Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No no tuition (unless that changes with the masters) but if they do that then financial aid will be processed earlier

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind shedding light on the Financial aid/financing process? I emailed the program and they said to ask financial aid, but financial aid only lets me email them if I'm already a student.

Since financial aid kicks in in the fall, how much money did you need saved up to even start the program? Did you need to pay the summer portion out of pocket and then the Fall and Spring were covered?

Thank you! :)

Entering into the program, I brought with me about 2,000 that I had saved over a year. I had applied to med school and was planning for whatever was coming my way. I submitted my DPMS application really late. Like almost a wk before the due date in April. With the money I saved, I was able to pay for deposit and 1st month's rent. You should start saving right away. You just never know where life takes you.

Reactions: 1 users
Entering into the program, I brought with me about 2,000 that I had saved over a year. I had applied to med school and was planning for whatever was coming my way. I submitted my DPMS application really late. Like almost a wk before the due date in April. With the money I saved, I was able to pay for deposit and 1st month's rent. You should start saving right away. You just never know where life takes you.

Keep in mind that DPMS pool is not review until DUCOM have submitted decisions for all of its med school applicants in May. Interview may be scheduled as soon as a wk from the time they send you an email for an interview. This means you may be paying for a VERY EXPENSIVE flight! My flight for the interview cost me about nearly $500. In addition, from the time you are interviewed (starting early May to after Memorial Day) to when a decision is made, you have only about 2 wks to prepared for the move to Phila. Starting planning early and the move will be more smooth upon acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys! I signed up for a webinar back in Jan and they told us that they were having problems with offering students financial aid, since it wasn't a masters program. Just to clarify, are you guys saying that for this upcoming year students will be able to receive federal loans for the program?

Do you mind shedding light on the Financial aid/financing process? I emailed the program and they said to ask financial aid, but financial aid only lets me email them if I'm already a student.

Since financial aid kicks in in the fall, how much money did you need saved up to even start the program? Did you need to pay the summer portion out of pocket and then the Fall and Spring were covered?

Thank you! :)
I believe the summer session is free

If they make it into a full masters program then they should but we are not sure if that will completely happen in time. That's the problem.

I believe the summer session is free
There is no tuition charged and you get housing(and by housing it literally means that you get a bed and a shower, and place to store clothes) everything else is paid for by you including food for the summer

Ok. So the webinar just started.
They are waiving the application fee for attending the webinar. I thought I would let yall know... :)

Yes it's pretty low-key you watch some of last year's lectures, in the first few days you have academic stuff and randomly former DPMSER come in and give advise. If you have a already confirmed position you can talk to people about missing days but consider that you will not travel much during the summer. The summer was good to get to know your classmates, find housing and understand the public transportation system(highly useful especially if you are not bringing a car).

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it's pretty low-key you watch some of last year's lectures, in the first few days you have academic stuff and randomly former DPMSER come in and give advise. If you have a already confirmed position you can talk to people about missing days but consider that you will not travel much during the summer. The summer was good to get to know your classmates, find housing and understand the public transportation system(highly useful especially if you are not bringing a car).
Thanks, and how many weeks is it (summer session)?

Six weeks but you only have a week between the end and orientation so an extended trip out of the country or across the country.... Maybe not feasible(nothing is impossible though)......trying to go from one side of the east coast to the other completely doable(I went from Philly to Tampa for that week to finalize my car situation and get my iPad cuz I had it shipped from home)

So we have to have an iPad for the program? Does it matter what kind? And did you move everything with you in June since you lived on campus or did you wait until right before Fall?

I'm so ready to hear back, but not much longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So we have to have an iPad for the program? Does it matter what kind? And did you move everything with you in June since you lived on campus or did you wait until right before Fall?

I'm so ready to hear back, but not much longer.
Hahaha, we have 2 months+ before we hear anything back..smh

What other programs is everyone else applying to? The only other one I've found that's really similar and doesn't require a verified AMCAS application is Temple ACMS

I'm applied to Temple as well. I liked that they used my AMCAS app for my post bacc app.

so I moved like 85% of my stuff with me( which since I was living in the dorms/campus apartments could fit in 4 suitcases) and move the remaining 15% in August with my car. They want at least an iPad2 ( or the iPad mini 2) because for class companion and the like. The medical students take a couple of their exams on it but we never took exams on it so it became an expensive toy for 65% of our program who didn't use the iPad and just got paper notes. I used the iPad regularly but the iPad should be the last thing on your list to buy unless you were already looking for one now in which case ( especially if you become track 2) future proof it because it will be used for the next 5 years of your life and you don't want to think about replacing it at the end of year one because you ran out of space, the next ios update won't cover it, etc blah blah blah(pm about tech stuff ) but if you already own an iPad 2 or above or an iPad mini 2 or above just keep that one

Long story short....... iPads are "needed" but if they don't replace pharm with micro-anatomy then you don't need the until first year( Drexel just started this iPad campus 2 years ago so they may move more and more towards it).
P.S because of the iPad they will not print out for you paper notes so it is an expensive that you need to cover in the program at either 10 cents a paper on campus, through the printing shop that also binds your notes or by buying a printer( not included in cost of living expenses)

Long story short....... iPads are "needed" but if they don't replace pharm with micro-anatomy then you don't need the until first year( Drexel just started this iPad campus 2 years ago so they may move more and more towards it).
P.S because of the iPad they will not print out for you paper notes so it is an expensive that you need to cover in the program at either 10 cents a paper on campus, through the printing shop that also binds your notes or by buying a printer( not included in cost of living expenses)

Thanks. I wish we could find out sooner if we got in or not since i'll be moving all the way from TX and I have a dog so I need to know what do with her (more than likely take her to my parent's house in Chicago). I guess I can always just plan for it just to be safe.

Did you have to get a roommate? What are avg rent prices near campus?

I currently have a roommate didn't start out with one. it depends on where yoou want to llive9 by the centerr city campus or by the medical school campus( I live by the medical school one and take the shuttle to NCB) 2/3 of people who live by the medical school campus pay between 525 including utilities( me and my rommate who is also in the program) to about 875 including utilitizes/internet( friend in my building living alone) another 1/3 all live in either Rittenhouse or Delmoriss and pay between 900 a piece for 2 bed room/ 2bath and around 1100 living alone. The people in the city are more variable to 680( past city hall so a bit of a walk to NCB) to around 1000( living by herself in the city a bit of a walk as well). There is one person who lives near the undergrad campus who is paying 1100 a month but it includes everything including color printing . There are good deals and bad and the neighbor around the medical campus is pretty safe but you have plenty of time to look around

Oh and chisolests32 where in Chicago are you from( was Chicago born and mostly raised til moving to Tampa at 13

Thanks. I wish we could find out sooner if we got in or not since i'll be moving all the way from TX and I have a dog so I need to know what do with her (more than likely take her to my parent's house in Chicago). I guess I can always just plan for it just to be safe.

I have a dog too but he's coming with me whenever I end up

I want to bring her, but i'm unsure if we can have pets in the dorm. She would just stay with my parents for the summer.

I currently have a roommate didn't start out with one. it depends on where yoou want to llive9 by the centerr city campus or by the medical school campus( I live by the medical school one and take the shuttle to NCB) 2/3 of people who live by the medical school campus pay between 525 including utilities( me and my rommate who is also in the program) to about 875 including utilitizes/internet( friend in my building living alone) another 1/3 all live in either Rittenhouse or Delmoriss and pay between 900 a piece for 2 bed room/ 2bath and around 1100 living alone. The people in the city are more variable to 680( past city hall so a bit of a walk to NCB) to around 1000( living by herself in the city a bit of a walk as well). There is one person who lives near the undergrad campus who is paying 1100 a month but it includes everything including color printing . There are good deals and bad and the neighbor around the medical campus is pretty safe but you have plenty of time to look around

Looks like i'll be living by the med school campus for 875! I would like a roommate, but I know my dog is super hyper so I won't punish anyone like that lol. I'm from southside of Chicago. My parents currently live in the Morgan Park/Beverly area. Always nice to meet a fellow Chicagoan.

nice I lived southside surburbs( live first two years by Navy pier, then next 10 in burham went to school in Calcumet City. and yep just make sure to note the pet policy

Pardon my colloquialism when I say, Drexel please give a brotha a shot, All i want to do is be a doctor. The Medschool application process may just be a form of cruel and unusual punishment...i don't know if I can do it again...sorry folks just had to vent a little.lol...i can see my interview day now "why should we let you in?" because I'll have to move back home, I will literally sink into a deep depression and question all my life decisions up until this point sir.lol" ...originally from MP too shout out to the Chicago peeps...I live down south now, thank god for sunshine..good luck to everybody, newbie on the forum submitted yesterday ...hoping for an opportunity here. gpa not impressive by any means (sub 3.0 but went to grad school and did a lot better, hope that helps, 28MCAT) i think i saw a few ppl on last years forum that said they got in with 3.4+ and 30+, if they are looking for that then count me out.lol..but I pray for all of you, and whether this works out for us or not, keep pushing and keep grinding guys...it'll happen. looking forward to April!

Reactions: 3 users
nice I lived southside surburbs( live first two years by Navy pier, then next 10 in burham went to school in Calcumet City. and yep just make sure to note the pet policy
The program has a pet policy or the pet policy for the dorms. I know dorms don't allow pets. She'll just be living in Chicago.

Pardon my colloquialism when I say, Drexel please give a brotha a shot, All i want to do is be a doctor. The Medschool application process may just be a form of cruel and unusual punishment...i don't know if I can do it again...sorry folks just had to vent a little.lol...i can see my interview day now "why should we let you in?" because I'll have to move back home, I will literally sink into a deep depression and question all my life decisions up until this point sir.lol" ...originally from MP too shout out to the Chicago peeps...I live down south now, thank god for sunshine..good luck to everybody, newbie on the forum submitted yesterday ...hoping for an opportunity here. gpa not impressive by any means (sub 3.0 but went to grad school and did a lot better, hope that helps, 28MCAT) i think i saw a few ppl on last years forum that said they got in with 3.4+ and 30+, if they are looking for that then count me out.lol..but I pray for all of you, and whether this works out for us or not, keep pushing and keep grinding guys...it'll happen. looking forward to April!
Hello fellow Chicagoan. But have faith, we'll get in!

btw, what building do you live in?

Dorms some apartments too my apartment Queen lane manor only allows cats though I see a dog come in and out all the time while Carlton parks(next door) allows both And housing can and will be found in due timetime

I thought they forgot about me and gave me a silent rejection in LATE MAY during the application process and turns out they just couldn't get through my email and I here now and three exams away from matriculating. It's way way waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too early to panicking they honestly probably haven't even started looking at apps til end of March so relax all you can do is have faith. They look holistically and weigh all apps equally.

@naijapride and @chisolests32 thanks for the positivity and good vibes guys, its really refreshing...the premeds at my undergrad were so competitive that the comradery is definitely appreciated on here. Thats really amazing najaipride, its gotta feel good to be almost there, im sure it hasn't been easy, did the year go by fast in your opinion?

We send our test scores To Drexel Medical Science Program on the MCAT THx site right?

It at times feels so short and so long at different times( like last week when I had my anatomy exam felt soooooooo long ) but when we were having dinner for one of our peersbirthday it kept coming up how it feels so short that we just met each other in June and now here we are. Over the long time I thought it when a bit fast but there where times I didn't see light at the end of the tunnel( like triple threat omg or the final for immuno( I am track two for all those who haven't read the entire thread) it depends. I was engineering so I'm more use to camaraderie than super competitiness and I feel like it does nothing but raise your blood pressure and I have Jay Culter and the fact that Derrick Rose IS ALWAYS GETTING INJURED LIKE OMG CAN YOU MAKE IT ONE DAMN SEASON I HAD SOOO MUCH HOPE(chicago native and sports fans btws) to do that
@Mellophone5 yes you do

@naijapride lol..man don't get me started on Chicago sports..we might need to start a whole new thread...but I def feel bad for Chicago fans, especially since I haven't lived in chi town since Jordan was still playing for the Bulls...the good ole days..lol...Ive been living in Miami so long now, the Heat have gotten my basketball loyalty, which is not saying much these days...but the program sounds really awesome..I'm sure the true benefits will payoff next year, do you have to retake those courses? ..I hope I get in, but it looks like acceptance is really dependent on how much they like you overall, so its anybody's game ... But God willing I do get accepted save those immune notes for me.lol...and engineering wow major props..I love math but math doesn't love me..lol
I did miami for undergrad but if I didn't convert in 2003 then even LeBron coming to southeast wasn't going to convert me and yeah its how much they like but also what's the likelihood that you can make it through too so just relax pray and get through

Awe you make me laugh and cry !!

Six weeks but you only have a week between the end and orientation so an extended trip out of the country or across the country.... Maybe not feasible(nothing is impossible though)......trying to go from one side of the east coast to the other completely doable(I went from Philly to Tampa for that week to finalize my car situation and get my iPad cuz I had it shipped from home)
Hi Naijapride, I have a question. Is it helpful to have a car while in the DPMS program? would we need it for the summer session too?

It depends on where you live if you live by Queen lane it's very very very useful because it not super easy walking distance to the grocery store or target. If you live in the city it's less useful because you can walk to trader joes or smaller local stuff. So if you are living in the city you don't need one . If you live in Queen lane(by the medical school) then yes because then you will be reliant on people giving you rides. However don't go broke buying a car. I got a car as a graduation present and have been using that. Another one has master the train/bus system in Philadelphia and she gets along fine. Another refuses to learn it doesn't have a car and thus waste a day traveling with me when I have errands as I give her rides to the store but only on my time.

Long story short. If you have a car already bring it with you so you don't need to judge accessibility with price in choosing where to live(also in the summer having a car makes apartment shopping so so much easier as you can go whenever and not based on the shuttle schedule(that for some reason doesn't run on weekends). If you don't it won't kill you to not have one because Philadelphia has decent public transportation(not as good and Chicago, NYC Boston or Dc but better than the south)

Anyone else applying to other programs?

Current/former DPMS students, did you apply to other similar programs as well or just the DPMS? Also, what's the earliest/latest date by which you can hear a decision from the school?

I'm planning on applying, just working on applications for other programs BU MAMS/TEMPLE ACMS/TUFTS MBS. Since they don't start looking at applications till April I'm not too focused on finishing this one until probably next week. This is my top choice though, would be sweet to get in and not have to worry about going through the medical medical school admissions process.

I applied to only this program because original idea was if I didn't into medical school to work as an engineer for like two years and decide from there. My roommate got an interview in early April but most people didn't start hearing back til May.

I applied to only this program because original idea was if I didn't into medical school to work as an engineer for like two years and decide from there. My roommate got an interview in early April but most people didn't start hearing back til May.

Did your roommate hear back in April or May? In other words, would you say that the average wait time between the interview and hearing back is two weeks maybe?

I'm planning on applying, just working on applications for other programs BU MAMS/TEMPLE ACMS/TUFTS MBS. Since they don't start looking at applications till April I'm not too focused on finishing this one until probably next week. This is my top choice though, would be sweet to get in and not have to worry about going through the medical medical school admissions process.

Are you choosing these programs based on linkage to medical school or other factors (e.g. location, tuition, etc..)? I'm thinking about Cincinnati and Georgetown.

Temple: Linkage, similar to DPMS were its a guaranteed acceptance to their med school given you meet certain criteria (GPA and MCAT)
BU MAMS and TUFTS MBS: I have been doing research in a lab for the past two years and have really enjoyed it, these programs would allow me to do a lab based thesis and take first year med school classes (help improve my gpa and prove to med schools I can handle their coursework) also their location in Boston. I've lived in California my whole life, ready for a change

Did your roommate hear back in April or May? In other words, would you say that the average wait time between the interview and hearing back is two weeks maybe?
No everyone hears back from interviews around June six she had a two month wait while I had a two week wait. I say on average it's a month wait since the vast majority of interviews are in May. The actual medical school admission committee reviews the application not a special DPMS specific committee so right now it's been quiet because they are full swing in last round of medical school interviews. In May it will pick up substainally