2019-2020 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the list of activities, did y'all include everything in AMCAS, or just like top 5 most meaningful

I included (almost) everything because the example they gave seemed to include even more generic/minor ECs

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't apply here but it looks like everyone I interact with on here did. Wanted to stop by and say hello, congrats to all both past, present, and future, and PEACE OUT!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply here but it looks like everyone I interact with on here did. Wanted to stop by and say hello, congrats to all both past, present, and future, and PEACE OUT!
why not?

Good reasons. I find it crazy that people just go down the list and apply to 20/20 top 20’s even if they’re in locations they don’t want to be, just to maximize their chances of attending a “top” school regardless of whether they’d actually be happy there. My location preference limits me to 15 schools and I’m completely okay with it
I'm ok living just about anywhere, but I understand why people have their preferences. Also, with your LM score, you can afford to be picky. Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Good reasons. I find it crazy that people just go down the list and apply to 20/20 top 20’s even if they’re in locations they don’t want to be, just to maximize their chances of attending a “top” school regardless of whether they’d actually be happy there. My location preference limits me to 15 schools and I’m completely okay with it
Yale has unique aspects to them which may not be offered by top 100. They are very laid back and depend completely on honor system for shelf tests etc.

Not having shelf exams is a blessing and a curse I would say. On one hand you have less exams, which is always good. On the other, your second most import aspect to residency applications is now graded in a completely subjective manner.
They have shelf. You can take it in your room at midnight on honor code.

Reactions: 2 users
Because New Haven is expensive, has relatively high crime rates, and has terrible elementary schools.
Interesting. Yale professors are not taking care of their own children..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. Yale professors are not taking care of their own children..
They can likely afford the private schools. If you wanna send me $15-$40K for my daughter to have not-so-****ty preschool, be my guest.

Members don't see this ad :)
They can likely afford the private schools. If you wanna send me $15-$40K for my daughter to have not-so-****ty preschool, be my guest.
Not good enough. They are all so woke about everything except truly taking care of their own neighbors if they are not ensuring good schools for everyone.

Not good enough. They are all so woke about everything except truly taking care of their own neighbors if they are not ensuring good schools for everyone.
I have heard that this is actually a huge problem people have with Yale.

And thus you see the dilemma of a non-trad applying to ivies.

And thus you see the dilemma of a non-trad applying to ivies.
Baylor definitely fits your profile, i.e., there are very good elementary schools close by. Same with UT Houston since they are opposite to each other.

Dartmouth
I was thinking Hanover PA, imma idiot. Yah, Dartmouth is in my Top 10 choices lol only downside is the spousal job market.

I ain’t even applying here, thanks for the info and discussion. Congrats to all, gonna stop detailing.

Just received the R for the MD/PhD program

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Any recent activity here? It's been eerily quiet compared to last cycle.

Last edited:
II received just now. Complete 8/11. LM 74

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
This is my first time applying American so this may be a dumb question.... if someone was complete after you, and has received an II, is that bad news for you aha?

This is my first time applying American so this may be a dumb question.... if someone was complete after you, and has received an II, is that bad news for you aha?
Not really. A lot of schools don’t review apps chronologically. They might stratify based on stats or minority status or other desirable characteristics. If you have higher stats and were complete earlier than someone who got an II, then you could think that they looked at your app but weren’t ready to give you an II. But that doesn’t mean you won’t get an II later on.

Not really. A lot of schools don’t review apps chronologically. They might stratify based on stats or minority status or other desirable characteristics. If you have higher stats and were complete earlier than someone who got an II, then you could think that they looked at your app but weren’t ready to give you an II. But that doesn’t mean you won’t get an II later on.
Ohhh okay that makes sense. Thank you for the insight I really appreciate it!

II yesterday! Complete 7/31, Interview dates available were mid-late October

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Would it be ok to put my abstracts/papers in progress on the activities sections? Or abstracts where I'm 3rd/4th author?

Hi everyone,
For yale's secondary, in Part 1 (activities listing). They include publications together with activities.
Can I put my more important (1st author) publications in the Activities/top part and then my other publications in their Awards part?
I would rather not lump them together as they were published in different disease areas.
I would put all your publications in the awards part, in order of importance. That’s what I did.

Just put the research position(s) in the activities part.

II yesterday, complete early august,

how are ppl getting to yale, like which airport

• Love
II yesterday, complete early august,

how are ppl getting to yale, like which airport

Hartford is closest. About 45-50 minutes. That’s where I’m flying to. LGA/ Kennedy about 2 hrs.

Fingers crossed that our international status put us in a different pool for app review...I'm also looking forward to an interview here.

Anyone know if Yale is open to ITA emails? I’ll be 1.5 hour drive away flying from the other side of the country.

If so, what is preferred method (email vs uploading an update via portal)

Is it too late to apply here? LM of 71, no research and Latino. I pre-wrote this secondary and decided not too add it to my primary last minute. Having some regrets now.