2022-2023 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the priority waitlist... honestly love how transparent this school is
I agree - I’m interviewing on Wednesday but I so appreciate the options of R, high / medium / low priority WL instead of just R or WL. Does the “priority” WL mean high?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What's the word on federal loans at ICOM starting in the fall?
So I was under the impression that any for-profit institution is not eligible for federal aid/loans. Can anyone confirm whether this is actually the case or if it's not a matter of ineligibility, but rather just it being more difficult to obtain? Also, would anyone have any info on how interest rates compare between private and federal loans? Is it a huge difference?

So I was under the impression that any for-profit institution is not eligible for federal aid/loans. Can anyone confirm whether this is actually the case or if it's not a matter of ineligibility, but rather just it being more difficult to obtain? Also, would anyone have any info on how interest rates compare between private and federal loans? Is it a huge difference?
This is incorrect. For profit schools are eligible for federal aid after they graduate their first class and receive accreditation

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on being able to secure clinical rotations locally as opposed to having to go out of state. I know other schools guarantee students who have school aged children or own property to remain in the area for clinical rotations and I was wondering if ICOM has a similar policy.

Can any current students comment on being able to secure clinical rotations locally as opposed to having to go out of state. I know other schools guarantee students who have school aged children or own property to remain in the area for clinical rotations and I was wondering if ICOM has a similar policy.
At ICOM, you won't get any preference for a rotation site based on owning property or having a spouse/kids, you'll be in lottery with everyone else. There is a hardship process for people that graduated high school in a certain state, or have serious ongoing medical issues, but that's about it.

Reactions: 1 users

The majority of the rotation sites are in Idaho, predominately Boise and Eastern Idaho. I think roughly 50-60% of the class stays there, at least when I went through all that a long time ago. However, there is hardship allowances for medical issues, homeowning / children going to school in the area... That generally helps you stay more local. The vast majority of people get what rotation site they want, or at least their top choices. (Obviously some do not too).

The majority of the rotation sites are in Idaho, predominately Boise and Eastern Idaho. I think roughly 50-60% of the class stays there, at least when I went through all that a long time ago. However, there is hardship allowances for medical issues, homeowning / children going to school in the area... That generally helps you stay more local. The vast majority of people get what rotation site they want, or at least their top choices. (Obviously some do not too).
They don’t do hardships for home owning or children/spouses. They told us that in a clinical placement meeting last semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone had a recent interview to this school/anyone know if they are they still sending out interviews? I saw earlier in the thread that at this point its for a waitlist spot but I'm still interested and wondering if I have a chance.

They don’t do hardships for home owning or children/spouses. They told us that in a clinical placement meeting last semester.
Ah okay. They had that back in my year. I'm just finishing the last few days of my fourth year. Children in schools were a slight exception (for some allowances) in general. So that's a bit more new. :)

Has anyone had a recent interview to this school/anyone know if they are they still sending out interviews? I saw earlier in the thread that at this point its for a waitlist spot but I'm still interested and wondering if I have a chance.
I just had my interview on Tuesday 3/28. It was for a waitlist position.

I noticed that only five people from ICOM matched to residencies in the Boise area this year. Is this due to the fact that there just aren't that many residency spots in Boise or are the residency programs in Boise not DO friendly?

I noticed that only five people from ICOM matched to residencies in the Boise area this year. Is this due to the fact that there just aren't that many residency spots in Boise or are the residency programs in Boise not DO friendly?
Boise is a pretty small area, so I thought 5 is actually pretty good. The only residencies in Boise is one family med program and a brand new peds program, plus an IM and psych residency that are branches of University of Washington. All of them have taken at least one ICOM grad in the past couple of years.

Accepted back in October and just waiting one one other school at this point! :) quick question while I'm here, any updates on federal funding for the Fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted back in October and just waiting one one other school at this point! :) quick question while I'm here, any updates on federal funding for the Fall?
Had an interview today 4/12 and there's no update for federal funding as of yet

Interviewed 4/12 and placed on highest tier on waitlist

Interviewed 4/12, waitlisted at highest tier 4/21, and just got the A today 4/28!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 4/12, waitlisted at highest tier 4/21, and just got the A today 4/28!
Congratz!

This makes me curious how the tier waitlists work if you were pulled off the highest tier waitlist that quick. Maybe this also has a kind of “ranking”.

For those who interviewed on 4/24, has anyone heard from them about a decision? They mentioned we would hear something by now

For those who interviewed on 4/24, has anyone heard from them about a decision? They mentioned we would hear something by now
They usually send out decisions on Fridays so I’d wait until then.

Congratz!

This makes me curious how the tier waitlists work if you were pulled off the highest tier waitlist that quick. Maybe this also has a kind of “ranking”.

Waitlist movement increases substantially in mid-April, compared to even mid-March, at all schools, as financial aid info packages are released and traffic/commit to enroll deadlines are happening.

Accepted pending seat! Got the email earlier today. Imterviwed on 4/26

Waitlist movement increases substantially in mid-April, compared to even mid-March, at all schools, as financial aid info packages are released and traffic/commit to enroll deadlines are happening.
important to keep in mind, WL's actually go up to the first day of classes. it's not as uncommon as one may think!

Does anyone know when Orientation and White Cost ceremony is? I'm not able to find this anywhere on their website.

Calendar - Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine click on 2023-2024 academic year or pre-clinical years. The latter will also show you how the course block are set up throughout the semester.
Thank you so much! This helps out a lot with trying to plan.
In past years has everyone that's had an ATS gotten in the same year? Or do you guys know if anyone had to wait a year?

Thank you so much! This helps out a lot with trying to plan.
In past years has everyone that's had an ATS gotten in the same year? Or do you guys know if anyone had to wait a year?
ATS?

Accepted Pending Seat. Sorry my phone must have autocorrected.

I don't even remember anyone in the past 2 years listing this as their status even though the admissions office did mention something similar to it when I interviewed.

I don't even remember anyone in the past 2 years listing this as their status even though the admissions office did mention something similar to it when I interviewed.
My admission email said I was accepted pending a seat in the class. It says they anticipate me to join this year but if forwhatever reason a seat for 2027 doesn't open up I'm guaranteed a spot for 2028. Just didn't know if anyone has had to wait the full year.

My admission email said I was accepted pending a seat in the class. It says they anticipate me to join this year but if forwhatever reason a seat for 2027 doesn't open up I'm guaranteed a spot for 2028. Just didn't know if anyone has had to wait the full year.
yeah i have a similar concern. i interviewed 2 days before you. i hope i heard correctly that they said no one's waited the full year. hopefully we'll be seeing each other on campus!

yeah i have a similar concern. i interviewed 2 days before you. i hope i heard correctly that they said no one's waited the full year. hopefully we'll be seeing each other on campus!
For what it's worth, we've always gotten to at least the second tier on the waitlist, and Accepted Pending Seat presumably puts you just above the WL in general.

I interviewed back in December and was placed on the waitlist but it says nothing about tiers or APS. Anyone else in the same boat? I’m wondering if this is a soft rejection

Hi! Was also in the same boat. I was off the list after a week though

For what it's worth, we've always gotten to at least the second tier on the waitlist, and Accepted Pending Seat presumably puts you just above the WL in general.
yup, the email says top-priority waitlist, so i'm hoping to hear some good news before June. Expecting to hear from my top choice (not ICOM although after a 10/10 interview experience, i'm rethinking) in June though because that's how they be.

yup, the email says top-priority waitlist, so i'm hoping to hear some good news before June. Expecting to hear from my top choice (not ICOM although after a 10/10 interview experience, i'm rethinking) in June though because that's how they be.
Yeah, I am also in this position. The email states that “we voted to offer you a seat in our Class of 2027, however we do not have seats available at this time. You are being placed in the highest tier of our waitlist and will be a priority as seats become available”

Does this mean it is an accepted pending seat or am I just on the high priority waitlist?

Thank you. However my questions was more so leading to (respectfully) how somebody placed on the high tier waitlist in April, got pulled off before those placed on it in previous months.

Maybe there is another form of ranking among those in the high-tier/ accepted pending seat positions.

Yeah, I am also in this position. The email states that “we voted to offer you a seat in our Class of 2027, however we do not have seats available at this time. You are being placed in the highest tier of our waitlist and will be a priority as seats become available”

Does this mean it is an accepted pending seat or am I just on the high priority waitlist?
i assume accepted pending seat? does your email also say you are automatically admitted to 2028 if they can't offer you a seat now? mine does which is why i have very high hopes of getting in

Accepted Pending Seat isn't mentioned anywhere in the letter. It just means that you've been accepted and that once a seat opens up people with this status are given priority over those on the normal waitlist. If you have this status and you aren't offered a seat they will accept you for 2028 without needing to reapply.
Icom also gives you a ranking in their waitlist. So they have high, medium and low. So, depending on where you sit is how they will pull from the list.

i assume accepted pending seat? does your email also say you are automatically admitted to 2028 if they can't offer you a seat now? mine does which is why i have very high hopes of getting in
yep, thats what mine says. I received it in Feb

Thank you. However my questions was more so leading to (respectfully) how somebody placed on the high tier waitlist in April, got pulled off before those placed on it in previous months.

Maybe there is another form of ranking among those in the high-tier/ accepted pending seat positions.
Was the person that you think was pulled off the waitlist earlier from the 5 state region and/or do they have significant ties (Boise State student, that kind of thing)?

That might be a factor that supersedes the list, but I don’t know for sure.

Was the person that you think was pulled off the waitlist earlier from the 5 state region and/or do they have significant ties (Boise State student, that kind of thing)?

That might be a factor that supersedes the list, but I don’t know for sure.
Must have been. That’s what I’ve been thinking.

Same situation as the comments above - highest tier waitlist and have yet to hear back. Applied late this cycle and am on several waitists. Definitely nail-biting next few weeks.
Is it worth submitting for next cycle just in case I don't get off any lists? Is anyone else contemplating this? Best of luck to all of you and congrats to those of you off the list!!!

Same situation as the comments above - highest tier waitlist and have yet to hear back. Applied late this cycle and am on several waitists. Definitely nail-biting next few weeks.
Is it worth submitting for next cycle just in case I don't get off any lists? Is anyone else contemplating this? Best of luck to all of you and congrats to those of you off the list!!!
I haven't decided if I'll reapply or not. If I do it will only be to 1 or 2 schools. I think there's a good chance we'll be pulled from the waitlist this year. I'm anticipating we'll hear something in the upcoming weeks or at least I'm hoping.... I'm sick of all the waiting.

• Care
Those on the high tier waitlist have an excellent chance of getting accepted here in the next few weeks. They’ve pulled students off up to the start of classes. There’s still plenty of time. Previous years have gone up to the middle tier so I wouldn’t worry too much if your in high. There is still no word on our ability to apply for federal aid yet so that may sway students to go for other acceptances. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! Hope to see you all on campus soon.