explain ties to Central Florida?

Would love to go here! Florida is my second home :)

Thats a good question because I am in the same boat. I am praying I get to move to Florida for Med School!!!

(Warning: second hand info). I had a friend who met with someone in admissions there yesterday who says she was told there is a "is there anything else we should know about you" section that is good for information like "first choice" and ties to the state etc......but ucf reserves 25% for oos students so I doubt state ties are crucial

Application Submitted! My packet is complete! Just waiting on them to upload it! Good luck everyone! UCF was my first added to my application! So excited! :love::love::love::love::love:

(Warning: second hand info). I had a friend who met with someone in admissions there yesterday who says she was told there is a "is there anything else we should know about you" section that is good for information like "first choice" and ties to the state etc......but ucf reserves 25% for oos students so I doubt state ties are crucial

Incoming MS1 here...

Last year there was an 'is there anything else you would like us to know' section in the secondary, though I would probably not use it as a first choice explanation. The reason I would not use this is interviews change your prospective on schools A LOT. I went in to the application cycle with my own internal ranking of schools and came out ranking them a lot differently after interviewing. I think most applicants would agree with this so saying UCF is your #1 for any reason other than extreme personal/family reasons that are central to Orlando seems like a bad idea and may show immaturity/naivety in the application process.

As for state ties, I had zero state ties and had only been to Orlando once before my interview and I was accepted. Their large OOS acceptance rate makes state ties less important here than a lot of other schools I would think. And they are looking to build a name for themselves, so they need students that go to Florida for med school and then move back to their home state or some other state to spread the UCF name around the country.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure there will be other UCF students browsing this page in the future.

Also, if you get invited to an interview, you're going to have a good time. Best of luck to all of you!!

Application Submitted! My packet is complete! Just waiting on them to upload it! Good luck everyone! UCF was my first added to my application! So excited! :love::love::love::love::love:

I just got an email from the PHPAO today saying that my packet is going to be uploaded tomorrow! So they're getting it done! :D (I did submit mine as early as possible, but it looks like they're ahead of schedule)

Incoming MS1 here...

Last year there was an 'is there anything else you would like us to know' section in the secondary, though I would probably not use it as a first choice explanation. The reason I would not use this is interviews change your prospective on schools A LOT. I went in to the application cycle with my own internal ranking of schools and came out ranking them a lot differently after interviewing. I think most applicants would agree with this so saying UCF is your #1 for any reason other than extreme personal/family reasons that are central to Orlando seems like a bad idea and may show immaturity/naivety in the application process.

As for state ties, I had zero state ties and had only been to Orlando once before my interview and I was accepted. Their large OOS acceptance rate makes state ties less important here than a lot of other schools I would think. And they are looking to build a name for themselves, so they need students that go to Florida for med school and then move back to their home state or some other state to spread the UCF name around the country.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'm sure there will be other UCF students browsing this page in the future.

Also, if you get invited to an interview, you're going to have a good time. Best of luck to all of you!!

That makes a lot of sense, being that they are a new school. Good insight!

Still though, I would think that stating ties would make you a more competitive OOS applicant over another OOS applicant because if you have family there and whatnot you would be more comfortable and thus more likely to succeed in school yadda yadda.

Incoming MS1 here...

Oh, so they actually like when u go to Florida for school then go back home? That's odd, but cool. Did someone actually mention that? I have family in Florida, but would love to practice back home afterwards. I wonder if it would be more advantageous to mention strong ties to Florida from family or to mention I'd happily go elsewhere to get their name out there?

Oh, so they actually like when u go to Florida for school then go back home? That's odd, but cool. Did someone actually mention that? I have family in Florida, but would love to practice back home afterwards. I wonder if it would be more advantageous to mention strong ties to Florida from family or to mention I'd happily go elsewhere to get their name out there?

No one ever said they want students to go to UCF and then leave Florida forever, but based on other things that they did say, it was clear they do need students to practice elsewhere to get their name know; whether that be for residence, fellowship, or as an attending.

I'm not sure stating either makes that much of a difference and I think everyone is over thinking my initial comment. Basically if you have family ties, great, but you're still considered OOS and they only accept so many (though SixStringPsych's comment is relevant). And saying you're willing to practice elsewhere could come off as trying to hard or over thinking their mission. State what comes naturally from the secondary prompts and don't try to force yourself into the mold you think they want.

Also, the main secondary prompt last year was basically 'tell me about yourself' so the 'is there anything else' is kinda irrelevant in this case as anything you think is important should come out there IHMO.

No one ever said they want students to go to UCF and then leave Florida forever, but based on other things that they did say, it was clear they do need students to practice elsewhere to get their name know; whether that be for residence, fellowship, or as an attending.

I'm not sure stating either makes that much of a difference and I think everyone is over thinking my initial comment. Basically if you have family ties, great, but you're still considered OOS and they only accept so many (though SixStringPsych's comment is relevant). And saying you're willing to practice elsewhere could come off as trying to hard or over thinking their mission. State what comes naturally from the secondary prompts and don't try to force yourself into the mold you think they want.

Also, the main secondary prompt last year was basically 'tell me about yourself' so the 'is there anything else' is kinda irrelevant in this case as anything you think is important should come out there IHMO.

Oh ok, that makes more sense, I misread. Thanks!

Does anyone have any good pictures of the med school other than whats on the site? Like facilities or classrooms? Just curious, I've been to the city and loved it but never seen the campus or anything.

Oh ok, that makes more sense, I misread. Thanks!

Does anyone have any good pictures of the med school other than whats on the site? Like facilities or classrooms? Just curious, I've been to the city and loved it but never seen the campus or anything.

the cadaver lab is beyond gorgeous....upstairs with a whole wall of windows overlooking the wetlands.....tons of huge tv montors so you can see the professor demonstrating

Looks awesome. I found a "viewbook" on the web page also I didn't see before. What are those fireworks for in the pic on the Facebook page? I wasn't even considering here, but my fam came down for a disney trip and I thought the city was great! Added last second.

They were for an opening ceremony. Dean German will tell you about it when you interview :)

I don't have any pictures, but the facilities themselves are gorgeous. The immediate surrounding area is a bit bare, but my interviewer took me up to the top floor where there was a giant window overlooking the campus and basically drew out the vision for making UCFCOM a world-class medical center.

I felt like I was Simba and he was Mufasa showing me the whole animal kingdom from the top of Pride Rock. :D

I've decided to apply here. had a couple questions though.

msar is a little vague on the ap policy for physics, ie it has an orange check mark instead of a green one. can someone elaborate? I've no courses in physics taken in undergrad above what i placed out of, but I've extensive engineering coursework. I also did well in the physical sciences portion of the mcat. am I covered here?

also, msar indicates i need a whopping five letters of recommendation. how exactly are those broken down, in terms of recommenders?

thanks in advance!

oos/nontrad