Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Edit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I wasn't too sure where to ask this question but I would love it if somebody could help me out.

As LECOM is all about the "experiences", would being a pharmacist be something seen as unique in a good way or unique in a weird/bad way?
That's definitely a good thing as long as you're going to medical school for the right reasons! They value experience highly and you'll be much better off, especially 2nd year and beyond.

Reactions: 1 users
First acceptance!!!!!!!!! LECOM Seton Hill!! I just cried for a solid hour.. <3

Congrats! Remember that amazing feeling and treasure it. You will need it when you are several months into first year and find yourself buried under a pile of textbooks. I reread my acceptance letter and personal statement the other day ^_^

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I wasn't too sure where to ask this question but I would love it if somebody could help me out.

As LECOM is all about the "experiences", would being a pharmacist be something seen as unique in a good way or unique in a weird/bad way?
I would think most schools would appreciate anyone from a different kind of healthcare background. To be honest, I couldn't really read what LECOM thought about my background since you don't really have an interactive traditional interview there, but it came up as a point of interest at every other interview.

Reactions: 1 user
how long do we wait after an interview before its appropriate to call if we have not received a portal change or letter ? The wait is torture . interviewed over a month ago , no portal change or letter .

please advise

Sec rec'd 11/11
Sec sub'd 11/12
Complete/processed app 11/13
Seems like waiting can vary from 2 weeks to 2-3 months.

Question: Does this portal status ever change from "your app is under review" to anything else BEFORE an II? What does it say when you get an II? I'm assuming they email you about the II as well, correct?

how long do we wait after an interview before its appropriate to call if we have not received a portal change or letter ? The wait is torture . interviewed over a month ago , no portal change or letter .

please advise

I just had this whole process last year so I did a fair amount of research into this. Given that you are already more than 6 weeks post interview (correct me if my math is off), I think it IS appropriate to call. As long as you are polite and professional, you at least won't be held against. Good luck! Let me page my senior @ortnakas

I just had this whole process last year so I did a fair amount of research into this. Given that you are already more than 6 weeks post interview (correct me if my math is off), I think it IS appropriate to call. As long as you are polite and professional, you at least won't be held against. Good luck! Let me page my senior @ortnakas

Doesn't this depend on when you asked for your decision? If you didn't opt for the early decision then you are not supposed to hear until after November 15th.

I really don't know anything about admissions timing, but I'd concur. With a heavy emphasis on the "as long as your are polite and professional" bit-- try not to come off as entitled (this isn't a dig on whoever's question this was, just a general comment).

No guarantees it'll help, but I don't think it can hurt.

Ok I will wait until after Nov 15th and call . Thanks for the replies!! Have a great day :)

portal still says under review, has been since september, at this point should I expect that im going to receive a rejection letter at the close of this cycle? im not sure on whether they hold off to consider an applicant or they send them a rejection immediately?
Also i'm in a masters program at touro (the 'pipeline' program similar to lecom's postbac) would sending a letter of rec help me in any way? or just updating them on my gpa for the first semester since im taking the same classes as the DOs (except for OMM)?

I've been complete since August, under review, no news.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, was there a portion of the secondary app that asked which pathway we'd like to pursue?

tomorrow is the 16th!! anyone else excited for portal change and decision ??? Happy sunday!!

I will be giving up my acceptance at Seton Hill for another school I just got into. I hope one of you fine people gets it!!

Anyone know if the mmi will hurt you? I was told it was optional but I wanted to see if doing bad during that interview would affect your chances

Anyone know if the mmi will hurt you? I was told it was optional but I wanted to see if doing bad during that interview would affect your chances
It's not actually a MMI. It's one scenario that isn't as challenging as a typical MMI question, and a quick question about you. The whole thing lasts only 8 minutes. Honestly, I sincerely hope they allot more time to this part in the future. The group interview is a nice idea in theory, but the scenarios we had didn't really lend themselves to much discussion; they were kind of black or white ethical questions, so a few people in my group kind of raced to go first. And that was after our hour was mostly used up by people (including one of the faculty interviewing us) giving long, rehearsed introductions. So in my personal experience, they couldn't have really learned much about most interviewees as individuals, just those who opted to talk for a long time about their backgrounds.

I highly recommend the individual "MMI." It may be your one chance to show at least a glimpse of who you are. And unless you're completely rude to your interviewers, you don't even have enough time to screw it up! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Sigh...my application has been under review for over 2 months and still haven't heard anything. And all they said when I called them was check the portal.
How long did it take most of you to get an II from submitting secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
Portal just changed today to decision made... Interviewed 7/31. yikessss :0

upload_2015-11-16_15-50-33.png

Reactions: 6 users
Saw a group of nervous interviewees today at LECOM-SH :p Well dressed I have to say, you guys looked sharp! Just wanna say good luck. And remember, if the school didn't think your credentials are good enough, you guys wouldn't have been here in the first place. So pat yourself on the back, chill, and let the process unfold itself. Don't forget to write your TY notes.

Quick question for Erie PBL folks- how many days are you at the bayfront campus and how many days at the regular campus? Thanks!

Hey all, I just have a question about Erie vs Seton Hill. Can you only be considered for interview and acceptance at one of the two? and How is the decision for one of the campuses made?

I scheduled my interview last week. The first available date was at the end of Jan. From what I can tell, there is no way to go back in and check the interview dates unless you email the contact... does anybody know if there are other available interview dates? does an interview at the end of jan. seem really late?

Quick question for Erie PBL folks- how many days are you at the bayfront campus and how many days at the regular campus? Thanks!
From what I remember when I asked during the interview, you pretty much spend all of your time at bayfront.

ACCEPTED into DSP!!! Good luck to those still waiting and I hope to see you all this fall!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Complete since 7/30 and nothing but silence...how late into the cycle does Lake Erie interview?

Any of you 9/11 interviewers receive any letter yet? I opted for the November 14th decision.

I interviewed on 10/30, and my portal changed sometime last week. I know they say the letter can take 30 days to be mailed, but does anyone roughly how long it actually takes? Getting a little antsy waiting for decisions!

I interviewed on 10/30, and my portal changed sometime last week. I know they say the letter can take 30 days to be mailed, but does anyone roughly how long it actually takes? Getting a little antsy waiting for decisions!

I received my letter 4 days after my portal changed, which took place 26 days after my interview

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey all, I just have a question about Erie vs Seton Hill. Can you only be considered for interview and acceptance at one of the two? and How is the decision for one of the campuses made?

Erie and Seton Hill are combined for admissions so you're only considered once (Bradenton is separate). If I remember correctly, you pick your preferred campus when you fill out your secondary. If you interview at Erie, you then rank your pathway preferences once you're there. If you interview at Seton Hill, you're being considered for their PBL pathway (although if you decide PBL is not for you, you can ask to be considered for an Erie pathway instead).

I'm a second year and things may have changed, so @DoReMiFaSo or someone who is currently applying, please correct me if my info is wrong or out of date.

The campus option you put down on your SECONDARY only determines the campus where you will be interviewing at should you be chosen.

DURING YOUR INTERVIEW, you will be asked to fill out a pathway preference (a bunches of options for Erie and PBL only for Seton Hill). This is when you choose your fate so to speak. You won't get penalized in any way should you put down a location other than the place you are interviewing at as your top choice. So don't be afraid to change your mind if you think it is appropriate.

Say if you put down PBL at Seton Hill as your top, then your Erie portal option will freeze while your Seton Hill one will progress along. For example, 'til this day, my Erie admission status still reads, "Your application is under review." In this scenario, you will only be considered at Seton Hill. The opposite is also true. If you rank all of the Erie options first, then your Seton Hill path will close while the Erie admission tab will progress along.

It gets more complicated if you mix campuses when you rank your preferences. For example, if you put down, "1. Erie DSP (which is by far the most coveted of the Erie options). 2. Seton Hill PBL. 3. Erie Lecture path. then I recommend you asking the representatives during your interview day. The DSP slots will for sure be filled before the lecture-path ones, so I'm not sure if you then would be funneled down to Seton Hill, which is the second option, if the DSP slots are already full.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Anyone verified late October receive the secondary? I am still waiting for the secondary....

Thanks for the heads up I live an hour away so im going to drive down over thanksgiving break and check a few areas out. Any thoughts on the townhouse/apartments on the lake/lakeview area? From what I see they tend to be more pricey for nice ones but I dont mind spending more for a nice place.

Hey Whats up Doc. Please excuse my lastness. There are apartments across from campus, pretty expensive though, but very convenient since you could walk to class on snowy days. I have a couple of classmates who rented a 4 bedroom home near campus for 1100 (split 275 each), which is pretty awesome. A lot of people go for the 2 bedroom duplex/townhomes near campus like, Zuck Rd, West Gore Rd or Zimmerly for between 650 to 700, which is still pretty cheap. It's pretty early to be looking for housing. A lot of places will open up once the school year ends.

How long did it take everyone's portal to change after their interview. I interviewed 11/6 and still haven't received any changes?

Hey Whats up Doc. Please excuse my lastness. There are apartments across from campus, pretty expensive though, but very convenient since you could walk to class on snowy days. I have a couple of classmates who rented a 4 bedroom home near campus for 1100 (split 275 each), which is pretty awesome. A lot of people go for the 2 bedroom duplex/townhomes near campus like, Zuck Rd, West Gore Rd or Zimmerly for between 650 to 700, which is still pretty cheap. It's pretty early to be looking for housing. A lot of places will open up once the school year ends.
Thanks for the reply and not a problem with the delay. Ill definitely be checking out the townhouses near LECOM, I thought the bayfront area was pretty cool but im just guna drive around and get a sense of the area so come summertime ill know what im looking for and hopefully theyll still be available. Thanks again for the reply!

The campus option you put down on your SECONDARY only determines the campus where you will be interviewing at should you be chosen.

DURING YOUR INTERVIEW, you will be asked to fill out a pathway preference (a bunches of options for Erie and PBL only for Seton Hill). This is when you choose your fate so to speak. You won't get penalized in any way should you put down a location other than the place you are interviewing at as your top choice. So don't be afraid to change your mind if you think it is appropriate.

Say if you put down PBL at Seton Hill as your top, then your Erie portal option will freeze while your Seton Hill one will progress along. For example, 'til this day, my Erie admission status still reads, "Your application is under review." In this scenario, you will only be considered at Seton Hill. The opposite is also true. If you rank all of the Erie options first, then your Seton Hill path will close while the Erie admission tab will progress along.

It gets more complicated if you mix campuses when you rank your preferences. For example, if you put down, "1. Erie DSP (which is by far the most coveted of the Erie options). 2. Seton Hill PBL. 3. Erie Lecture path. then I recommend you asking the representatives during your interview day. The DSP slots will for sure be filled before the lecture-path ones, so I'm not sure if you then would be funneled down to Seton Hill, which is the second option, if the DSP slots are already full.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you both, DoReMiFaSo and ortnakas!

PharmD? Regardless there's a good chunk of physician assistants, a few PhD's (Or so I've heard) and a good chunk of people with plenty of clinical/past experience. I think anything that you can contribute from your personal background will be seen in a positive light since you can educate and contribute to the learning process of other students as well. (Pharmacology is a huge topic in med school, COMLEX and USMLE's which are heavy on the "drugs and bugs" or so the saying goes.)

Anyone have an upcoming SH interview? The interviewees get a breakfast that hardly gets touched and the current students love the free bagels/coffee leftover haha

Anyone interviewing this Friday 11/20? I'm flying in tomorrow (Erie campus) and leaving Saturday. If anyone wants to get together feel free to PM me. I would love to explore the city :)

PharmD? Regardless there's a good chunk of physician assistants, a few PhD's (Or so I've heard) and a good chunk of people with plenty of clinical/past experience. I think anything that you can contribute from your personal background will be seen in a positive light since you can educate and contribute to the learning process of other students as well. (Pharmacology is a huge topic in med school, COMLEX and USMLE's which are heavy on the "drugs and bugs" or so the saying goes.)

Anyone have an upcoming SH interview? The interviewees get a breakfast that hardly gets touched and the current students love the free bagels/coffee leftover haha
Hahaha thats great, all the students are probably too nervous to eat they probably think its a test or somethin lol

There were no bagels when I was there! I wound up having fruit and a scoop of what I originally thought was yogurt but tasted like frosting. Although I am not a fan of sweets I ate it because otherwise I wouldn't have made it through the day haha!

Hahaha thats great, all the students are probably too nervous to eat they probably think its a test or somethin lol
That's exactly it, but you need to get to it by 9 am, otherwise they're all gone :( never underestimate the hunger of med students haha.

There were no bagels when I was there! I wound up having fruit and a scoop of what I originally thought was yogurt but tasted like frosting. Although I am not a fan of sweets I ate it because otherwise I wouldn't have made it through the day haha!

Sorry to hear! Sounds like someone made an error, there's usually a nice little breakfast table with coffee, muffins, bagels, OJ etc that's basically fair game after the interviewees leave for their activities/tours!

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for LECOM-Erie class of 2020?

I interviewed at SH on 10/12, and this Monday 11/16 the portal changed to "You will recieve blah blah blah... in 30 days." Today, I received a letter from Bradenton campus saying I wasn't offered an interview. I was wondering if I should still be receiving something from eerie/sh? I'm surprised bradenton didn't send this via email.

I interviewed at SH on 10/12, and this Monday 11/16 the portal changed to "You will recieve blah blah blah... in 30 days." Today, I received a letter from Bradenton campus saying I wasn't offered an interview. I was wondering if I should still be receiving something from eerie/sh? I'm surprised bradenton didn't send this via email.

Got the same thing