Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewing late january...i guess its the last straw when you are interviewing that late right?

i would try and request a earlier date but i don't think i can afford to change my travel plans im OOS

is this pretty much one of the top DO schools? its been around for a long time, well established and i have heard only good things about it!

my only concern about this whole thing is the residency issue in the future. Im not sure what i want to practice but i dont want to have my options cut short because i am DO.

i havent dont enough research on my own to know how much of a issue it may be...

on a side note, do many of the students at this school take usmle step 1 also?

does the school have a prematricualtion type studies program? i browsed the site and didnt see anything?

also its a panel interview with about 4-5 people? anyone know how long it is?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
interviewing late january...i guess its the last straw when you are interviewing that late right?

i would try and request a earlier date but i don't think i can afford to change my travel plans im OOS

is this pretty much one of the top DO schools? its been around for a long time, well established and i have heard only good things about it!

my only concern about this whole thing is the residency issue in the future. Im not sure what i want to practice but i dont want to have my options cut short because i am DO.

i havent dont enough research on my own to know how much of a issue it may be...

on a side note, do many of the students at this school take usmle step 1 also?

does the school have a prematricualtion type studies program? i browsed the site and didnt see anything?

also its a panel interview with about 4-5 people? anyone know how long it is?
It's a panel of three interviewers and the interview lasts 30 minutes.

I'd recommend that you do some research before your interview. It's somewhat troubling that you aren't sure what your future practice options are as a DO. You'll want to have a very firm understanding of WHY you want to be a DO for the interview and be able to discuss

It's a panel of three interviewers and the interview lasts 30 minutes.

I'd recommend that you do some research before your interview. It's somewhat troubling that you aren't sure what your future practice options are as a DO. You'll want to have a very firm understanding of WHY you want to be a DO for the interview and be able to discuss

i know they have full practice right in all states and pretty much the world....
but that doesn't mean its equal access when it comes down to residencies? Arnt there some that don't even allow DO's to apply? Or basically they don't say they dont take DO's but really they have not accepted a accepted a DO resident in 20 years or something...

Members don't see this ad :)
i know they have full practice right in all states and pretty much the world....
but that doesn't mean its equal access when it comes down to residencies? Arnt there some that don't even allow DO's to apply? Or basically they don't say they dont take DO's but really they have not accepted a accepted a DO resident in 20 years or something...

Yeah you have quite a bit of research needed to be done on this issue before your interview..and before you invest massive amounts in schooling. There isn't equal access to all programs, some as you say, will not accept a DO, as Northwestern, and thats the end of that, but that is only a very very small portion of them. Trying not to start an argument...DO or MD, same thing in the end.

Just contacted them today and was able to move my interview date back from 1/9 to 12/12! I can't wait to see the school!

Interview openings are available 12/12, 12/13, and 12/16. Call their office today to request your interview be moved up!

Just moved my interview to 12/12! Sounds like they have more openings too. This week and next Monday are your last chances to interview in December!!

Interview openings are available 12/12, 12/13, and 12/16. Call their office today to request your interview be moved up!

Oh man, the only dates available when I scheduled were January; I wish I could afford to move it up that early!

When I signed up the first available date was Jan. 31st, but is it a bad idea to wait that long if earlier spots have opened up? I just don't want to interview too late and have the class already be full or something

When I signed up the first available date was Jan. 31st, but is it a bad idea to wait that long if earlier spots have opened up? I just don't want to interview too late and have the class already be full or something

Just contact then and see if there are any open spots. They are very accommodating! I was able to move mine up an entire month

Are you going to put a deposit down at KCUMB? If so, when is it due? If you really liked KCUMB I'd try and get an interview before the deposit is due. That way if you like KCUMB more than DMU their decision doesn't matter and you don't pay two deposits.

Hey guys,

First, congrats on all y'alls interviews/acceptances. I'm currently a DO student at DMU and can answer questions for you guys. I used to be REALLY active before medschool, then not so much afterward (it was a nice break, haha). Anyway, feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer. You can also PM me. I'll try to be as active as I can. Thanks, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
anyone who interviewed 11/22 (or anytime that week) hear back yet? I feel like I recall Kyle saying we would hear the week after Thanksgiving, so now I'm feeling super antsy. I have heard the committee meets Wednesdays(?), so maybe tomorrow or Thurs we could be getting news? Blargh the waiting game is no fun!

I actually sent my KCUMB deposit check yesterday, which is due on the 19th I think. There wasn't a way for me to interview before that, so its ok.

Ah right on. Hope to see you at KCUMB ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone who interviewed 11/22 (or anytime that week) hear back yet? I feel like I recall Kyle saying we would hear the week after Thanksgiving, so now I'm feeling super antsy. I have heard the committee meets Wednesdays(?), so maybe tomorrow or Thurs we could be getting news? Blargh the waiting game is no fun!
I interviewed on the 22nd as well and I also haven't heard. I remember Kyle saying that too, but I guess the holidays slowed things down...

Interviewed the 22nd as well and sent an email to Kyle this morning to check on my status since I need to make decisions about other schools. Promptly got a generic rejection email from the admissions office about 10 minutes later. So, at least I know! It's a bit of a surprise (figured I would at least be waitlisted) but maybe it's for the best. DMU seems to have great facilities and happy students but I felt my interview was just so-so in comparison to my interview at KCUMB. I walked out of that one feeling like, ah, I want to go here!

Isn't it funny how the tone of an interview can set your opinion of a school even though it's probably not reflective of what your experience will be once enrolled as a med student?

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Interviewed the 22nd as well and sent an email to Kyle this morning to check on my status since I need to make decisions about other schools. Promptly got a generic rejection email from the admissions office about 10 minutes later. So, at least I know! It's a bit of a surprise (figured I would at least be waitlisted) but maybe it's for the best. DMU seems to have great facilities and happy students but I felt my interview was just so-so in comparison to my interview at KCUMB. I walked out of that one feeling like, ah, I want to go here!

Isn't it funny how the tone of an interview can set your opinion of a school even though it's probably not reflective of what your experience will be once enrolled as a med student?

Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Funny enough, I got a rejection email this morning as well. I thought I might be at least waitlisted too! I loved this school and wanted to go here, but I had the same feeling about my interview also...guess I'm going to Campbell now! Good luck to all of those still waiting!

Updated post, sorry.

Last edited:
I was waitlisted this morning and my wife was accepted, talk about strain. We interviewed the 6th. Our deposits are for kcumb here soon and the gamble for dmu is enticing.

I was waitlisted this morning and my wife was accepted, talk about strain. We interviewed the 6th. Our deposits are for kcumb here soon and the gamble for dmu is enticing.

Ouch that's rough. 8/

I'm assuming you both liked DMU more?

Ouch that's rough. 8/

I'm assuming you both liked DMU more?

Yea, the attendance policy is kinda big and the surgical skills lab. I guess I will continue shadowing and getting clinical experience to get off the wait list. Its going to be rough hah.

Yea, the attendance policy is kinda big and the surgical skills lab. I guess I will continue shadowing and getting clinical experience to get off the wait list. Its going to be rough hah.

Best of luck! Probably wouldn't hurt to include the bit about your wife in a future letter of intent ;)

Have your wife call them. If she makes it clear that you being able to attend with her is going to be a big factor in whether or not she attends they may accept you to get her.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! The good thing is that deposits are due in a few days and I suspect there may be some wait list movement soon.

Thanks everyone. I really hope there is movement although from the email it sounds like nothing happens til may. This cycle continues to empty our pockets. Hah

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! The good thing is that deposits are due in a few days and I suspect there may be some wait list movement soon.

Blessed to have been accepted to DMU today. I interviewed on the 6th with an incredible and very pleasant quick turnaround. I loved everything about the school and tour day, so much that I'm even considering DMU with the MD school of of state residence. I'm sure people will think I'm crazy!

Blessed to have been accepted to DMU today. I interviewed on the 6th with an incredible and very pleasant quick turnaround. I loved everything about the school and tour day, so much that I'm even considering DMU with the MD school of of state residence. I'm sure people will think I'm crazy!

I don't think you're crazy. I might've chosen my state MD school for practical or financial reasons had they accepted me, but I definitely got more of a warm and fuzzy from DMU than state school and I don't believe I'd have been as happy at my state school. I encourage you to consider all factors and head the direction that best suits you. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Got the On hold email. Anyone have input on how many actually get interviews after being put on hold?

I am withdrawing my acceptance to this pretty awesome school...I really hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck!

Do you guys know when the class gets filled? I might have to move my interview from 1/10 to the end of Jan or even Feb but I'm not sure if thats going to dramatically affect my chances

Do you guys know when the class gets filled? I might have to move my interview from 1/10 to the end of Jan or even Feb but I'm not sure if thats going to dramatically affect my chances

I just interviewed today and they mentioned that there have been acceptances for about half of the class but there hasn't been a deposit deadline yet so it could change soon.

I was very fortunate to have been accepted to this amazing school, however I will be turning it down to attend OU-HCOM. I hope my spot can go to one of you! Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if the deposit is $500 or $1000? In my acceptance e-mail it says $500 and in the written letter it says $1000. Then, when I go to the online deposit site, it gives me the option of either paying $500 or $1000. I'm soooooo confused!

500 now and 500 later

Would you know how much later by any chance?

according to the conditions of enrollment, i believe the second $500 is due May 1st. Due date for the first half depends on when you were accepted.

Hi all, I just received an interview invite with a 3.65/29 and over 8 years of both employment and volunteer work in free community clinics. I scheduled my interview for January 23rd. Is anybody else signed up for that day? Can anybody talk to me about the interview process? I hear it is a 3 person panel. What are the questions like?

Hi all, I just received an interview invite with a 3.65/29 and over 8 years of both employment and volunteer work in free community clinics. I scheduled my interview for January 23rd. Is anybody else signed up for that day? Can anybody talk to me about the interview process? I hear it is a 3 person panel. What are the questions like?

They ask the generic questions you would expect from an interview. Why DO? Why Medicine? Why DMU? But they also ask a lot of questions related to your application and specific experiences, what you learned from them, how you would handle situations differently. Things like that. It's usually a 3 person panel unless there is a class conflict for the student.

Is the mentored research program for incoming first years too?

Is the mentored research program for incoming first years too?
Yes; however, you must get in touch with one of the DMU mentors in order to start the discussion on what your research will be on and you must submit that proposal to the committee.

ACCEPTED just now via email!
II 11/25
Interviewed 12/12
IS 3.2GPA 36MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today! Words cannot express how happy I am :)

Reactions: 3 users
congratulations to everyone with acceptances, and good luck to all others waiting for an interview. after careful thinking, i have decided to decline my acceptance. i hope one of you gets it tomorrow, or soon. good luck and happy holidays. :)

So I would greatly appreciate some insight into the interview process at DMU!

I have signed up for the Jan 9th interview date, and am curious as to what type of questions they ask/what interviewers focus on during the interview. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

And are there any other people interviewing on this date? Would be cool to get in touch already and explore the city/school together if anyone is interested!

So I would greatly appreciate some insight into the interview process at DMU!

I have signed up for the Jan 9th interview date, and am curious as to what type of questions they ask/what interviewers focus on during the interview. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

And are there any other people interviewing on this date? Would be cool to get in touch already and explore the city/school together if anyone is interested!

--

The actual interview is approximately 30 minutes long at the end of the day. Mine was with 2 faculty members (one a physician and one a PhD) as well as one second year student doctor.

They each go around one by one asking you questions mostly about your application, personal statement, and anything else you have sent them. Mine was not so much a conversation but a rapid fire question and answer, however, it was relatively laid back.

100% guaranteed they ask why DMU and why D.O. They asked me what I think about OMM and why Des Moines. No ethical questions, no technical questions. They also had me elaborate on the ideal qualities of a doctor and an example of an interaction with a patient that meant a lot to me.

My advice is be yourself. Don't answer questions based on what they want to hear and be unique. Really go over your application and know it inside out. Lastly, make sure you know being a physician is really what you want to do and really be able to explain why.

Good luck all. PM if I can help at all.