Drexel DPMS vs Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belenita77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on which program is better?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who interviewed at both: GEMS all the way. Drexel’s attrition rate is atrocious and something to be worried about. Please don’t make the mistake of picking a subpar program over one that has a 98.6% acceptance rate.

Reactions: 4 users
Drexel all the way dude. Drexel DPMS you are also accepted to Drexel Med as long as you keep a 3.0 during your DPMS year. GEMS may have a 98.6% attrition rate, but you will still have to apply next year for GUSOM. Also GUSOM is not URiM friendly, so I'd advise against it.I haven't heard the same thing about Drexel, especially since its WAYYYYY more diverse than Georgetown. As a black GUSOM student I wish I had gone somewhere else, almost daily. I didn't do GEMS, but I did one year of one of the Drexel programs and aced it and got accepted to numerous schools. But good luck!

Drexel all the way dude. Drexel DPMS you are also accepted to Drexel Med as long as you keep a 3.0 during your DPMS year. GEMS may have a 98.6% attrition rate, but you will still have to apply next year for GUSOM. Also GUSOM is not URiM friendly, so I'd advise against it.I haven't heard the same thing about Drexel, especially since its WAYYYYY more diverse than Georgetown. As a black GUSOM student I wish I had gone somewhere else, almost daily. I didn't do GEMS, but I did one year of one of the Drexel programs and aced it and got accepted to numerous schools. But good luck!
Sorry to bust your bubble, but medical schools in general aren’t URM friendly. The only exceptions are historically black medical schools and medical schools located in a primarily African-descent community. I will have to admit though, that outside of GEMS, the environment at GUSOM felt....off. But with the huge support of GEM faculty and past students, I found it super easy to brush off.