2014-2015 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, if I take the Sept 12th MCAT and get my scores in October, and it ends up being lets say a 32 or something, would it be too late for me to have a chance at UCF? Assuming I get my primary app in this month and am just waiting on my MCAT. My GPA and EC's are good.
You should still send in your application as soon as possible (this helps demonstrate a sincere interest), but I think you'll be OK regarding the delay with the MCAT score. It's true that you won't be complete until October, but there are still a lot of interviews offered from that point onward. I don't know if admissions committees do this, but I would imagine if you had a stellar application they might set it aside and wait for the MCAT score, all the while intending to invite you for an interview if it's acceptable. But, even if they won't touch it until you have that score, you'd still have time.

Members don't see this ad.

An 8 for verbal will not screen you out. I got accepted here with a 9 in verbal, which isn't really any better than an 8 IMO. That could be just a difference in one question, or perhaps you're actually better at that part than me and I had a good day and you had a bad day.
Ahh okay thanks lets hope it's not the deciding factor!!

Members don't see this ad :)
How are people approaching this essay? I already wrote my whole PS about how my experiences made me want to be a doctor. Do you think it's appropriate to talk about experiences here that more made me who I am and how they will make me a good student/doctor/peer? For example, my traveling makes me diverse and understanding, two aspects that makes me a good candidate and will make me a good doctor. However, traveling didn't make me want to be a doctor. Should everything relate back in some way to why I want to be a doctor, or are they more looking for why each thing will make me a good doctor?

How are people approaching this essay? I already wrote my whole PS about how my experiences made me want to be a doctor. Do you think it's appropriate to talk about experiences here that more made me who I am and how they will make me a good student/doctor/peer? For example, my traveling makes me diverse and understanding, two aspects that makes me a good candidate and will make me a good doctor. However, traveling didn't make me want to be a doctor. Should everything relate back in some way to why I want to be a doctor, or are they more looking for why each thing will make me a good doctor?
both sound good to me

My application has been on hold for information since 7/5. Has anyone been taken off of hold yet? It says it's just waiting for letters and stuff which I have had on AMCAS since June 3rd. It says it takes up to 5 days but it's been a little over that at this point

My application has been on hold for information since 7/5. Has anyone been taken off of hold yet? It says it's just waiting for letters and stuff which I have had on AMCAS since June 3rd. It says it takes up to 5 days but it's been a little over that at this point
It's wayyyy early and you are done! You are ahead of what we can process!! It should change soon. There are many who are not even in HFI, but we should catch up by the end of this coming week.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an email from REL earlier today that my application is complete. :heckyeah: UCF is high on my list! good luck to everyone

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email from REL earlier today that my application is complete. :heckyeah: UCF is high on my list! good luck to everyone
I hope I get to join you as complete soon! REL got me waiting on edge. But as long as it doesn't label me noncompetitive I will be patient. Would stink to see my #1 school dump me this early. Well I guess it stinks no matter when they dump you...

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the secondary yesterday, glad to join you all for this crazy process!

Hey REL, I'm submitted with 1 mcat score but I have another pending. (taken july 12th)... Will UCF be waiting to make any decisions until that score is out? I didn't want to wait to submit my secondary but I just wanted to make sure!

How long are you guys writing your secondaries? I don't want to bore my reader lol. And 2 pages single spaced is a lot of words!

Complete today, now I just need an EFI plz!

Members don't see this ad :)
How long are you guys writing your secondaries? I don't want to bore my reader lol. And 2 pages single spaced is a lot of words!

I want to know too.. Is 1 full page better than 2? My personal statement is already a lot of words.. the reader may throw my app away after seeing there is another 2-page essay..

UCF seems to have an amazing program set up. Finally submitted and waiting on a character reference. In response to the above. I highly doubt a reader is going to throw your app away because you decided to fulfill their character requirement, although who truly knows? Honestly, I used almost the full two pages. I found it quite easy to talk about things I didn't necessarily cover in my personal statement by going more in depth with the impact my experiences have had on me.

I want to know too.. Is 1 full page better than 2? My personal statement is already a lot of words.. the reader may throw my app away after seeing there is another 2-page essay..

Just got the "Your File is Complete" e-mail from REL. I got as far as EFI last cycle but was very late getting everything in and didn't get an interview. Hoping for better luck this time around!

Secondary submitted! I must have proofread my essay at least 50 times. Glad to have finished it.

When I applied I recall filling all of the space provided for that two page essay and it didn't hurt me. I just opened my old word file for that secondary application, and over the course of the entire thing I wrote nearly 5 single-spaced pages. If it's all relevant and informative I say give it to them. This is your chance to make your application reflect your personality. The primary application gives so little opportunity to do that, comparatively.

Hello all you lovely people! Incoming M1 here, if you have any questions about UCF or anything, please don't hesitate to PM me or post here. :happy:

Hello all you lovely people! Incoming M1 here, if you have any questions about UCF or anything, please don't hesitate to PM me or post here. :happy:

Can you comment on the financial aid/tuition situation. Just curious after reading MSAR

Can you comment on the financial aid/tuition situation. Just curious after reading MSAR

Sure! If I recall correctly, for IS, tuition and fees is about $29k for IS, and $56k for OOS. I think this is rather standard; however UCF is really generous with financial aid in my opinion. Most accepted students receive some type of financial aid, the amount depending on their situation. IS will get a few thousand per year perhaps, and OOS can definitely receive tens of thousands. Overall, UCF is the most OOS friendly out of the FL schools since they reserve 25% of the class seats just for OOS peeps.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure! If I recall correctly, for IS, tuition and fees is about $29k for IS, and $56k for OOS. I think this is rather standard; however UCF is really generous with financial aid in my opinion. Most accepted students receive some type of financial aid, the amount depending on their situation. IS will get a few thousand per year perhaps, and OOS can definitely receive tens of thousands. Overall, UCF is the most OOS friendly out of the FL schools since they reserve 25% of the class seats just for OOS peeps.

yeah, last cycle at the interview REL said that eventually they want the class to be comprised of 50% OOS , but that probably wont happen for a few more cycles

yeah, last cycle at the interview REL said that eventually they want the class to be comprised of 50% OOS , but that probably wont happen for a few more cycles
I would be okay with this, but only if they made the school bigger a la 180 or 210 seats (like VCU for instance). Otherwise, its kind of a bad deal for those of us instate who fund this schools building and set up. I don't think they should accept less than the 90 instate they do right now, but if they wanted to add more seats and open them up to OOS more, I wouldn't have a problem. I know UCF mission is not necessarily local, but to cut down to 60 students instate would not sit well with me, as someone who lives here, pays property taxes, and sales tax that go towards University programs.

Actually I would appreciate an REL response on this topic for clarity.

Last edited:
I would be okay with this, but only if they made the school bigger a la 180 or 210 seats (like VCU for instance). Otherwise, its kind of a bad deal for those of us instate who fund this schools building and set up. I don't think they should accept less than the 90 instate they do right now, but if they wanted to add more seats and open them up to OOS more, I wouldn't have a problem. I know UCF mission is not necessarily local, but to cut down to 60 students instate would not sit well with me, as someone who lives here, pays property taxes, and sales tax that go towards University programs.

Completely agree

Lots of state med seats open with 7 MD programs. It is possible that we may slowly grow our non-Fl population to more than 30, possibly has high as 60 over many years.

As for state monies, those tax dollars are what keeps the FL rez from paying the $50k that non-rez students pay. Let me give basic example as to how tax doaars benefit FL rez. For conversational purposes let's say it cost $50k per year to educate a med student. So in this example FL rez pays tuition of $29k, that means the state will reimburse the program ~$21k per FL Rez.....these are your tax dollars. Non-Florida rez have to pay the full $50k in this example; no FL tax dollars used. Hopefully this clarifies how tax monies are used in our state institutions.

none of the 4 questions have a strict word/character limit?

1 and 2? or all of 1-3?

(these, right?
1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.
2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below B-, or course withdrawals.
3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application. )

1 and 2? or all of 1-3?

(these, right?
1) If you do not expect to spend the academic year enrolled in an academic program, please explain how you will use this time.
2) Please provide details regarding academic difficulties, grades below B-, or course withdrawals.
3) Do you have any information that you would like to share with the UCF COM Medical Student Admissions Committee that has not already been addressed in your AMCAS application? You may also use this section to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed in your AMCAS application. Please provide details about NEW information for the Committee to consider to include information about your family, personal interests, hobbies, and travels that have not already been discussed on your AMCAS application. )

not sure about #3

Whelp time for the weekend, fingers crossed for next weeks updates.

Last edited:
Noticed I got the "AORTA – Eligible for Interview" status on my portal today.

This file is in a pool of applicants to be considered for an interview group on a near-weekly basis as we construct interview groups. This means the file is eligible for selection for an interview group, IT DOES NOT MEAN that selection for an interview is guaranteed or will be granted. You are welcome to update your information. 3 updates are allowed. Next status is either Interview Scheduled (after phone call) or Unable to Offer Interview (after email at end of interview cycle). (AORTA - Admissions Office Review Team for Applicants, aka ADCOM prescreen team)

No email update, but I've been somewhat compulsively following the status changes on my portal. Kudos to UCF for the frequent status updates! I also enjoy the quirky adcom acronym.

Noticed I got the "AORTA – Eligible for Interview" status on my portal today.

No email update, but I've been somewhat compulsively following the status changes on my portal. Kudos to UCF for the frequent status updates! I also enjoy the quirky adcom acronym.

+1. Any idea when interview invites are likely to start coming out?

Edit- I decided to do my own research instead...

Looks like last year the first "EFI" statuses came out around August 2nd. II's by phone call started about two weeks later. Looks like they are ahead of that this year, but there might be more overlap between orientation etc with the earlier schedule. Either way, hope everyone gets some good news soon!

Last edited:
+1. Any idea when interview invites are likely to start coming out?

Edit- I decided to do my own research instead...

Looks like last year the first "EFI" statuses came out around August 2nd. II's by phone call started about two weeks later. Looks like they are ahead of that this year, but there might be more overlap between orientation etc with the earlier schedule. Either way, hope everyone gets some good news soon!
I applied last year and was EFI the entire interview season, so it doensn't necessarily mean as soon as you get EFI you have 2 weeks to hear back. They keep you in queue as the applicants flood in/out. Just wanted to give you a heads up :D

I applied last year and was EFI the entire interview season, so it doensn't necessarily mean as soon as you get EFI you have 2 weeks to hear back. They keep you in queue as the applicants flood in/out. Just wanted to give you a heads up :D

Yup! I think last year REL said about 30-40% of EFI will get an interview at some point during the season. I think numbers were around 1100 EFI and 400 or so interviews.

EFI status as well after having the review status for a day. I will take that 40% chance over not knowing at many other schools :)

Submitted Secondary!

EFI status as well after having the review status for a day. I will take that 40% chance over not knowing at many other schools :)

Isn't it nice that they actually tell you this? I don't know why other schools don't. In years past the numbers have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 applicants, 1000 EFI (or a few more), 350-400 interviews (something like 30 to 40% like said above). Good luck guys!

Isn't it nice that they actually tell you this? I don't know why other schools don't. In years past the numbers have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 applicants, 1000 EFI (or a few more), 350-400 interviews (something like 30 to 40% like said above). Good luck guys!

I also like how UCF is very open throughout the process. Almost every FL (and even most medical schools) school doesn't tell you where you are on the wait list or keep you nearly as updated as UCF. Even though I sadly didn't interview here, I did appreciate the prompt response and the fact that UCF is willing to help people improve their application in the future. EFI was also a great way to know your chances of interview are greater than the overall percentage of ~10% or less among all applicants.

Good luck everyone!

tried to check my status today but it was blank...

tried to check my status today but it was blank...
The system updates for a 5-10 minute interval after most even hours. Presumably this was when you checked. If you still do not have a status, please send an email to the admissions office.

Hey everyone, if I take the Sept 12th MCAT and get my scores in October, and it ends up being lets say a 32 or something, would it be too late for me to have a chance at UCF? Assuming I get my primary app in this month and am just waiting on my MCAT. My GPA and EC's are good.
I took that date last year submitted in October and was accepted! Starting this year! Ucf is awesome!!!

Incoming m1 email of you have any questions! Ucf is an amazing achool! As I'm meeting my classmates we are truly not a cookie cutter class! I have heard our class average is 27! We have many family's, people who did research, volunteers, so many different undergrads, Ucf truly looks for a variety of people! Rel is the most amazing guy and I truly happy with the decision I made! Pm me for any questions! I'd be glad to help

Got accepted here last cycle and am deferring until next Fall! Looking forward to seeing who will be in my class. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!! UCF is incredible. :love:

Complete for two weeks but no EFI yet.

Shud be good by Monday.......admissions bogged down last two weeks with personnel shortage. Working over the weekend to get everyone to EFI.

Great! Thank you for the prompt reply, REL. After that's done, I can begin to be anxious about receiving an interview invite... ha!

I submitted my secondary on 7/14, and at the time of submission 2 out of 3 of my LORs were submitted. My 3rd was uploaded within the past week but no schools have marked the 3rd as received. Is this something the admissions committees will search for or should I call and let them know it is available? I ask because the status page says that it is a "manual search for LORs"

I submitted my secondary on 7/14, and at the time of submission 2 out of 3 of my LORs were submitted. My 3rd was uploaded within the past week but no schools have marked the 3rd as received. Is this something the admissions committees will search for or should I call and let them know it is available? I ask because the status page says that it is a "manual search for LORs"
IF your status is HFI, we are still evaluating LOR's, so we'll should catch it when we complete the eval. Once we evaluate letters, if we are missing something your status will be two numbers separated by a slash (3/1). First number means faculty letters, second means character/peer letters (so this example means a character letter is missing). Of course if all of the letters are there we will complete your file and send you an email noting your complete file.