2019-2020 Touro University (Vallejo, California) TUCOM-CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi! I'm a 1st yr at TUCOM. Not on SDN much, but feel free to ask me anything (that a first yr would be able to answer).
Thanks! Can I ask you how the rotation system works there for 3rd and 4th years? What is the student to physician mentor ratio in 3rd rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming class here. Are we going to create some type of facebook page for the class of 2024 so we can all communicate on housing and other issues?

Hey! So most people live on Mare Island (where the campus is) and almost everyone has a car. I live around 15 mins away and the commute is really not that bad and plus I'm close to Costco/In n out/ Safeway. Also, most people rent rooms/ or houses as a group of friends. I would say around 80% of students live with other students in houses, not apartments. Again, I HIGHLY recommend bringing a car because it's almost impossible to get groceries/ go out without one.

As far as the social life, Touro is really good about that. Because of our decently small class size, our class got really close really fast. The atmosphere is extremely relaxed and everyone is willing to help each other out; it is rare that people are competitive here. When you start school you will be put into 2 groups: one is your TBL and the other is your doctoring group. You will spend a LOT of time with both groups and most people somehow find their best friends like that. Also on weekends, people usually have house parties or go on skiing trips/ trips to SF. Always fun things to do.

One more question, kind of random but are there good study spaces on campus or around the island? I really enjoy studying out in public, like libraries/cafes/so on :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming class here. Are we going to create some type of facebook page for the class of 2024 so we can all communicate on housing and other issues?
I thought class of 2023 does that for us. Could be wrong

Interviewed on 3/2 and Touro-CA is really the 1st in my list. Do anyone here know what the post-interview acceptance rate is like and do they still have seats left at this point?
This thread is pretty quiet.. couldn't find any information. Thanks in advance!

Interviewed on 3/2 and Touro-CA is really the 1st in my list. Do anyone here know what the post-interview acceptance rate is like and do they still have seats left at this point?
This thread is pretty quiet.. couldn't find any information. Thanks in advance!

Apparently around 80%. Idk where this data is from, but for most of the schools the info seems spot on.

Apparently around 80%. Idk where this data is from, but for most of the schools the info seems spot on.
Wow thanks a lot! I remembered from my interview day that they said this year 135 seats are available. The data sheet has more than that. That means my chance is lower.. :'(

Wow thanks a lot! I remembered from my interview day that they said this year 135 seats are available. The data sheet has more than that. That means my chance is lower.. :'(
That's from 2018, not this cycle.

There is one. My link posting did not work very well but it's called 'Touro University California TUCOM 2024'

I see the TUCOM entered a fully remote operations contingency plan. I wonder how will that impact the school interviews and post II acceptance decision. Does anyone know or have scheduled interviews in the near future? Any comments are appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw the email about the Interview Format Changes from them and thought it was an II..anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
I also had a similar chest clutching moment. I think this also must mean that they are still planning on sending out additional invites and that those who received this email must still have some chance or does this seem like wishful thinking?

There are definitely slots still open! I talked to the admissions counselor before all of this and she said they interview until May. Thus, they will probably be interviewing until even later now.

Anyone interviewed recently and got response from the school? Just wonder if they are still working on the incoming class while dealing with remote work things..
Everyone stays safe and healthy!

Is today when the 3/3 cohort is supposed to hear back?

Is today when the 3/3 cohort is supposed to hear back?
Yes I believe so. I was in 3/2 cohort, and Ms. Rodgers told us they would meet on 19 and release the decision on the 20th. You the same?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I believe so. I was in 3/2 cohort, and Ms. Rodgers told us they would meet on 19 and release the decision on the 20th. You the same?

Yea I remember she said they'd meet on the 19th and make a decision on the 20th. Just wasn't sure when they'd release the decision to us, but today makes sense. Hoping for the best of luck to all of us!

Yea I remember she said they'd meet on the 19th and make a decision on the 20th. Just wasn't sure when they'd release the decision to us, but today makes sense. Hoping for the best of luck to all of us!
They said they would release decision to us on the 21st!

Reactions: 2 users
Okay I hope they still met online, because they have entered remote operations since this Sunday if I remember it correctly.
Best of luck for all of us!

Just got an email.. High Alternate.. now i'm praying..

also got high alternate and interviewed on 3/2... anyone know what the chances are of getting off of high alternate and when it could happen?

I see the TUCOM entered a fully remote operations contingency plan. I wonder how will that impact the school interviews and post II acceptance decision. Does anyone know or have scheduled interviews in the near future? Any comments are appreciated. :)
I had an interview scheduled for 3/30 and they changed the interview day format to online.

also got high alternate and interviewed on 3/2... anyone know what the chances are of getting off of high alternate and when it could happen?

From what I’ve read and what they said at my interview day, chances are really good

From what I’ve read and what they said at my interview day, chances are really good
I also heard the same thing. Basically, Dr. Hartwig said in average 4.5k I, 1k II, 700 IA, 300A, and 135 matriculation. Hope this helps! I also read things online, and it seems HIgh Alternate list gives pretty good chances! Be positive~
I look forward to seeing you when school starts!

2020 TOURO CA MATCH RESULTS

ANESTHESIOLOGY

University of Washington
University of Arizona
Kaweah Delta
UT Houston
Kaweah Delta
Medical College Wisconsin

EMERGENCY MEDICINE
OHSU
St. Barnabas Hospital
Kaweah-Delta Medical Center
Northwell Staten Island University
UHOC
New York Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist
Kaweah Delta
SUNY Upstate
Valley Health

FAMILY MEDICINE
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
John Muir
Kaiser Fontana
PIH Downey
Sunrise Health
Dignity Health - Northridge
Sunrise Health
Natividad Medical Center
Kaiser - Los Angeles
Ventura County Medical Center
RUHS/UC Riverside
Valley Consortium
Kaiser Fontana
Dignity Health - Merced
Peak Vista
Darnall Army Medical Center
Adventist Health Glendale
Kaiser Santa Rosa
Kaiser Santa Rosa
Natividad Medical Center
Valley Consortium

GENERAL SURGERY
Hackensack - Palisades
Riverside Community Hospital

INTERNAL MEDICINE
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UCSF Fresno
Legacy
UC Riverside
Henry Ford/Michigan State
Scripps Mercy
Riverside Community Hospital
Saint Marys Medical Center
Adventist Health White Memorial
Cook County Hospital
Community Memorial Health
Adventist Health White Memorial
Kern Medical
UT Health San Antonio
Highland
Highland
St. Louis University
Highland
St. Mary's Medical Center
UNLV
Scripps Mercy
Lenox Hill
U of A Phoenix
University of Hawaii
Highland
Community Memorial Health
Spectrum Health/Michigan State University
Loma Linda
UNLV
University of Connecticut

NEUROLOGY
Maine Medical Center
Loma Linda University
UCLA Harbor
Albany Medical Center

NEUROSURGERY
Riverside University Health System

OBGYN
Richmond University Medical Center
HCA Houston Healthcare/U Houston
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center

OPTHALMOLOGY
St. John's Episcopal

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
Riverside University Health System

PEDIATRICS
OHSU
LAC+USC
Kaiser Oakland
Maimonides Medical Center
Valley Children's Hospital
LAC+USC
Tucson Hospitals Medical Education Program
U of Louisville/Norton Children's
Children's Hospital Oakland

PM&R
Columbia-Cornell New York Presbyterian
Medical College of Wisconsin

PSYCHIATRY
UCSF Fresno
University of Reno
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda University
UCSF Fresno
MedStar/Georgetown Univ Hosp
Healthone/sky ridge hosp

RADIOLOGY
Sunrise Health
Oklahoma State University

TRANSITIONAL
St. Joseph's
Hemet Valley Medical
Blake Medical Center
Kaweah Delta

PRELIM-SURGERY
St. Joseph's Hospital
UCSF East Bay/Highland

PRELIM-MEDICINE
Westchester Medical Center

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Saw the email about the Interview Format Changes from them and thought it was an II..anyone else?

Curious to what they sent out? I put down my deposit but they haven't really sent any updates.

Anyways, here are the numbers I wrote down from the interview day. I can't remember if it was Leela or Dr. Hartwig that said it.

600 Interview Invites
500 end up interviewing
350-400 accepted
135 end up matriculating

Oh, and regarding waitlist, they said they have 3 alternates literally on the white coat day. Apparently 2 accepted didn't show up so 2 alts ended up matriculating. Not sure how true this is or if I'm remembering accurately, but I hope that keeps everyone's spirits up!

Good luck!

Anyone else from the March 2nd/3rd Group hear back?

Hey everybody! I'm a first year Touro COM student!
If you're accepted, please feel free to request to join the FB group titled "Touro University California TUCOM 2024." You'll have to send a screen shot of your admissions letter to both <[email protected]>AND <[email protected]> to be approved. As more of you join, you'll be able to maybe reach out to each other (possibly look for housing) and connect with current students to get some of your questions answered.

Also, I'm here to answer questions as well! I'm somewhat related to the admissions process, so I may be able to answer some/most of your questions.

Reactions: 4 users
has anyone got acceptance yet from students who were put on a high alternate list?

Hey everybody! I'm a first year Touro COM student!
If you're accepted, please feel free to request to join the FB group titled "Touro University California TUCOM 2024." You'll have to send a screen shot of your admissions letter to both <[email protected]>AND <[email protected]> to be approved. As more of you join, you'll be able to maybe reach out to each other (possibly look for housing) and connect with current students to get some of your questions answered.

Also, I'm here to answer questions as well! I'm somewhat related to the admissions process, so I may be able to answer some/most of your questions.

Hi! I was wondering if there is anything I can do to be offered a possible interview? TUCOM CA is a top choice school for me. I would really appreciate any insight you may have that you are allowed to give. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Hi! I was placed on the waitlist pre interview and was wondering if there is anything I can do to help get off the waitlist and be offered a possible interview? TUCOM CA is a top choice school for me. I would really appreciate any insight you may have that you are allowed to give. Thank you in advance!

Hi Sockers! How did you know you were placed on the waitlist pre-interview? Did they email you?

Hi! I was placed on the waitlist pre interview and was wondering if there is anything I can do to help get off the waitlist and be offered a possible interview? TUCOM CA is a top choice school for me. I would really appreciate any insight you may have that you are allowed to give. Thank you in advance!
Could you please email [email protected] with some more details with your situation?

Hi Sockers! How did you know you were placed on the waitlist pre-interview? Did they email you?

Hi, I apologize but I was trying to ask what I could do to possibly be offered an interview as I have not yet heard anything regarding my admissions status (in terms of rejection or interview invite). Sorry for the mix-up and thank you for your reply!

Hello, recently accepted to TUCOM. Are there any 3rd or 4th years here who could give insight into the rotation sites?

Last edited:
Sure. What specifically would you like to know?
How does TUCOM assign 3rd year rotations? Lottery system of
Sure. What specifically would you like to know?

Does the school have more ward based or preceptor based rotations? And do you think you got enough exposure and hands on experience at your rotation sites?
Overall do you think the rotations offered by TUCOM prepare you for residency?

Also any pros and cons about the school would be appreciated.

How does TUCOM assign 3rd year rotations? Lottery system of

Does the school have more ward based or preceptor based rotations? And do you think you got enough exposure and hands on experience at your rotation sites?
Overall do you think the rotations offered by TUCOM prepare you for residency?

Also any pros and cons about the school would be appreciated.
TUCOM assigns rotation sites via a lottery process midway through the 2nd year. I just checked our 3rd year options, and this years class has 12 core site options available to them-- each with a different range of preceptor/residency program/ward based rotations available. I think this is ideal, as different students will have different goals for residency. Some people want intense rotations and some people want chill with more time to study for shelf exams (remember if you don't honor the shelf, you don't honor the rotation no matter how hard you work in clinic), and there are sites that can facilitate that. At least in my class, I believe everyone got one of their top 3 choices for their 3rd year CORE site-- at least until we lost the Arrowhead core site. Some people definitely got the short end of the stick with that situation. You also have the opportunity to use up to 3 months of 3rd year to do whatever you want, so you can get more WARD or preceptor based experience depending on your needs.

One good thing Touro has done is to make St. Joseph's in Stockton our defacto teaching hospital-- and I think we send about 30 students a year there. We have a transitional year, FM, IM, and ER residency there right now, and I believe we are getting accreditation for OBGYN and Anesthesia in the coming years. I've heard our preclinical students are actually finding summer research opportunities there now as well (but that's on hold due to COVID).

The best part of 3rd year at Touro is that you get 2 Clinical Distinction months and 1 elective month. I'm not aware of any other schools where you get that much time as a 3rd year to try to figure out what you want to do, or improve your CV. Clinical Distinction months are designated months where you can do essentially whatever you want. If you feel like you want another month to study for Step 1/2, you can do that. If you want to do an IM research project to make yourself competitive for an academic program, you can do that. If you want to rotate in a residency program you are interested in, or explore another specialty that is not a CORE rotation, (ie: PM&R, Rads, CT surgery, etc) you can do that to. You can use your third year to build your CV for your desired residency-- and I think it is very unique to our school. Through these experiences, I've met quite a few students from DO and MD schools across the country, and they were all jealous of how much elective time we get. The only negative of this is that you will have to do the ground work to find these opportunities, or create them for yourself for the most part.

It's also important to consider how schools allow you to set up your 4th year. At Touro, you have to set it up, but I think this is a good thing-- as you can go where you want. Current 4th year requirements are 5.5 months of electives (so you can do five 4 week audition rotations if you want) to get that competitive residency spot, 1 month FM, 2 weeks Peds, 2 weeks OBGYN, 1 month ICU, 1 month EM, and a 2 week OMM rotation. That's pretty sweet. Keep in mind that some DO schools only allow 3 months for electives during the 4th year, and force you to do months of rural/FM/primary care rotations. That is great if you want to do primary care, but if not, it will limit your residency chances in certain specialties that require you to do a lot of audition rotations. Luckily, we do not have that issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Still hoping for an II from here...

I was accepted here in February and was pretty set on going, but just received an interview at Touro Nevada today. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to take the interview--has anyone interviewed at both and have any insight? or for any current students, is there a reason you would pick Touro CA over Touro NV?

I was accepted here in February and was pretty set on going, but just received an interview at Touro Nevada today. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to take the interview--has anyone interviewed at both and have any insight? or for any current students, is there a reason you would pick Touro CA over Touro NV?
do you mind sharing what days were available for touro nevada? until when are they interviewing?

I'm from Sacramento, CA. Done my SMP and OMII at TUNCOM. Loved this school, they have open door policy. One advantage for sure over TUcom is the rotations are within 30 min/30 miles radius so you don't have to move for 4 years. Let me know if you have any other questions. I live by myself in 2 bed/2 bath condo for $1100/month rent. It all depends where are you from CA.

Last edited: