Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got that about a week before receiving my secondary. If its been a week, I would. Can't hurt!

Just called and they said they are short staffed and are way behind. Hope this eases anyone's fears if they haven't received any correspondence

Members don't see this ad.

After the primary is verified, do not expect a secondary for 6 WEEKS. The office is small and they heavily select at all rounds.

When do you think we'll start hearing about interviews???

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email this morning that said Kcumb is processing my secondary. I submitted it 9 days ago and also sent my letters of rec. It's looking like it will take a bit of time to process everyone's apps so I think interviews will be a little delayed. School started this week and I'm sure admissions is slammed with apps so don't freak out if you haven't heard anything

Got my "we got you secondary" email this morning. At least the ball is rolling. :)

The more I'm learning about this school, the more I'm falling in love with it :love:

i never got a "we received your supplemental" email =(
I submitted 8/1/13

Me too....seems like a great school. Only part that is a small negative for me is location.....

Far away from home? I grew up in Kansas City and I love it here. I don't think I could pick a better location for medical school. KC is a big city with a small town feel. We have Pro football, baseball and soccer teams. Plenty of shopping. Hardly any traffic. Lots of bars and great restaurants. Weather can be pretty crazy here but other than that it's a perfect location for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Far away from home? I grew up in Kansas City and I love it here. I don't think I could pick a better location for medical school. KC is a big city with a small town feel. We have Pro football, baseball and soccer teams. Plenty of shopping. Hardly any traffic. Lots of bars and great restaurants. Weather can be pretty crazy here but other than that it's a perfect location for school.

How's the cost of living? how much would it cost me to rent a 2BR apartment?

Cost of living is going to be way cheaper here than in most big cities. We have 3 medical schools and numerous universities so there are plenty of housing areas that are structured towards student life. As far as a two bedroom apartment goes, it's really going to depend on what part you live in. Kansas city is huge as far as land area goes. The plaza is about 10 minutes from campus and it's a very upscale ritzy shopping/ bar district that is pretty expensive( 2 bedroom probably starts at 600 for a crappy place but most likely closer to 800-900 and up). Westport is another bar district that is cheaper than the plaza. There are a bunch of options for lofts and townhomes in downtown kc as well as north of the river. My friends that live downtown in a nice area called Quality Hill pay about $900 for a very nice 2 bedroom that comes with a washer and dryer as well as a parking spot. You can find very cheap options (4-500) as well as expensive ones, but in comparison to other big cities Kansas City has a very low cost of living.

Last edited by a moderator:

I live in Des Moines...grew up in Iowa. My husband is from Lenexa...so no, it's not too far....it's just I don't know that area of KC well and I've heard it's a "older" neighborhood where the school actually is located....I love KC...the plaza and the shopping and KC will have an ikea next year.

It's more just my lack of knowledge of that part of town and the driving downtown possibly during rush hour/late at night.... :)

I live in Des Moines...grew up in Iowa. My husband is from Lenexa...so no, it's not too far....it's just I don't know that area of KC well and I've heard it's a "older" neighborhood where the school actually is located....I love KC...the plaza and the shopping and KC will have an ikea next year.

It's more just my lack of knowledge of that part of town and the driving downtown possibly during rush hour/late at night.... :)

I finished the masters program in July and I didn't live downtown. I drove about 20 minutes to school everyday. If I go to Kcumb I will probably live near the plaza or in quality hill/library district. Kcumb is on the corner of the paseo and independence in a pretty shady area of town. Campus is gated and has Kcumb security that carry guns as well as kc police in cars and on bikes on site every day. I never felt like I was in danger on campus. That being said, I would not want to live right by campus. If you go towards the city about 3 blocks towards river market it gets a lot safer. It's about a five minute drive from down town to campus so it's not bad at all.

I finished the masters program in July and I didn't live downtown. I drove about 20 minutes to school everyday. If I go to Kcumb I will probably live near the plaza or in quality hill/library district. Kcumb is on the corner of the paseo and independence in a pretty shady area of town. Campus is gated and has Kcumb security that carry guns as well as kc police in cars and on bikes on site every day. I never felt like I was in danger on campus. That being said, I would not want to live right by campus. If you go towards the city about 3 blocks towards river market it gets a lot safer. It's about a five minute drive from down town to campus so it's not bad at all.

Well, that makes me feel better. Good to know its gated and that there is security all the time. :)

And yeah we wouldn't live by campus. We'd probably live closer to my husband's old stomping grounds....hahaha.

Just submitted the secondary. Didn't pay the fee though because I have a fee waiver and was wondering if they would waive my application fee. I emailed them a copy of the email that shows I'm a fee waiver recipient. Hopefully that would suffice. I will call them tomorrow too, just to be sure. What do you guys think?

Just submitted the secondary. Didn't pay the fee though because I have a fee waiver and was wondering if they would waive my application fee. I emailed them a copy of the email that shows I'm a fee waiver recipient. Hopefully that would suffice. I will call them tomorrow too, just to be sure. What do you guys think?

When I e-mailed them they informed me that I only needed to send a copy of the e-mail showing I received the Fee Waiver... so you should be in the clear.

When I e-mailed them they informed me that I only needed to send a copy of the e-mail showing I received the Fee Waiver... so you should be in the clear.

But did you pay the fee and they refunded you? or did you submit your application without paying the fee?

But did you pay the fee and they refunded you? or did you submit your application without paying the fee?

No it was not necessary to pay, they said they would apply it to your app. I got an e-mail today saying they are processing my secondary.

I got an email from them entitled 'Learn more about KCUMB' but nothing about a secondary. Anyone else in a similar boat, or receive this email? Should I wait for another email with secondary information?

Thanks!

I got an email from them entitled 'Learn more about KCUMB' but nothing about a secondary. Anyone else in a similar boat, or receive this email? Should I wait for another email with secondary information?

Thanks!

My fiance got that email also from KCUMB but not the secondary yet. I saw earlier on the thread that the school is running behind.

My fiance got that email also from KCUMB but not the secondary yet. I saw earlier on the thread that the school is running behind.

Oh, OK. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the secondary text somewhere in there. Thanks!

I'm so sorry! Did NOT get the secondary app -- it's the same info letter everyone else is getting. I apologize for the false alarm and any angst it may have caused!

Hey everyone. I saw there are a couple of other first years on this thread but if you have any additional questions, dont hesitate to shoot me a PM. Class just started this week but I'll do my best to help in anyway I can. Last year, this was immensely helpful for me as well.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat! The school is apparently behind, although in my case it may be that I didn't take the MCAT until June 20 so my scores were sent later than some other applicants.

Because I live in Kansas City, do you think admins would give me a better chance of acceptance? My stats are good thus far, I'm just wondering if this happens.

Because I live in Kansas City, do you think admins would give me a better chance of acceptance? My stats are good thus far, I'm just wondering if this happens.

Being a local resident might actually help. Probably the best strategy is to tell the Admissions Committee that after you graduate you want to practice osteopathic family medicine locally and support the local osteopathic community. The school has relatively little local support. Having allies (local DOs) would be very helpful to the school.

If a local student tells the Admissions Committee that they want to become a DO researcher in psychoneuroimmunology and work in Boston, being local will probably not be advantageous.

Unfortunately, living in Kansas City probably won't help you much at all getting an acceptance. It can most definitely help you answer the question "why do you want to go to Kcumb" or help you connect on a personal level during an interview, but other than that it is not going to be much of a factor. KCUMB is a privately funded medical school. If it were a public state school, your state of residence would be a much bigger deal

This waiting to hear something is killing me....argh.

This waiting to hear something is killing me....argh.

I was looking on last years forum and it looks like the first round of interiews went out on 8/15 and then again on 8/20. It should be right about that time that they will be sending the first invites out. Also it seems like they sent invites on Mondays and Wednesdays. Who really knows though.

I was looking on last years forum and it looks like the first round of interiews went out on 8/15 and then again on 8/20. It should be right about that time that they will be sending the first invites out. Also it seems like they sent invites on Mondays and Wednesdays. Who really knows though.

Yeah. I still haven't received the complete and under review email. I submitted 8/1

LOL. I still haven't received a secondary invite or rejection. Still wondering when that's going to happen.

Just applied... probably won't make the deadlines..

3.79 uGPA; 3.58 sGPA
MCAT: September
Student Body President + more leadership
5000+ hours as an ER Tech with numerous D.O.s for three years concurrently in college
1 yr of research in Immunology at top MO medical school
Tons of ECs, academic and private scholarships, and missionary work

Not sure if this matters, but I have 16+ plus credit hours of upper Bio (Cancer Bio, Immunology, Genetics, Biochemistry etc...) as well as calculus based statistics.

Too late in the game?

Last edited:
You are fine. You will have to submit your primary before you get your scores back though. (If you don't you won't be able to submit your secondary until after Christmas.)

Just applied... probably won't make the deadlines..

3.79 uGPA; 3.58 sGPA
MCAT: September
Student Body President + more leadership
5000+ hours as an ER Tech with numerous D.O.s for three years concurrently in college
1 yr of research in Immunology at top MO medical school
Tons of ECs, academic and private scholarships, and missionary work

Not sure if this matters, but I have 16+ plus credit hours of upper Bio (Cancer Bio, Immunology, Genetics, Biochemistry etc...) as well as calculus based statistics.

Too late in the game?
A tad late, if you don't do well on the mcat. 24-25 = probably too late. 26-27+ = average shot. 28+ = very good chance. If you really crush the mcat you could even wait a year and apply to md schools. Everything else looks great. Good luck.

I'm applying via TMDSAS to Texas MD schools as well. Essentially, I'm twenty five years old, married, and ready to begin this process sooner rather than later. So, I've decided to apply late this year just to see what happens, hoping I snag a bite and save myself another year.

I'm applying via TMDSAS to Texas MD schools as well. Essentially, I'm twenty five years old, married, and ready to begin this process sooner rather than later. So, I've decided to apply late this year just to see what happens, hoping I snag a bite and save myself another year.

you are not late...kcumb has a late process and interviews all the way til april don't let sdn fool you its still early in the process with kcumb (interview invites havent even gone out) my best friend in my class literally was the last interview of the last day kcumb did for the year in april and i believe there was 1 or 2 people in the 2017 class who was accepted off waitlist a week before orientation started

Great news, thanks. Do they distribute secondary applications for certain applicants, despite a pending MCAT? So, based on everything above, would they wait until my MCAT for a secondary or possibly send one out based on what they see so far?

Rejected because of stats(prob Gpa).

3.3/29. Terrific ECs