2018-2019 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would they accept someone off the waitlist if they over accepted already?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not Dr. Woldenberg but someone else pretty high up in Northwell.

I was told by someone in Hofstra that the class is almost filled. I did not know that they over-accepted. Time to work on AMCAS 2020.:dead:

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Why would they accept someone off the waitlist if they over accepted already?
That’s honestly a good question, I’ve just heard that they’re over-accepted and they’re looking for people to drop acceptances. They’re probably going off whatever internal calculation they have of people holding on to multiple acceptances still because of the CTE. I was hoping to get off the waitlist here too so I’m not super enthused to hear the news either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else who withdrew received a refund for your 100 dollars? I could really use that cash right about now!

Just withdrew my first tier waitlist. Was accepted at UB MDPhD and just got better vibes from the PD over there, as well as not having to worry about negotiating driving in a busy city as LI.

I'm really sad about giving up the option of doing my Ph.D. at Cold Spring Harbor as well as losing the hospital network of NSU-LIJ-Lenox.

Friendly reminder that if you hold a currently have promising acceptance in your deck to reject your other options so that other people have a chance. Your acceptance could be someones first choice :). Good luck to you all!

1st tier waitlist here, all this bad news is killing me

Would you mind sharing your stats and whether you sent a letter of interest/intent?

Hi!
Thank you so much!!
LizzyM 69 with heavy undergrad and postgrad research experiences as well as a lot of unique extracurriculars.
I did not send a letter of intent/ interest. However, I was very honest on the waitlist survey and wrote why I thought Hofstra was the best fit for me/ that it was my first choice.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have never sent that letter of intent. Too desperate...

I also sent one, I doubt that would make you look “desperate” and shouldn’t hurt you... but who am I to speak, I’m in the same boat.

I also interviewed for MD/PhD so I don’t know how that’s gonna affect me tbh

I also interviewed for MD/PhD so I don’t know how that’s gonna affect me tbh
I interviewed for MDPhD and called the Adcomm a few times, each time they said that they make their decisions independent of each other. I also sent like 2 LOI's one in december, other in feb

does anyone know whether the zucker som scholarship is renewed yearly or if it’s a one time deal?

Pre-matriculation packet is finally updated!

Got another reminder to complete the waitlist survey yesterday. They are just toying with our emotions at this point.

turned down my acceptance from the wl so hopefully one of y’all will receive some good news soon!!

Got my app ready for this Friday. Still praying to hear good news this week hahahaha

When I contacted the admissions, they said it could extend out till the first week of class hahaha
I believe the class is almost filled, if not already. Waitlist movement, if there will be any, will be small and infrequent through out June and July.

It’s so sad too see this place so quiet

I've already began pre-writing secondaries... I am still holding out on this 1st tier WL though; Hofstra has remained my number one pick.
From the 2018-2019 waitlist support thread, someone said that there has been at least 5-10 new people added to the Facebook page. So waitlist movement has been happening......

It has been awfully silent here, difficult to read how its been playing out at this point

I’m hoping that the end of this week still brings some last hope of movement

I'm sure a couple more spots will open up since it's still mid June, but not nearly to the extent that I originally thought. For a relatively small 100 person class that seems to have secured almost all of its seats and quite a substantial first-tier WL, even an optimistic person like myself has to admit that the chances are slim to none at this point. Not entirely giving up yet but it's important to be realistic. Regardless, best of luck to everyone!

Any recommendations on areas to live (or avoid)? I'm thinking of getting an apartment in Mineola or Westbury.

From what I heard from a friend who grew up in LI is that the more south you go the worse the surroundings.

Any upperclassmen that used anki willing to help me out with a couple of questions?

What sold it for me was the revisit weekend. It was clear that the faculty and administrators were extremely accessivle and dedicated to helping us succeed in whatever we wanted to pursue, and it held true. Our professors have an open door policy almost every day of the week, and they make it a point to know the names of all of their students. It made the first two years as enjoyable and personal as it could get, which I really enjoyed.

Looking back over the clinical years, there isn’t a thing I would change - we rotated at two large academic hospitals and the attendings and residents that I worked with emphasized student education. They’re all a great group of people to work with and at the end of the day, I had a pretty nice experience. Nothing really about the MS3-4 years I would change. Some people disliked the EMT curriculum, but it’s really meant to be a brief overview of everything as an easy segue into medical school (although as an MS1, it was easy to fall into the trap of feeling like you had to know everything). I wished there was some acknowledgement of those expectations, but otherwise I thought they worked out the nuts and bolts of the curriculum pretty well.

If you have more specific questions about the curriculum I’m more than happy to answer. Can also DM me if you want

Would you say you had an adjustment period before you got used to the nature of the curriculum? How did you feel about that? What kind of strategies did you end up adopting?