2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
300 characters is absurd! How can I talk about volunteer, work, and personal stuff all in that small amount lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think all they're really looking for is "I was unable to do ___ during (period of time)" and not asking for any long elaborations due to their character limit

OMG it's Sunday. I didn't know schools sent out secondaries over the weekend?!?!?!

Haha @ now having a 7 day week to worry about, rather than a 5 day week
Seriously! I had a secondary arrive at 4am Saturday morning. Don't they have better ways to spend their weekends??

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else not receive an email/receipt after submitting? I submitted over an hour ago and haven’t received any confirmation emails but my account says my application has been submitted.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else not receive an email/receipt after submitting? I submitted over an hour ago and haven’t received any confirmation emails but my account says my application has been submitted.
I never received confirmation and I submitted on 7/17

is there a way to check the status of the application anyone's aware of after submitting the secondary?

"Compassionate medicine"
"Take time with your patients"
"Listen to your patients"

300 characters.

Wow.

Payment declined- those of you who have also experienced this, were your primaries verified?

secondary received. OOS. was able to submit payment around 10 am PST

Secondary received this morning, 7/19. Their instructions say NO Skype interviews. I hope that's just copied and pasted from a previous cycle...

I also saw that and sent their admissions office an email. They confirmed that interviews will be virtual this cycle.

Received July 19th and submitted July 19th! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also saw that and sent their admissions office an email. They confirmed that interviews will be virtual this cycle.
Oh wonderful! Thanks for reporting back!

I wonder who is marking "yes" to the social media question. Respect to them

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the specific individual LOR requirements for NYMC is? I can't seem to find it anywhere? Is it the standard 2 science one non-science?
I only have one science LOR so I'm wondering if it is even worth applying here.

Anyone else having trouble sending CASPer scores to the school? New York Medical College doesn't seem to show up in the distribution list on the CASPer website.

It looks like they require one of your LOR to come from someone in your major.. I was not aware of this and I'm hoping they can make an exception for me (I have 2 science, 1 non science from my minor and 1 from a physician I worked for). I emailed them, but I doubt I'll hear back until next week.
agh where did you see that?? I didn't see anything about it on the website? maybe i'm not looking hard enough lol

agh where did you see that?? I didn't see anything about it on the website? maybe i'm not looking hard enough lol

It's in the supplemental application that they send out. If you graduated before 2018 it seems like they make exceptions. I don't know if they will, if you graduated after then though.

Does anyone know what the LOR requirement is? I can't seem to find it on the website

Has anyone been able to go back and look at their application? It isn't working for me

What does the email say? Just that it’s complete? Or is there any timeline etc?
it says complete + "At NYMC, applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee throughout the application cycle. Candidates may be invited for an interview via email anytime during our interview season which this year runs from September 2020 through March 2021. The admissions office will regularly send out status updates to all applicants on where they stand during the cycle. "

Seems strange the 300 character limit was intentional. Not forgiving whatsoever :thinking:
494ygh.jpg

I just got an email saying my app is complete. I submitted on 7/20

I submitted on 7/19 yet still no complete email :( anyone else in the same boat?

Complete email just now. Submitted 7/19.

Complete email today, submitted 7/19

I also got an email saying I need to submit a grad letter of req (I'm in an SMP), but one of my rec letters from my letter packet is from a faculty member who taught me a science course during grad school. Should I email their office or maybe my committee?

Also received the secondary on Sunday, but I'm not verified. Does it make sense to submit the secondary before being verified, since my app won't be considered "complete" until my primary gets verified? Also already took the CASPer and LoR should be done soon and I finished the secondary lol so just waiting on my primary to be verified

Try clearing your cache, using incognito mode, or a different browser. Those options worked for me.
Yeah i cosign the using a different browser option. I was using Safari and kept getting redirected to Northstate's secondary (which also uses this weird AAMC portal). Switched to chrome and now I can access each school's secondary

+1

Has anyone actual received a confirmation email?
I submitted my application 7/22, I just received a confirmation email this morning that my application is complete and has been moved on to the admissions committee. I'd give it at least a week.

I got an email just now that I was missing my UG LOR- I don't have one ready to send...I was a psych major and didn't really keep up a relationship with any of my professors -should i just give up applying to this school ?

Just got an email that my application was complete, but I'm not sure how it could be since my MCAT score doesn't come back for another few days? In their email they say that the complete application includes "AMCAS application, required letters of recommendation and application fee" - does the 'AMCAS application' part include the MCAT? I'm very confused and not sure if I should email them just to make sure something weird didn't happen with my file.

Complete today (7/31). Submitted 7/20, but primary was only verified on 7/29.

did you guys tell your letter writers to include your amcas id number on the letter? it seems like NYMC wants that based on website....

I saw a r/premed thread from a few years ago that actually asked this exact question about NYMC. Apparently as long as they receive the letter through AMCAS (like literally every other school), it will have the AMCAS ID on it. see here.

not sure why NYMC makes a bigger deal out of it than any other school though lol

I emailed them and they said it was intentional to make it only 300 characters. If you want to write more they said you could email them and it would be added to your file.

I just check back and the word "character" doesn't even appear in the entire secondary. Just "300" max for COVID essay without specifying. I wrote 285 words and submitted. No issues.

I wrote a 276 character response and it shows 276/300 under the response box. It does not say characters specifically but that appears to be what it was counting. Did they change the limit to 300 words? They might have. 300 characters felt absurdly short for anyone with more than minimal impact from COVID

I don't know if they changed it, but my word count was definitely 287 (about 1500 characters), and I could have added more, up to the 300-word count.