2013-2014 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh. My. God. Interview invite.

Thanks! And nope. And my status was just changed to complete this morning sometime.

congrats!

but come on pritzker, for crying out loud, send me my secondary!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
WTF? I haven't even gotten a secondary. How are people getting interview invites? T_T

And my application has been verified since the 13th. -_-

WTF? I haven't even gotten a secondary. How are people getting interview invites? T_T

Also haven't gotten a secondary. Submitted the 10th and verified soon after.

Also haven't gotten a secondary. Submitted the 10th and verified soon after.

verified the 11th. there's clearly something wrong with the way aamc transmitted the data, or how uofc received it. I'm not worried because i know i didn't do anything wrong, but I'm a little irked at the system. by all accounts, pritzker admissions monitors this thread so I'd guess they're on it and we'll see something soon.

No 2ndary yet, and i was verified on the 13th.

I still haven't received a secondary and I submitted the first day. My best friend got the secondary and she isn't even verified yet -____-

Members don't see this ad :)
verified the 11th. there's clearly something wrong with the way aamc transmitted the data, or how uofc received it. I'm not worried because i know i didn't do anything wrong, but I'm a little irked at the system. by all accounts, pritzker admissions monitors this thread so I'd guess they're on it and we'll see something soon.

Dr. Todd checks this thread periodically. Congrats on the invite! To everyone else, please be patient. I assure you a week or two won't affect your app.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Nick, can I get your perspective on the student atmosphere at Pritzker? You mentioned that it isn't "where fun goes to die," but would you describe it as a cooperative environment or more cutthroat?

Also, do you know anyone in your class from the state of South Dakota?

Nick, can I get your perspective on the student atmosphere at Pritzker? You mentioned that it isn't "where fun goes to die," but would you describe it as a cooperative environment or more cutthroat?

Also, do you know anyone in your class from the state of South Dakota?

Definitely more cooperative. As an example, our class had a shared Dropbox account that we used to share materials, notes, etc. throughout the first two years. There will always be a few of those gunner types no matter where you end up, but I think Pritzker does a great job of selecting for people that value teamwork and community and work hard to minimize the number of people with that competitive personality type. It's a very collegial and, dare I say, family type of atmosphere. The staff makes a real point to get to know you, and you really do feel like a part of the institution as you move through your training.

Sent from my Nexus 7

On the secondary, what if my "challenging" situation is pretty much what I talk about in my "Diversity" essay? Or should I try to come up with a completely new essay for my "challenging" essay?

For me, the most difficult challenge i've had is growing up in a foreign country and adjusting to the American culture. I feel like it'll be repetitive if I write about the same thing for both essays.

If I have to come up with a new "challenge", do you guys think my weakness in public speaking + leadership in the past and how I addressed it and improves upon it will work?

Yeah, I haven't gotten the secondary either, and I got my primary in on the 10th. :(

Verified within the first week, no secondary yet. Still waiting patiently as I don't have secondaries for half of my schools.

Verified 6/10, and no secondary. Could it be because my MCAT scores aren't in yet?

I wouldn't worry yet, but I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the situation.

I wouldn't worry yet, but I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the situation.

They might have limits on how many people they can email at once? I'm trying not to worry about it until early/mid-next week (Tuesday or so) before I do anything. In the mean time, more time to polish these essays! :thumbup:

Verified 6/10, and no secondary. Could it be because my MCAT scores aren't in yet?

Verified 6/20. Still don't have the secondary. I don't have my MCAT sores in either. Is this true for anyone else?

Verified 6/20. Still don't have the secondary. I don't have my MCAT sores in either. Is this true for anyone else?

I've had my MCAT scores in since submission, so I don't think that's the only reason that people don't have secondaries yet, although it could be one reason.

I know the lack of secondaries is a source of stress, but remain calm! I assure you that it isn't indicative of anything nor will it have an impact on your trajectory. Just a reminder to those that were complete in early June: don't hesitate to email Dr. Todd at the address listed previously early next week (Mon/Tue). If this is really stressing you out I'm sure Dr. Todd would be happy to reassure you, but given the number of applicants we have and the fact that Dr. Todd is a mere mortal, please be judicious about getting in touch with him. He emailed me today and said that AMCAS hadn't sent the school all of the primary apps. We're not sure how or why they send them in the order they do, but the office is on top of it, so as soon as Pritzker gets your primary (verified or not) you should receive a secondary.

As always, feel free to post any questions!

Sent from my SGH-M919

Last edited:
For the section of the secondary where it asks if you have any relatives that are current or former Pritzker students, is a second cousin worth mentioning?

Also, I sent an email to Dr. Todd and I accidentally wrote "Dear Charles" without thinking. I feel stupid. Do you think he is the type to be bothered by that or am I just being a neurotic pre-med?

Thanks.

For the section of the secondary where it asks if you have any relatives that are current or former Pritzker students, is a second cousin worth mentioning?

Also, I sent an email to Dr. Todd and I accidentally wrote "Dear Charles" without thinking. I feel stupid. Do you think he is the type to be bothered by that or am I just being a neurotic pre-med?

Thanks.

My guess is that they're probably talking about direct relatives, but I don't think it matters one way or another. I'd mention it.

As far as calling Dr. Todd Charles, don't worry about it. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7

My guess is that they're probably talking about direct relatives, but I don't think it matters one way or another. I'd mention it.

As far as calling Dr. Todd Charles, don't worry about it. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thanks, Nick!

Submitted, though as of now without my committee letter.

I just submitted my secondary and my status still says that the secondary application is in progress. Is anyone else having this issue?

I'm sure most of you got this, but if you didn't, here's an email I received from Pritzker about an upcoming Twitter Q&A:

We are excited to announce an upcoming live Twitter chat event with our Office of Admissions. The chat will take place this coming Monday, July 8th, from 6:00-7:30pm Central Standard Time.

The purpose of the chat is to answer any questions you may have about Pritzker and the University of Chicago. We will also answer questions about our admissions process. To help answer those questions, we will have several members of our staff available live on Twitter along with myself: our Assistant Dean for Admissions & Financial Aid, Sylvia Robertson, our Associate Dean for Admissions, Dr. Anthony Montag, and our Director of Multicultural Affairs, Darrell Nabers.

We will accept questions live through our Twitter feed during the chat. To submit your questions, please follow @UCPritzker on Twitter, tweet us your questions, and be sure to include the hashtag, #AskPritzker in your tweet.

I just submitted my secondary and my status still says that the secondary application is in progress. Is anyone else having this issue?

What does it tell you? I submitted yesterday and paid the fee, but as of today, it still says I need to pay and that the secondary isn't complete. I'm hoping it just takes a few days to process it completely?

submitted, but realized five minutes later i left out an article despite at least a half dozen proofreadings and a read-aloud. oh well.

I'm sure most of you got this, but if you didn't, here's an email I received from Pritzker about an upcoming Twitter Q&A:

We are excited to announce an upcoming live Twitter chat event with our Office of Admissions. The chat will take place this coming Monday, July 8th, from 6:00-7:30pm Central Standard Time.

The purpose of the chat is to answer any questions you may have about Pritzker and the University of Chicago. We will also answer questions about our admissions process. To help answer those questions, we will have several members of our staff available live on Twitter along with myself: our Assistant Dean for Admissions & Financial Aid, Sylvia Robertson, our Associate Dean for Admissions, Dr. Anthony Montag, and our Director of Multicultural Affairs, Darrell Nabers.

We will accept questions live through our Twitter feed during the chat. To submit your questions, please follow @UCPritzker on Twitter, tweet us your questions, and be sure to include the hashtag, #AskPritzker in your tweet.

FYI for those of you who aren't frequent Twitter users, I'd suggest using Tweetdeck. It's better than the website because you can screen tweets by hashtag and have the app auto-refresh when a new "#AskPritzker" tweet is added.

What does it tell you? I submitted yesterday and paid the fee, but as of today, it still says I need to pay and that the secondary isn't complete. I'm hoping it just takes a few days to process it completely?

Yes, status changes are processed manually so it will likely take a few days.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Just submitted :D This is a far reach for me (10%ile MCAT :( ) but the school is amazing so I figured hey, why not?

So, I recieved the secondary a couple of days ago but and my app was verified on the 5th but it says on the secondary website that I am still unverified. Is this normal?

Just submitted :D This is a far reach for me (10%ile MCAT :( ) but the school is amazing so I figured hey, why not?

I'm pretty sure I'm lower than 10% MCAT and 10% GPA, but you can't sell yourself short on dreams man.

I know this has been asked already, but what do we think the timeline is like for interview communications this year?