2013-2014 University of Washington School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, I was wondering if thats because you updated your out of town stuff?? But anyways, I prolly should give them a call 2morrow...its been a week since I received the invite :-s.
It's possible, I mean, they ask for your travel info city by city and date by date, so I'm sure they could extrapolate that I'm going on other interviews. I'm sure you'll be totally fine, it sounds like people have been hearing back on lots of different timelines.

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, I mean, they ask for your travel info city by city and date by date, so I'm sure they could extrapolate that I'm going on other interviews. I'm sure you'll be totally fine, it sounds like people have been hearing back on lots of different timelines.

Thanks:), i hope so. I called this morning and the lady said it can be up to a month till i get the confirmed date. Good luck with your interviews.

Does anyone know how long is takes for UW to update your residency verification to received once it has been completed? I received an email from UofI last week saying it was complete and sent on. I also received a letter in the mail confirming the same information. Just wondering what kind of timeframe I should expect from UW? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long is takes for UW to update your residency verification to received once it has been completed? I received an email from UofI last week saying it was complete and sent on. I also received a letter in the mail confirming the same information. Just wondering what kind of timeframe I should expect from UW? Thanks!

For me, it was about a week from when I received the complete email from the residency office till UW marked my residency verification as complete.

OK folks who have interviewed, don't panic yet about decisions not being released yet - I just called the admissions office to follow up on my 9 October interview (5.2 weeks ago ish?) and they said the adcom hadn't met about my file yet. So if you haven't recieved a decision, it doesn't necessarily equal a waitlist/rejection! The lady I talked to said to expect decisions from the 9 October interviews to go out next week, but said they were running behind on file reviews, so it might be longer. They're super nice and helpful so don't be nervous about calling and asking about your status either!

How long did it take all of you to hear back about a secondary app? I was notified that UW had received all of my information and that it would be 2 month to 6 weeks before I heard back about a secondary. It's been 8 weeks. Should I be concerned?

Finally got the SUC email, which I already knew after calling last week. haha

Hoping my update letter I sent this week will do me some good for the next EXCOM meeting.

OK folks who have interviewed, don't panic yet about decisions not being released yet - I just called the admissions office to follow up on my 9 October interview (5.2 weeks ago ish?) and they said the adcom hadn't met about my file yet. So if you haven't recieved a decision, it doesn't necessarily equal a waitlist/rejection! The lady I talked to said to expect decisions from the 9 October interviews to go out next week, but said they were running behind on file reviews, so it might be longer. They're super nice and helpful so don't be nervous about calling and asking about your status either!
Weird that they have gotten through the Oct. 2nd interviews (my date) but not Oct. 9th ... Hmmmm ... I wonder if the EXCOM meetings are more often now?

Finally got the SUC email, which I already knew after calling last week. haha

Hoping my update letter I sent this week will do me some good for the next EXCOM meeting.

Seconded. I'm SUC too and I just sent in my SMP transcript two days ago. :xf:

Got my acceptance email today! Good luck everyone!! SUC status is definitely not the end of the world. I know plenty of people who were SUC and ended up getting accepted. Hope to see you all in the fall! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance email today! Good luck everyone!! SUC status is definitely not the end of the world. I know plenty of people who were SUC and ended up getting accepted. Hope to see you all in the fall! :)

Congrats! I got the SUC email today, interviewed 10/21.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Talinnlove. I'm a bit relieved; I guess I'll call them next week.

Last edited:
Well, if I'm any indication, they just sent out Wyoming WWAMI interview invites. complete 9/28

Can anyone comment on UW and whether they give a lot of merit scholarships out?

Can anyone comment on UW and whether they give a lot of merit scholarships out?
No merit scholarships. They do give out a few OOR scholarships. They also give up to a $8,000 grant to IS people that demonstrate need via FAFSA. I think they also give small scholarships to IS people but the scholarship AND grant total doesn't go over $8,000. That's the max.

Everything else is loans.

3) For any Idaho/Washington people, how do you like Moscow/Pullman? How much time do you spend at U of I/WSU respectively? Is the medical "campus" separated from the undergraduate at all or is it all integrated? Do you spend any time in clinical settings or is the first year purely classroom time?

@Nmarchib -

I'm a 1st year at the Moscow/Pullman site, so I'll give you the breakdown real quick. We spend Monday, Wednesday, Friday at WSU, and Thursday at U of I. At the beginning of the year we spent Tuesday at U of I as well, but once preceptorships started (mid September) we switched to one day a week in Moscow. Most days we spend about 6 hours in class: 0910 - 1600, with an hour for lunch. There is no formal attendance requirement but some professors will be a bit miffed if only 15 students show up to lecture. Most people attend lecture, most of the time.

There really isn't a "medical campus": we have one classroom at each campus where we go for our lectures, and we have anatomy lab at WSU (in the same building where we attend lecture). We share one of the anatomy lab rooms with the undergraduate anatomy students, which could be a problem if they have a test during one of our test weeks. It hasn't been an issue so far.

As BABS noted, all the sites have clinical education in the first year. Seattle students have one required preceptorship (minimum 4 hrs/week, for 8 weeks totaling 32 hrs) and have the option of setting up a second preceptorship. In Moscow/Pullman we have two preceptorships arranged for us, one in the fall and one in the spring. Tuesdays are completely open so that students can spend as much time as they want with their preceptors. So far it has undoubtedly been the highlight of our medical education. My classmates who are working with surgeons have been able to suture and operate laparoscopic equipment, and those in family med clinics are conducting solo interviews and doing basic procedures (vaccinations, blood draws, knee injections, etc.) I had assumed that precepting would basically be an extended shadowing experience, but I was totally wrong. I've been totally blown away with how participatory and valuable the experience has been.

It's been over 6 weeks and still no word on whether I've been looked at for a secondary. Does UW do silent rejections pre secondary? I know that they're secondary deadline is Dec 1, so my chances are slimmer than before for an OOS now. I figure I'll call the office tomorrow.

@SpacemanSpifff

Thanks so much for the reply, that was really helpful. As you can imagine, before my interview, I'm just trying to get a picture of what a medical education as a WWAMI student would look like. When you say 6 hours of class, is that 6 hours of traditional lecture or does that include any sort of CBL/PBL style interaction?

@Nmarchib - It's usually 6 hours of lecture. We have had a few PBL-type sessions over the semester, but the curriculum at Moscow/Pullman is lecture-based. Currently we're pretty anatomy-heavy and often have 3 hours of lecture in the morning and 3 hours of lab in the afternoon.

If you're not a lecture person don't let my experience bum you out too much, since there are a lot of changes coming down the pipe with the planned curriculum renewal (tentatively rolling out in 2015). The M2's in Spokane this year are part of a pilot program that's following a PBL/flipped classroom model: they cover the material on their own, bring questions to class, and use class time to apply the concepts to a case. If you're interested in the details you might be better served checking here: http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/curriculum-renewal/pages/default.aspx. I'm not too concerned with the pre-clinical curriculum renewal, since it won't be affecting me. I'm selfish like that ;)

Question about the new curriculum: Would it affect those of us who would theoretically be starting in the Fall of 2014? So would we be switching to the new curriculum for 2nd year? Or would we stick to the current one?

Question about the new curriculum: Would it affect those of us who would theoretically be starting in the Fall of 2014? So would we be switching to the new curriculum for 2nd year? Or would we stick to the current one?
From what I have heard you would have the current curriculum for your second year. The people starting in 2015 would have the new one.

From what I have heard you would have the current curriculum for your second year. The people starting in 2015 would have the new one.
Ah, okay. Thanks! btw, sent you a private message.

Acceptance phone calls went out on Tuesday before Thanksgiving last year. If it's the same schedule, I assume the EXCOM meeting is today or Monday then! Good luck to everyone ... crossing my fingers for this round!

quote="joonage, post: 14641825, member: 358733"]Acceptance phone calls went out on Tuesday before Thanksgiving last year. If it's the same schedule, I assume the EXCOM meeting is today or Monday then! Good luck to everyone ... crossing my fingers for this round![/quote]
:xf:

ACCEPTED. In total shock.

Interviewed 11/13, and I thought I completely bombed it. I suggest mentally preparing for a good news phone call, if only to not sound like a blithering idiot on the phone like I did.

Reactions: 1 users

Interviewed 11/13, and I thought I completely bombed it. I suggest mentally preparing for a good news phone call, if only to not sound like a blithering idiot on the phone like I did.

Did you get your phone call today? I also interviewed 11/13, still waiting....

Congratulation Davida! UWSOM is my dream school, and I interviewed on 10/15, and haven't heard a peep from them:(

Congratulation Davida! UWSOM is my dream school, and I interviewed on 10/15, and haven't heard a peep from them:(
Just to give you some hope, last year I interviewed 10/9 and was SUC'd like five times because my excom member didn't show up to the votes. Ended up being accepted in early March before the waitlist was created. There's still hope for many more months.

Just to give you some hope, last year I interviewed 10/9 and was SUC'd like five times because my excom member didn't show up to the votes. Ended up being accepted in early March before the waitlist was created. There's still hope for many more months.
BABSstudent thanks a lot for your support. You're awesome! Yes, I know about your situation, which was very frustrating and nerve racking. Hopefully, I get an acceptance call soon.

Did you get your phone call today? I also interviewed 11/13, still waiting....

Yes, I did. I wasn't expecting it at all - was totally mentally preparing for a rejection or a really long wait.

If you interviewed on the 13th, I probably met you, since it was such a small group (unless there's a morning and an afternoon group?). I hope I see you again in next year's class!

Woohoo!! Congrats!!

II! Finally! Complete ~9/18, but more likely 9/22 since I asked for an optional letter to be removed by this date.

II! Finally! Complete ~9/18, but more likely 9/22 since I asked for an optional letter to be removed by this date.
got an interview date yet? Congrats by the way!

Why hello once again SUC email... :(

Maybe they're holding off to give me a nice Christmas present, right?

I just got the rejection email:( They didn't even provide an explanation why they have rejected me. :(

Yes, I did. I wasn't expecting it at all - was totally mentally preparing for a rejection or a really long wait.

If you interviewed on the 13th, I probably met you, since it was such a small group (unless there's a morning and an afternoon group?). I hope I see you again in next year's class!

yes, I did probably meet you in our small group. Just got the SUC email.. at least there is still a chance! Would you mind telling me who your ExCom member was?
congrats again on the acceptance!

Second SUC email :( Wonder if it means they've reviewed and are actually still considering my application or if they're just delaying the rejection...:eyebrow:

Just a reminder, try not to post excom
members, medical student, other applicant names directly on here. If you must, share them with each other in private messages. Keep their private information private just as you probably don't want your name shared on the internet without your wishes.

I just got the rejection email:( They didn't even provide an explanation why they have rejected me. :(
aghhh.. I was pulling for you the most. :( I hope the rest of your cycle is successful!!!

aghhh.. I was pulling for you the most. :( I hope the rest of your cycle is successful!!!
Thanks joonage. I'm trying to pull myself together. I'll apply next cycle; I wish they had provided me with a more clear and personal email, so, I could improve my application for the next cycle.
I wish you all the best of luck; especially you joonage!

Thanks joonage. I'm trying to pull myself together. I'll apply next cycle; I wish they had provided me with a more clear and personal email, so, I could improve my application for the next cycle.
I wish you all the best of luck; especially you joonage!
Thanks. And good luck! UW is very generous to reapplicants from what I hear. I'm sure I'll see you at UW soon enough. :)

And perhaps send an email asking for feedback? I don't think that would hurt to try.