Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajv1213

tachy12
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, So has anyone started applying for this program, it seems like a great way to get into med school without the glide year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Awesome program! I will definitely be applying. However, I don't think they are accepting apps for the 2015-2016 cycle yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
it says apply now on the website. I am just finding out about this program and hope to apply in December. Does anyone know some of the requirements or averages?

So this program is designed for economically disadvantaged or underserved population applicants. They accept lower stats. So like high two gpa's are usually in the range, but def can also be low 3's. They can take MCATs less than 23, but if you are accepted they place you on track 1 (need to retake mcat). Above a 23 gets to take an immuno course instead. So the GPA and MCAT varies widely. They say they look at your app holistically as well

I called them this morning and found out I am ineligible due to MCAT test dates. It really sucks because I would've loved to have taken a March or February MCAT but AAMC's first test date for the 2015 MCAT is April 16.

I called them this morning and found out I am ineligible due to MCAT test dates. It really sucks because I would've loved to have taken a March or February MCAT but AAMC's first test date for the 2015 MCAT is April 16.

Focus in gaining admission directly into medical school your first time around. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet your main focus should be to do well enough for a direct admission. Anticipating a bad score on this exam is setting yourself up for failure. I did exactly what you are attempting to do last cycle. In the end I ended up wasting time, money, and regretting my decision. Focus on killing the MCAT. Right now that should be your ONLY goal.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the minimum science and cumulative gpa and mcat required. Any information on how many apply and are accepted per class. How many letters of recommendation are needed. Thank you. I tried calling their office but every time I call I get their voice mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when the application opens for this upcoming cycle?

It's open now, but the application is not rolling, so the app won't get reviewed until after the deadline

really? When I log in and try it only has the Summer 2014-2015 application and not the Summer 2015-2016 one.

That's weird, I haven't checked but from the webinar they said it was open and it was the same one for all the programs (IMS, DPMS etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the minimum science and cumulative gpa and mcat required. Any information on how many apply and are accepted per class. How many letters of recommendation are needed. Thank you. I tried calling their office but every time I call I get their voice mail.
Yeah, i called them today and got voice mail a few times, but eventually was able to speak to someone. She said they accept 40 people per class, i think there is a minimum MCAT of 20 to be in the program and 23 to matriculate without having to retake it. She also mentioned 3 LORs (2 from science and 1 non-science) I forgot to ask about financial aid. Apps are due April 24, no rolling admissions

From the webinar they said about 300-400 usually apply and I believe they said at about 80-100 get interviews but I could be wrong

Have you started your application for this year? But yeah, when I log in the only option if gives me is for last years app

I actually remembering emailing them a month ago about this, and I just checked back and they said the 2014-2015 app was the correct one to apply for since that is their academic year. It makes sense especially since the dpms app is the same as the other programs and those are rolling admissions and are supposedly open now according to the webinar. On a side note, I also found out they can take LORs from interfolio for anyone wondering.

Also if anyone is interested in applying, sign up for a webinar. They are very informative and give you an application fee waiver for all the drexel programs you apply for (DPMS, IMS etc)

Last year there were 100 interview, 600 application, 300 of those that were completed and my DPMS class is 39 people. they may look at some applications in early February, the vast majority of applications will get notified in later April, early May and possibly late May. but the earlier interview dates don't make a difference in getting( I interviewed last day and Four out of seven people who interviewed that day got in) So right now I would focus on you current exams because you can't get anything in you premed classes lower than a C in general( C- maybe considered a C is some classes) and do the application during winter break and finalize letters of Rec( like make sure they are sent) by spring break.

Reactions: 2 users
Also if anyone is interested in applying, sign up for a webinar. They are very informative and give you an application fee waiver for all the drexel programs you apply for (DPMS, IMS etc)

How do you sign up for it ?

Are there any current/former DPMS students willing to share their experience about the program?

Current Dpmser(almost done with the fall semester) and so far this program has been good, challenging but good. I'm track two so no experience about studying for the MCAT while taking classes but do know about juggling loads. I glad I did this program and any specific questions feel free to ask. Oh I got on the last day of interviews along with four out of seven people so not rolling at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Current Dpmser(almost done with the fall semester) and so far this program has been good, challenging but good. I'm track two so no experience about studying for the MCAT while taking classes but do know about juggling loads. I glad I did this program and any specific questions feel free to ask. Oh I got on the last day of interviews along with four out of seven people so not rolling at all.
Has maintaining that 3.0 GPA been tough with the classes so far?

@naijapride Thank you for participating in this discussion. Here are some questions to begin with:

-What is the average MCAT and GPA (as well as range) that you know of?
-What qualities are they looking for beside numbers?
-Is your DPMS interview considered your "unofficial" medical school interview?
-How do students pay for the program? Is it purely loans? What type of loans and/or scholarships are available to DPMS students?
-Is it true that Drexel is transforming the DPMS into an masters program?
-What is the current MCAT cutoff for Track I and Track II? And do they look at the composite score or sectional score as well?
-Does the school have a specific definition for "disadvantaged" students or is it a self-identification claim made by the applicant and assessed by the admissions committee?
-What is the current class size?
-Did you use your medical school personal statement and LORs for the program?
-What grading system is used?
-What percentage of students from the program end up matriculating into Drexel medical school?

I'm sorry if the questions sound random but that's what I can think of for now. Once again, thanks for your contribution. Your help is appreciated!

Ok so in order
1. No in the beginning it was a bit overwhelming but you get into the groove and I'm currently on track for that(no official grades yet)
2. GPA around 3.1ish and MCAT don't know enough specific scores but first day there there were 12 track twos(including myself) and 26 track ones and by the time classes start in August for real there were 12track twos and 25 track ones(one girl had taken the MCAT two days before flying out and got the score to be track two and one of the orginal track two people got off the waitlist at Howard) so I say the average is around a 22 MCAT for my class
3. My own opinion is they want people who if it weren't for one or academic things they would gladly take into their class upon regular admission so all the non measurable premed things and a chance that this person isn't a washout, complete utter lazy ass but may have done poorly for other reasons and has potential.
4.yes the interview is your official medical school interview you will not be interviewing again. So don't mess it up just like if you got an interview for admission to medical school(usually don't send invites til April I did my on the last day(pretty sure I replied yes I will be attending on the last possible day too)) so you have time to practice.
5. Loans. Loans and more loans, will explain types in answer to question six
6. Government changed rules so you couldn't get grad plus or stafford loans unless you were in a degree program this year so this class go institution loans from drexel to pay for it. To avoid that hassle is probably why they are switching to a master's programs so that way you can continue to get stafford/gradplus loans and not private. However not sure if it is confirmed yet.
7. Track two cutoff was a 23 but physical and biological sciences had to be an 8 or above and the verbal score had to be a 7 or above. Can get a 30 with two 12's and a 6 still track one
8. They take the AAMC version or disadvantage and under presented so obvious Black, Mexican, Southern American, Central American, First People/Native Americans, pacific islanders(like people from, Polynesia, Micronesia, those really small islands in the South Pacific etc.),(Cubans I would check if they count cuz in Florida they don't (my state of residence) but other states lump all Hispanics together as URM. Other than that if you grew up(from birth to 19 years when you are legally an adult) in an undeveloped, poor regions of the Country...aka Appalachia, the urban ghetto any where in South Chicago that is not in the Hyde park area, that growing up in a underrepresented area you count. Other than that were you one food stamps, did you have to work in high school(and by have to work I mean have to work in order to help contribute to the bills/your college education). If you are 300% above the poverty line, basically economically or socially were there reasons why that grade is not totally reflective. Anything else is up to them. Not everyone in this program is Black or Mexican but the majority are
9. Current class size as of today 37 class on the first day of classes 38( typically 600 total apps, 300 completed ones, 1000 interviews, 40 acceptances)
10. I did not as i didn't use my school's medical school service(prehealth advisor was also head of the get more URM into engineering PhD programs and I decided by then I wanted to go into medicine like 3 year old me said) however they do use the letter committee service
11. I'm actually not really that sure of the complete grading scale just that you need to score above the mean of the medical students that haven't taken the class before in a medical like setting(so my grades next if and when I make it would not count toward the average) in order to get a B. The minimum passing grade in medical school classes is a 70(the C and what you need to pass immuno) for the grad classes the scale is dependent on the class but usually 80 is a B. The cutoffs for other grades have not yet been determined.
12. Between 50-70/80% with a heavy skew toward track two(last year's class all but one track two person did make it) but there is no cutoff for making it if all the kids in your class make it then you will all be in that class(your seat is reserved)
If you have any other questions I'll answer in the best way I can or point you to someone who can

Reactions: 5 users
@naijapride Thanks a lot for the help! I'll definitely ask when I think of more questions.

Hey Naija pride...are you Igbo, Yoruba..etc? my best friends from school were Ghanaian and Nigerian, so I've been adopted into west African culture everything from fufu to the azonto .lol. I just had a question regarding the app to DPMS. I sent my app and received an email confirming receipt, but I have also sent over things like letters and transcripts will they notify us as they receive everything or just when we are complete? Also I checked back on my application portal and I cant see my submitted app to reference it, is this an error? I also see the program is for underrepresented minorities and disadvantaged, do you have to be both, or just one. I happen to be both, but I am wondering if I could introduce this program to a friend who is a URM, but not necessarily economically or socially disadvantaged?

I am Igbo .(first generation)
They should email you when totally complete. When I applied I relied solely on emails sooooo idk. And technically URM is implying socially disadvantaged in and of itself(the other social was mainly toward people who aren't URM but have those experiences to apply(for example Egyptians are not considered URM but may have spent most of their lives in a underrepresented community with limited exposure) URM isn't the nice way of saying black they are implying there is a reason why only 3% of doctors are black yet 12% of the general population is black.
Long story short tell your friend to apply however if they have 3.4 and 30 MCAT probably not getting in

After crying uncontrollably for days, I have come to terms with reality and looking into programs of this nature. Has anyone submitted their app yet? Are they interviewing yet?

After crying uncontrollably for days, I have come to terms with reality and looking into programs of this nature. Has anyone submitted their app yet? Are they interviewing yet?

I submitted my app

Is there a minimum MCAT score needed to apply?

There is a difference between score to not retake MCAT (23 with 8's in sciences and 7 in verbal) and the score in which you need to even be eligible for acceptance into the program( possibly 20 but individual people may get leeway for lower number)

Hi! I was reading the rate your SMP thread and there was a lot of poor comments on Drexel and this program. How are the faculty as far as being available for questions, organization, structure of the program, advising and actually helping you with your med application? A few posts said the faculty weren't helpful and are just out for $$. How has your experience with non class aspects?

Faculty was pretty available if you found their office in queen lane( in fact the anatomy teacher is lroviding extra reviews for DPMS program kids and adjustments on the first test for track one kids taking the MCAT this month). Biggest gripe is financial aid that took so to get settle. Application questions is ok except for right before the deadline but I have heard of a problem with some organization. Ok for DPMS specific since you can ONLY APPLY TO DREXEL THE YEAR YOU'RE IN THE PROGRAM WITHOUT GETTING KICKED OUT the application didnt need help you literally just copy/paste DPMS application in AMCAS make sure it transfer well in the secondary and on your merry way. I think that DPMS (unlike the other post bacc programs at drexel) are less take my money please in my own opinion. Actually most on my problems with the program have been with dealing with the other post baccs students who have an inch to scratch and the fact ghat the calander isnt updated early enough. It is what it is but still one the few programs for automatic admission if you fulfill the requirements. Now if you don't get to dpms but offered a spot in another post bacc ill think long and hard about taking that

Faculty was pretty available if you found their office in queen lane( in fact the anatomy teacher is lroviding extra reviews for DPMS program kids and adjustments on the first test for track one kids taking the MCAT this month). Biggest gripe is financial aid that took so to get settle. Application questions is ok except for right before the deadline but I have heard of a problem with some organization. Ok for DPMS specific since you can ONLY APPLY TO DREXEL THE YEAR YOU'RE IN THE PROGRAM WITHOUT GETTING KICKED OUT the application didnt need help you literally just copy/paste DPMS application in AMCAS make sure it transfer well in the secondary and on your merry way. I think that DPMS (unlike the other post bacc programs at drexel) are less take my money please in my own opinion. Actually most on my problems with the program have been with dealing with the other post baccs students who have an inch to scratch and the fact ghat the calander isnt updated early enough. It is what it is but still one the few programs for automatic admission if you fulfill the requirements. Now if you don't get to dpms but offered a spot in another post bacc ill think long and hard about taking that

thanks for the input!! my app is complete there nevertheless, so we shall see! i only applied to DPMS

Hopefully the app isn't too long, I haven't even looked at it yet haha

No problem overall I like this program my fellow students in the program are cool for the most part and if I went back in time and had to choose a post bacc program again I would choose this one

Reactions: 2 users
No problem overall I like this program my fellow students in the program are cool for the most part and if I went back in time and had to choose a post bacc program again I would choose this one

well i hope you matriculate!

Are there any current/former DPMS students willing to share their experience about the program?
I didn't do the Drexel program. I did the Georgetown GEMS program (somewhat similar) but I do know someone who did the Drexel one and was accepted. Any questions about the GEMS program, please feel free to email

Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident

Haven't been back here in a while but so excited to see so many interested applicants already! Feel free to ask me any questions as well, or PM me in private if you'd like. Highly recommend this program, and definitely apply even if you think your stats are too high/low - my GPA was well above the listed criteria as were a handful of others and we were still accepted. If you attend an information session your application fee will be waived so you can apply at no cost. Best of luck with the application process!

I submitted my app and I am attending a webinar today.

Wanted to ask the current students when does the Summer session begin?

Mid June and if they continue the tradition 2weeks after you find out you got in.

Though if they change the curriculum to include summer classes for actual grades then early June