Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Considering it's February and schools tend to schedule interviews a couple of weeks in advance, I would contact them. It may take some time for them to look at your app, invite you to interview, etc. Time is running out and I wouldn't wait around any longer if you are really interested in a school. Good luck!
Sent an email two days ago and status update today to"under review". I hope the next one is an II.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, I'll be canceling my interview here. I hope it goes to one of you lovely people especially those who haven't gotten the opportunity to interview yet.

Hey all, I'll be canceling my interview here. I hope it goes to one of you lovely people especially those who haven't gotten the opportunity to interview yet.
I thank you and hope I get to post such an update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here last week. LECOM seems to get a lot of hate on SDN and I was a little skeptical going in, but the school impressed me. Hoping to hear back good news!

Interviewed here last week. LECOM seems to get a lot of hate on SDN and I was a little skeptical going in, but the school impressed me. Hoping to hear back good news!

I agree. I felt like they had their stuff together as much as any other school.

Reactions: 1 users

I agree. I felt like they had their stuff together as much as any other school.

To be honest this is exactly how I felt too. I read so much negativity on this forum on LECOM-B, and I had booked my flights, and as I landed in Tampa, I was like maybe I should just ditch the interview, and just enjoy the vacation (I was also there with my friend, and have friends there).. But I was like whatever, lets just see how it is, and I fell in love with the location, I liked the school, and the cost, and this is where Ill be next year, despite getting 4 other acceptances. This goes to show you, that while SDN is amazing and very helpful, the hate is likely written by people who didnt get in or average premeds, who are very judgemental. While this school is not perfect, it impressed me a lot! So take everything you hear with a grain of salt!

Reactions: 5 users
Haha I was feeling the same way. Reading about all the concerned students/applicants made me feel like I just wasted money flying down to Tampa but I changed my mind quickly after I set foot on campus. Not perfect, but far from how bad some SDNers made it out to be!

Reactions: 2 users
I just received this status update: "Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 90 days."

Does anyone know what this means in terms of getting an interview? Do I basically have no shot now?

Just received an II today! Interview scheduled for 3/18 after a horrendously long wait! I would appreciate it if anyone has any advice for interview day! I am so nervous!

The group interview is about 45 minutes long and is very relaxed (typical questions you would expect at an interview + 1 or 2 that are more situation based - but still easygoing.) Make sure to hear out the question completely and to be considerate of how long you speak, as there will be 6 of you in a group. I was a little worried about what order we would go in and whether answers will start to sound repetitive but that wasn't the case at all. Most people would say something along the lines of yes, I agree with X and Y and throw in another extra sentence or 2 of their own. After the first questions, it was pretty much an open table to answer. The "MMI" portion of the interview wasn't a traditional MMI nor was it high-stress. Remember you only have 10 minutes so you want to be thorough, but concise. Don't worry about using all 10 minutes to answer your prompt because they will have more traditional questions if you have extra time. Overall, even the MMI was relaxed, the staff does a good job at making you feel comfortable!

Just received an II today! Interview scheduled for 3/18 after a horrendously long wait! I would appreciate it if anyone has any advice for interview day! I am so nervous!

Congratulations. When were you complete?

Has anyone from the 1/25 interview group had a status change or heard anything back (i.e. snail mail letter) from LECOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received this status update: "Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 90 days."

Does anyone know what this means in terms of getting an interview? Do I basically have no shot now?

I have the same status. Mine originally said my app would be re-reviewed in 60 days. But after reading your post, I went to the portal to check my status and it changed to 90 days. Now I wonder if they tacked on an additional 30 days to the previous 60, or if I have started all over and it will be an additional 90 days.... so confusing....

Congratulations. When were you complete?

I was complete in late September and then 2 weeks ago I received an email that my application was going to be reviewed again for interview within 60 days. I thought that I should try to show interest to help so I updated my application and got another DO letter of recommendation and the next day I was invited for an II. I guess they are really receptive to updates!

I was complete in late September and then 2 weeks ago I received an email that my application was going to be reviewed again for interview within 60 days. I thought that I should try to show interest to help so I updated my application and got another DO letter of recommendation and the next day I was invited for an II. I guess they are really receptive to updates!

Thanks. Who is the best person to send updates to..?

The group interview is about 45 minutes long and is very relaxed (typical questions you would expect at an interview + 1 or 2 that are more situation based - but still easygoing.) Make sure to hear out the question completely and to be considerate of how long you speak, as there will be 6 of you in a group. I was a little worried about what order we would go in and whether answers will start to sound repetitive but that wasn't the case at all. Most people would say something along the lines of yes, I agree with X and Y and throw in another extra sentence or 2 of their own. After the first questions, it was pretty much an open table to answer. The "MMI" portion of the interview wasn't a traditional MMI nor was it high-stress. Remember you only have 10 minutes so you want to be thorough, but concise. Don't worry about using all 10 minutes to answer your prompt because they will have more traditional questions if you have extra time. Overall, even the MMI was relaxed, the staff does a good job at making you feel comfortable!

Thanks for the advice! Do you know if you get any one on one time with the interviewers or is it all just Group and MMI style?

Thanks for the advice! Do you know if you get any one on one time with the interviewers or is it all just Group and MMI style?
You get one on one time at the MMI portion. They'll give you a minute or two to ask questions, if they don't run out of time. For me however, I didn't get a chance to ask questions until the interviewer walked me out of the interview room because our conversation ran over the allotted 10 minutes.

Who's planning on going here as of now? And are you planning to do anything fun for about the month before? Thinking about when to quit my job and what to do. Something memorable maybe... before we are locked down for 10+ years/eternity.

Who's planning on going here as of now? And are you planning to do anything fun for about the month before? Thinking about when to quit my job and what to do. Something memorable maybe... before we are locked down for 10+ years/eternity.

Im going here for sure as of now. I am going to move in one month before classes, so I can explore the area and explore FLORIDA haha, but in the mean time, I am vacationing. I plan on going to Turkey, Dubai, San Fransisco, Vegas, and Los Angeles before I move hehe!

I am going to be a member of the class of 2020! I am trying to make the most of my time before we begin classes and I am starting with a trip to Southeast Asia for the month of March! Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand!

Im going here for sure as of now. I am going to move in one month before classes, so I can explore the area and explore FLORIDA haha, but in the mean time, I am vacationing. I plan on going to Turkey, Dubai, San Fransisco, Vegas, and Los Angeles before I move hehe!

I LOVED Turkey, I spent a week in Istanbul last year - it's one of my favorite cities!!

hey guys, i have until tomorrow to send in my deposit. I have already send a deposit for touro-middletown. I'm really scared....of burning my bridge to lecomB if i don't send in the deposit. I don't know if i will have the motivation to do PBL, and read so many chapters alone.

How do you guys feel about reading without any lectures?

hey guys, i have until tomorrow to send in my deposit. I have already send a deposit for touro-middletown. I'm really scared....of burning my bridge to lecomB if i don't send in the deposit. I don't know if i will have the motivation to do PBL, and read so many chapters alone.

How do you guys feel about reading without any lectures?

I did a post-bacc that was taught traditionally at an MD school. Nobody ended up going to class, and we all read on our own anyways. It definitely takes self discipline, but, like anything else, you can get used to it.

I am going to be a member of the class of 2020! I am trying to make the most of my time before we begin classes and I am starting with a trip to Southeast Asia for the month of March! Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand!
I LOVED Turkey, I spent a week in Istanbul last year - it's one of my favorite cities!!

I wouldn't mind doing something fun with my future classmates... As we get closer, maybe we could plan something cool?

I wouldn't mind doing something fun with my future classmates... As we get closer, maybe we could plan something cool?

Ofcourse, I am pretty social and like to have a good time haha! I know we wont have time in medical school that much, but hey when I do, I would love too hhah

dam I am really excited to go then, im going in 3 weeks so, its gonna be fun, DUBAI is amazing too lol. But I loved Thailand too, people are awesome!

Just completed my secondary here due to not receiving the first email to invite me to complete it. Hoping for an II!

Status changed to "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made." Been complete since 10/6. Most likely a rejection?
I had that status and was accepted. I think its a good sign. When you should start getting nervous is when it changes to "A decision as been made. You will be notified via mail within 30 days.."

Declining my acceptance here got into my top choice school at Nova, unfortunately they will not be giving me my deposit back >< lol

Interview is set for 3/4!! Does anyone how full the class is? Are we interviewing for WL spots?

Declining my acceptance here got into my top choice school at Nova, unfortunately they will not be giving me my deposit back >< lol

Other way around for me lol. Got accepted to both and chose LECOM. Couldn't convince myself to pay the extra 20k/year!

Other way around for me lol. Got accepted to both and chose LECOM. Couldn't convince myself to pay the extra 20k/year!

I got the interview too, and declined because I couldnt justify the extra 20k a year as well. !!

20k was pennies on the dollar when compared to residency placement.

Nova has 2 teaching hospitals that will be completed in 2017.
One on campus which will have 80 residency spots.

And one in town with 100 residency spots.

That's a totall of 180 residency spots.
In various fields.

So if your Forte is talking to people and pulling strings it would be the easiest way to get a very competitive residency right in your backyard

In addition they have a research grant.
If you do research for 2 years part time they cover 2 years of your education.
There's 60 spots open to pioneer in this grant.
Only qualifications you need is either 1 publication
Or you need 2 years of documeted time doing research in undergrad.

Message here is if your a hard worker you go to school cheap and you get far in life.

Long time lurker here (spend most time in the erie thread). Anyway on to the good news!Interviewed 2/1, portal change 2/11, recieved acceptance letter today! Beyond ecstatic

Reactions: 2 users
Received my acceptance letter this week! Congrats to all who have been accepted thus far!

To be honest this is exactly how I felt too. I read so much negativity on this forum on LECOM-B, and I had booked my flights, and as I landed in Tampa, I was like maybe I should just ditch the interview, and just enjoy the vacation (I was also there with my friend, and have friends there).. But I was like whatever, lets just see how it is, and I fell in love with the location, I liked the school, and the cost, and this is where Ill be next year, despite getting 4 other acceptances. This goes to show you, that while SDN is amazing and very helpful, the hate is likely written by people who didnt get in or average premeds, who are very judgemental. While this school is not perfect, it impressed me a lot! So take everything you hear with a grain of salt!
Take what they present to you during your interviews with a grain of salt as well. They portray themselves as this super prestigious school that's extremely respected and well known by the community Hey it impressed me during interviews as well! And the beautiful campus and location definitely helped.

Last edited:
20k was pennies on the dollar when compared to residency placement.

Nova has 2 teaching hospitals that will be completed in 2017.
One on campus which will have 80 residency spots.

And one in town with 100 residency spots.

That's a totall of 180 residency spots.
In various fields.

So if your Forte is talking to people and pulling strings it would be the easiest way to get a very competitive residency right in your backyard

In addition they have a research grant.
If you do research for 2 years part time they cover 2 years of your education.
There's 60 spots open to pioneer in this grant.
Only qualifications you need is either 1 publication
Or you need 2 years of documeted time doing research in undergrad.

Message here is if your a hard worker you go to school cheap and you get far in life.

Net working is awesome but you're not getting into a competitive residency without the scores to back it up. If it's two people with 245 board scores then yeah the student chosen will be the one they know better. But it's not gonna trump a student that did way better than you in boards.

They said the same thing about getting into a u.s. medical school with a sub 18 mcat.

But in the end it's all about who you know that gets you where you wanna be.
Not how you look on paper.

They said the same thing about getting into a u.s. medical school with a sub 18 mcat.

Wait, you have a sub-18 MCAT?

What country are you a prince of??

I kid I kid but in all seriousness I'm sure he retook and that's how he's gotten all his acceptances

Last edited:

Board scores are absolutely the number one factor in landing the residency you want. As a resident, you are directly responsible for patients and function with a lot of independence. A program is not going to take any chances with someone with poor scores, regardless of how well they know the applicant. There are many other candidates with adequate board scores that don't come with risks. I have a strong connection to a program director so I have a pretty good idea how networking works in this case. Knowing people definitely helps, but do not rely on that to carry you through because it won't.