2013-2014 University of Washington School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does it take a while for UW to process letters? Submitted pretty much day of and still waiting for complete. Do they manually check the letters? I'm probably just being impatient ... xD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does it take a while for UW to process letters? Submitted pretty much day of and still waiting for complete. Do they manually check the letters? I'm probably just being impatient ... xD
On the secondary:
Please be aware that at times of high volume it can take several weeks for letters to be filed by admissions staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about doing this as well. I was told by some of my letter writers that my PS was really good, and looking back on it I think it provides good detail about my past and my desire to be a doctor. The question makes it seem like a legitimate option, so I was just going to put "See AMCAS Personal Statement," or something like that. I feel like if they wanted something new, they would either not have added two sentences about how the PS is acceptable, or they would have said "please do not repeat your PS" like some other schools do.

I dunno.

I am also considering referring to my personal statement. I wonder if they give you the option to test your seriousness or dedication to the school.

For those of us not applying to TRUST, does anyone know if we should submit the TRUST section of the secondary with blank essays or N/As, or just leave it un-submitted?
You can't submit it unless you check the box committing yourself to TRUST so you should be all set!

Surprised to get a secondary with my stats. Illinois resident with 31 (12/8/11) Mcat and 4.0 c/sGPA. Do I even have a chance?

Surprised to get a secondary with my stats. Illinois resident with 31 (12/8/11) Mcat and 4.0 c/sGPA. Do I even have a chance?
According to US News, UW receives 3964 out-of-region applications, and accepts 39 of them. That puts your numeric odds at less than 1%.

That said, see u/BABSstudent's posts earlier in this forum. His impression is that UW is just as likely to reject you for bad ECs as for bad numbers. Demonstrated interest in primary care and/or underserved communities is extremely important.

I am also considering referring to my personal statement. I wonder if they give you the option to test your seriousness or dedication to the school.

I did that something along those lines. Said something along the lines of like "As stated in my PS, 'briefly mention main points of my PS in two sentences'." Then added some other stuff as well.

I did that something along those lines. Said something along the lines of like "As stated in my PS, 'briefly mention main points of my PS in two sentences'." Then added some other stuff as well.

For my application I treated this section as an addendum to my PS and refered to is at well. I felt like I had to be really brief on some things in my PS so I used the autobiographical space as a place at expand/reflect a little bit more. I put "(Please refer to the AMCAS application Personal Comments section and the addendum below.)" and then had about a paragraph.

I apologize for the length of this post, but it just kind of kept coming out. Hopefully it helps some of you out.

According to US News, UW receives 3964 out-of-region applications, and accepts 39 of them. That puts your numeric odds at less than 1%.

That said, see u/BABSstudent's posts earlier in this forum. His impression is that UW is just as likely to reject you for bad ECs as for bad numbers. Demonstrated interest in primary care and/or underserved communities is extremely important.

This is what the previous years of SDN posts have suggested.

As I said earlier, meeting the mission statement of the school is key. I don't know how many of you have actually read it, but I doubt anyone gets into the school without falling in line with it in one way or another. Here it is (and it is kind of long):

The University of Washington School of Medicine is dedicated to improving the general health and well-being of the public. In pursuit of its goals, the School is committed to excellence in biomedical education, research, and health care. The School is also dedicated to ethical conduct in all its activities. As the pre-eminent academic medical center in our region and as a national leader in biomedical research, we place special emphasis on educating and training physicians, scientists, and allied health professionals dedicated to two distinct goals:

Meeting the health care needs of our region, especially by recognizing the importance of primary care and providing service to underserved populations; advancing knowledge and assuming leadership in the biomedical sciences and in academic medicine.

The School works with public and private agencies to improve health care and advance knowledge in medicine and related fields of inquiry. It acknowledges a special responsibility to the people in the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho, who have joined with it in a unique regional partnership. The School is committed to building and sustaining a diverse academic community of faculty, staff, fellows, residents, and students and to assuring that access to education and training is open to learners from all segments of society, acknowledging a particular responsibility to the diverse populations within our region.

The School values diversity and inclusion and is committed to building and sustaining an academic community in which teachers, researchers and learners achieve the knowledge, skills and attitudes that value and embrace inclusiveness, equity and awareness as a way to unleash creativity and innovation.

Link to mission statement

I put in bold what I think (and I could be completely wrong) are the important points.

Basically, if you are an applicant from the region, you meet the second part of what I bolded. Thus, it is easier for these applicants to get interviews. Frankly put, the school wants to train people that will stay in the WWAMI region and applicants from these areas are more likely to practice there in the future since that is where they grew up. If you are from OOR but have ties to the state, it might be a good idea to briefly explain this.

Now there is also more than just this, otherwise there wouldn't be people from OOR that get in. That's where the first part of what I bolded is key. There is a key phrase there that I liked, but does not mean everyone has to have: "Recognizing the importance of primary care and providing service to underserved populations." While many people will come to different opinions as to what underserved means, I can give a few quick examples. Working with the homeless, providing care to LGBTQ patients, deciding to do rural medicine, working with the VA, practicing in the inner city to work with socio/economically disadvantaged youth, speaking a second language and plan on using it in practice to serve a specific population, working with African/Latino/Native America patients, etc.

To me, this doesn't necessarily mean you will only see a specific type of patient but will mean you are more likely to be open to helping more of those patients than other physicians. I doubt you would be able to survive economically as a physician only seeing homeless patients without insurance, so realistically you wouldn't be able to do this 100% of the time. However, working a few days a month at a clinic that provides free healthcare services to this group is still going to benefit this group (especially if multiple doctors devote part of their time). Also, you might want to work with a population that doesn't have adequate number of physician that understand their culture or language and you could want to help these people. That doesn't mean you are going to work in an ER and solely help people that speak Spanish, but having the ability to will still help this population when they seek medical care.

Keep in mind that this is a school that has a very high ranking in primary care. It is even in their mission statement! That being said, also having a strong preference for doing primary care is another way to impress admissions.

At no point should you try to falsify information or try to choose your wording to make it seem like you did something different just to impress the adcoms. They can see through this. However, take a step back before you write everything (or talk about it in an interview) and carefully think about your ECs. Think about what you were truly trying to do. What were your reasons for doing them? What did you want to accomplish? What were you trying to get out of them?

Like I said, this is kind of long but I hope you get an idea of what I mean when I say try to match the mission statement of the schools you apply to. UW seems to be very interested in selecting applicants that will fall in line with it in the future, whether that be through research, helping the underserved, going into primary care or just practicing in the region. Last year they rejected (pre-secondary) applicants that had 3.8+ and 40+ MCAT score because the person reviewing applications probably didn't see how the applicant would match the mission statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How did you all interpret the last question: "What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you dealt with them?"
Goals, referring more to the goal of pursuing medicine? Multiple obstacles? Or can we pick one specific scenario and describe how we dealt with it?

Hey - does anyone have the MSTP Secondary Application prompts?

I'm not talking about the PRELIMINARY secondary prompts, as I have completed that part of my application. If someone can share the MSTP Secondary App prompts that would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How did you all interpret the last question: "What obstacles to your goals have you experienced and how have you dealt with them?"
Goals, referring more to the goal of pursuing medicine? Multiple obstacles? Or can we pick one specific scenario and describe how we dealt with it?

The purpose of this question is to describe how you personally dealt with an obstacle and how you became a better person, and potentially a better future doctor, because of it. The obstacle(s) don't have to be medically-related--it just has to be personal and honest.

Think also about the challenges of becoming a physician and of being a physician. Can you show self-reflection, can you learn from mistakes and hardship, and can you overcome obstacles so that you are an even better person after enduring through them?

I'm applying this cycle and I was having a hard time deciding if I'm considered a "disadvantaged applicant" or not. I grew up in a rural area in Alaska and when I first moved out of the state to attend a University, it was a huge culture shock. I didn't do so well which is reflected in my undergraduate GPA. Our high school didn't have AP, IB, honors, or running start programs. Our highest math course offered at the time was pre-calculus. I felt that this put me at a disadvantage because I wasn't prepared for college-level courses. Our class at the time was the biggest, also, with 30 graduates. I e-mailed UWSOM and this is their response:

"Medically underserved does not qualify as disadvantaged. Disadvantaged is usually based on either family financial resources or lack of good educational resources."

Also, I haven't been able to find any good resources in regards to whether applying as a "disadvantaged applicant" is beneficial or not.

Any thoughts?

I would not consider you as a disadvantaged applicant, if your family did not have serious financial struggles.

If you mark disadvantaged applicant on AMCAS, be prepared to explain to interviewers why.

Yay complete this morning :)

Pretty happy to get a secondary here OOR. Seattle is awesome and one of best residents I've met volunteering went to UW.

First rejection - out of region applicant so I'm not surprised. Good luck to everyone else!

Thank you so much for your reply! That was very helpful. :)

I'm having a very hard time coming up with distinct responses for these questions. They're all so tied together! Especially for the first three...I feel so redundant. Am I doing this right if I'm summarizing my experiences in medicine in #1, talking about how these same experiences prepared me to be a physician with #2 (which I really began to do with #1...), and choose one or two of these same experiences to talk about how I'd enrich the class with #3? They're all really talking about the same things with different words or different explanations...

Anyone else still waiting on residency verification? I'm a WA resident who is currently OOS. I hear it takes a few weeks, I've had my forms in since late July.

Rejected before receiving a secondary.
Out of state applicant. 3.93 sGPA, 3.91 cGPA. 40 MCAT.
Good luck to everyone!

Anyone else still waiting on residency verification? I'm a WA resident who is currently OOS. I hear it takes a few weeks, I've had my forms in since late July.

I got a residency verification email just yesterday, I had been waiting a couple weeks for it.

However, it still says that my residency verification has not been received on my application. Does anyone know if I need to send them an email, or does it just take a couple days for UW to process that I was verified?

On the MSTP preliminary, when it asks for research experience to supplement your AMCAS, does this mean I shouldn't repeat an experience if I've already listed it under work/activities on AMCAS?

On the MSTP preliminary, when it asks for research experience to supplement your AMCAS, does this mean I shouldn't repeat an experience if I've already listed it under work/activities on AMCAS?

I didn't repeat much, but I had to truncate a lot of experience on my AMCAS because I'm a non-trad and I've been doing research over the past 6-7 years.

Does UW send pre-secondary rejection emails? Or are pre-secondary rejections silent?

Has anyone been offered an interview yet? Last year the earliest they started going out was early August (I got mine 8/6). Nobody here has posted anything yet!

I am rooting for you guys!

Has anyone been offered an interview yet? Last year the earliest they started going out was early August (I got mine 8/6). Nobody here has posted anything yet!

I am rooting for you guys!

Thanks. I have read all of your comments; very insightful.

Well, this year everything is slower mainly because AMCAS opened the application cylce June 12th.
my UW secondary was complete last week. I don't know how long it will take them to review.
This is my first choice, and I am very nervous.:scared:

My complete email said that interviews start October 1st. I am trying to tame my nervousness by reasoning that the earliest invites probably wouldn't start going out until September....

My complete email said that interviews start October 1st. I am trying to tame my nervousness by reasoning that the earliest invites probably wouldn't start going out until September....

You're probably right. We just keep our fingers crossed. :xf:

II !!!!

:D :soexcited: :claps: :biglove:

I'm not sure if my update letter (that included another small round of enthusiasm and praise for the school) that I emailed this afternoon helped, but whoo hoo! Now if only the MSTP by some miracle would give me a chance...

II !!!!

:D :soexcited: :claps: :biglove:

I'm not sure if my update letter (that included another small round of enthusiasm and praise for the school) that I emailed this afternoon helped, but whoo hoo! Now if only the MSTP by some miracle would give me a chance...

Congrats:) when is your interview?

Interview invite :love: tears of joy right now!

Edit:

Congrats:) when is your interview?

They don't specify a date yet in the email, they just say you're being invited to interview and that you'll be sent a date in the future.

Last edited:
Interview invite :love: tears of joy right now!

Edit:

They don't specify a date yet in the email, they just say you're being invited to interview and that you'll be sent a date in the future.

Congrats on the II. :)
If u don't mind, could u share with us your stats. Thanks!:)

Congrats on the II. :)
If u don't mind, could u share with us your stats. Thanks!:)

Trying to maintain some anonymity, but my scores fall in the 3.40-3.59 GPA, 33-35 MCAT bracket.

II today! My first one of the season, I'm so incredibly excited about UW

Last edited:
Congrats on the interviews, everyone!

I am finding this application confusing for some reason - to be clear, you just need to "submit" each section of the secondary, but you're not actually complete until they receive the fee via mail and process your LORs? I am trying to figure out what I need to do to actually be complete and under consideration for an interview/ rejection - I am about to mail the fee, but they have had my LORs for a while and don't seem to have received them - I assume I am not "complete" until LORs are received?

I know they wrote a note that LORs can take a while to process, and that's fine, I just want to confirm that I am held up on being complete until they are processed. Thanks all!

... you're not actually complete until they receive the fee via mail and process your LORs?

This was the case for me. I got a "complete and under consideration" email once my fee and LORs were marked as received. It took a little over a week between when I submitted the last sub-section of the secondary app and when I got the complete email.

This was the case for me. I got a "complete and under consideration" email once my fee and LORs were marked as received. It took a little over a week between when I submitted the last sub-section of the secondary app and when I got the complete email.

Oh thanks! That's really helpful

I was looking into pre-writing for this secondary but I am unsure if I should do it now since I still haven't received my secondary and I've been verified since 8/5... How long did it take you guys to receive the secondary from the time you received the email saying they received your primary?

I was looking into pre-writing for this secondary but I am unsure if I should do it now since I still haven't received my secondary and I've been verified since 8/5... How long did it take you guys to receive the secondary from the time you received the email saying they received your primary?

Primary received email 7/18 (6 days after I was verified) - secondary received 8/7. I think you're fine! I'm OOR don't know if that makes a difference.

Primary received email 7/18 (6 days after I was verified) - secondary received 8/7. I think you're fine! I'm OOR don't know if that makes a difference.

What's OOR? Thanks for the response !

What's OOR? Thanks for the response !

OOR = out of region. I am not in the collection of states that UW gives preference to. UW gives really big preference to in region folks, so I was suggesting that perhaps my timeline is most applicable to OOR people.

OOR = out of region. I am not in the collection of states that UW gives preference to. UW gives really big preference to in region folks, so I was suggesting that perhaps my timeline is most applicable to OOR people.

Oh okay. Yeah I'm out of region too - CA resident. hopefully I hear from them soon ! Good luck with your app!