2021-2022 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM Clearwater)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

What’s the difference here between the two campuses? Other than location.

I am not a Nova student, but this is what I have read and heard regarding the Tampa Bay(Clearwater) and Davie campus:
- The Tampa Bay Regional campus (TBR) in Clearwater was created about 3 years ago, so they only have 3 batches of students right now. In contrast, the Davie campus in Fort Lauderdale is very established.
- The TBR campus is nicer in terms of newer facilities and aesthetic. There is also no undergraduate campus next to the TBR campus, while the Davie campus is located near the undergraduate campus.
- The Davie campus has both the D.O. and the M.D. medical programs, while the TBR campus only has the D.O. program
- The TBR campus technically does not have a cadaver lab while the Davie campus does. However, this may not matter much since a Nova student from the Davie campus mentioned on SDN last year that: "Regarding cadaver labs, we don’t have them... period. The anatomy lab exists (at davie) but we aren’t allowed in."
- In terms of clinical rotations, the majority of sites posted on the medical school website seem to be located closer to the Davie campus than the Clearwater campus.
-In terms of curriculum, both campuses are the same. From what I read, you can be "streamed" into the other campuses' labs and after that, you will work with your own group in your own campus to practice and learn the information hands-on.
Thank you for that info! Unfortunate about the cadaver labs though.

Edit: I’m confused as to how DO students are properly equipped as physicians without cadavers?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for that info! Unfortunate about the cadaver labs though.

Edit: I’m confused as to how DO students are properly equipped as physicians without cadavers?
You can still have a strong medical school education without cadavers. Diagnostic imaging is very important in many circumstances, and some medical students argue that cadavers isn't even that representative of living tissue. There are also many MD and DO schools that prioritize virtual reality/simulations over cadaver labs (Kaiser SOM, CHSU COM, Nova, etc).

Here is a thread that discussed the topic of cadavers and medical schools. There is an article linked in the thread discussing the limitations of cadavers as well: Medical schools that do NOT have cadavers?

Reactions: 1 user
You can still have a strong medical school education without cadavers. Diagnostic imaging is very important in many circumstances, and some medical students argue that cadavers isn't even that representative of living tissue. There are also many MD and DO schools that prioritize virtual reality/simulations over cadaver labs (Kaiser SOM, CHSU COM, Nova, etc).

Here is a thread that discussed the topic of cadavers and medical schools. There is an article linked in the thread discussing the limitations of cadavers as well: Medical schools that do NOT have cadavers?
Much appreciated - I didn’t even think about diagnostic imaging and that’s something I’m interested in doing lol

Hey guys, anyone know when supplemental applications start going out?

I just got an email that an NSU account was made under my email address, It looks like they are preparing the secondary application!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! Same secondaries as last year, except the characters are 1000 now

Last edited:
Secondary received! Same secondaries as last year, except the characters are 1000 now
Where do you see that because I just filled it out and I do not see the 100 characters anywhere I am really hoping I did not fill out the wrong thing.

Also, do we have to send them our transcripts as well or is the verified AACOMAS application enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions

How did you learn about osteopathic medicine (1000 characters)
List health-care related volunteer activities (2000 characters)
List employment you've had during the school year and excluding summers (2000 characters)

I got an email and made my account. Did you guys do the application on Nova's site and then received your secondary?
Yeah on the website when you make an account it'll direct you to the secondary app

What should you do if you dont have any healthcare volunteer hours only non-clinical volunteer hours and paid clinical work?

In the secondary, did you guys only have the option to select Fort Lauderlade? Mine is not showing the Clearwater campus

When did you guys submit? I still haven't gotten the secondary and I was verified 06/02.

When did you guys submit? I still haven't gotten the secondary and I was verified 06/02.
I haven't got one yet either. I'm sure we will get it tomorrow or sometime this week!

Verified 6/15, received today.

For the "how did you hear about osteopathic medicine prompt", am I overthinking this, or is it kind of saying WHY osteopathic medicine?

Verified 6/15, received today.

For the "how did you hear about osteopathic medicine prompt", am I overthinking this, or is it kind of saying WHY osteopathic medicine?
I responded quite literally and wrote about how I was exposed to the field instead of WHY osteo medicine.

Secondary submitted on 6/15. Received a call today letting me know my application was complete. Really nice people, seriously!

Secondary submitted on 6/15. Received a call today letting me know my application was complete. Really nice people, seriously!
Hi I received the same call! I was wondering if your student profile still says "required; not received" for your transcripts from your school and if that is normal?

Hi I received the same call! I was wondering if your student profile still says "required; not received" for your transcripts from your school and if that is normal?
Pretty sure it's normal. I think I read somewhere that you gotta give em two weeks or so to receive & process AACOMAS materials fully. I'm in the same boat over here, but if there are still issues in 2 weeks then I'll give them a call!

Reactions: 2 users
Questions

List employment you've had during the school year and excluding summers (2000 characters)
what's the point of q2 and q3? didn't we list those things in the primary app?

what's the point of q2 and q3? didn't we list those things in the primary app?

In my primary app I focused on what I learned / gained from experiences.

In this part I just wrote a short description of my main responsibilities in resume format. Basically just used -ing words to list all those responsibilities

In my primary app I focused on what I learned / gained from experiences.

In this part I just wrote a short description of my main responsibilities in resume format. Basically just used -ing words to list all those responsibilities
So for those questions, we list the activities and sort of following this general format, if I am not mistaken?

(Job Title) Date-Date [Hours]
Description:

Also, can we classify shadowing for part b as the clinical volunteering experience? Most of my clinical experiences was paid scribe work so that would for sure be part of question c/part 3

So for those questions, we list the activities and sort of following this general format, if I am not mistaken?

(Job Title) Date-Date [Hours]
Description:

Also, can we classify shadowing for part b as the clinical volunteering experience? Most of my clinical experiences was paid scribe work so that would for sure be part of question c/part 3

That’s how I formatted mine pretty much

As for shadowing I’m not sure. You could put it down but I think they’re asking for volunteering specifically.

Questions

If it says list, do people literally "list" their experiences or are the implying that you should write about those experiences in a meaningful way? If the former, I am wondering how that differs from simply listing them on the primary application.

If it says list, do people literally "list" their experiences or are the implying that you should write about those experiences in a meaningful way? If the former, I am wondering how that differs from simply listing them on the primary application.

I think we should be listing here, they used the word list in both question suggesting that’s the format they are looking for.

I guess they wanted a simplified version of the primary, more organized as needed.

How long is it taking people here typically between being verified for the school and getting the secondary? Verified yesterday, just wondering around when the secondary comes (I know it can be variable, maybe just a range)
my prehealth advisor said that some people receive secondaries before getting verified. Not sure how accurate that is tho. for me I was verified on 06/05 got the secondaries for Nova on the 15th

Yo if you haven't gotten it yet check your other folders, my secondary was neither notified to me or in my primary mailbox. I just got lucky by randomly searching NOVA in my inbox. Also, I know it says list, but I wrote everything in essay format utilizing all characters. IDK, personally I like reading it like that better

How long is it taking people here typically between being verified for the school and getting the secondary? Verified yesterday, just wondering around when the secondary comes (I know it can be variable, maybe just a range)
AACOMAS Verified 5/21 — received secondary 6/15

After submitting secondary, does the portal show 'Not Received for all of your AACOMAS materials like MCAT, transcript, etc.?

After submitting secondary, does the portal show 'Not Received for all of your AACOMAS materials like MCAT, transcript, etc.?

Yes, after a couple days they will look at it and give you a call to tell you if they have everything or not. Once they do that it will be accurately shown on the portal.

So did anyone use parchment to send their college transcript to nova? If so, did it say received in NOVA's secondary portal? I haven't submitted my secondary yet but sent my transcript over a week ago but still no update that they received it on the portal.

So did anyone use parchment to send their college transcript to nova? If so, did it say received in NOVA's secondary portal? I haven't submitted my secondary yet but sent my transcript over a week ago but still no update that they received it on the portal.
I submitted my secondary and it says everything is complete but it still says my transcripts haven’t been received either.

I submitted (and was verified) on 6/15 but I haven't received a secondary yet. My MCAT wasn't sent to AACOMAS until 6/17, so maybe that's why? My GPAs and MCATs are around their averages, so I don't think I would've been screened out.

Should I hang tight for a little while longer, or would it be ok to reach out to them? I searched my email and didn't see a secondary in my spam or anything. It just seems like people are receiving secondaries on the day they submitted, and that was a week ago for me.

UPDATE: I received the secondary on 6/23. So if it takes a little while to receive it, don't freak out and search the same words in your email a million times, like me :)

Last edited:
NOVA will pull them from your AACOMAS, I do not think we need to send anything directly to NOVA themselves.

Does your secondary show your transcripts were received? NOVA marked everything complete & called me 6/22 telling me everything is complete. I do not show transcripts as received, but overall the app shows complete status. Calling does not hurt though.

Does anyone know if there have been applicants in previous cycles who have gotten admission with an MCAT below a 500?

Does NOVA start looking at applications without letters of recommendation in your app? Or mark your app as complete without LOR?