Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete 8/10... looks like I may have a while to wait... good luck on your other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the application on hold email. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
On pre interview hold. Complete 7/19.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same. They are slow to open up their spots, and my weeks keep filling up with other interview invites :/
This has to be the best problem to have haha

hold email this morning! complete 7/18.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's ready to hit the local bars tonight before interview day tomorrow? ;)

Hi,

This message is meant for current DMU-COM students M1-4. My interview is next month, and I am hoping you could share with me what the school is really about aside from what's on the school website. For example, are there any programs you like or unique or notable aspects about the school? What's going on currently with the DMU campus? I was checking under University News also, but if you have anything you want to add, I would really appreciate the additional insight as a prospective student. Also any tips or advice about the interview process or interview day you want to share? What kinds of questions to ask the faculty member or student after my interview is finished perhaps?

Thank you so much for your time!

How far is the campus from the airport? I just scheduled my flight for my interview next month and was trying to figure out transportation to and from campus. Is uber the best way to go?

How far is the campus from the airport? I just scheduled my flight for my interview next month and was trying to figure out transportation to and from campus. Is uber the best way to go?

No offense but I don't understand questions like this on SDN. By the time someone responds you could have just looked on google maps and gotten your answer in 30 seconds.

No offense but I don't understand questions like this on SDN. By the time someone responds you could have just looked on google maps and gotten your answer in 30 seconds.
ok thanks

I asked because some airports have shuttles for free directly to the school, some cities don't have uber, some cities have uber that aren't reliable in the day. But thanks for your comment :)

15 mins. 20 tops with Des Moines "traffic". There are taxis outside the airport you can snag. There are also some hotels with free shuttles to the school. Not sure exactly which though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I asked because some airports have shuttles for free directly to the school, some cities don't have uber, some cities have uber that aren't reliable in the day. But thanks for your comment :)

All questions that could have been answered from google/opening your uber app. But I guess you can wait until someone chimes in.

He was asking for student's experience. This is a forum to share just that kind of information.

Same. They are slow to open up their spots, and my weeks keep filling up with other interview invites :/

They opened up Oct 13th/14th if that's what you were looking for. I'm so chuffed that I got all my Kansas/MO interviews lined up in the same weekend.

@MDrocker Sure! I'm a first year medical student here at DMU. My wife attends Iowa State Vet school so subsequently DMU was my number one choice. Initially, I was unsure about the whole MD/DO debate because as a pre-med I had limited advice. What I can tell you so far is that going to DMU was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The professors/physicians would take the shirts off their backs to help you succeed. The city of Des Moines is bustling, and quite frankly Iowa ranks in the top 5 for best places to practice medicine. There are tons of choices for rotation sites 3rd/4th year and the facilities at DMU are great. Frankly, when I interviewed at U of I, I thought the facilities at DMU were newer and more modern (my opinion). We have senators and governors popping in and out all the time if you're interested in lobbying as well haha. I'm rambling on here but, everybody wants each other to succeed and it's been such a positive experience. As far as numbers go my group of friends has a 29-32 mcat range with around 3.5-3.8 gpa range. Forget the numbers though! For interview day just be yourself (I honestly wouldn't prep for this style of interview - it's that casual). They just want to see how you would benefit DMU and classmates. Best of luck and I hope I wasn't too late with the response!

P.S. - they have really ramped up their research opportunities as well, particularly cardiovascular

Reactions: 1 users
Has anybody from last week's interview day(s) heard anything yet?

Yep! I was wondering since they said it'd be a week and I'm tired of refreshing my email, haha.
Yeah they said that yesterday would be when we found out so you can assume its on its way.

Accepted, we made it fam!! Interviewed 9/23, best of luck to everyone applying this school is awesome!

Reactions: 4 users
Post-interview waitlist.

As good as a rejection this early in the cycle.

Accepted, we made it fam!! Interviewed 9/23, best of luck to everyone applying this school is awesome!

Congrats! But how did you get accepted when your interview hasn't even come up yet?

I really thought I was going to receive a rejection but II just now! Complete 7/22, OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted. Interview 9/9. Complete 8/3. II 8/11. OOS. LizzyM 70.5.

Just a little advice: I come from a West Coast state and flew in literally the night before, so I did not get to adjust for the time difference, and they have a four hour orientation before I interviewed, so by the time I interviewed I was half awake. Luckily, they liked me enough that I got an acceptance. :) But make sure you get to sleep super early. I absolutely adore this campus and the people. They will tell you all day that your interview will be "conversational" but be prepared to know aspects of your application.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted. Interview 9/8. Complete 7/18. II 7/29. OOS. LizzyM 69.2.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 9/8, LM 70.5.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted. Interview 9/9. Complete 8/3. II 8/11. OOS. LizzyM 70.5.

Just a little advice: I come from a West Coast state and flew in literally the night before, so I did not get to adjust for the time difference, and they have a four hour orientation before I interviewed, so by the time I interviewed I was half awake. Luckily, they liked me enough that I got an acceptance. :) But make sure you get to sleep super early. I absolutely adore this campus and the people. They will tell you all day that your interview will be "conversational" but be prepared to know aspects of your application.
So what was the orientation like?

Very laidback. They have financial aid and administration talk to you, an OMM demo, and a tour of the school.
Good to know! At first I was disappointed that I was going to have to wait all day to do the interview, but now I'm viewing it as sort of "breaking the ice" which will hopefully loosen me up and give me some more information to bring into my interview haha

Good to know! At first I was disappointed that I was going to have to wait all day to do the interview, but now I'm viewing it as sort of "breaking the ice" which will hopefully loosen me up and give me some more information to bring into my interview haha
That's exactly how I viewed it. The interview is really laid back, but adcoms are making sure you're a good fit for the school. If you can weave some new info from the orientation into your interview answers, more power to you.

Are any current DMUCOM students doing research on campus? How do you fit that into your DO program schedule? Is it easy to find faculty to work with during first and second years? I prefer clinical research over basic, but definitely open to both. What kinds of opportunities are there?