Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing Friday at Erie if anyone has any last minute tips!

Members don't see this ad.

Are the interviews open or closed file? I'm interviewing on Monday in Seton Hill so I want to be as prepared as possible.
Closed file but know your application of course, read the interview feedback on sdn for the types of questions that might be asked

To all of those who have interviewed, where did you guys flew in to? Im seeing Pittsburgh as the only option and then it is one hour to the school (if u did that, then did u take a cab?)
I flew into Erie. Definitely not the cheapest option, but it was convenient. Took an Uber to a hotel near the school, however, I do wish I rented a car. Even Uber fair in Erie was quite pricey relative to my hometown.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for a portal change. Interviewed the first week of November and still nothing. The wait is beyond frustrating!
I interviewed the first week of November and haven't received a portal change either. The wait is killing me. I wonder how much longer

II today! Very first one!! I'm so happy I could cry.

Reactions: 6 users
I am interviewing here tomorrow and realized I have made a huuuuge mistake in the application process.... On the AACOMAS under the disciplinary action section I was unsure if I was supposed to report non-academic incidences, so I did the logical thing and contacted AACOM. I spoke to someone on the phone and they said it was for academic action only, and, having thought nothing of it, I just went on with my application figuring that they would allow me to explain my non-academic probation (for being caught drinking in on campus housing and violating the number of guests per host policy) on the secondary. However, on the LECOM secondary I never got to explain this because it was never mentioned. I never had the intention of hiding this information as I reported it on like 28 other secondaries. Now LECOM has my disciplinary action form listed in my required letters file (just updated today). I was planning on partaking in the optional personal interview at the end of the day and explaining my situation but I figured no matter how I explain it they are going to probably disregard me... Any tips or advice on how to go about dealing with this situation?

I am interviewing here tomorrow and realized I have made a huuuuge mistake in the application process.... On the AACOMAS under the disciplinary action section I was unsure if I was supposed to report non-academic incidences, so I did the logical thing and contacted AACOM. I spoke to someone on the phone and they said it was for academic action only, and, having thought nothing of it, I just went on with my application figuring that they would allow me to explain my non-academic probation (for being caught drinking in on campus housing and violating the number of guests per host policy) on the secondary. However, on the LECOM secondary I never got to explain this because it was never mentioned. I never had the intention of hiding this information as I reported it on like 28 other secondaries. Now LECOM has my disciplinary action form listed in my required letters file (just updated today). I was planning on partaking in the optional personal interview at the end of the day and explaining my situation but I figured no matter how I explain it they are going to probably disregard me... Any tips or advice on how to go about dealing with this situation?
Have you tried reaching the admissions office at all and explaining the situation

Interviewing Friday at Erie if anyone has any last minute tips!
Good luck! Its a pretty fun day all around so dont get stressed out and while your in the group interview be receptive to other interviwees meaning when they are responding make sure you dont look like your zoned out or roll your eyes lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried reaching the admissions office at all and explaining the situation

I did email an admissions counselor explaining and even attached the disciplinary action essay I wrote for other supplementals, but got no response yet... maybe I should have emailed just general admissions? Oh well, I am going to go interview and try to explain the situation and hope for the best and be honest.

I interviewed the first week of November and haven't received a portal change either. The wait is killing me. I wonder how much longer
Anything yet? I could have sworn they said we would know within 30 days and it's about to be 30 days..

I know this has been discussed a number of times but can a student please describe the differences between DSP and PBL?
I get the feeling that DSP is just power-point slides with missing information that you have to find yourself and then study by yourself while PBL is case studies.
Do DSP students get case studies too? How do PBL students get to prepare for exams when they have no previous interaction with faculty exam authors? Do they get quizzes to asses their mastery of the material? Do DSP students and LDP students take exams at the same time? I'm a little confused on how these 2 pathways work...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify-- this is 100% correct, but specific to the Erie campus. If you're interviewing at Seton Hill, you'll want to fly into Pittsburgh, not Cleveland or Buffalo. There's also a very small airport nearby in Latrobe, but the only airline that uses it is Spirit and flights are pretty limited.
Thank you for all the replies guys. And yeah i am interviewing at SH on monday . Im flying into Pitt and then renting a car to go to Greensburg

This is my first ever interview! Is it strange i am not nervous?

I know this has been discussed a number of times but can a student please describe the differences between DSP and PBL?
I get the feeling that DSP is just power-point slides with missing information that you have to find yourself and then study by yourself while PBL is case studies.
Do DSP students get case studies too? How do PBL students get to prepare for exams when they have no previous interaction with faculty exam authors? Do they get quizzes to asses their mastery of the material? Do DSP students and LDP students take exams at the same time? I'm a little confused on how these 2 pathways work...
From what I remember during the presentation, DSP is textbook only. No PowerPoints. It's almost all independent study. No case studies unless you find them yourself and study from them.

PBL is also directed by students, i.e. the group of students choose the study objectives based on the current case study and go from there. No PowerPoints, but there is a faculty guide for each case. The exams then are built from those objectives. As far as examination timeframes, that I do not know.

From what I remember during the presentation, DSP is textbook only. No PowerPoints. It's almost all independent study. No case studies unless you find them yourself and study from them.

PBL is also directed by students, i.e. the group of students choose the study objectives based on the current case study and go from there. No PowerPoints, but there is a faculty guide for each case. The exams then are built from those objectives. As far as examination timeframes, that I do not know.

FYI the DSP student I met at lunch specifically said DSP students pretty much have access to the powerpoints in LDP (through making LDP friends). And of course, DSP students are free to meet informally among themselves to make a weekly plan/share resources/group study.

After talking to this DSP student and his schedule, the 5-6 interviewees (including myself) who were talking to him changed pathway rankings to make DSP choice #1 ;)

I'm sure there are a lot of interviewees to review. Still hoping to see some November portal changes in the near future! Wait is excruciating!

FYI the DSP student I met at lunch specifically said DSP students pretty much have access to the powerpoints in LDP (through making LDP friends). And of course, DSP students are free to meet informally among themselves to make a weekly plan/share resources/group study.

After talking to this DSP student and his schedule, the 5-6 interviewees (including myself) who were talking to him changed pathway rankings to make DSP choice #1 ;)
Oh, yeah, I didn't mean they wouldn't have access to the PowerPoints. Just that they're not fill in the blank.

1st year DSP student here

All we get for each class is a Module- list of objectives to guide our study and textbooks. Depending on the professors for each class, you will also get supplemental materials that will be posted on the portal to supplement your study- these can be anything from Podcasts, case studies, mini study-guides, diagrams or even ppt lectures they use to teach the LDP kids. 90% of your study will be done by reading the book. If you are not big on reading medical textbooks then DSP might not work for you. You will need to read the textbooks and supplemental materials to answer the questions in the Module and make your own study materials. It sounds hard but it really isn't. There are board review books for you to use, youtube videos etc. The same way you will be studying for the boards essentially. Nobody is going to give you power points to study from for the COMLEX or USMLE

For my DSP/PCSP class, people form groups to work on the module and study together, the people in these groups divide up the objectives among themselves and typically finish the entire module within 2, 3 days. That way, the bigger the groups, the fewer objectives you will be responsible for and have to read from the book. After the module is done, they just study from the module and do practice questions to prep for the exam.

I do not know much about PBL. But case studies are not all that's cracked up to be. Is it the up and coming thing in medical education? There are plenty of clinical cases in the book that you can read about if you want clinical scenarios.

DSP and LDP students do not take exams together. LDP students take multiple classes at the same time. DSP students work on 1 subject at a time. The 2 schedules do not coincide besides the OPP and doctoring classes. We cover pretty much the same stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I mentioned this before and I am going to mention it again: it is super easy to switch from DSP to LDP but not the other way around. People from LDP wanting to switch into DSP have to be interviewed by the pathway director and there must be spots available. Some people cope well with sitting in lectures for 4-6 hours a day, others don't. Find what works for you and stick with that.

Reactions: 3 users
Do DSP students get case studies too? How do PBL students get to prepare for exams when they have no previous interaction with faculty exam authors? Do they get quizzes to asses their mastery of the material?

@DoReMiFaSo did a good job explaining PBL, but I can add a little bit. (With the caveat that I know next to nothing about LDP and DSP, so I can't provide any comparisons).

At every PBL session, you work through a case with your group and a faculty facilitator. At the end of a case, your group assigns reading based on the material-- so as a first year after a case of diagnosing a heart attack, you might take things like biochemistry of lipids, pharmacology of cholesterol, and physiology of heart failure. You are then tested on what you pick for your reading. At our campus, it's generally easy to get help from faculty who write exam questions if you have specific questions on material. We do not get formal quizzes (although that might have changed this year vs. last year), but there's all sorts of review materials out there for you to use to assess how you're doing.

Edited: typo/grammar

Last edited:
Hey I have my interview in a couple of weeks and I was wondering how they were? Also any tips??

received mail today. waitlist. interviewed 09/11. later decision. congrats to whoever got accepted!

For those that received a decision, did your portal change? And if so, how long afterwards did you receive the mail?

Interviewed on the 13th, status is "under review"

YAY ACCEPTED.

Quick question was accepted for LDP....but didnt rank that first. Anyone know if PBL at Erie is filled/how to go about requesting a pathway change?

Thanks!

Last edited:
YAY ACCEPTED.

Quick question was accepted for LDP....but didnt rank that first. Anyone know if PBL at Erie is filled/how to go about requesting a pathway change?

Thanks!

When did you interview/when did you notice a portal change?

YAY ACCEPTED.

Thanks!

When did you interview/when did you notice a portal change?

Interviewed mid September, opted for the deferred decision, and think my portal changed early this week

Ok i have a somewhat elemental question so bear with me. What did you guys take to your interview? Should i take a leather portfolio or something of that sort, or would it get in the way?

why would someone opt for a deferred decision?

More time for $1500 deposit if accepted (30 days from date on acceptance letter - less than 30 days in reality because it can take a week to get to you).

Oct. 1 (Early Decision) = Have until ~Nov. 1 to pay.
Nov. 15 (Regular) = Have until ~Dec. 15 to pay.

Ok i have a somewhat elemental question so bear with me. What did you guys take to your interview? Should i take a leather portfolio or something of that sort, or would it get in the way?
It will get in the way. You won't need it, nobody had one at my interview.

Interestingly, a lot of people had them during mine, and some people used them to take notes. But I recommend the only thing you bring is a pen, because they didn't pass any out during the time we ranked pathways.

Reactions: 1 users
What do people usually bring to carry those sorts of items in? Pockets for guys and a purse for girls?

Does anyone know if LECOM accepts update letters with grades for the Fall 2015 semester?

What do people usually bring to carry those sorts of items in? Pockets for guys and a purse for girls?
I'm not sure what sort of items you're talking about. The women brought purses, yes, and most suit jackets have a breast pocket for pens, if not in your pants.

AACOMAS has an academic update period that you should utilize for new grades.
The period ended mid-october, which doesn't make sense to me because it's no where near the end of the semester.

Edit: Saw another period opens again Jan 1, thank you!

I brought a leather portfolio, it wasn't that inconvenient for me and it allowed me to have a place to put the papers they hand out and have paper to take notes if I wished.

Same, brought a folder with me.

Has anyone from the Nov 19th group heard anything?

Same, brought a folder with me.

Has anyone from the Nov 19th group heard anything?
I don't think so. I think people who interviewed early November are still waiting as well. At least, I've seen no flood of accepted messages lately. Hopefully portal changes begin tomorrow for all November interviews.

I'm a girl so I brought a purse with a regular notebook. A lot of people in my interview group brought leather portfolios. There is a place to hang your coat and you can leave anything you bring in the presentation room when you have your interview and go for the tour.

I don't think so. I think people who interviewed early November are still waiting as well. At least, I've seen no flood of accepted messages lately. Hopefully portal changes begin tomorrow for all November interviews.
I interviewed 10/16 and still no decision
Waiting game