2013-2014 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It doesn't seem that it's the case based on the posts I've seen, but does the UChicago undergrad slogan of "where fun goes to die" at all apply to Pritzker*? :p

No. As hard as it is to believe, the culture at Pritzker is pretty much the antithesis of the culture at the College.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't seem that it's the case based on the posts I've seen, but does the UChicago undergrad slogan of "where fun goes to die" at all apply to Pritzker*? :p

Haha, I remember this motto while touring for undergrad.

man. secondary essays are hard! even as a nontrad! any tips, tots or NN?

Members don't see this ad :)
man. secondary essays are hard! even as a nontrad! any tips, tots or NN?

It's general, but my advice would be to 1) put some thought and effort into your responses and make them as meaningful as possible and 2) make your case for why Pritzker would be a great place for you to do your training. If you can do those things I'd call it a good of day.

Sent from my SGH-M919

It's general, but my advice would be to 1) put some thought and effort into your responses and make them as meaningful as possible and 2) make your case for why Pritzker would be a great place for you to do your training. If you can do those things I'd call it a good of day.

Sent from my SGH-M919

it took me over a week but i think I'm happy with my responses. do you know if they read these in conjunction with the primary? i allude to my activities but also bring up some new info. thanks for the advice nn, it's general but helpful.

it took me over a week but i think I'm happy with my responses. do you know if they read these in conjunction with the primary? i allude to my activities but also bring up some new info. thanks for the advice nn, it's general but helpful.

This is also my question - is it appropriate to write things in essays like "(refer to most meaningful statement)" .. It just seems more convenient and less redundant.

I'm sure they do - I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Prompts, when you get a chance?

"At the University of Chicago in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Additional Information. Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words.

I should add that the additional prompt really is optional. If you don't have anything pertinent to mention, my advice would be to not try and conjure something up to include. Just leave it blank.

Otherwise, good luck!

Sent from my SGH-M919

I should add that the additional prompt really is optional. If you don't have anything pertinent to mention, my advice would be to not try and conjure something up to include. Just leave it blank.

Otherwise, good luck!

Sent from my SGH-M919

Thank you!

So if Pritzker is one of our top choices do you think it would be worth just throwing together a paragraph or two on why we are interested in this school particularly? Or do you think the adcom is so used to reading the same things (e.g. research opportunities in lots of fields, free clinics to volunteer at, etc.) that they wont really care/it wont help us any?

Thank you!

So if Pritzker is one of our top choices do you think it would be worth just throwing together a paragraph or two on why we are interested in this school particularly? Or do you think the adcom is so used to reading the same things (e.g. research opportunities in lots of fields, free clinics to volunteer at, etc.) that they wont really care/it wont help us any?

The idea of "fit" is important to the school, so insofar as you address that I think it would be worthwhile. I wouldn't try and force something, though - meaningful reflection is important.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my secondary email. Do they send everyone who applies this, or is this something I should be excited about (like reaching the first step)?

I was about to post up the secondary prompts too.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: All AMCAS verified applicants receive an option to complete the secondary. They don't screen the primaries. Oh well :D

Last edited:
I was about to post up the secondary prompts too.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: All AMCAS verified applicants receive an option to complete the secondary. They don't screen the primaries. Oh well :D

They send them to all applicants. I'm not verified yet and I still got one :D

I still haven't gotten this secondary....

Before this train gets started, wait a couple of days before panicking. If you still haven't received it by the end of the week, then I would get in touch with the office. Sometimes there are processing delays. Also double check your spam folder as these notices commonly get routed there.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Before this train gets started, wait a couple of days before panicking. If you still haven't received it by the end of the week, then I would get in touch with the office. Sometimes there are processing delays. Also double check your spam folder as these notices commonly get routed there.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Ok. Thanks. Trying not to freak out.

Ok. Thanks. Trying not to freak out.

Haha, it's understandable. This was a problem last year so it's possible it could be a real issue. But it's not something to worry about now.

I'm not that far from the application process so I get the anxiety. But have no fear, it'll be fine. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919

Someone in admissions said they were sending them out as "batches" whole they optimize their systems

Someone in admissions said they were sending them out as "batches" whole they optimize their systems

if they're using Microsoft products I'm surprised they're not having more issues. that's what aamc uses... snap!

They send them to all applicants. I'm not verified yet and I still got one :D

Ooh, then it must be as they receive them. Good to know! I submitted my AMCAS around the 24th, but I'm not verified on the page either, hehe

Ooh, then it must be as they receive them. Good to know! I submitted my AMCAS around the 24th, but I'm not verified on the page either, hehe

It would seem so. I applied just a few days ago and already got the secondary.

Question: I realize that it is best to get these finished ASAP, but I will going on a week-long vacation soon. Does the rush still hold even though I won't be verified for another month?

Last edited:
It would seem so. I applied just a few days ago and already got the secondary.

Question: I realize that it is best to get these finished ASAP, but I will going on a week-long vacation soon. Does the rush still hold even though I won't be verified for another month?

Get your secondary in as quickly we you can without sacrificing quality and your life. You shouldn't wait just for the sake of waiting, but a week isn't going to make a difference. For what it's worth, it took me a month to get my secondary in and everything turned out fine. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919

i dunno if that's right either. i submitted the 10th, was verified the 11th, and added Chicago on the 16th of June. if i don't get anything by next week I'll start worrying.

Get your secondary in as quickly we you can without sacrificing quality and your life. You shouldn't wait just for the sake of waiting, but a week isn't going to make a difference. For what it's worth, it took me a month to get my secondary in and everything turned out fine. ;)

Sent from my SGH-M919

Hey Nick, any idea if Pritzker is doing super early IIs again this year? I'm not expecting one (since I don't have upper echelon stats), but I'm just curious.

That's odd. My AMCAS is already verified and I still haven't received the secondary. This is also true for me for Tulane -_- What a bummer. Will submitting essays later because we got the apps later affect us?

That's odd. My AMCAS is already verified and I still haven't received the secondary. This is also true for me for Tulane -_- What a bummer. Will submitting essays later because we got the apps later affect us?

I'd wager we're fine. consider the backlog of amcas primaries and the fact that we're only d-day plus 5, we're still way early. we have the prompts, so just pre-write and perfect those essays til you get it. it's what I'm doing.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. It's a bit frustrating, but I don't think receiving it a few days later will make a huge difference in the end. Like the person above me said, use this time to write some good essays.

Hey Nick, any idea if Pritzker is doing super early IIs again this year? I'm not expecting one (since I don't have upper echelon stats), but I'm just curious.

No idea - since I'm in the hospital now I don't run into the admissions staff as much and don't get the little updates I like to pepper you guys with. However, they generally start interviews by early August which makes me think they'll likely be sending out IIs relatively soon (within the next week or two is my guess). This really is pure speculation on my part though.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Pritzker's secondary says "invited" - anyone know what their screen is or how many people it includes?

Still no secondary here either :( verified in 6/10!

Hey guys,

Quick update from the office. Secondaries are being sent out whenever AMCAS transmits the application to Pritzker, regardless of whether the app has been verified or not. There are a variety of reasons for why you may not have received the secondary despite submitting your app early, so the office would like you guys to wait out the week to see if you receive the application. If you submitted your app in early June and haven't received the secondary by the start of next week, please get in touch with Dr. Charles Todd, our associate director of admissions. He can be reached at ctodd[AT]bsd[DOT]uchicago[DOT]edu.

Another reminder to make sure to double check your spam and trash folders just in case your message got marked as spam (relatively common occurrence) or it was accidentally deleted.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hey guys,

Quick update from the office. Secondaries are being sent out whenever AMCAS transmits the application to Pritzker, regardless of whether the app has been verified or not. There are a variety of reasons for why you may not have received the secondary despite submitting your app early, so the office would like you guys to wait out the week to see if you receive the application. If you submitted your app in early June and haven't received the secondary by the start of next week, please get in touch with Dr. Charles Todd, our associate director of admissions. He can be reached at ctodd[AT]bsd[DOT]uchicago[DOT]edu.

Another reminder to make sure to double check your spam and trash folders just in case your message got marked as spam (relatively common occurrence) or it was accidentally deleted.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thank you!!

Hey guys,

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thanks a lot!

deleted post

Last edited:
I credit Pritzker for their solid secondary essays. It really got me thinking about Pritzker. It is an amazing med school and easily my number one choice. Good luck to everyone and hope to see you guys during interview days!

+1. I put a lot of thought into mine. After two weeks of tweaking I'm finally happy with responses to all three prompts. I sure hope it pays off with an interview :)

Good luck! Yea, I have spent more time on my Pritzker essays than all my other ones combined so far haha
I really believe in the Pritzker mission

:ninja: Just dropping by (applying summer '14)

I heard at Pritzker, you're allowed to take one non-Priztker class (like one course offered for undergrads)? Say, if I wanted to take Topology, that could be possible? Did any of you guys take a class?

:ninja: Just dropping by (applying summer '14)

I heard at Pritzker, you're allowed to take one non-Priztker class (like one course offered for undergrads)? Say, if I wanted to take Topology, that could be possible? Did any of you guys take a class?

You are allowed to take any course at the university for elective credit. The spring quarter of MS1 requires 150 credits (1-2 courses) of electives, and I think there are also elective requirements in MS4, but I'm not sure. Pritzker obviously offers a variety of courses - some more clinically focused and others not. I took a course at the College on Chaucer as I have a background/interest in medieval literature. It's as simple as getting in touch with the prof and making sure they're cool with it. You can also take the classes P/F, which makes it even more enjoyable.

Marked complete today via status change.

I am really having some trouble with this diversity essay! I would be eternally grateful if fellow applicant (s) wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me. I'll PM it to you if you are willing! :)

I am really having some trouble with this diversity essay! I would be eternally grateful if fellow applicant (s) wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me. I'll PM it to you if you are willing! :)

I'm applying this cycle here, but if you're ok with that I can try to give some feedback?

Oh. My. God. Interview invite.