Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Johnyellow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 3/11 and I'm wondering if no news is good news. Opinions?

No news is good news! That means you are on the good waiting list. Now they are just waiting for ppl to drop their spots or until The April 1st deadline to accept more ppl so I've been told.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is too early still. They take about a month to make a decision, and about a week for you to get the letter after said decision.

Class size I think is 192. On facebook there are 169. Does that really mean they can accept somewhere around 23?

Class size I think is 192. On facebook there are 169. Does that really mean they can accept somewhere around 23?

A lot of the members of the FB group class of 2020 are actually upperclassman posting about available apartments and offering advice. Also, I doubt that everyone accepted/planning to go has joined so I wouldn't go by that number.

I got invited to interview here about a week ago! I'm pretty excited. Any general insight as to what the interview is like? I'm sure it's somewhere in the thread, I'd just prefer to avoid searching if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What day is it? I'm going down on the 11th of April and staying at the Country Inn about 4 miles away. I'm excited but also scared that it's too late

Thanks for your reply Forever24. Mine says the same thing as yours, and I was wondering if it really means we're accepted pending available seats like Ron Shively said or if everyone's portal status still says that. I guess I'll wait for more replies.
I interviewed at Eerie - Seton Hill on 3/15 and mine says the "under review" bit still. I sent an email asking about decision or approximate timeline a week ago with no reply too.

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Thank you! :)

Interviewed 3/4/16 with no portal change. On interview day, Ron said that if you don't hear back in a week, then it's a good thing. I was never officially placed on a waitlist, but I'm assuming that they were waiting until a spot opened up to offer a position in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Eerie - Seton Hill on 3/15 and mine says the "under review" bit still. I sent an email asking about decision or approximate timeline a week ago with no reply too.

I think it's different with LECOM-SH. I was told at my interview that you'll hear back in about a month. Hopefully you get a reply soon.

Thank you! :)

Interviewed 3/4/16 with no portal change. On interview day, Ron said that if you don't hear back in a week, then it's a good thing. I was never officially placed on a waitlist, but I'm assuming that they were waiting until a spot opened up to offer a position in the class.

Thank you so much for your reply and congrats again :)

I official released my seat at LECOM ... Today is the day the second deposit is due so there could be movement within the next couple weeks ... I am unsure if they give an extension for the last deposit if they don't then today is the day when seats get cleaned out
Best of luck everybody!

Anybody know when we are supposed to receive our financial aid info?

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this, but how does anatomy work? I think I remember them saying you started with anatomy, right?

How many weeks is it and how is the class laid out (are you doing PBL during it or is it like you just go to class every day kind of thing). Also, are exams usually on a certain day of the week or no?

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this, but how does anatomy work? I think I remember them saying you started with anatomy, right?

How many weeks is it and how is the class laid out (are you doing PBL during it or is it like you just go to class every day kind of thing). Also, are exams usually on a certain day of the week or no?

I think its like a 12 week crash course M-F, Lecture style, and you have PBL I believe only like twice a week. This is what I remember on the day of the interview!

How do I access the class of 2020 Facebook page? I can't seem to find it.

I think its like a 12 week crash course M-F, Lecture style, and you have PBL I believe only like twice a week. This is what I remember on the day of the interview!

I have to say I am fairly concerned by this. I interviewed at other schools where Anatomy was the whole first year, or a massive 10 credit full fall semester. I think they actually said Anatomy here was only 10 weeks. Can any upperclassmen weigh in on this? Did you feel you got a quality experience?

I have to say I am fairly concerned by this. I interviewed at other schools where Anatomy was the whole first year, or a massive 10 credit full fall semester. I think they actually said Anatomy here was only 10 weeks. Can any upperclassmen weigh in on this? Did you feel you got a quality experience?
Well remember that you get a 12 week crash course (to kind of set a solid foundation), but during PBL you continue during Anatomy the whole two years basically

So I'm torn between LECOM-B and Nova...can anyone provide some input that might help me make my decision?

So I'm torn between LECOM-B and Nova...can anyone provide some input that might help me make my decision?
I'd go for Nova, they're a lot more established. Nova is not a branch campus like LECOM-B and I'd think this would allow the staff to render a lot more support for students.

agree'd with my colleague above me. The only difference would be tuition and it is definitely substantial, but many have done it before you. Go where you would be happier

Where is everybody looking for apartments?

I rec'd a list from the school, went through it and I have a list of like 5 complexes within 10-15 minutes of the school, either East Bradenton or Lakewood Ranch. It seems like everyone lives in those cookie cutter corporate complexes, which is kind of a turn off for me but I guess the convenience of it all works.

I am going with a 1 BR for the first year, even though I'll spend a lot more I think it will be for the best. Are most people planning on roommates or living solo?

Anatomy is ~11 weeks here but we do not have PBL until the last week or 2 and I spent zero effort on PBL until after anatomy ended (like the rest of the class). At other schools, anatomy may be a whole semester but you also have to worry about other classes at the same time. Our anatomy professor (who is incredible by the way) taught USF med for many years prior to coming here and he teaches us the same course, with the same amount of material just in a more condensed time period. We are also expected to continue reviewing anatomy throughout PBL so we reassign anatomy chapters with PBL cases. We do very well in anatomy on the boards because we keep up with anatomy the entire 2 years. I personally did get burned out from studying anatomy constantly, but that's just the nature of med school and it didn't get any better once anatomy ended and PBL started lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I rec'd a list from the school, went through it and I have a list of like 5 complexes within 10-15 minutes of the school, either East Bradenton or Lakewood Ranch. It seems like everyone lives in those cookie cutter corporate complexes, which is kind of a turn off for me but I guess the convenience of it all works.

I am going with a 1 BR for the first year, even though I'll spend a lot more I think it will be for the best. Are most people planning on roommates or living solo?

Many of my classmates rent houses/townhomes if that is more your thing. But for me, it was more convenient to live in a complex because of the great amenities (gyms, pools, basketball courts, tennis courts, free coffee lol, etc), not having to worry about maintenance/upkeep, and it was cheaper than any house I could find at the time. I live by myself and it was the best decision I could have made for my sanity lol. The only drawback is that you have to make a bigger effort to be social if/when you want to.

Reactions: 1 users

I am also going for a 1 BR for the first year, maybe room-mater 2nd year.. I am on the waiting list for Carlton arms, if I dont get that, then Ill likely be in Yacht Club, it seems really nice, and a lot of LECOM schools live there since its only like 10 minutes from the school! Its so pricey, but I guess it will be for the best for me too lol!

You will be on campus every day during anatomy for lecture and/or lab. That will be your main focus during those months. Exams are normally on Mondays (including PBL).

To answer some questions I've seen in this thread:
Our class size was actually 197 initially, but yes we are now at 192.
And anatomy is 10 weeks + orientation week, it's pretty intense since its things you'd normally learn in a year elsewhere condensed to ~ 11 weeks. But as someone mentioned, we have a fantastic anatomy professor, just go over the powerpoints over and over and spend outside time in the cadaver labs and you'll make it through. Anatomy did overlap with PBL for 2 weeks or so, but nobody reads for that until anatomy is over, so there is some catching up to do with PBL initially. The PBL facilitators are pretty understanding about that.

Is it true that Bradenton totally dicked over the rotation spots, and only have 100 spots in Florida for 200 students?

what are the odds i actually get off wait list here.... really discouraged :(

So if anyone was wondering about this whole waitlist status thing like I was, I emailed Bradenton admission rep asking if my interview on the April 11th was for a waitlist spot this is what I got back:

"We are still sending out accept letters. We also send out alternate letters. When a seat in the class opens up, the committee re-reviews all applications, so there isn’t really a waitlist."

So given that the class is almost full and that there are still multiple interviews being given out each with about 10-20 people it seems like it's a 'waitlist' just not be name

Someone said LECOM-B will have enough year-long rotation sites available for our class by the time we are M3s. Can anyone verify this?

Someone said LECOM-B will have enough year-long rotation sites available for our class by the time we are M3s. Can anyone verify this?

I have heard this too, and I would love to know more as well. I heard that LECOM has started to pay hospitals maybe, and we might all have year long spots.. Dont quote me, I just heard lol.. Can anyone tell me for sure?

I have heard this too, and I would love to know more as well. I heard that LECOM has started to pay hospitals maybe, and we might all have year long spots.. Dont quote me, I just heard lol.. Can anyone tell me for sure?
I think they had said something about the possibility of having all year long sites at the interview. He had also said to expect an increase in tuition if that was the case. Idk if it's set in stone yet though

I think they had said something about the possibility of having all year long sites at the interview. He had also said to expect an increase in tuition if that was the case. Idk if it's set in stone yet though
Yeah nothing is set in stone. He said they were working to increase the amount of yearlongs and that our class could be the first one to be completely covered with them.
I don't care much about all this. If i have to go to Utah, Philly, etc, to do my rotations, then i'll go

Anybody from the 3/18 interview hear anything yet?

Ahh rotations...it's really hard to get actual info about this (even as a current student), so unfortunately we really can't given you a straight answer on something we are never able to get a straight answer on ourselves. A lot of what we know is speculation/rumors. I do know we lost several hospitals rotations wise, because other schools are willing to pay for their students (as they should). When asked why LECOM doesn't pay for spots, they say it's "tradition" for DOs to teach other DOs for free. The current rumor is, if you're willing to move (like to PA), then you should be able to secure a year long spot just fine.

When we ask administration if they would be willing to raise our tuition in order to pay for solid rotations, we were told "that's not gonna happen, it just isn't". So I think it's pretty funny when they try to entice prospective students with that possibility. As far as them paying for spots now, they absolutely do not do that right now. I also can't say how the process even works as far as who gets what rotations, I've heard it's either random or by GPA/class rank

Edit: also they are frequently saying they are always working on securing rotation spots, so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyone still looking for a roommate? The lease I have becomes available in July to move in!

A sub 18 MCAT? Hahahahahahahahaahaha okay thank you for the laughs, truly.

No medical school in this country would accept someone with their highest score being a sub 18 mcat Pretty sure their computers would automatically toss your app before an actual person even saw it. Considering we've already had a handful of people drop out first year, and those are people with good mcats, they're definitely not gonna waste their time with people who clearly aren't going to be able to handle the curriculum. It's a waste of time and money for everyone. Please stop giving ridiculous advice to pre-meds on this forum
The first time I took an MCAT practice, I Christmas treed at least 90% of it straight up and ended up with a 19 lol.

I am also torn between Nova and Lecom B. My gut says nova but heres what i'm thinking. Lecom is significantly cheaper and #1 in the nation for board scores. It doesn't really make sense to go somewhere lesser ranker and more expensive just because of the better location/atmosphere. Ive heard from several upperclassman that due to the PBL work , people get to travel in between/go places bc youre not as bound by lecture and are more independent. I also think atmosphere is what you make of it and with a positive attitude, it is not going to be as miserable of an experience as everyone is making it out to be. RN i'm leaning more towards lecom for these reasons, but we'll see. thoughts?

Reactions: 4 users
I am also torn between Nova and Lecom B. My gut says nova but heres what i'm thinking. Lecom is significantly cheaper and #1 in the nation for board scores. It doesn't really make sense to go somewhere lesser ranker and more expensive just because of the better location/atmosphere. Ive heard from several upperclassman that due to the PBL work , people get to travel in between/go places bc youre not as bound by lecture and are more independent. I also think atmosphere is what you make of it and with a positive attitude, it is not going to be as miserable of an experience as everyone is making it out to be. RN i'm leaning more towards lecom for these reasons, but we'll see. thoughts?

my take. LECOM's board scores are no reflection of the school. And I heard from others that their Step 2 / COMLEX 2 score is absolutely abysmal.
The real change comes with rotations. Would you want to set them up yourself possibly and put yourself through extra stressors and uncertainty or do you want an organized system that works?
The 3rd and 4th years are what really determine the caliber of the medical school. I think a residency PD would put more faith on someone with good grades/evaluations coming out of an organized and tested system versus one that is a bit more unstable. If I were to choose, I'd pick NOVA.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, planning on applying to LECOM-Bradenton this upcoming application cycle. Did you guys get any essay questions in the secondary this year?

Thanks a lot, :)

Hey guys, planning on applying to LECOM-Bradenton this upcoming application cycle. Did you guys get any essay questions in the secondary this year?

Thanks a lot, :)
No essays. Cheers

So got the letter in the mail that I was waitlisted for LECOM Erie branch and I guess I'll stay that way. Any got moved off of the waitlist recently from Bradenton though? Any news of waitlist movement would be a godsend....