2018-2019 Hofstra University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 characters)

If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (1500 characters)

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a silly question, but their website says "to apply, you must have a bachelor's degree". I'm assuming they mean you must possess a bachelor's degree by the time you matriculate?... Not that you are actually required to hold one just to apply?

This is a silly question, but their website says "to apply, you must have a bachelor's degree". I'm assuming they mean you must possess a bachelor's degree by the time you matriculate?... Not that you are actually required to hold one just to apply?
Yup, a lot of schools say that, but you just need a bachelor's degree by matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts are:

If you are currently not a matriculated student, please indicate what you have been doing since the time of graduation until now. (1500 characters)

If your undergraduate education was interrupted for any reason and you were not enrolled in classes, please indicate the reasons, the duration of the interruption, and how you spent your time. This does not include time between programs post-graduation. (1500 characters)

Please use this space to describe any challenge or obstacle you have faced prior to your application to medical school and how you addressed that challenge. (1500 characters)

@Lawper

Prompts are:

@Lawper
+1

I have a question about the “interrupted for any reason” prompt.

I graduated high school in 2009 and went to a university for 2 months before withdrawing and joining the Air Force. Would this be considered an interruption? All of this can be easily inferred from my primary obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also received secondary this AM. I’m liking how straightforward it is.

I have a question about the “interrupted for any reason” prompt.

I graduated high school in 2009 and went to a university for 2 months before withdrawing and joining the Air Force. Would this be considered an interruption? All of this can be easily inferred from my primary obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think since you were actually enrolled and began taking classes, the safe answer would be yes. Should be pretty straightforward and give you an opportunity to expand more on this area if you haven’t done so in your primary.

For the challenge/obstacle essay, is that more of a one time challenge (i.e overcoming stage fright) or like a life challenge (growing up poor, underserved etc)?

For the challenge/obstacle essay, is that more of a one time challenge (i.e overcoming stage fright) or like a life challenge (growing up poor, underserved etc)?
For my app last year, I wrote it as a life challenge essay. Otherwise, I would write about some other persistent problem you have faced. I can't remember if this prompt is optional or not, though.

I went with life challenge. Honestly, either will work so long as you can articulate how you overcame and grew from the experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Would addressing my slow start in college (GPA-wise) due to parents divorce and other stressful events my first year be appropriate for this challenge essay. I dont want to echo my PS and talk about my health issues again for all these challenge essays

Members don't see this ad :)
Would addressing my slow start in college (GPA-wise) due to parents divorce and other stressful events my first year be appropriate for this challenge essay. I dont want to echo my PS and talk about my health issues again for all these challenge essays
I feel like this will work fine and gives you a chance to explain to the adcoms your situation. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Have a quick question for the following:

I have graduated in May 2018. So does that mean I need to answer this question?

@TheGreatAli I am just listing the two new things that I am doing over my gap year since I was unable to include them on my primary app, I graduated in June 2018 and am still doing it

Anyone else's app still say that their LORs haven't been uploaded? I submitted a few days ago but the website says it normally takes 24-48 hours...

Anyone else's app still say that their LORs haven't been uploaded? I submitted a few days ago but the website says it normally takes 24-48 hours...
Me too. Several schools are like this so I think it just takes time.

Me too. Several schools are like this so I think it just takes time.
Keep in mind that most schools use the same program (AMP) to host their apps so it could just be a delay with the program as a whole too

Reactions: 1 users
Complete this AM. According to their email, they do not accommodate ITA emails. Heads up y’all.

I am pre-writing, could someone who has the secondary tell me if the character counts include spaces or not?

for " Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institutional or legal)?" would I have to say I filed a title9 sexual assault case against another student since that's an institutional process? I guess this question extends to other schools that ask the same question as well

for " Have you ever been subject to any investigations, actions, or convictions (either institutional or legal)?" would I have to say I filed a title9 sexual assault case against another student since that's an institutional process? I guess this question extends to other schools that ask the same question as well
I don't believe so. This question is asking if anything has been filed against you.

Hey guys! I'm a rising MS2 here at Zucker School of Medicine/Hofstra. If you guys have any questions about the school, feel free to send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Good luck to everyone applying! :)

Any news of IIs? Their website says they start giving out IIs in July, but this thread has been pretty dead lately lol.

Any news of IIs? Their website says they start giving out IIs in July, but this thread has been pretty dead lately lol.

I know what you mean. I've been under review since the 6th so I'm dying to hear some news (hopefully good lol) from them soon

The new incoming class just had orientation and will be starting in a few days. Office of Admissions is probably just waiting for them to settle in before sending out invites.

Hofstra has been as silent as the grave lol. Hopefully they start invites this week? :xf:

Reactions: 3 users
Hofstra has been as silent as the grave lol. Hopefully they start invites this week? :xf:
Last year it seems like they sent out their first round of IIs this week so hopefully they're consistent with their timing lol

Complete 7/9, OOS, Nothing yet

II today! Complete 7/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interview!!!! Complete on 7/2 :D :D :D

Primary verified 8/7
Secondary received 8/9
Secondary submitted 8/9 (pre-wrote)
Best of luck everyone!
LizzyM 69, OOS, URM

Also, I just wanted to add, for all those people freaking out about typos or little errors in their apps (I am one of you), the last sentence of one of my essays to this school got cut off and was missing a couple of words! Figured I'd share because these little things have been driving me nuts this cycle.

Also, I just wanted to add, for all those people freaking out about typos or little errors in their apps (I am one of you), the last sentence of one of my essays to this school got cut off and was missing a couple of words! Figured I'd share because these little things have been driving me nuts this cycle.

+1

I had a sentence repeated in one of the prompts because I copy/pasted wrong and my eyes skipped over it while proofreading and yet I still got an II on Wednesday!