2014 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! The interview went really well but it was super intimidating with 4 cdc epidemiologists questioning me. I should hear an answer on Friday! If not I always have PHAP if they will ever contact us about the next round!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get an email today that their application status changed? I got one but I don't see any differences.

I also got that email, on 3/25, stating that my application status changed. It's now listed as "Complete"...which means nothing to me, but nonetheless got me on tenterhooks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I *think* I just got referred... I received a very confusing email this morning that said I had been "Not Referred" for one job ID, and then immediately below that it said I had been "Referred" for a different job ID. So weird! When I checked USA Jobs it says "Referred" on my application status. Anyone else get this very troubling email??

I got the same email, so I went on to my USAjobs page to read more into it, and it said that my application was referred, and the last update was 3/31/14 so I'm guessing the second part of the email was right... I don't really know this whole process is quite confusing

I *think* I just got referred... I received a very confusing email this morning that said I had been "Not Referred" for one job ID, and then immediately below that it said I had been "Referred" for a different job ID. So weird! When I checked USA Jobs it says "Referred" on my application status. Anyone else get this very troubling email??

I got the exact same email and the same "Referred" status when I checked my status on USA Jobs. I revisited the timeline for the application process today and I feel like everything has been pushed a month or two later than last year's process?

I got the same thing. But it doesn't say anything about the personal statement or geographical preferences yet.

I received the same email. It is confusing. I hope it is a good sign!

I got the email too. It's is confusing. Do you guys know if your referral status changed from Submitted or something? I can't remember what mine was before.

Same here! Hopefully we get some answers soon, it's been a while now.

Members don't see this ad :)

I also got the same e-mail this morning. Could it be that the "Not Referred" is for veteran's preference and the "Referred" is for non-Veterans preference? This especially seems plausible when you look at the Vet Pref:, as it is blank on my "Not Referred" and says "NV (clm)" on the "Referred" portion of the e-mail. I took this to mean that since I am NOT a veteran, I am not being referred with a veteran's preference, but I am being referred as a non-veteran. NV stands for non-veteran eligible. Did anyone else understand the e-mail in this way?

I read that email the same way as you did, NMSUgirl, though admittedly it took me awhile to see the difference. I was given a 100 rating, even without Vet Pref, so I just couldn't accepted that I was not referred. I mean at least give me the chance to screw up on my own... I also applied last year and did my interview on the phone and I really botched it. So this year I am going to drink some espresso or something beforehand and make my mind as sharper.

Reactions: 1 users
That makes sense, thank you NMSUgirl! Also, I recall that last year I was referred maybe 3 days after people started getting their emails; hang in there!

The way I understood it was that the e-mail went out to everyone and just stated what the status options were ("referred" or "not referred"). It said that if you were "not referred" then you were no longer eligible but "referred" meant that you were considered qualified. I don't think the email actually says our status but just says that it was changed. I only saw "referred" when I logged into my account.

I received two emails saying that I was not referred :( Good Job to those who were and good luck with the rest of the application process!

Has anyone else not received an e-mail or seen a change in their status yet? I've been waiting anxiously all week, watching this forum, seeing that most have heard back either way but I'm still stuck staring at my "Reviewed" status in usajobs.

Has anyone else not received an e-mail or seen a change in their status yet? I've been waiting anxiously all week, watching this forum, seeing that most have heard back either way but I'm still stuck staring at my "Reviewed" status in usajobs.
Mine still says Reviewed as well so don't worry you aren't the only one :)

Me too! My hubby says maybe they are notifying people in batches alphabetically. What is the first letter of your last names? Mine is P. May not mean anything but who knows.

Me too! My hubby says maybe they are notifying people in batches alphabetically. What is the first letter of your last names? Mine is P. May not mean anything but who knows.
My last name starts with: H
I've heard: nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
My last name also starts with H, and I also have heard nothing. Still "reviewed" in USAJobs. They must be getting to us soon, though since H isn't that far along in the alphabet?!

On the phone with the CDC help desk now. She is saying that we should have been notified by now. She is checking for me now. Call!

I wasn't referred :( good luck to everyone that was and congrats!

I wasn't referred :( good luck to everyone that was and congrats!
I'm not moving along either :(
I spoke with a woman on the phone and she told me that, due to the high volume of applicants, they had to cut applicants who had a rating under 95.

Last edited:
Has anyone who has been referred received an e-mail asking for their personal statement and geographical preferences yet? Or heard anything else at all?

Has anyone who has been referred received an e-mail asking for their personal statement and geographical preferences yet? Or heard anything else at all?

I still have not heard anything and have not yet tried to call them but my application on USAJobs says "referred."

I spoke with a woman on the phone and she told me that, due to the high volume of applicants, they had to cut applicants who had a rating under 95.

Does your USAjobs still say Reviewed? Mine still says Reviewed, and the person I spoke to with on the phone was no help. It would certainly be a shame if they really did drop everyone with a rating under 95.

Does your USAjobs still say Reviewed? Mine still says Reviewed, and the person I spoke to with on the phone was no help. It would certainly be a shame if they really did drop everyone with a rating under 95.

It may seem like a shame, but the federal government utilizes the rating system to glean out the best applicants BEFORE they program scan resumes and spend hours and hours of manpower pouring over the remaining resumes. According to the posts on this forum, last year there were 4000 applicants for less than 2oo positions. This year there are 2600 applicants for approximately 166 positions. That is only 6 to 7% of the 2600 applicants who will be hired. HR has to cut the applicant numbers down somehow, and the rating system is how they begin to do that. I would imagine that last year the cut off might have been even higher at 98 or above due to the sheer number of applicants.

After I did my application questionnaire for my rating, I talked to a mentor of mine who explained all this and suggested that I seriously re-evaluate my experience. After I did that, I re-took the questionnaire before the application period closed. I am sure that doing this helped me score a rating of 95. This is my first time applying, so I can try again next year if I don't make it through all the rounds. Maybe you can try again next year, and in the mean time: try to get more experience before February as well as re-think how you will answer the questionnaire on your next application. BECAUSE it is ALL about getting an excellent rating so that you can be referred to the next round in the application process. Hope this helps...

So, we are fairly certain that if you haven't received an e-mail by now and your application is listed only as "Reviewed", you will not be advancing?

So, we are fairly certain that if you haven't received an e-mail by now and your application is listed only as "Reviewed", you will not be advancing?
I just got off the phone with an HR rep and she told me that they are still going through applications. She told me that they haven't gotten to mine yet and when they will I will be notified with the decision via email and on the application status. So don't worry! My application still says "reviewed" as well and I have not received an email either

Reactions: 1 users
I just got off the phone with an HR rep and she told me that they are still going through applications. She told me that they haven't gotten to mine yet and when they will I will be notified with the decision via email and on the application status. So don't worry! My application still says "reviewed" as well and I have not received an email either

Oh okay. That's unfortunate. She didn't tell me that. I still haven't gotten an email or have had an application status change either.

she told you that over the phone?? :(

Well I called because my status still says reviewed and no emails as of yet. The lady told me that I wasn't referred. I just emailed PHAP and they said notifications will be sent out in the next two weeks. Maybe there is still a glimmer of hope? I hope so because I won't be eligible anymore next year.

Well I called because my status still says reviewed and no emails as of yet. The lady told me that I wasn't referred. I just emailed PHAP and they said notifications will be sent out in the next two weeks. Maybe there is still a glimmer of hope? I hope so because I won't be eligible anymore next year.
Ok i understand. well good luck with it I wish you the best.

Hey! I got an email about a week ago that said my application was reviewed and it was NOT referred because I did not meet the education requirement (...note: I thought this was strange because I applied last yr and even interviewed and my education is still within the recent grad date)

BUT

I woke up this morning to a CDC email saying I was referred on to summit my personal statement :D odd this year seems very confusing but hey there hope still!

Yay now I have to get writing since I didn't start in advance once I got the not refered email lol!

I got referred, but I will be pulling out because I just heard that I got another CDC fellowship. If anyone gets matched up to either Arkansas or Texas I will see you around the health department! Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone else received an email congratulating them on finishing the first phase? They are now asking for my personal statement, survey and geographical location. I'm excited and nervous especially since I'm not sure where to begin with the personal statement! Good luck everyone!

My application status still says "Reviewed," and it haven't gotten any emails at all. :(

The equally frustrating thing is that I have called the numbers for both the PHAP and the HR department several times, and no one has picked up or responded to my voice messages.

My application status still says "Reviewed," and it haven't gotten any emails at all. :(

The equally frustrating thing is that I have called the numbers for both the PHAP and the HR department several times, and no one has picked up or responded to my voice messages.

I'm in the same boat, and I understand your frustration. However, the PHAP website does say that they won't respond to status inquiries by phone or e-mail, so I'd recommend not wasting your time on hold with them. Someone on this forum said that they would be sending out decisions "in the next two weeks," about a week ago. So I'm just going to keep waiting as I weigh my other options, I suppose.

I'm in the same boat, and I understand your frustration. However, the PHAP website does say that they won't respond to status inquiries by phone or e-mail, so I'd recommend not wasting your time on hold with them. Someone on this forum said that they would be sending out decisions "in the next two weeks," about a week ago. So I'm just going to keep waiting as I weigh my other options, I suppose.
Yes, I'm still in the same position as well! It is quite frustrating but don't give up hope yet :)

Has anyone else received an email congratulating them on finishing the first phase? They are now asking for my personal statement, survey and geographical location. I'm excited and nervous especially since I'm not sure where to begin with the personal statement! Good luck everyone!
YES!!! Me, too! My e-mail was sent early this morning before 5 am asking me for my personal statement and geographical preferences to be returned by April 18th through the Fellowship Management System (FMS)! Onto the next phase! Yeah!!! Hope others receive their notifications today, too!

Yay! I got an email asking for the personal statement today as well as the rest of the program awareness/ contact information questions. Looks like things are finally starting to move along.

Hopefully everyone will start to hear definitive news in the next week or so! Good luck!!

I also received the same email. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited: