2013-2014 University of Washington School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II!!!! :soexcited:

In state as well! Super excited~~~~

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone with invites so far! Did any of you complete the TRUST application?

Could someone post the address that we were to mail on the application fee check please? I need to re-send it and don't have access to the secondary anymore because I've already been marked complete.

Could someone post the address that we were to mail on the application fee check please? I need to re-send it and don't have access to the secondary anymore because I've already been marked complete.

Office of Admissions
University of Washington School of Medicine
1959 NE Pacific St, A-300 HSC
Box 356340
Seattle, WA 98195-6340

My personal address! :naughty:

When are the actual interviews starting up? I'm starting first year classes the day after tomorrow (!!!) and they encourage us to drop by & say hi to the interviewees once in a while.

When are the actual interviews starting up? I'm starting first year classes the day after tomorrow (!!!) and they encourage us to drop by & say hi to the interviewees once in a while.
The invite email says they start on October 1! They say we can attend classes on interview day, so just keep an eye out for groups of terrified-looking premed kids visiting your lectures and you'll know that interviews are going on!

Congrats on starting at UW too :)

Ellie, are there different cohorts? I have 2 friends who will be attending UWash and they all began in different dates. I'm a bit confused on how that works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ellie, are there different cohorts? I have 2 friends who will be attending UWash and they all began in different dates. I'm a bit confused on how that works.

The different WWAMI sites have different start dates. Seattle is the last to start (orientation was last week for us). Once you are in second year, everyone has the same start date.

Rejected pre-secondary. OOR and probably wouldn't have passed a numbers screen so it wasn't that big of a surprise, except that I have a lot of experience working with underserved populations. I really loved UoW's mission and commitment to underserved populations, so very disappointing.

I was surprised at the turn around though, added this school on the 30th

Sorry to hear about the rejection! I too love this school and would attend for their mission!

Would it help to mention that I have a close aunt that lives in Washington and that I have visited? Or should I expect a rejection as I am OOS?

How long does it take for them to process the application fee? Mailed it last Monday and my status still says "Not Received"...same with LORs :|

How long does it take for them to process the application fee? Mailed it last Monday and my status still says "Not Received"...same with LORs :|

I'm on the same timeline and was marked complete today - I mailed my check from the west coast though so that might make a difference

Thanks! Good to know - hopefully that'll be the case for me soon. I'm on the west coast too, but mine hasn't been marked complete yet. I'll wait a day or two more before I call, I guess.

About how long did it take everyone to receive a secondary? I received the initial email on Aug13 from UWSOM and still have no heard anything. Is this a likely pre-secondary rejection?

GPA: 3.5+, MCAT 35+ OOS

Last edited:
Is anyone else having residency issues? I'm an Idaho resident and got verification from UI in June--at that time they cc'd me on the formal email they sent UW. On my secondary it STILL says not received. I've emailed them TWICE and haven't gotten a response and it's been at least 2 weeks. What gives?

Is anyone else having residency issues? I'm an Idaho resident and got verification from UI in June--at that time they cc'd me on the formal email they sent UW. On my secondary it STILL says not received. I've emailed them TWICE and haven't gotten a response and it's been at least 2 weeks. What gives?

I don't know about the residency issue, but I emailed them with some other question twice, and it took them more than 2 weeks to reply. In my opinion call them.

Good luck!

Also an Idaho resident here, I submitted my secondary on 7/21, sent in my residency stuff probably a week or so after that and was marked complete on 8/13. I'm not sure how helpful that timeline is, but it definitely did take a while for the completion. I also did not get an email saying I was complete.

Secondary received yesterday
Verified 8/5, OOS

About how long did it take everyone to receive a secondary? I received the initial email on Aug13 from UWSOM and still have no heard anything. Is this a likely pre-secondary rejection?

GPA: 3.9+, MCAT 35+ OOS
I received the same day and still heard nothin :*-( 3.5c, 3.93s, 31 OOS, grew up rural and served rural here & overseas

I received the same day and still heard nothin :*-( 3.5c, 3.93s, 31 OOS, grew up rural and served rural here & overseas
Me either. I was verified in mid August and we have very similar stats :)

I know this is a long shot because Im OOS, but damn I love UWA!

The email said avg response time for screening was 4-6 weeks right? There's still hope!

A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application.

What does it mean...

A status update will be mailed to the address provided on your MSTP application.

What does it mean...

Probably a rejection, unfortunately. From what I can tell, interview invites and updates to an "on hold" status are sent out by email. I could be wrong though! :xf:

Would it help to mention that I have a close aunt that lives in Washington and that I have visited? Or should I expect a rejection as I am OOS?

No, unfortunately that is not really important to them. They have most of their seats legally set aside for WWAMI residents because they are taxpayer funded by those states. Casual ties to the state don't mean much because it's about funding more than emotional ties to the region. Only about 1% of nonresidents get an interview so I wouldn't get your hopes up, sorry!

Hi all, I am OOS from Cali applying to MSTP at U Wash. I submitted primary in the first week of Sept, rejected for MD only soon after, but received supp app invite for MSTP the same week.

I haven't gotten around to filling it out, then this morning came an email which appeared to be addressed personally to me saying in bold "We'd love to learn about you, but our records indicate that you have not submitted the UW MSTP online preliminary application". Is this an indication of genuine and specific interest in me as a MSTP candidate? or just a generic reminder they send to lagging MSTP applicants?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could shed some light on this!

Last edited:
It sounds like a really courteous reminder to submit your app asap :p. I don't think most schools look at your application until it's complete lol

Hi all, I am OOS from Cali applying to MSTP at U Wash. I submitted primary in the first week of Sept, rejected for MD only soon after, but received supp app invite for MSTP the same week.

I haven't gotten around to filling it out, then this morning came an email which appeared to be addressed personally to me saying in bold "We’d love to learn about you, but our records indicate that you have not submitted the UW MSTP online preliminary application". Is this a good sign? or just a generic reminder they send to lagging MSTP applicants?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could shed some light on this!

Basically, MSTP is a federally-funded program. Thus, medical schools don't pay attention to state residency when choosing which applicants to interview and accept. The MD program is funded directly by the states in the whammy region. So unless, you fit within the mission for the very few OOS slots, you will get rejected if you're not a state resident.

To offer some relative perspective on this:
UW is not as tough on OOS MD candidates as UMass or UHawaii, but is tougher than U-Wisconsin, the UCs, and the UT's.

hi everyone, I'm new here. I just a quick question: Did any IS applicant have to verify residency yet? I submitted my secondary and got an email just now saying I have to verify my residency? Does that mean my application is gonna be put on hold until they receive my residency verification?

Rejected.... OOR didn't have high expectations. Hopefully it isn't the start of a trend.

Just got my II today! I applied for the TRUST program, but the email was very vague about dates and whether I would be interviewing for the TRUST program, or for UW med only. Anyone else applying for TRUST gotten an interview invite?

Please ignore that request. Missed your earlier post about timeline before.

Last edited:
hi everyone, I'm new here. I just a quick question: Did any IS applicant have to verify residency yet? I submitted my secondary and got an email just now saying I have to verify my residency? Does that mean my application is gonna be put on hold until they receive my residency verification?

Yep, your application is going to be put on hold until they receive everything to make you complete. That includes residency verification which can take quite a while. I don't know why, but some people don't have to verify their residency (like me when I applied last year, for example).

Hey BABS! About how long do you think before they send out actual dates once we've been invited?

And hope you're enjoying your classes!

Yep, your application is going to be put on hold until they receive everything to make you complete. That includes residency verification which can take quite a while. I don't know why, but some people don't have to verify their residency (like me when I applied last year, for example).

Thank you so much for the response! Yea, this residency verification deal is so frustrating :(

I applied here before I realized how strict U Wash was on non-WWAMI applicants. So, I have been expecting a quick rejection. However, I haven't received one, yet.

Can any other non-WWAMI applicants say how long it took them to hear back with a secondary invitation or a pre-secondary rejection?

FWIW, I was complete the last week of August, and nothing in my application shows any specific desire to work with the under-served or in rural medicine.

thanks

Hey BABS! About how long do you think before they send out actual dates once we've been invited?

And hope you're enjoying your classes!

It depends on where you are from since the different WWAMI states have their own specific dates for interviews. If you are from WA and are interviewing in Seattle, then the dates should start to come out soon. The first interviews tend to be in October (I interviewed October 9th last year) and continue from there throughout the cycle. Normally they give you a little heads up of when you interview is scheduled, but it tends to be much shorter than other medical schools.

Best of luck to you guys.

The second essay box on the secondary says "Other personal comments or publications." Is everyone only using this as a chance to upload research abstracts/info? I'm thrown off by "other personal comments." Could this act as a "why UW?"