Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About a week to go...crossing my fingers guys! ><

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything good or bad. I am not really interested in IMS I rather do bms program at rfums

So I'm guessing this week should be the week.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Somehow by the grace of God, I made it. Haha! Phew... Anyway, I hope you all are surviving the wait, it's definitely the hardest part. You should hear back by the end of the week. Good luck! I will happily give people rides from the airport-- sadly I have to charge since I'm poor, BUT I will only charge $25 whereas a cab will be $40-$50! Just message me if you're interested. Best of luck to you all, stay positive, I was definitely a long shot applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
It has been really tough times waiting.

Reactions: 1 users
The waiting struggle is real. If they could see how many times I've opened my e-mail/banner page, the desperation would be very, very blatant.

Banner page now says "A final decision has been reached and a letter will be mailed to your preferred address."

I think I just died...twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
So we are getting the email tomorrow?

I have a question that may seem a little silly, but did you take part in the White Coat Ceremony or will you do that after you've completed the program? It seems like you will automatically be accepted into Drexel Med if you're accepted, so what's the point of waiting? Also, thanks for all the great advice! It was very eye opening! It seems like there is a fine line to walk for acceptance. Good, but not too high scores and grades. I do have one question, did anyone find any higher deviation in the MCAT? Or did everyone score around the mid 20's? I know a lot of people who scored 27's and got into medical school on the first try! I'm not kidding! And less than exceptional grades as well. Granted, a good deal of them struggled their first year of medical school but they GOT IN! Thanks in advance for answers.

Ah I'm confused. I thought we were being notified by email? Guess we'll see. I'm pretty surprised at how late they are notifying everyone. Best of luck, I hope tomorrow brings you good news everyone :)

Just got in! See y'all in Philly.

Just got in as well woo woo!! Just received an email. I have to let them know that to send to my permanent address though

Just got accepted too! Congrats everyone!

Accepted, track 2. Congrats fellow classmates, can't wait to hit the books with you guys.

Congrats everyone! I'm not applying yet, (goal class entering 2015!) I just wanted to gain information and insight. This post gave me a lot of hope! Thanks everyone and congrats! I hope to see you all in Philly next year!

For all of those accepted, how long are they giving you to accept your offer?

^ Monday, June 9th!

Phew, I can finally breathe easy...going (back) to Philly!
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted. Keeping my fingers crossed for those who were waitlisted, and for those not accepted your dream by no means ends here.

On track 1 for now. Hopefully my intensive studying pays off in about a week and I'll be on track 2.

Congrats to those who got in, and goodluck to everyone who is still waiting! Does anyone know when we are supposed to send the deposit by?

I'm not sure because in the email I got had no information on submitting the deposit

I e-mailed Kelli Kennedy, and she said that we will receive further information from the Office of Professional Studies regarding the deposit.

Awe, congrats guys. I'm truly happy for y'all. Your destiny is FINALLY in your hands! Make the contract and you're in medical school, it is completely doable, I assure you. It's an incredible feeling, I'll never forget it. You will have a ton of support, and you'll have all of us current class helping you along the way. Be sure to celebrate hard! Make a Facebook group, get to know each other, some current and passed DPMSers will prob ask to join the group fyi.

Congrats!

Im am really super excited to start and so so happy that I got in. I have two questions... there is not dress code right for class (med school attached to my undergrade had a dress code so thats why im curious). Also did you guys get an ipad as part of the initiative or do we have to buy one and does it have to be ipad (as opposed to samsung note 8.0)

I have a question that may seem a little silly, but did you take part in the White Coat Ceremony or will you do that after you've completed the program? It seems like you will automatically be accepted into Drexel Med if you're accepted, so what's the point of waiting? Also, thanks for all the great advice! It was very eye opening! It seems like there is a fine line to walk for acceptance. Good, but not too high scores and grades. I do have one question, did anyone find any higher deviation in the MCAT? Or did everyone score around the mid 20's? I know a lot of people who scored 27's and got into medical school on the first try! I'm not kidding! And less than exceptional grades as well. Granted, a good deal of them struggled their first year of medical school but they GOT IN! Thanks in advance for answers.
I don't think so only because we could not meet the requirements and not matriculate. Yes its guaranteed but only if you meet the requirements so you could get in not get 3.0 and not cross over

Im am really super excited to start and so so happy that I got in. I have two questions... there is not dress code right for class (med school attached to my undergrade had a dress code so thats why im curious). Also did you guys get an ipad as part of the initiative or do we have to buy one and does it have to be ipad (as opposed to samsung note 8.0)
Hello,

Congrats forgetting in! You better be excited! It's going to be a challenging year, but definitely a fun one. The summer is really fun, hanging out in the dorms one last time. Anyway, there is no dress code at all, and remember you don't take classes at the med school (Queen Lane campus) you take the classes in New College Building in Center City. Sadly you will not get an iPad. Even this years first year med students will not get them. It was a one and done trial run I guess... I'm pretty upset because getting that free ipad was my main motivation throughout the year... You are not required to have an iPad for DPMS, but they sure do help because of the Classroom Companion app, and there are some really nice anatomy apps. Let me know if you have any questions with the logistics, or about stuff to bring or anything like that.. And remember, I'll give rides from the airport!

Also, to answer another question earlier-- you do not take part in White Coat. Don't worry though it will come if you put in the work!

Congrats!

So anyone want to make a facebook group. Also anyone coming into philadelphia a day earlier

Is the class room companion ipad only or is there an android version

Is the class room companion ipad only or is there an android version
Well I kind of suck at ipads and technology. I've only seen iPads with classroom companion on it. But there could be a similar app on other systems. It's basically an app where you can write on and edit PDFs and do different things with the notes that's REALLY useful so you don't have to lug around your 200 page module packets.

Should you bring your car now or wait til you start in the fall with housing. Also is there anything that we should definitely bring down in the summer

You know, it depends on where you live. If you live in the city, there will be no where to put it. If you live in East Falls, then it will be difficult to get around without 1. The store is about 1.5 miles. But there's this GO car or something where you sign up and a lot of people share a car and pay like 10/hour for it. In the summer... There's no store nearby, so a car will be helpful for sure. But it's not essential, you can get by with walking. Stuff you should for sure bring in the summer are things to cook with, Pillows, bedding, snacks, food, tennis shoes (you have access the rec and everything), and an open mind.

Is it at all possible to submit a portion of the deposit and the remainder within the week? I emailed Dr. Walker and the Office of Professional Studies to inquire but I am waiting for a response.

Also on the topic of necessities, is there a microwave available in the dorms?

Hello,

Congrats to you. Honestly now is fairly smooth sailing. They're not gonna kick you out if you don't pay the deposit on time and they'll be willing to work with you with whatever set back you may have. DPMS is pretty laid back for the most part, just get it in in a timely manner. Each room will have a microwave. Each floor will have a kitchen and big refrigerator and oven and stove. Bring pots and pans and other cooking/eating utensils. It will be hard to buy that stuff here cuz there's not place near by. Last year a few people had cars in the summer, I quickly got on their good side and bummed rides with them to Walmart and bought stuff. I didn't have a pillow the first few nights and I about died, I love pillows you see. But yes, take anything you think you'll need that you can't buy at a gas station. There is a CVS near the dorms (CVS is like Walgreens or Rite Aide), there's plenty of restaurants and cafes, but no stores for produce and real food. LEt me know if I'm forgetting anything!

Where to live, where to live. They'll tell you that you got plenty of time to find places, but honestly you don't! I highly recommend finding a place and setting up the lease like the first week or 2. Remember you've got 600 med students, 100+ IMS 100+ MSP/IHS all coming in to find the same places that you are. If you push it off it will be hard to find a place! East Falls is where you want to go if you want a quiet neighborhood, but there's nothing to do. NOTHING. If you don't have a car, there's not even a coffee shop within walking distance. But it's WAY cheaper, and fairly nice. The cheapest place that I heard someone paying in the city was like $1000. Most pay about $1200 just on rent.

Anway you essentially have 3 options of where to live, East Falls by Queen Lane campus. University city, and Center City. The city places are all pricy.

Is it at all possible to submit a portion of the deposit and the remainder within the week? I emailed Dr. Walker and the Office of Professional Studies to inquire but I am waiting for a response.

Also on the topic of necessities, is there a microwave available in the dorms?
Have you gotten an email about paying the deposit. I haven't gotten anything from Dr.Walker or anyone besides Kelli Kennedy yet