Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What hotel did everyone stay/is staying at? The options provided on their website isn't very wallet friendly.
I stayed in Colfax. It is a town just to the east of Des Moines with about a 25 minute drive. Room cost me 36 dollars per night, it was clean, modern enough and had free breakfast. Staff were nice and there is a Subway and a McDonalds within walking distance.

Edit: Colfax Inn. There are others in the area as well, however.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone interviewing this Thursday? Arriving early the day before and would love to grab coffee or something. I'll let you guys know how the interview goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would someone be able to provide the secondary questions? I saw on the first page that last years were provided, but was wondering if anyone can throw up this years? School told me they should be sending me a secondary by end of week, but I want to start writing it now. Thanks in advance!

Would someone be able to provide the secondary questions? I saw on the first page that last years were provided, but was wondering if anyone can throw up this years? School told me they should be sending me a secondary by end of week, but I want to start writing it now. Thanks in advance!

Please describe your exposure to osteopathic medicine, including (but not limited to) experiences with physicians in primary care or rural practice within the US. How have these experiences impacted you and your pursuit of osteopathic medical education as it relates to the mission of Des Moines University? (500 word limit)

* Do you have research experience? If yes, briefly describe the type of research experience and any measurable outcomes (presentations, publications, etc.)

Please describe what you feel to be your most defining service experience (including medical or non-medical service, volunteer, military, leadership, etc.). Be sure to describe how this experience impacted you and contributed to the development of your capacity to care for others. (500-word limit)

Completed 8/11. Still hopeful to hear back but...looks like it might take an eternity :whistle:

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning! Having a hard time scheduling with my work schedule. Would two weeks later make much of a difference with rolling admissions?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Denied post interview. Not having much luck with these interviews

So I think my interview here on the 22nd went well. I'm hoping for a turnaround similar to what @Brawndo2016 experienced. The format is as listed on their website, a current student, a clinical faculty member and a science faculty member. You receive a binder upon arrival with information including who is interviewing you and at what time. During the first round of interviews, two groups are led by two students to tour the building. It was a very nice campus with an impressive fitness center. They have primarily a lecture-based, systems curriculum and place an emphasis on OMM/OMT and Ultrasound competency. After the interview, we were told we were free to leave (as all of the informational sessions and tour occur beforehand). I was able to walk around downtown Des Moines the day before and found the Starbucks, public library and several nice parks. Definitely felt like there was a great environment at the school and everyone was very friendly and helpful. :)

EDIT: DMU is very established in research for a D.O. school. It was explained to us that the faculty and those involved are roughly 40 percent dedicated to research ( He contrasts this to places like John Hopkins where research faculty who may be 70-100 percent focused on research).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed here today. Definitely fell in love with the school after the entire day was over. Quite a unique place with great vibes coming from the faculty. Really enjoyed the interview with the two faculty members! Hopefully I hear back soon! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 3 users
So are they pretty strict with the 60 day thing? As in do they either decide rejection/hold/II sometime within or on the 60 days?

Are any current DMUCOM students doing research on campus? How do you fit that into your DO program schedule? Is it easy to find faculty to work with during first and second years? I prefer clinical research over basic, but definitely open to both. What kinds of opportunities are there?

I think most of my classmates are not in this forum, but there are a decent number that are doing research during the semester, enough to fill the labs. The way you study will really have an impact on how much time you can commit to research during the school year. Summer is the best time, but the ones that make it work have been doing so for a while now. One of my classmates stays in his lab until late hours at night, probably studying while there waiting on tests to complete.

So are they pretty strict with the 60 day thing? As in do they either decide rejection/hold/II sometime within or on the 60 days?

They should get back to you any time in that 2 month window.

To those of you interviewing in the future with interest in ultrasound, make sure you ask your tour guide to show you the ultrasound lab if you get the chance. They just put up 90" flatscreens on the wall in the lab. :D

Hey, when did you send them your primary? I was verified on 9/14 with them indicated as a program. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

I'm at day 63 since complete...should I call and ask about my status? I know admissions is swamped right now as it is at other places. LizzyM~65

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also FYI...I talked to admissions and they told me they are currently at a 75 day turnaround time instead of 60. So if you're playing the waiting game like me at least you'll know how long

Reactions: 2 users
Also FYI...I talked to admissions and they told me they are currently at a 75 day turnaround time instead of 60. So if you're playing the waiting game like me at least you'll know how long

Damn. Seems like a lot of schools are behind this year compared to last.

To those of you that have been accepted, how long does it take for them to make a decision post-interview.

II!! Super pumped. Scheduled for 10/13

This is day 64 I forgot exactly when I was complete

Anyone else interviewing here this Friday?! Starting to get nervous!

Does anyone have information on how deposits work? I remember reading somewhere that the 1000 deposit was due sometime in November if accepted, but my state school doesn't send out acceptances until January at the earliest. I'm assuming this deposit is non refundable and I'd prefer to not be out 1000 dollars. Also I'm probably counting my chickens before they hatch, I haven't even interviewed yet.

Does anyone have information on how deposits work? I remember reading somewhere that the 1000 deposit was due sometime in November if accepted, but my state school doesn't send out acceptances until January at the earliest. I'm assuming this deposit is non refundable and I'd prefer to not be out 1000 dollars. Also I'm probably counting my chickens before they hatch, I haven't even interviewed yet.

The initial deposit of $500 is due by December 14th. The remainder is due by May 1st. The deposit is nonrefundable, but is applied to tuition.

The deadlines are different if you are accepted after November 15th (I wanna say 30 days?). I hope that helps.

Good luck on your interview.

The initial deposit of $500 is due by December 14th. The remainder is due by May 1st. The deposit is nonrefundable, but is applied to tuition.

The deadlines are different if you are accepted after November 15th (I wanna say 30 days?). I hope that helps.

Good luck on your interview.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

Hey for those interviewing this Friday Sept. 30 lets eat dinner the night before together!

Received a file on hold email this morning.

Accepted! Interviewed on the 23rd.

Reactions: 5 users
How do you change your status to MS (accepted)

That's not as exciting. I think i'll choose "attending physician" thank you though (lol)