2020-2021 Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the admissions committee review everyone at once at the end or on a rolling basis and simply release decisions at the end at once ?
Asking because I Interviewed a bit ago but if I send an update now, would it still be taken into account and reviewed by the committee?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
wow this thread has been silent ... any news on II's still coming out, or do y'all think Yale is done for the season?

Reactions: 2 users
I think Yale is sending them out until feb but they might send them all out at once? Idk

Members don't see this ad :)
wow this thread has been silent ... any news on II's still coming out, or do y'all think Yale is done for the season?
I could see maybe 1 or 2 more waves within the next 2-3 weeks. Since they are essentially switching to a nonrolling model, I assume they need some time to discuss. Generally, I think alot of the t20s have found ways to make up for the delays and I dont expect much once Feb hits.

I could see maybe 1 or 2 more waves within the next 2-3 weeks. Since they are essentially switching to a nonrolling model, I assume they need some time to discuss. Generally, I think alot of the t20s have found ways to make up for the delays and I dont expect much once Feb hits.
What do you mean by switching to a non rolling model?

What do you mean by switching to a non rolling model?
They mentioned that they were fully nonrolling this year. I think in the past they were rolling but like distinct waves. This year, all decisions are going to be made at the end of interview season. I just looked it up and they said they would send decisions letters by March 15

Reactions: 1 user
They mentioned that they were fully nonrolling this year. I think in the past they were rolling but like distinct waves. This year, all decisions are going to be made at the end of interview season. I just looked it up and they said they would send decisions letters by March 15
Ah okay thanks! I read the original incorrectly I thought they were saying they were rolling at some point this cycle haha

FYI to anyone applying for fin aid, I just submitted CSS, and it says the priority filing date for Yale Med is 2/26/2021.
Should people who haven't gotten II worry about this yet? What distinguishes priority filing from regular

Reactions: 1 users
does this school like thank you notes after interviews or no ?

Hi everyone! In the past, has Yale sent IIs in February or is it always over in Jan? Trying to understand if the radio silence since July definitely means rejected or not

Do you guys remember whether they gave us a date for decision release?
I don't think they gave a specific date, but I remember them saying that their goal is to have decisions released by March 15th. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't think they gave a specific date, but I remember them saying that their goal is to have decisions released by March 15th. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Yup thats what they said in the interview! I think last year decisions came out earlier (end of Feb) so hopefully we find out around then as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup thats what they said in the interview! I think last year decisions came out earlier (end of Feb) so hopefully we find out around then as well.
I recall them saying they’re aiming for the first week of March this year. Best of luck to us all!

Should people who haven't gotten II worry about this yet? What distinguishes priority filing from regular

I wouldn't worry pre-II. They said that if you filed by the priority date, you would get financial aid package at the same time of acceptance. I don't think filing later would affect your aid package, you would just find out later.

Heyy! I emailed the admissions committee and this is what they responded: “All applicants to Yale School of Medicine receive their admissions decision in early March 2021 and our admissions review process is active until decisions are released. Scheduled interview dates extend through mid-February; however, we will not hesitate to invite an applicant to interview at any point prior to decision release if they are selected by our admissions committee.” I am still waiting and dont know if that helps anyone else still wondering whats up

Reactions: 12 users
Heyy! I emailed the admissions committee and this is what they responded: “All applicants to Yale School of Medicine receive their admissions decision in early March 2021 and our admissions review process is active until decisions are released. Scheduled interview dates extend through mid-February; however, we will not hesitate to invite an applicant to interview at any point prior to decision release if they are selected by our admissions committee.” I am still waiting and dont know if that helps anyone else still wondering whats up
yoo i've seen you on so many threads today haha - really appreciate you sending emails to admissions inquiring about the interview timeline and letting us know. super helpful!!

Reactions: 3 users
yoo i've seen you on so many threads today haha - really appreciate you sending emails to admissions inquiring about the interview timeline and letting us know. super helpful!!

Hahaha yeah ofc!! I mean I literally spent my day yesterday contacting admissions offices because I wanted answers and thought that so many people would appreciate the info. Glad it helps :) waiting on some more responses lmao

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
Do y'all think II -> A rate is gonna be lower this year bc of the pandemic / virtual interviews or am i just freaking out ?

Do y'all think II -> A rate is gonna be lower this year bc of the pandemic / virtual interviews or am i just freaking out ?
Depends. Some schools did interview more this year than last (like Vandy), but I also think they would offer more As because with free interviews people have more options wrt matriculation. If not, WL movement will at least be better. I think most schools won't see too many changes though.

Is Yale done giving out IIs? Radio silence since July for me, probably a soft R?

Is Yale done giving out IIs? Radio silence since July for me, probably a soft R?
In the same boat but complete August; I think Yale is a school that silently rejects so I'm just going with the R. I know they mentioned interviewing until Feb but I assume they have given out all their IIs by now

In the same boat but complete August; I think Yale is a school that silently rejects so I'm just going with the R. I know they mentioned interviewing until Feb but I assume they have given out all their IIs by now
Thanks. Yeah, that's my assumption too. Kind of wild to me that you can spend hours writing essays and cough up $100+ and schools won't even send a boilerplate R email. I know that schools have their reasons and that we aren't entitled to anything, but feelsbadman

• Care
Sooooo my interview was 3 weeks ago and I totally blanked on sending thank you’s to my interviewers - should I bother still? Just bc the interviews were with adcom and admissions office people, their decisions aren’t until March, and I know the interviewers respond to thank you - or is it just a bad look to send them this late?

Any help regarding my idiocy would be greatly appreciated

Sooooo my interview was 3 weeks ago and I totally blanked on sending thank you’s to my interviewers - should I bother still? Just bc the interviews were with adcom and admissions office people, their decisions aren’t until March, and I know the interviewers respond to thank you - or is it just a bad look to send them this late?

Will not change their decision now, but might look stupid to see "oh I forgot to send earlier "

Will not change their decision now, but might look stupid to see "oh I forgot to send earlier "
Ehh wouldn’t factor into decision anyways IMO if they want you they want you. Iirc only one of my interviewers (student) responded anyways. At many schools my interviewers also told me to only reach out for questions , not for thank yous. If you really want to express thanks you could write an update letter of letter interest where you thank your interviewers as well

Bc yale doesn’t release decisions until March, does that mean an update letter now or status update would be helpful and be read or have they made their decision by now soon after my interview?

@r2med @Mr.Blackdoc.5

Bc yale doesn’t release decisions until March, does that mean an update letter now or status update would be helpful and be read or have they made their decision by now soon after my interview?

@r2med @Mr.Blackdoc.5
Cant really answer this question for Yale but if its similar to Harvard, they make a decision about you immediately after interviews in subcommittees and if you are a yes, you go to the main one for review. I think if it will give you peace of mind, I would send but I wouldn't hope for it to be read.

Cant really answer this question for Yale but if its similar to Harvard, they make a decision about you immediately after interviews in subcommittees and if you are a yes, you go to the main one for review. I think if it will give you peace of mind, I would send but I wouldn't hope for it to be read.
There's another review even if you are a yes from the interview subcommittee??

There's another review even if you are a yes from the interview subcommittee??
To me, it sounded like movement to main committee is just a formality. Most people who make it to the main committee are either accepted or waitlisted; the real review is with the subcommittees

This is interesting! Never heard this before about Yale or Harvard, how do you know that's how they do it?
When I had my interview, my interviewer spoke about it a bit! I'm not too sure about Yale, but the system makes sense logically to me to account for everyone and to streamline the process. I'm not totally sure about the main review as waitlist/accepted but he mentioned the passing from subcommittees to the main committee

Last edited:
The financial aid form opens tomorrow right? Has anyone interviewed recently heard differently?

Does the director of admissions have a say in admissions bc I know we had three dif interviews - two with adcom members and one with the director of admissions. What’s the difference in terms of roles?

Does the director of admissions have a say in admissions bc I know we had three dif interviews - two with adcom members and one with the director of admissions. What’s the difference in terms of roles?
Lol I would assume her day is bigger than any of the other interviewers

I wasn’t sure bc the director of admissions interview was the shortest of the three
the short ones can sometimes be the most informative! i know the yale interview was very structured but in other interviews it speaks volumes of applicants what they say because you'd assume they are emphasizing things they really want you to hear

Sending out my acceptances of silent Rs to schools today. This goes to you,Yale, thank you and goodbye! Stay well!

• Haha
anyone know if the financial aid form opened? I don't see any changes on the financial aid website so Im a bit confused

When I interviewed, they emphasized that all three interviews would have the same weight, regardless of who you interview with. I'm not sure what roles the directors of admissions play...

Do we do all of the financial aid requirements only if we get in or do we do them as applicants post-interview as well? More talking about the non-FAFSA CSS stuff

I think they said do all of the finaid stuff so you can make sure you get a full picture when decisions come out

Anybody with earlier interviews from 2020 sent updates recently or find that to be useful prior to final decisions? Or would i send more of a letter of intent? Not sure regarding terminology

Anybody with earlier interviews from 2020 sent updates recently or find that to be useful prior to final decisions? Or would i send more of a letter of intent? Not sure regarding terminology
Not sure what the consensus is, But I sent a letter of intent but only because I don’t really have any updates (employed post grad). Not sure if it does anything but it made me feel better so 🤷‍♀️
Edit: also I think a letter of intent is stronger just because you’re saying this IS my number one program. Which is what I wanted to emphasize anyway

Not sure what the consensus is, But I sent a letter of intent but only because I don’t really have any updates (employed post grad). Not sure if it does anything but it made me feel better so 🤷‍♀️
Edit: also I think a letter of intent is stronger just because you’re saying this IS my number one program. Which is what I wanted to emphasize anyway
How long is a letter of intent supposed to be?

How long is a letter of intent supposed to be?
A paragraph or two. Definitely less than a page.

Source: pre-med adviser told me my update + continued interest letter should be less than a page total, so I'm assuming LOI should be equally as short if not shorter (since there's less to say).

Did anyone else who tried to fill out the financial aid application form have trouble? It says I am ineligible at this time?

Did anyone else who tried to fill out the financial aid application form have trouble? It says I am ineligible at this time?

Same! Sent them an email & waiting for response. It's likely bc they don't have all of us in the system yet