Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I logged into the secondary the first time I could see interview information, but it was gone when I logged in the next time. I'm pretty sure the email earlier was just to inform us that our application is complete and they will begin reviewing apps. Interview invites will probably be a different email. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker here - I also have access to the schedule screen (does not have available dates). Friend of mine said this happened to her at a different school and it ended up being an official interview later on. Also says "class of 2018" lol

No complete email for me, submitted my secondary on the 26th along with all letters of rec :(

Members don't see this ad :)
And no interview tab for me. Submitted yesterday and got email

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I just got another email from them reminding me to submit the secondary application. I totally did not realize that there was a 30 day time limit!

And no interview tab for me. Submitted yesterday and got email

Oddly enough I have the interview tab despite not having a "complete" email. I did receive a transaction receipt, is that what people are talking about?

Can any students at KCUMB comment on how the lectures are like? Are there clicker-questions and an interactive style of lecturing (in other words, questions asked to the students)?

Can any students at KCUMB comment on how the lectures are like? Are there clicker-questions and an interactive style of lecturing (in other words, questions asked to the students)?

Most lectures are pretty straightforward ppt style lectures. About every week you will get 1-3 hrs of time reserved for Clinical Integration Sessions. This where a physician will come and bring about cases (most of them real) and you use the iclicker remote to answer questions.

We also have some team based sessions with our clinical medicine class as well.

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
News update: http://www.kcumb.edu/about/news-events/news/?id=12884902978

Really cool to see this happen. KCU has really worked hard to start growing as a research university and the results so far have been fantastic.

Leaving my shift at the ER and loved reading this after seeing literally 60% of the patients today with CHF. Really cool! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Are there summer research electives for students? My to-be wife will be working as a nurse at a hospital wherever I end up at, so I'd love to have something to keep me busy/sharp during the summer.

Leaving my shift at the ER and loved reading this after seeing literally 60% of the patients today with CHF. Really cool! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Are there summer research electives for students? My to-be wife will be working as a nurse at a hospital wherever I end up at, so I'd love to have something to keep me busy/sharp during the summer.

Unfortunately, the summer research fellowships were cut with the new curriculum :(. That one month of summer break is too short for most outside fellowships too. But the good news is that with the new dean being recruited the curriculum may be tweaked so that a two month summer vacation occurs and the research electives are back in place.

Does KCU have mandatory lectures? And do they record lectures for students?

For people who submitted: What does it look like when you log onto the portal? Mine still allows me to click through my app and go to the payment page and pay again, even through I have a receipt from my payment submission from a few days ago.

I got the complete email and I can still click through my application

Does KCU have mandatory lectures? And do they record lectures for students?

The main block is not mandatory attendance. Labs and secondary classes are mandatory. Main block lectures are recorded and posted daily.

Reactions: 2 users
Well the interview tab is gone now. Must have just been an error.

Last edited:
Do they pre-screen secondaries here? I just added them to my school list. I got an email saying they received my application but no secondary yet.

Can any of the current students shed some light on the military medicine track?

Can any of the current students shed some light on the military medicine track?

So essentially you sign up for one of the scholarships through a branch of military. From what I saw all had extra training in disaster medicine, Med/surg cut suit interaction for field trauma, and the majority of branches had to actually leave M1 early to start officer school over the summer. They came back and had to just take the exams they missed.

Many of the professor clinicians here have a background either serving in the military or working in military hospitals (the president of our school was the anesthesiologist for the surgeries of two presidents), so there is a very high respect for those who wish to go through the military for Med school.

There are additional courses and lectures added in the global year 2 schedule strictly for military students. I'm sure they also have dedicate selective/elective time for the military during years three and four. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Did you get that weired promotional email that i thought would be a secondary invite?

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Yeah, I don't really understand why they're trying to sell me on the school, I already applied. Maybe I should send them an email promoting my app..

Yeah, I don't really understand why they're trying to sell me on the school, I already applied. Maybe I should send them an email promoting my app..

They've been sending that email out automatically to just about everyone. Happened to me when I applied.

Hey @AlteredScale ,

I was wondering if you could comment more on the school's locality. I've heard KCUMB's campus is gorgeous, but the surrounding area isn't so hot. Is it dangerous or not really? And do students feel safe walking around at night? Thank You

Maybe I can help @AlteredScale on this one. Dangerous is a bit subjective depending on where you are from, IMO. Yes, the school borders some not so great neighborhoods, but security is really a focus for the school. They have security roaming about campus 24/7, so if you are on campus, including the parking lots, you are safe. Venturing off campus at night can have some risks, similar to any large metro areas. Depending on where you are from, this may be normal for you (as it is for me), or a scary thought.

Maybe I can help @AlteredScale on this one. Dangerous is a bit subjective depending on where you are from, IMO. Yes, the school borders some not so great neighborhoods, but security is really a focus for the school. They have security roaming about campus 24/7, so if you are on campus, including the parking lots, you are safe. Venturing off campus at night can have some risks, similar to any large metro areas. Depending on where you are from, this may be normal for you (as it is for me), or a scary thought.

Thanks snoozer! Yep totally agree with this one. There's one campus parking lot across a public street and in that time you'll come to figure out that the only business one will have there is going to school or walking back to their car or back to CT Apartments. Now what's interesting is the fact that our school is essentially on the border of downtown KC and what would be considered a tougher neighborhood. The school itself already bought out and tore down a motel that was causing a fair amount of crime. Additionally, there's another shady motel on the same intersection of our school that was closed by the KCGov and will be torn down as well. (http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article57112423.html)

So essentially you sign up for one of the scholarships through a branch of military. From what I saw all had extra training in disaster medicine, Med/surg cut suit interaction for field trauma, and the majority of branches had to actually leave M1 early to start officer school over the summer. They came back and had to just take the exams they missed.

Many of the professor clinicians here have a background either serving in the military or working in military hospitals (the president of our school was the anesthesiologist for the surgeries of two presidents), so there is a very high respect for those who wish to go through the military for Med school.

There are additional courses and lectures added in the global year 2 schedule strictly for military students. I'm sure they also have dedicate selective/elective time for the military during years three and four. Hope that helps!

Just a follow up question: do you have to apply to the military scholarship prior to matriculation or that can be done when school starts?

Just a follow up question: do you have to apply to the military scholarship prior to matriculation or that can be done when school starts?

You can do either. Sign up before or they have recruiters at the school as well. :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Look into the HPSP if you have not already. It's actually harder to get a 3 year scholarship vs the 4 year... From what I have heard at least.

@AlteredScale , On the admissions website it says they will accept a supervisor letter in lieu of an academic letter. Can you attest to this? Thanks.

Do most of the students you guys know live within 10 or 15 minutes of the campus? I'm planning on taking a road trip when it isn't 347472 degrees to come walk around and check it out. Also wanting to let my gf see a few of the hospitals so she can get an idea of where she would want to work.

Do most of the students you guys know live within 10 or 15 minutes of the campus? I'm planning on taking a road trip when it isn't 347472 degrees to come walk around and check it out. Also wanting to let my gf see a few of the hospitals so she can get an idea of where she would want to work.

I live 10 minutes away. Most live in CT apartments which is right across the street from the school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Well I have received conflicting information on this...

I see. Well I wouldn't know enough to give you a 100% confident "yes this is true". I'm sure if it's on the webpage that it'd be allowed but if suspect it's probably much more preferred to get an academic letter unless you've been out of school for years then they'd consider it but I'm not totally certain.

Best thing to do is call the admissions folk and ask them. They're amazing people and very friendly (I know y'all are watching this thread! ;))

I have so far only received an automated "transaction receipt" verifying my payment. Is there going to be a "application complete" email sent out after some time?

When all of you guys start coming for interviews, y'all should pick suit colors other than black!

Is this something that you think would be looked upon favorably? lol.

Last edited:
Look into the HPSP if you have not already. It's actually harder to get a 3 year scholarship vs the 4 year... From what I have heard at least.

For the 4-year scholarship, I would have to apply prior to matriculation to meet the deadline. For now, I'm considering the Navy HPSP.

When all of you guys start coming for interviews, y'all should pick suit colors other than black!

If I get an invite, I'm going to get a tie that has the school's colors.

OK, I finally got an application complete email.

Last edited: