Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can someone explain the group interview plz. is it more like a discussion among the group or does each person answer questions down a line?

Its honestly pretty easy, I thought it would be intimindating because, its so business like, but it was just 6 students and 2 people interviewing you, you get asked questions, and they see how you guys interact in the group. All I can recommend is be honest in your responses, and dont worry about one upping anyone, I was pretty amazed at the stories people had to tell about their medical experiences, I honestly didnt have any, but I talked about my challenges, why its wrong to cheat, why I want to be a DO, and why I think PBL will work for me. Everyone takes turns.. Be respectful, listen to others responses, and then answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off the wait list!!! Thank you God! Interviewed Dec 4th
I interviewed with you and was waitlisted. When I talked to Annette it sounded like they dont tier it. How quickly did you respond back asking to be put on the waitlist?

portal change today. Application will be re-reviewed in 60 days. Bummer..... but better than a rejection.... There is still hope :)
When did you interview?

I was hoping a current student could answer a question regarding PBL. I am aware that the group rotates responsibilities for the session, but when you are a recorder for your PBL group do you get the feeling you're missing material because you're actively recording stuff for the group?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are currently wait listed at one Lecom school and then you interview at another campus and are accepted will that adversely affect your chances to come off the wait list at the first Lecom school?
i asked earlier and i don't know the specifics to your question but they seem like two completely separate admissions committee's that don't contact each other. plenty have been accepted by both, accepted by one and rejected by the other. the only thing i've read so far is that putting down a deposit to hold a seat maybe remove you from the other's admissions process. but i would call

Reactions: 1 user
If you are currently wait listed at one Lecom school and then you interview at another campus and are accepted will that adversely affect your chances to come off the wait list at the first Lecom school?

I think someone on this thread or the Erie thread said they were kicked off the waitlist for accepting the offer from the other campus... I agree ^^^ I would call and ask if I was you.

I would really like an interview at lecom b, but have had no luck so far. I applied early, Fl resident, and I have already been accepted to other schools. Is there anything I can do?

Accepted! Interview 1/11. Thank you so much everyone for answering all of my questions! You guys are the best!!

Reactions: 1 users
For accepted students who are planning to attend LECOM-B there is a Facebook group for the class of 2020. It has been fairly quiet thus far but hopefully it will pickup as more people join and we get closer to summer.

"LECOM Bradenton Class of 2020 (D.O.)"

Accepted! Interview 1/11. Thank you so much everyone for answering all of my questions! You guys are the best!!

Do you know the # to call to see if we were accepted? Mine just says that a decision has been made. Also is the deposit due 30 from now or 30 days from when we get the official letter in the mail? thanks

I didn't know the phone number, so I e-mailed Kimberly instead.

so im in Bradenton for an interview tomorrow and for all future interviewer's; do NOT stay at the Knights Inn Bradenton to save some money. this place is sketchy as **** and on par with the **** motels you see. i would have much rather paid the extra money for the piece of mind and ability to relax. and to people saying they love the area; where i am at right now is total dog**** so idk where the **** you were

Members don't see this ad :)
so im in Bradenton for an interview tomorrow and for all future interviewer's; do NOT stay at the Knights Inn Bradenton to save some money. this place is sketchy as **** and on par with the **** motels you see. i would have much rather paid the extra money for the piece of mind and ability to relax. and to people saying they love the area; where i am at right now is total dog**** so idk where the **** you were
I'm glad you bleeped out all those expletives :thumbup:

But on another note, good luck tomorrow - once you are out of that hotel and see the area around the school you will be more at ease!

omg, so sorry to hear that anktheonc, but good luck on your interview tomorrow! I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, clean and comfy, 79$ per night with the LECOM discount and free breakfast!

I stayed in holiday inn in west bradenton, and it was so nice, the area around the school is so beautiful too lol! Perhaps the hotel was in a sketchy part of Bradenton? But Good LUCK!!

Rejection letter arrived today. Pre-interview. Was complete 11/12. Good luck everyone who's interviewing!

I was hoping a current student could answer a question regarding PBL. I am aware that the group rotates responsibilities for the session, but when you are a recorder for your PBL group do you get the feeling you're missing material because you're actively recording stuff for the group?
This is my first post here in a long time! Anyways, the group rotates at will with most facilitators. Some of them assign roles at the start of each session. To be honest, I really do feel like I miss material when I scribe. It's A LOT harder to understand the progression of the case when you have to write down everything of importance your group says, every chapter your group assigns, relevant case material etc...... It's one of the downsides of PBL. You just have to bite the bullet or urge your group to take detailed notes. I hope this helps at least somewhat in your decision. :)

This is my first post here in a long time! Anyways, the group rotates at will with most facilitators. Some of them assign roles at the start of each session. To be honest, I really do feel like I miss material when I scribe. It's A LOT harder to understand the progression of the case when you have to write down everything of importance your group says, every chapter your group assigns, relevant case material etc...... It's one of the downsides of PBL. You just have to bite the bullet or urge your group to take detailed notes. I hope this helps at least somewhat in your decision. :)
Hey! Could to talk to us a little bit about how much time you spend at school/what days your group meets? Trying to find out if you meet on days where you are already at the school for anatomy lab or OMM or are you more likely there 5 days a week?

I interviewed with you and was waitlisted. When I talked to Annette it sounded like they dont tier it. How quickly did you respond back asking to be put on the waitlist?

When did you interview?
I interviewed dec 4th and I sent them a letter of intent and a new LOR and they called me the next day and offered me a spot

Noted haha. I have family who lives in Tampa (apparently 15-20 minutes from the airport). Would it be reasonable to stay with them and drive out to my interview in the morning? Anyone know what kind of traffic I'll hit driving out of Tampa in the AM? I think its around 45 miles or so. Thanks!

Noted haha. I have family who lives in Tampa (apparently 15-20 minutes from the airport). Would it be reasonable to stay with them and drive out to my interview in the morning? Anyone know what kind of traffic I'll hit driving out of Tampa in the AM? I think its around 45 miles or so. Thanks!

Definitely stay with the family, and save money, go an 1.5 hours earlier than your interview, tampa is about 45 minutes away from Bradenton, I hung out in Tampa for the night and it was 45 minutes away

Tampa (USF area) is about 45 min to 1 hour from LECOM. Airport is a little closer to LECOM. It's definitely doable - I drove from Orlando to LECOM the morning of the interview. I would just give yourself an hour and 30 minutes for the 45 minutes it usually takes to get there incase there is a crash somewhere on the road or some morning traffic. If you're there early just sit in your car or something before going in! I was there 45 minutes early and just chilled in my car for a little before going in 20 minutes earlier than the asked time. Goodluck!

Can anyone comment on the LGBT community in Bradenton and in the school in general? Are they discriminatory?

Hi guys, Can anybody post the email address where I can contact them regarding status? I have [email protected] but is there anyone who I can specifically contact for FL campus only? Thanks!

I stayed in Tampa before my interview and got there with no traffic! It was a nice drive over the sunshine skyway. I would take in to consideration traffic before you, leave it can be a beast sometimes.

I had that same status and I just got an interview yesterday, so no, it doesn't mean rejection :)

Did you get an interview right after the 60 days? I got the same thing, but its been over 60 days and still haven't heard anything...

Did you get an interview right after the 60 days? I got the same thing, but its been over 60 days and still haven't heard anything...
1. I went to USF as well :)
2. I'm not really sure how accurate it was down to the day, I think it might have been over the 60 day mark though

You stayed far away from the school, in the worst area of Bradenton... I'm not surprised you had an awful experience. 14th street is right next to the street you were on and our anatomy professor makes fun of that street constantly. "John Smith was stabbed in his armpit on 14th street...what artery was most likely severed?" I never have any reason to go to that area.

Most facilitators allow you to figure out what works best for your group. You don't need to write down every single thing someone says so you can still participate in the group discussion. The only difference is that you won't be able to flip through your books as much, but pages that people are referencing should be recorded so you can look at it later. It hasn't been a problem for me.

Can anyone comment on the LGBT community in Bradenton and in the school in general? Are they discriminatory?

Bradenton is a relatively small city with a large elderly population. It probably isn't the most open community out there. I would imagine that there is a bigger community in St. Pete and Tampa. From a quick google search, it seems that Erie has gay/straight diversity allegiance, but I'm not sure if Bradenton does (if we do, it's not very advertised). We are a small school so unfortunately we don't have the variety of organizations that larger schools with an undergrad school have. However, the student body is very friendly and I don't know of anyone who would make an LGBT classmate feel unwelcome. I'm sure you could try starting a student organization if we don't already have one and you are interested.

interviewed 1/15. they said that the class is about half full. an earlier interview puts you in a better position in regards to waitlist/competitiveness. waitlist is not ranked yet, but it will be around March-ish, and they have a lot of movement. Once the portal changes online, you can call in and ask over the phone.

1. I went to USF as well :)
2. I'm not really sure how accurate it was down to the day, I think it might have been over the 60 day mark though

Thank you for the reply! *Go Bulls!!!! :)
Im hoping I hear some good news soon. I sent in 2 more LOR in case that helps

Called in today after portal changed to decision has been made. Placed on the alternate list, they told me to keep in touch

I emailed and they said the admissions committee meets to review every 90 days. So not sure why my portal said I will be rereviewed in 60 days... since that passed I decided to email and Annette said to wait for the 90 days (which will be feb 1) unless I happen to be notified before then.

To answer the question about the scriber during PBL from my own personal experience.

By the end of the semester everyone should have been scribe 1-2 times, we rotate. Either we decide amongst ourselves who is scribing before the session starts, or the facilitator picks someone who hasn't done it yet. At first I felt like I was missing out a bit when I scribed, eventually you get a feel for what's important and what's not, so you'll write less on the board.

Overall I have to say you don't miss out, so I wouldn't worry about it. This isn't a school that spoon feeds information, there are very little lectures here, besides your initial 10 week crash course of anatomy S1 and mini courses here and there. You are responsible for learning. It's on you. You learn very very little during the PBL session itself, so I wouldn't worry much about what you get out of those 2 hours x 3 per week. You are expected to read 8-9 hours a day, that's where you learn what you need to learn for the boards.

When I first came here I scoffed and thought I was smart and didn't need to read 8 hours a day, and boy was it a humbling experience. This isn't undergrad anymore where you can cram a few nights before and never pick up a book. You have to have an incredible amount of discipline to keep yourself on track, and there are no lectures or powerpoints to help you along the way. You get out of it what you put it.

Reactions: 2 users
anybody else complete for months and still not even "under review??" :( I don't know what's going on...

I've been complete since 12/22 and my status is currently showing sent for further review. Should I send an email as well? Or is it still too soon?

I've been complete since 12/22 and my status is currently showing sent for further review. Should I send an email as well? Or is it still too soon?

Considering it's February and schools tend to schedule interviews a couple of weeks in advance, I would contact them. It may take some time for them to look at your app, invite you to interview, etc. Time is running out and I wouldn't wait around any longer if you are really interested in a school. Good luck!

Status changed to "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made." Been complete since 10/6. Most likely a rejection?

Status changed to "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made." Been complete since 10/6. Most likely a rejection?

no. it could be anything at this point. just don't come back to this site/check your email once a week or you'll lose your mind.

So about this waitlist...

Has anyone been yanked off the waitlist yet? I know one person on this thread so far has and it was in December; which seems contradictory to everything i've heard about waitlist only moving in May. Hopefully there is movement soon.