Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love KCUMB, but UK med all the way. It will be easier in the long run.

Edit: unless you know for certain you want to do something non-competitive. You would also be saving 15000 a year! That is a ton.

Word, I love KCUMB too but I would pick KU Med in a heart beat.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Either. More UMKC since it's closer.

That's a fantastic question that I don't have and answer for.

I'm not really a research person so I have no idea.

I know a lot of our graduates go there and the KU Med facilities look absolutely amazing.

39th-street-overpass.jpg

That's a fantastic question that I don't have and answer for.

I'm not really a research person so I have no idea.

I know a lot of our graduates go there and the KU Med facilities look absolutely amazing.

39th-street-overpass.jpg

Wow that's amazing! Is that a decent distance away from KCUMB?

UMKC is like 3 miles away and KU Med is like 6. I had to drive down there today and it took about 12 minutes going south on I-35.

Hey really silly/noobish question, but KCUMB does not have a gross anatomy course correct? Thats the idea behind systems is that you burn through the anatomy as it is presented with the rest of the system related material... right?

No like 4 week crash course in all the anatomy that you would need to know for all of med school, right?

Hey really silly/noobish question, but KCUMB does not have a gross anatomy course correct? Thats the idea behind systems is that you burn through the anatomy as it is presented with the rest of the system related material... right?

No like 4 week crash course in all the anatomy that you would need to know for all of med school, right?

Well, it's spread out but we do have a Musculoskeletal (MSK) block. In MSK we mostly covered the upper and lower extremities.

In CP we just took a practical on the Thorax (class average was 93% btw!)

Well, it's spread out but we do have a Musculoskeletal (MSK) block. In MSK we mostly covered the upper and lower extremities.

In CP we just took a practical on the Thorax (class average was 93% btw!)
Again just out of curiosity... if it is spread out over the whole year then, how do yall keep the cadavers good for that long? Or would you get a new cadaver in the spring?

So like would yall do the anatomy (like the physical dissections) for MSK, cardiopulm, and gas in the fall? And then like renal and neuro and the rest in the spring?

Again just out of curiosity... if it is spread out over the whole year then, how do yall keep the cadavers good for that long? Or would you get a new cadaver in the spring?

So like would yall do the anatomy (like the physical dissections) for MSK, cardiopulm, and gas in the fall? And then like renal and neuro and the rest in the spring?

We have had the same cadaver for MSK and CP. I believe the 2nd years used them for their Neuro block too in the beginning of the year.

You just have to properly maintain them. If the faculty finds out you haven't been taking care of the bodies then you get some really mean tags on the practical. One body was dried out so badly that the dorsalis pedis artery looked like a tendon. Some didn't follow it down and tagged it as a tendon of a muscle. Hey, if you let the body dry out then they will do that to you.

I'm not sure if we get a new body starting next year.

My undergrad U uses the same bodies for four years so I doubt that this is a problem :)

Members don't see this ad :)

For the (non human) anatomy class in UG I took, you made sure to mist them, but not too much. Too much = mold, not enough = jerky. Certain groups wound up having to saw off moldy portions.... Also, isn't the curriculum posted on the website, http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/curriculum/course-descriptions/ ? If that is any help to you.

We have had the same cadaver for MSK and CP. I believe the 2nd years used them for their Neuro block too in the beginning of the year.

You just have to properly maintain them. If the faculty finds out you haven't been taking care of the bodies then you get some really mean tags on the practical. One body was dried out so badly that the dorsalis pedis artery looked like a tendon. Some didn't follow it down and tagged it as a tendon of a muscle. Hey, if you let the body dry out then they will do that to you.

I'm not sure if we get a new body starting next year.

We do not get new bodies for spring. Which is why there is a "what do we do for neuro for the 1st years?" Anatomy lab question happening since that was already dissected out by the 2nd years. Ha!

Just waiting for the DO I asked to write my letter.... Really excited to have my application be complete.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I think LECOM-B does it in like 10-12 weeks or something. I think Western U does it all at once too.
Yea this was sort of what brought up my original question... I was wondering if they try and cram it all in within the first couple of months. But I think I understand how KCUMB does it a little better now.

Is the general consensus that they decide on II or not within 1-1.5 months from being complete? Anyone still complete from like july-august and not hearing anything?

Reason I ask is because I have seen many less, if any, people say they have been waiting since July-August to hear on this thread as opposed to others. Yet I don't recall reading of any rejections either so would guess that there probably is many still waiting?

Last edited:
Hey all,

When you got your acceptance email how long did it take for you to get the "additional info" email. I'm trying to figure out when my deposit will likely be due so that I can get some finances worked out.

Hey all,

When you got your acceptance email how long did it take for you to get the "additional info" email. I'm trying to figure out when my deposit will likely be due so that I can get some finances worked out.

Search "KCUMB Matriculated Students" and you should come across all the important info!

ACCEPTED!! interviewed on 11/13 :D :D :D

Reactions: 4 users
My undergrad U uses the same bodies for four years so I doubt that this is a problem :)

4 years?? WUT?

BF just got in here. Deciding between KCUMB and KU Med...

If he's a Kansas resident, KU for sure. Save the money. Honestly though, if I weren't a Kansas resident I'd be more conflicted on KU vs. KCUMB than others have said. IMO, our students/curriculum are probably pretty on par with KU. I think the biggest draw for going to KU is that they have some sweet facilities for rotations and solid residency programs. Which would make a huge difference if KU's residency programs didn't love KCUMB students as much as they supposedly do. The other thing is obviously the stupid stigma of being a DO vs. an MD. So if that matters or you think it will, KU is still the way to go. Realistically though, if you want to specialize I think it's actually easier to do as a DO sometimes than it is as an MD. Unless you want Plastics or something like that, but if that's the case neither place is really going to fit the bill...

IMO, it really comes down to who is going to prepare you for boards better. KU's most recent average for Step 1 was 219. KCUMB's average was 217 in 2012, so not much of a difference there. Just food for thought on the stats, but it really comes down to where he feels more comfortable. If you don't mind me asking, where do you go?

4 years?? WUT?

If he's a Kansas resident, KU for sure. Save the money. Honestly though, if I weren't a Kansas resident I'd be more conflicted on KU vs. KCUMB than others have said. IMO, our students/curriculum are probably pretty on par with KU. I think the biggest draw for going to KU is that they have some sweet facilities for rotations and solid residency programs. Which would make a huge difference if KU's residency programs didn't love KCUMB students as much as they supposedly do. The other thing is obviously the stupid stigma of being a DO vs. an MD. So if that matters or you think it will, KU is still the way to go. Realistically though, if you want to specialize I think it's actually easier to do as a DO sometimes than it is as an MD. Unless you want Plastics or something like that, but if that's the case neither place is really going to fit the bill...

IMO, it really comes down to who is going to prepare you for boards better. KU's most recent average for Step 1 was 219. KCUMB's average was 217 in 2012, so not much of a difference there. Just food for thought on the stats, but it really comes down to where he feels more comfortable. If you don't mind me asking, where do you go?

I thought our average was a bit higher. Something in the 220 or 225 area.

Also, are you sure that KU score isn't from a few years ago?

The Class of 2007 scored a 98 percent pass rate, compared to the national average of 93 percent. In addition, the KU medical students' average score of 219 topped the national average of 217.

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!! interviewed on 11/13 :D :D :D

Congrats!! I also interviewed on that day so I'm hoping to hear back soon. Did KCUMB a send you an email with your decision or call?

Congrats!! I also interviewed on that day so I'm hoping to hear back soon. Did KCUMB a send you an email with your decision or call?

I interviewed that day too! I'm hoping to hear back soon as well

I thought our average was a bit higher. Something in the 220 or 225 area.

Also, are you sure that KU score isn't from a few years ago?

Our average is a bit higher, that was apparently our average 2-3 years ago. I think Dougherty said it was 224 or 226 in his residency presentation, but I can't remember. It was definitely above 220. Touché on Kansas though, I didn't see the 2007 part. I found this link for their 2013 goals though: https://boldaspirations.ku.edu/site...edu/files/docs/strategic_plan_update_2013.pdf

If you search for USMLE in the document (it's only mentioned once), they say their school average is 'just below the national line'. The average for step 1 was 228 in 2013, so we're pretty much at the same level as KU in terms of step 1 scores.

Our average is a bit higher, that was apparently our average 2-3 years ago. I think Dougherty said it was 224 or 226 in his residency presentation, but I can't remember. It was definitely above 220. Touché on Kansas though, I didn't see the 2007 part. I found this link for their 2013 goals though: https://boldaspirations.ku.edu/site...edu/files/docs/strategic_plan_update_2013.pdf

If you search for USMLE in the document (it's only mentioned once), they say their school average is 'just below the national line'. The average for step 1 was 228 in 2013, so we're pretty much at the same level as KU in terms of step 1 scores.

I think someone in class of 2016 scored a 269. I saw it on a board where they have statistics on board scores in the offices in SEP.

When is the white coat ceremony/start date for KCUMB class of 2019?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an acceptance call off the wait list. That was quick lol

Reactions: 4 users
Got a call today, Accepted off of the wait list.... I don't think it has hit me yet. See you in the Fall friends :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm guessing that they're really keeping true to the done by Winter.

Got a call today, Accepted off of the wait list.... I don't think it has hit me yet. See you in the Fall friends :)
Haha it kind if caught me off guard, I was taking that wait list as a polite rejection

Based on your icon, I think we're already off to a good start! Haha. Congrats on the acceptance and see you in the fall!

Haha it kind if caught me off guard, I was taking that wait list as a polite rejection

Same! I kept updating admissions though about why I wanted to attend and thankfully they got me off the wait list pretty quickly!

Based on your icon, I think we're already off to a good start! Haha. Congrats on the acceptance and see you in the fall!

Well hey, I appreciate your appreciation of good icons! See ya in the fall !

Congrats everyone! And remember there is hope on the wait list, don't give up!

Question for any of the current students. I know during the interview there was mention of a 2 month break after year 2, with a Kaplan test prep course for part one provided by the school. Is the prep course for USMLE step one or COMLEX step one?

Last edited:
II Jan 22. Yay!! This is my favorite school. The only other option was in late March. I wonder if they will add more slots.