Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everyone, anyone find anything out about the financial aide?
So I spoke with the lady that's over the FA for the school. They are currently working on getting FA but she said that we should consider private, gradplus loans, and military repayment. I believe a person from the army will be speaking that the interview if I understood her correctly. I got the feeling that the FA will be a problem but she was trying not to freak me out. She was sweet. I think Ima go to the interview but honestly this may be my backup if all the other interviews fall through and I don't get in anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I spoke with the lady that's over the FA for the school. They are currently working on getting FA but she said that we should consider private, gradplus loans, and military repayment. I believe a person from the army will be speaking that the interview if I understood her correctly. I got the feeling that the FA will be a problem but she was trying not to freak me out. She was sweet. I think Ima go to the interview but honestly this may be my backup if all the other interviews fall through and I don't get in anywhere else.
Same here, that is going to be the case for a lot of the applicant pool I would venture to say

I'm interviewing on Monday. Anyone else? Any advice?

Background: non-trad, 34, Accountant in current career, low grades early in college, almost all A's last 60 hrs.
Stats: 3.2 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 513 MCAT
Applied: 25+ schools
DO II: ARCOM, BCOM
MD II: UTRGV

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Background: non-trad, 34, Accountant in current career, low grades early in college, almost all A's last 60 hrs.

Thanks!
Lol ur just like me!
Non traditional, 32yo, II at the same schools you listed. Also interviewing Monday.

Thanks!

I'm interviewing at the same schools as you as well :)

interviewing on Monday as well, excited but kinda sketched out because we have no idea what to expect! has anyone interviewed yet or are we the very first batch?? thanks

We are
interviewing on Monday as well, excited but kinda sketched out because we have no idea what to expect! has anyone interviewed yet or are we the very first batch?? thanks
We are the second batch I believe. I spoke with the lady on the phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that is a quick turnaround for II! I submitted my secondary 9/6, do y'all should I email them for an update? (LizzyM 61)
Nope. I would wait. I noticed when I panicked and thought of calling, I got an interview a few days later. I stopped worrying now and just wait for the IIs to come flowing in...

Finished interviewing today. Definitely laid back. The faculty is EXTREMELY excited for the students and school. They seemed to have the rotation sites essentially secured since both Mercy and Sparks is in the area and in full support of the school. Best thing I can recommend is just be yourself!

Finished interviewing today. Definitely laid back. The faculty is EXTREMELY excited for the students and school. They seemed to have the rotation sites essentially secured since both Mercy and Sparks is in the area and in full support of the school. Best thing I can recommend is just be yourself!
Awesome! I'll be there Monday! Excited!!

I heard they were expecting to be eligible for federal loans by next fall. Did you hear anything about that?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Awesome! I'll be there Monday! Excited!!

I heard they were expecting to be eligible for federal loans by next fall. Did you hear anything about that?

Thanks!

Yeah the financial aid lady said they should be good to go with federal loans by around February.

Now the question is: how do I pay for flights and hotel there? I'm from CA you guys. Not to complain, I am blessed with IIs, but this cycle is draining $$ out of my already-empty pocket!

Now the question is: how do I pay for flights and hotel there? I'm from CA you guys. Not to complain, I am blessed with IIs, but this cycle is draining $$ out of my already-empty pocket!
Yes me too!

Yeah the financial aid lady said they should be good to go with federal loans by around February.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Hell yes! They fell to the bottom of my list since I thought I couldn't afford to go. Man I NEED those loans. I'm broke.

Secon
Second job. That's wat I did. I'm not dropping any interviews until I have an acceptance.

Interviewing here Monday. Just to be clear, the interviews are traditional (non-MMI) right?

Can we bring guests the interview day? My dad is traveling with me and I need to know if he is staying in the hotel or not :/

Good luck to those interviewing today. Please let us know any information you gather!

Can we bring guests the interview day? My dad is traveling with me and I need to know if he is staying in the hotel or not :/
What would you think if you were interviewing someone and they brought their dad?

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome school! and the nicest faculty ever. The facility is absolutely incredible. I would recommend really knowing your "what got you interested in med", osteopathic tenets, ethical questions, but overall the interview is very conversational (2 on 1) and laid back. Just do you and you will be suavey

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome school! and the nicest faculty ever. The facility is absolutely incredible. I would recommend really knowing your "what got you interested in med", osteopathic tenets, ethical questions, but overall the interview is very conversational (2 on 1) and laid back. Just do you and you will be suavey
Agreed, wonderful faculty and facility (wow!).

Now we wait and cross our fingers!

Can anyone comment on what time the interview process was over?

Has anyone gotten an acceptance from ARCOM yet? Or, are they still evaluating the first few pools of students interviewed?

Has anyone gotten an acceptance from ARCOM yet? Or, are they still evaluating the first few pools of students interviewed?

They only interviewed the first group last Friday I believe. The committee reviews the applicants every other Thursday.

Just got an II earlier! Submitted secondary on 9/5.. quicker turnaround than expected! Be there 10/14 :)

Just got an II earlier! Submitted secondary on 9/5.. quicker turnaround than expected! Be there 10/14 :)
Congrats. Ur going to love the interview. Tips: it'll be about 10-12 of u guys. 2 on 1 interview, conversational. Tour and lunch. Pm me for specifics.

It will be a pleasant experience! Don't stress, be a human being, socialize, and they will love you!
The whole time I just felt like they wanted to see how we interact with others and them, that's why such small groups. Honestly think of it as a 5 hour long meet and greet

Anyone else griping their phones like it's gonna ring today "Welcome to ARCOM's first inaugural class!"

Even though we know they aren't meeting until this or next thursday..

I had the same problem with the mcat. I was checking the very next day in case there was some new technology that allowed instantaneous grading.

Maybe I should see a psychiatrist.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else griping their phones like it's gonna ring today "Welcome to ARCOM's first inaugural class!"

Even though we know they aren't meeting until this or next thursday..

I had the same problem with the mcat. I was checking the very next day in case there was some new technology that allowed instantaneous grading.

Maybe I should see a psychiatrist.

I'm worried about the deposit :(

I'm worried about the deposit :(
Yes, this part is what drives premeds crazy.. even when everything in the application process is going smoothly we all stay awake at night wondering how we can make it work with loans that won't come in until after the semester starts.

Have faith my friend. You are not alone.

Reach out to your local church, scholarship funds, friends, family, etc.

Yes, this part is what drives premeds crazy.. even when everything in the application process is going smoothly we all stay awake at night wondering how we can make it work with loans that won't come in until after the semester starts.

Have faith my friend. You are not alone.

Reach out to your local church, scholarship funds, friends, family, etc.

For sure. I think they give us 30 days post acceptance to pay? Is that correct? Ima save up now lol

For sure. I think they give us 30 days post acceptance to pay? Is that correct? Ima save up now lol
I think we get until Nov 15 or Dec 15. Sell everything you have it that's what it takes! Lol. It'll be worth it.

I still remember that time I had to sell my new TV for dirt cheep to pay a student loan payment from grad school. Haha

If you're accepted prior to 11/15, you have until 12/15 to make the first deposit. I believe you then have 30 days to make the second deposit.

Would you all consider attending here if accepted? Just curious because I have a couple concerns about the school. I loved the people and the facility but I feel like the financial aid is kinda shaky and they won't know for sure until February....

I think the FA is going to be on point. Nothing that I've been able to dig up gives any indication that they won't be approved for federal loans. If I get accepted, I'm in. Everything just felt right for me.

Would you all consider attending here if accepted? Just curious because I have a couple concerns about the school. I loved the people and the facility but I feel like the financial aid is kinda shaky and they won't know for sure until February....
Yes, I would. The benefits for me outweigh the concerns. Plus, I would say there is a 95% chance they will have no issue getting title iv eligibility.

No one is going to let that school drop off the map. The need is high and the support is more than sufficient from where I stand.

As for the benefits that outweigh the concern.. The TBL approach is the way to go, imho. The area is very affordable. Job security in that area will be high, post residency. I actually want to live in a rural area so that fits perfect with my long te plans.

So, it depends on the benefits to you in particular.

I think the FA is going to be on point. Nothing that I've been able to dig up gives any indication that they won't be approved for federal loans. If I get accepted, I'm in. Everything just felt right for me.
Agreed. Me too. Something about that school felt really good. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed, yet intimidating (in a good way). The people running this school are obviously superstars in the business of running med schools (e.g. the 100k sqft monster of a building).