Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They spent weeks on the research and about 2-3 hours a day rehearsing. Dubin wants them to know the details of that case on the level of a fellow. Plus we already had GI before winter break.
Gotcha, that is comforting. So its not like any of y'all could just walts up there and start talking about any case heh... So I imagine it is more about learning the format of presenting and the major details of cases that you should consider then? (differentials, treatments, ethics, etc).

That seems more realistic and manageable then. I mean its pretty amazing and exciting thinking about how much we will learn, but its also scary to think about.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, pretty sure I forgot to tell them lol... Oh well! It's all done with, just gotta go get it read Friday.

I thought they were doing TB tests at orientation? Are we supposed to get tested for it beforehand?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I interviewed here, got the free t-shirt, got waitlisted, got accepted somewhere else and withdrew my application, however, I proceeded to wear the t-shirt to the gym with a zip up hoodie, and I will never live it down. BEWARE the K and B get covered by the sweatshirt and thus you are wandering around in a shirt that says "CUM." Great school but they should change their name back. Anyways just thought it was a funny story, good luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
Well I interviewed here, got the free t-shirt, got waitlisted, got accepted somewhere else and withdrew my application, however, I proceeded to wear the t-shirt to the gym with a zip up hoodie, and I will never live it down. BEWARE the K and B get covered by the sweatshirt and thus you are wandering around in a shirt that says "CUM." Great school but they should change their name back. Anyways just thought it was a funny story, good luck to you all!

Are you talking about the grey shirt w/ orange letters?

People are still wearing those into first year.

I know the feels. I told someone I was going to medical school there and they gave this weird look and ran away.

Probably another reason why there was a brand change.

Ya'll cracked me up. Im so glad they're in the process of changing it.

I never wear my shirt for that very reason! I thought I was the only one who noticed, haha

I was the last to interview on my day so all they had left was a small I think. At 6'2" and 230 lbs I wasnt going to try and squeeze into it, so the wife snagged it haha. So thankfully I havent had to deal with the sexual innuendo heh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean those students are what, technically through 5-5.5 months of school? Even the vocabulary is completely different.

Or is everyone just completely comfortable with this haha?

Its reminds me once I was talking to a podiatrist I worked for. I asked one of the pods "in your career (particularly as a student before hand) did you ever feel like you couldnt learn/memorize it all?" and she was like "nope, I have never felt like that in my life." Like WTF haha... not human?

You get the case journal article, some supplemental information to review about 2 weeks prior to your presentation day.
Then you research the hell out of it and put together the presentation.
My group presented to dr Dubin probably 4 times before the real deal. We also had multiple faculty members assist us in our research and listen to us give our presentation before we went live. Lol.

It's stressful, but you get help and most generally everyone in the group wants to do well so everyone works hard. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was the last to interview on my day so all they had left was a small I think. At 6'2" and 230 lbs I wasnt going to try and squeeze into it, so the wife snagged it haha. So thankfully I havent had to deal with the sexual innuendo heh.

Just so everyone knows. I took the last large that day..so I'm sorry awesome. Owe you a beer in July.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Gotcha, that is comforting. So its not like any of y'all could just walts up there and start talking about any case heh... So I imagine it is more about learning the format of presenting and the major details of cases that you should consider then? (differentials, treatments, ethics, etc).

That seems more realistic and manageable then. I mean its pretty amazing and exciting thinking about how much we will learn, but its also scary to think about.

Exactly. Plus, like @Eremba said, you meet with the faculty to get tips before you present (at least 3-4 times if your group doesn't have a deathwish) so they tell you if you're on the right track, if you're missing stuff, if you're including things that are irrelevant, if you suck at speaking, etc.

It's also tough because, like you said, we don't really do much patho until second year, so while the physio was pretty easy (for our presentation at least), parts of the patho was like learning a whole new language. I'd also say that depending what you do in the group the stress level can vary. If you're a researcher, you do a ton of work/studying early but don't have to worry about as much later (other than answering questions). As a presenter you don't have to do as much research early on (you still have to understand everything, just not find it) but then you get to speak in front of 250+ people, including physicians invited as guests. Probably gonna give away my identity, but I was a speaker during the last set and wasn't worried about it at all early on because I've presented to large groups before. This was on a whole other level imo, even from presenting a thesis and I think it showed in my presentation.

Exactly. Plus, like @Eremba said, you meet with the faculty to get tips before you present (at least 3-4 times if your group doesn't have a deathwish) so they tell you if you're on the right track, if you're missing stuff, if you're including things that are irrelevant, if you suck at speaking, etc.

It's also tough because, like you said, we don't really do much patho until second year, so while the physio was pretty easy (for our presentation at least), parts of the patho was like learning a whole new language. I'd also say that depending what you do in the group the stress level can vary. If you're a researcher, you do a ton of work/studying early but don't have to worry about as much later (other than answering questions). As a presenter you don't have to do as much research early on (you still have to understand everything, just not find it) but then you get to speak in front of 250+ people, including physicians invited as guests. Probably gonna give away my identity, but I was a speaker during the last set and wasn't worried about it at all early on because I've presented to large groups before. This was on a whole other level imo, even from presenting a thesis and I think it showed in my presentation.
So wait you can come to an agreement with your group about who presents and who does the heavy research? That's interesting and cool and I think allows for people to play to their strengths. I was wondering about that... I had to jump in and out because I was at work but it seemed like not everyone presented. Now things make more sense heh.

So wait you can come to an agreement with your group about who presents and who does the heavy research? That's interesting and cool and I think allows for people to play to their strengths. I was wondering about that... I had to jump in and out because I was at work but it seemed like not everyone presented. Now things make more sense heh.

Yep, only 3 people present. Everyone else is in charge of doing research and putting the slides together. During the presentation they look up answers to questions the audience submits and then just read them off to the audience. I ended up presenting because I said I'd do whatever and no one else wanted to, but you decide as a group who does what.

Yep, only 3 people present. Everyone else is in charge of doing research and putting the slides together. During the presentation they look up answers to questions the audience submits and then just read them off to the audience. I ended up presenting because I said I'd do whatever and no one else wanted to, but you decide as a group who does what.
I'm hoping there are some gunners in my group that want to present. I'm not the best public speaker.
It was kind of funny how Dr. Dubin wants the poor presenters to present considering how he tore one of the first groups a new pooper.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping there are some gunners in my group that want to present. I'm not the best public speaker.
It was kind of funny how Dr. Dubin wants the poor presenters to present considering how he tore one of the first groups a new pooper.

From what I heard they didn't get destroyed because of their speakers though. They got torn apart because they didn't meet with faculty until a day or two before they presented and they only met with them once. Comparing the content of their presentation to the first two groups was night and day too. I think A.T. Still could have been the presenter and still gotten run off the podium...

Whoah what did he do??

From what I heard they didn't get destroyed because of their speakers though. They got torn apart because they didn't meet with faculty until a day or two before they presented and they only met with them once. Comparing the content of their presentation to the first two groups was night and day too. I think A.T. Still could have been the presenter and still gotten run off the podium...
Well with my clinical knowledge at that time (and now for that matter) they could have been talking about Dr Seuss book in pig latin for all I know.
I didn't know that about them not meeting and preparing so that makes sense. It's sounding like it is quite the time commitment.

Whoah what did he do??

Told them to stop talking 1/2 year into their presentation and that every one should go home. It was embarrassing.

I was one of the very first groups to present and you could tell by their powerpoint everything was thrown together.

Dubin respects you only if you bust your ass.

Told them to stop talking 1/2 year into their presentation and that every one should go home. It was embarrassing.

I was one of the very first groups to present and you could tell by their powerpoint everything was thrown together.

Dubin respects you only if you bust your ass.
*Shivers* Well, to be honest I enjoy the rush of pulling off a challenging project but from the sound of this I may need to bring a tissue box on stage with me

*Shivers* Well, to be honest I enjoy the rush of pulling off a challenging project but from the sound of this I may need to bring a tissue box on stage with me

I've been watching some of the grand rounds online and it seems like he doesn't have a "mean" tone but more of a "stern" one. Like he comes across rude but he doesn't see it that way, which is a double-edge sword IMO.

Thats so weird they didnt just take a blood test for TB while they were testing your other titers?

The blood test for TB is extremely expensive. They always try a PPD first, than x-Ray and finally blood test if they really need too.

This happened to me at a restaurant lol

:O did you do the TB blood test as well? That's way more expensive than I gained haha. Hopefully insurance will cover most of it!
...this is after insurance and I didn't do the TB blood test...tests included:

-Hepatitis B Surface Antibody
-Varicella
-Rubella
-Mumps
-Rubeola

Currently getting the HPV shots...more bill to come yay

...this is after insurance and I didn't do the TB blood test...tests included:

-Hepatitis B Surface Antibody
-Varicella
-Rubella
-Mumps
-Rubeola

Currently getting the HPV shots...more bill to come yay

Wow! That's insane xD

Wow! That's insane xD
SO thankful I am working during my gap year!! Thought I just need to make enough for the application process...then LOANS. But I am beginning to realize from now til school I will have to spend a lot more $$$...maybe I should do a bake sale soon

SO thankful I am working during my gap year!! Thought I just need to make enough for the application process...then LOANS. But I am beginning to realize from now til school I will have to spend a lot more $$$...maybe I should do a bake sale soon

I feel you haha. I've been working since September and while I've managed to save some money, a good amount has definitely gone towards preparing for school/applications and such.

...................................................................................................

Last edited:
I interviewed in Jan. Does this mean we are competing for a waitlist? I read from years past KCU screens heavily pre-interview so you have a pretty good shot in acceptance (>80%) once you get the II. Is this no longer true? The wait is killing me.

Also, do we get the decision via email, mail, or phone?
As far as I know if they offer an interview it is for a spot. But I do think that that 80% is indicative of the average for the entire cycle. I know for sure that early on it was like dang near everyone getting accepted, then around November it dropped a lot.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was something along the lines of:
Sept - was like 90%
Oct - 80%
Nov - 70%
Dec - 50%
Jan 40%
Maybe even a little less? With an overall average of like 80% or something. I just remember watching the trends throughout the past few months in this thread.

Also you will hear via email, make sure to check your spam as well. It will probably take between 1 and 4 weeks, with the average being around 15 days or something.

I interviewed in Jan. Does this mean we are competing for a waitlist? I read from years past KCU screens heavily pre-interview so you have a pretty good shot in acceptance (>80%) once you get the II. Is this no longer true? The wait is killing me.

Also, do we get the decision via email, mail, or phone?
I also interviewed in January. I was talking to an admissions director who broke it down like this… They received ~6,000 applications this year (I think) and interviewed ~800. From the 800 interviewed, he said that they accept around 450 to 500. So, yeah roughly 55-60% chance of acceptance.

I also interviewed in January. I was talking to an admissions director who broke it down like this… They received ~6,000 applications this year (I think) and interviewed ~800. From the 800 interviewed, he said that they accept around 450 to 500. So, yeah roughly 55-60% chance of acceptance.
Yea, this year they got a TON more applicants than usual. Earlier in this thread there is actual data on past year's application cycles and it was hovering between like 80-90%. But this year I would not be shocked one bit if it was significantly lower (closer to your numbers).

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, this year they got a TON more applicants than usual. Earlier in this thread there is actual data on past year's application cycles and it was hovering between like 80-90%. But this year I would not be shocked one bit if it was significantly lower (closer to your numbers).
Yeah, the guy who I spoke with definitely acknowledged the intense (~35% increase he said) jump in apps to KCU which ultimately lead to the slightly lower acceptance rate as compared to previous years.

Accepted today Jan 27! Interviewed Thursday Jan 22. They told us that the class is almost full and if you are interviewing this late, you are a top candidate. Will be forfeiting my acceptance to AT Still in favor of KCU. Both great but if anyone would like to know why, I will share. Good luck to all waiting, there is hope.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted today Jan 27! Interviewed Thursday Jan 22. They told us that the class is almost full and if you are interviewing this late, you are a top candidate. Will be forfeiting my acceptance to AT Still in favor of KCU. Both great but if anyone would like to know why, I will share. Good luck to all waiting, there is hope.

Congrats! I applied to AT Still in late November just in case, thankfully my KCU acceptance came before I ever heard back from them. What made you go with KCU?

Congrats! I applied to AT Still in late November just in case, thankfully my KCU acceptance came before I ever heard back from them. What made you go with KCU?

Personally, I feel more strongly about test scores than OMM. KCU is heavy on test prep and ATSU is very OMM. It's just a personal thing, I feel strongly about osteopathic medicine for reasons that don't involve OMM. My ATSU deposit was due next week so I'm grateful this email came quick.