Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn I wish someone would have told me, I'll still give it my all at the interview just kinda wish they would disclose this information.

If this report can be verified, hell I'll straight up ask them tomorrow at the interview then we should make this a stickied post if that's possible so that those interviewing in March know whats up, no reason for people to be in the dark on this.
Please let us know after you get confirmation straight from the bird's mouth tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

This is interesting. A friend who recently interviewed told me that they were told the class was around 3/5 full. Even if it is "full" there is going to be a lottttt of movement as those holding multiple seats have to choose a school.
When i interviewed at LECOM-B this month somebody asked if there well still spots and admissions said that for both Erie/SH and B,, up to the last interview date, there will be people who will be offered an acceptance straight away.
So no you are not interviewing for a waitlist guys!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so I flew from across the United States to Erie so I could interview with my best prospect being Alternate List? This is great news as I sit at my hotel the night before. I hope your wrong or that's pretty messed up :/ if that's true they should at-least let the interviewees know this. I don't have much money and I spent quite a bit to get up here, here is to hoping it pays off!
Give your interview your best...don't go into it with a negative attitude you don't want that reflected.

This is interesting. A friend who recently interviewed told me that they were told the class was around 3/5 full. Even if it is "full" there is going to be a lottttt of movement as those holding multiple seats have to choose a school.
When i interviewed at LECOM-B this month somebody asked if there well still spots and admissions said that for both Erie/SH and B,, up to the last interview date, there will be people who will be offered an acceptance straight away.
So no you are not interviewing for a waitlist guys!

Thanks yellow....
Yeah guys honestly, I really wouldn't suggest making any major decisions about medical school based solely on user posts on student doctor network.

Best of luck to all

Reactions: 6 users
Don't EVER short yourself the chance of going to medical school because some anonymous poster said the class was full. I have classmates who interviewed in February and March and were accepted June, July, and even less than a week before school started.

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone gotten off the waitlist at this point? Do you guys know when they start accepting people from the WL?

Reactions: 1 user
My brother interviewed in mid January and his admission status is still "Thank you for interviewing at the Erie Campus, you will be notifed when the committee makes a decision on your application." Does this mean he's waitlisted? Or they haven't gotten to him yet?

Hey guys! Just finished the interview. I really enjoyed the campus and was a very low stress interview environment. I'm not quite used to the small town feel but hell being in medical school doesn't leave much room for other things anyway!

However it was asked about the class being full and the Dean said that they have sent out as many offers as there are seats (possibly a few more) but they expect a lot of movement between now and start of class. Hopes this helps anyone looking for clarification. I am here if you have any questions about the process for upcoming interviewees.

PS I am here in Erie for the day due to my flight out of buffalo not being until tomorrow, any places to grab a good drink or go out in Erie?

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! Just finished the interview. I really enjoyed the campus and was a very low stress interview environment. I'm not quite used to the small town feel but hell being in medical school doesn't leave much room for other things anyway!

However it was asked about the class being full and the Dean said that they have sent out as many offers as there are seats (possibly a few more) but they expect a lot of movement between now and start of class. Hopes this helps anyone looking for clarification. I am here if you have any questions about the process for upcoming interviewees.

PS I am here in Erie for the day due to my flight out of buffalo not being until tomorrow, any places to grab a good drink or go out in Erie?

I appreciate the update, @Jaymoh2010!

Interviewing at the SH campus on 3/28...unfortunately, I applied late in the cycle and this has been my only interview offer thus far. Still, I am very excited and would like to know if anyone has advice to offer?

I was also alternate listed in like October last year but probably will withdraw my app

You know what that means... I wouldn't be surprise if close to a hundred come off of the waiting list if not more..

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't EVER short yourself the chance of going to medical school because some anonymous poster said the class was full. I have classmates who interviewed in February and March and were accepted June, July, and even less than a week before school started.
O I completely agree, I meant when the class fills (if it's actually true and confirmed day admissions) the school should let interviewees know out of courtesy. I still would have interviewed most likely because I like the school but not everyone else feels that way especially if they are sitting on an acceptance already.

O I completely agree, I meant when the class fills (if it's actually true and confirmed day admissions) the school should let interviewees know out of courtesy. I still would have interviewed most likely because I like the school but not everyone else feels that way especially if they are sitting on an acceptance already.
Just remember there were people (like me) who put a deposit at LECOM but were waiting for other decisions to come through before we could make a final decision on where to go! My February PCOM interview decision didn't come back until late May- I decided LECOM was the right fit for me so I kept my seat, but many others will start moving their seats around once they get decisions from other institutions. :) good luck everyone!

I agree. I wouldn't just trust everything that people post on the internet...
I normally wouldn't either, however I also interviewed here on Friday and they confirmed seats are filled.

I normally wouldn't either, however I also interviewed here on Friday and they confirmed seats are filled.

They might be "filled" in the sense that enough invites were sent out vs the total # of class spots, but I've had current classmates accepted last year from March up until June. People put down deposits at one school while waiting for decisions from other schools. In fact, during my first week or so of class we had someone leave (not sure why) and they replaced that individual last minute with someone off the waitlist. Don't come in with a negative attitude, there is plenty of movement on the waitlist and will be up until classes start, leave a good impression and you'll still have a shot even now.

If you interviewed a few months ago and are still on the waitlist, now would be a good time to send in update letters to show your interest, demonstrate that your GPA has been solid (hopefully) or that you've committed yourself to other tasks whether it be research, volunteering, working etc.

They might be "filled" in the sense that enough invites were sent out vs the total # of class spots, but I've had current classmates accepted last year from March up until June. People put down deposits at one school while waiting for decisions from other schools. In fact, during my first week or so of class we had someone leave (not sure why) and they replaced that individual last minute with someone off the waitlist. Don't come in with a negative attitude, there is plenty of movement on the waitlist and will be up until classes start, leave a good impression and you'll still have a shot even now.

If you interviewed a few months ago and are still on the waitlist, now would be a good time to send in update letters to show your interest, demonstrate that your GPA has been solid (hopefully) or that you've committed yourself to other tasks whether it be research, volunteering, working etc.
In no way am I advocating someone ever come into any interview or school with a negative attitude. I think its only fair people know when a certain point as been reached as far as seats being filled with invitations/acceptances. Personally regardless of seats filled I loved LECOM and enjoyed the interview day but not everyone's situation is the same. I don't see updates on this status as unreasonable.

Last edited:
Thank you for confirming my initial post that the class is full. I would NOT post bull**** on SDN as I regularly check this site for information, and I would not want someone to give me bull****. I'm all for staying positive about interviews and this entire admissions process, but I also rather be realistic. There WILL be movement on the wait list, but that does not change the fact that it is full as of right NOW. There is NO reason for people to be thinking it is 1/2 full, 2/3 full, etc, when it is actually full until someone withdraws their seat. We can all have "hope" but lets not set expectations that are out of reach based on the circumstances. Good luck to everyone still waiting to come off the alternate list.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who interviewed on 2/4 had their status on portal change to " made a decision" yet?

I was under the impression during the interview that we would be receiving the letter in the mail within 30 days, but maybe I misunderstood/they could be running behind.

I interviewed in May last year and was waitlisted for a week, then was accepted. (I do not have a stellar GPA or EC or LoR - more like a avg non trad applicant). I know there will be a huge movement off the waitlist just like how it has been before.

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/4 had their status on portal change to " made a decision" yet?

I was under the impression during the interview that we would be receiving the letter in the mail within 30 days, but maybe I misunderstood/they could be running behind.
Technically they meant you would receive the letter within thirty days of a portal status change, not of your interview date. I had the same misconception.

Thank you for confirming my initial post that the class is full. I would NOT post bull**** on SDN as I regularly check this site for information, and I would not want someone to give me bull****. I'm all for staying positive about interviews and this entire admissions process, but I also rather be realistic. There WILL be movement on the wait list, but that does not change the fact that it is full as of right NOW. There is NO reason for people to be thinking it is 1/2 full, 2/3 full, etc, when it is actually full until someone withdraws their seat. We can all have "hope" but lets not set expectations that are out of reach based on the circumstances. Good luck to everyone still waiting to come off the alternate list.

I just called admissions. They said that they are definitely not full and are still sending out acceptances, especially at the SH campus. She also gave me the wise advise to not believe everything written on SDN. I'm curious to know where you got this info from. Pray tell...

It's more like do not trust anything the school says... aren't they the one giving answers that are all over the place to applicants here? Either way, it looks like they're looking to move onto the alternate list soon because they're sending out emails asking people if they're still interested in being on the list still.

I just called admissions. They said that they are definitely not full and are still sending out acceptances, especially at the SH campus. She also gave me the wise advise to not believe everything written on SDN. I'm curious to know where you got this info from. Pray tell...
Admissions clearly does not want anyone to cancel their interview. I got this info from LECOM - I have no reason to make it up. And it was confirmed by someone who interviewed there last Friday and asked the Dean.

Do not believe everything on SDN, sure, but Mark Kauffman (Associate Dean of Students, Enrollment and Management/Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies) told us directly that counting the letters that are out for acceptances, the class is full. Sure, there will be movement on the waitlist, and that is a good thing so no need to be all defensive and worried. Obviously if you call an admissions office they won't tell you they are full as that would deter students from applying.

Do not believe everything on SDN, sure, but Mark Kauffman (Associate Dean of Students, Enrollment and Management/Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies) told us directly that counting the letters that are out for acceptances, the class is full. Sure, there will be movement on the waitlist, and that is a good thing so no need to be all defensive and worried. Obviously if you call an admissions office they won't tell you they are full as that would deter students from applying.

At this point in time, "full" is probably relative. As in, right now, they've accepted enough people to fill the spots, but some of them might decline/withdraw/etc and then a spot would open up again. I'm under the impression that February-full is different than May-full.

It's also entirely possible that one campus or even one pathway is full at any give time but not another. Another possibility is that admissions only meets so often, and communication between Erie & Seton Hill is less than perfect-- so the person you happen to get on the phone might not have up to date information (particularly if you're asking one campus about the other).

Overall, I agree with you all that interviewing for the waitlist sucks. Having said that, A) the waitlist moves a lot so don't give up hope and B) this is unfortunately very common practice, and very much not specific to LECOM. Any time March or later I think it's probably safe to assume that all schools are full or close to it, but that doesn't mean it's not worth interviewing.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys, I have been complete and at "Your application is under review" since October without an II... What does this mean? Still considering? Silent reject? I know some school's take a while but it's been way too long haha

Getting really nervous about my interview on the fourth!
Don't be nervous! The interviews were very low stress and short. The people were very nice and the group style interview isn't as stressful as you would be led to believe. I actually thought it was really helpful in terms of seeing what all the other applicants were like.

Hey guys, I have been complete and at "Your application is under review" since October without an II... What does this mean? Still considering? Silent reject? I know some school's take a while but it's been way too long haha
Nobody can be sure what that means, but its rather strange that you didn't get II 5 months since being complete. What are your stats?

Bittersweet emailing admissions today. :(

I am withdrawing my interview on 3/10 due to an acceptance at one of my state schools this morning.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful and supportive through the application cycle! You guys have been so amazing. I hope this opens up a sooner interview date for someone. Wishing the best of luck to everyone! I can't wait to be working alongside one another in the future!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to the Erie campus today! Now the ultimate question, LECOM or KYCOM?

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing on the 10th! Very excited! How many people do they usually interview on interview day?

My day there was literally upwards of 60 people

Im confused about the LOR. Is it separate from the LOR that I have already uploaded to AACOMAS?

Im confused about the LOR. Is it separate from the LOR that I have already uploaded to AACOMAS?
No. They just don't port them over until they send you an invitation to interview.

My day had about 50 people. Good luck on your interview.

Alternate listed:(. Interviewed Jan 7th :'(
My interview was two weeks after yours, so I'm assuming I'm in the same boat (but most likely in the rejection pile), Since apparently the dean or directors have stated they gave out all the acceptances and the class is full.. I am just now waiting to get that letter in the mail. I waited 3 months for my interview date from when i scheduled it (and I picked the first available date offered to me), and am now waiting another month to get my decison, meanwhile the class is full!

Hey guys, just a couple of questions; is there a difference between being alternate listed/waitlisted for LECOM? I've read differing accounts saying that there is/isn't a difference. I was just wondering if someone can clarify this for me.

Also, as someone who was just put on the wait list, does the pathway you chose on interview day affect your chance of acceptance? I chose DSP, which I understand to have less available seats than LDP, which I ranked as my number 2.