2018-2019 Boston University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS, verified 7/11, low LM (66-68) and still under review :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected - LizziM 76 OOS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wtf??? At another school I'd say this has to be yield protecting, but I wouldn't expect that from BU...

I agree, yield protecting doesn't make sense for this school but this is eerie to say the least

Nothing yet on my end

For those that have received Rs today, did you answer the optional questions on the secondary?

Reactions: 3 users
I got the complete message on 7/10. I was trying to comfort myself that it could be yield protection actually. :(

Alas, such a crazy process...

Nope. Could that be relevant?

anecdotally my friend got accepted with a scholarship last year and didn't answer the optional questions so I don't think that would keep you out of the running. I really do think optional questions are truly optional!

I got the complete message on 7/10. I was trying to comfort myself that it could be yield protection actually. :(

Alas, such a crazy process...

I think that's what it has to be! With your bonkers wonderful stats you'll do amazingly, hope you applied to HMS!

Reactions: 2 users
wrote the educational timeline optional Q but not the "anything else" one, no R yet. Could be coming though i was complete 2 days after some of the people that got R's

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the stats of those they are rejecting, there's really only one logical explanation for how they choose who to reject:

Blindfolded_man_throwing_darts_BLD009417.jpeg

Reactions: 20 users
I left the educational timeline one blank because I felt it was all covered in AMCAS primary/gap year. Still waiting...

They must be really picking apart essays and LORs or something...because this is kind of crazy

maybe they got tired of sifting through 10k apps every year and just picked a couple hundred to throw in the trash, or maybe we'll check MSAR next year and their medians will be 3.95/526 lol

Reactions: 8 users
also those who got the R, is it reflected on the portal?

Have been a passive observer the past few weeks on the threads but this BU business has prompted me to make an account and post lol. OOS LM ~72. Completed 7/11. Given that some people who were complete 7/10 just recently got an unfortunate R, I'm thinking mine is en route

Reactions: 6 users
praying for us all. hoping they send out some II's soon just so this thread doesn't look so bleak.

Reactions: 4 users
Have been a passive observer the past few weeks on the threads but this BU business has prompted me to make an account and post lol. OOS LM ~72. Completed 7/11. Given that some people who were complete 7/10 just recently got an unfortunate R, I'm thinking mine is en route
Fellow 7/11'er. I'm hoping to get an email soon one way or the other just to end the anxiety!

I know a member of adcom at BU and from what I got speaking to them, I think the optional questions are truly optional so it won't hurt your application if you did not write something. Also, I know people who were accepted to BU who did not fill out the optional essays. Thought it might ease some anxiety!

Rejected - LizzyM = 75.5

Complete day off. Bummer but good luck everyone else

I know in past years they’ve rejected a lot of high stats applicants, despite being a school with relatively high stats... just another reminder that this game is more than numbers, people. They might be looking for some unique qualities beyond 4.0/528

My reaction to seeing all of these rejections:

gyyuvxyl.png

Reactions: 38 users
That poor dog in the front is every one of us waiting to hear from them still....don't know what's going to hit us

Reactions: 9 users
OOS, LizzyM ~74-76, complete 7/10 and still haven't heard back. Maybe that's a good sign? Surprised at those R's so early...

I received an update today that one of my letter writers did not sign their letter. This letter writer was an extracurricular adviser and had the letter on their organization's stationary. Should I ask them to re-submit their letter? Is that even an option?

I received an update today that one of my letter writers did not sign their letter. This letter writer was an extracurricular adviser and had the letter on their organization's stationary. Should I ask them to re-submit their letter? Is that even an option?
I had the exact same issue (and it was BU who notified me, as well).

Have your letter writer resubmit a signed letter to AMCAS under the same letter ID they submitted the original letter with.

Have your letter writer resubmit a signed letter to AMCAS under the same letter ID they submitted the original letter with.
Dope, thanks for the advice! Sorry to hear it happened to you too. Is that what you did? If so, did this affect your app at any schools that you know of?

Dope, thanks for the advice! Sorry to hear it happened to you too. Is that what you did? If so, did this affect your app at any schools that you know of?
Yep, it's exactly what I did. My letter writer was a champ, got the letter uploaded the next day, and the day after that BU emailed me again to let me know they got the updated letter and it was all good. I've had no other issues with it.

Yep, it's exactly what I did. My letter writer was a champ, got the letter uploaded the next day, and the day after that BU emailed me again to let me know they got the updated letter and it was all good. I've had no other issues with it.
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it! May the odds this cycle be ever in your favor

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it! May the odds this cycle be ever in your favor
No problem! I know it's easier said than done, but don't panic about this! It's a non-issue and a super easy fix. Save the panic for other things!

For all the people that got the R, did you guys get an email about this or did you randomly check your portal? If so, I'll avoid checking my portal for a while lol

At the very high LizzyMs, they could still be yield protecting. Cuz lets be real BU is a top 30 but people with LizzyMs 80+ are probably going to a T10. Or maybe they are doing something like Dell Med in Texas and just being SUPER picky..

+3 had to do this as well, despite having a committee letter

At the very high LizzyMs, they could still be yield protecting. Cuz lets be real BU is a top 30 but people with LizzyMs 80+ are probably going to a T10. Or maybe they are doing something like Dell Med in Texas and just being SUPER picky..
Although I'm inclined to agree with you about LM 80+, I would imagine that BU accepts a few of those people who matriculate right? Their medians are 3.83 and 518. That's pretty high for half the (acceptees or matriculants.. hmm I don't know) to be above.

Anyway, if the Interview tracker is to be believed, Keck is interviewing a bunch of 3.9+ 520+ students. I would imagine those students would likely get a few T20 acceptances and would likely choose such a less expensive school. So I don't know how to gauge yield protection anymore. Does it even happen at any upper mid to top tier schools? Maybe they just invite everyone they really like for interviews?

Although I'm inclined to agree with you about LM 80+, I would imagine that BU accepts a few of those people who matriculate right? Their medians are 3.83 and 518. That's pretty high for half the (acceptees or matriculants.. hmm I don't know) to be above.

Anyway, if the Interview tracker is to be believed, Keck is interviewing a bunch of 3.9+ 520+ students. I would imagine those students would likely get a few T20 acceptances and would likely choose such a less expensive school. So I don't know how to gauge yield protection anymore. Does it even happen at any upper mid to top tier schools? Maybe they just invite everyone they really like for interviews?

Like you, I don’t interpret BU rejecting 71 or 74 or 75 or 80+ LizzyM as yield protecting. They can only interview so many people, and inevitably high stat applicants will not get an interview at every single school.

Damn. I’m seeing this thread for the first time. I was complete 7/13. I had no idea a bloodbath already happened. Were all of you complete before me? I’m not putting too much hope in BU in any case
i think most if not all of the people rejected were 7/10