Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, just a couple of questions; is there a difference between being alternate listed/waitlisted for LECOM? I've read differing accounts saying that there is/isn't a difference. I was just wondering if someone can clarify this for me.

Also, as someone who was just put on the wait list, does the pathway you chose on interview day affect your chance of acceptance? I chose DSP, which I understand to have less available seats than LDP, which I ranked as my number 2.
As to your first question, those are synonymous terms.

For the second... What affects your pathway is what is full. So they might go to your second choice once movement starts happening on the wait list of DSP is already full by the time they get to your name. I'm unsure if they rank their alternates, since that might be a confusing mess with all of the pathway choices.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As to your first question, those are synonymous terms.

For the second... What affects your pathway is what is full. So they might go to your second choice once movement starts happening on the wait list of DSP is already full by the time they get to your name. I'm unsure if they rank their alternates, since that might be a confusing mess with all of the pathway choices.

Thank you very much for the reply. Do you know if LECOM is one of the schools that expects you to send Letter of Interests if you're on the waitlist?

Thank you very much for the reply. Do you know if LECOM is one of the schools that expects you to send Letter of Interests if you're on the waitlist?
I don't think they expect it, but it can never hurt.

ETA: And from what I've read, are usually a good idea if placed on an alternate list.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
After interviewing today they said they are very receptive to letters of intent. I absolutely loved this place!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everybody. I know I am extremely late in this application cycle. I am currently a P1 @ SWOSU College of Pharmacy in Oklahoma. I am applying via the Academic Index. Does anybody have any additional information about this? Has anybody been accepted using their ACT score? I should also state that I am applying to the Bradenton Campus. I talked to the Director of Admissions earlier today and she stated that entrance via the Academic Index program is VERY competitive at this point.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to all of you!

II this morning via the portal! I understand all of the odds piled up against me, but it's my first interview of the season.

Reactions: 13 users
Hi everybody. I know I am extremely late in this application cycle. I am currently a P1 @ SWOSU College of Pharmacy in Oklahoma. I am applying via the Academic Index. Does anybody have any additional information about this? Has anybody been accepted using their ACT score? I should also state that I am applying to the Bradenton Campus. I talked to the Director of Admissions earlier today and she stated that entrance via the Academic Index program is VERY competitive at this point.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to all of you!

If you're applying only to Bradenton you might have better luck in that thread. Do you mean that you JUST submitted your application?

I believe a small part of the reason for the delayed movement is because LECOM is saving a lot of seats for their postbac students (120 of us) and the program ends mid-April. What that means is that for those who don't meet the 3.0 GPA at the end of the program will forfeit their seat and that will go to those on the alternate/waitlist. However, I know a few of my postbac classmates have already received rejection letters and two people from my study group got alternate list letters pending that they finish the program with a 3.0. Best of luck to you bro.
Masters or the undergrad postbac? So basically if you made a 3.0, ur guaranteed a seat? How does the linkage program work??

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I was put on the alternate list after my interview on 12/11. I am thinking at this point I should have a back up plan just in case I end up rejected. I want to apply to the Masters program in Bradenton, but am I allowed to apply to that while I still have an active application to LECOM-Erie? Do you think I would be rejected from medical school because I am showing that I have interest in their masters program? Obviously my first choice would be to start medical school this year. On another note, are people sending in letters of intent/updated info who are on the wait list, where are you sending it to?

I was put on the alternate list after my interview on 12/11. I am thinking at this point I should have a back up plan just in case I end up rejected. I want to apply to the Masters program in Bradenton, but am I allowed to apply to that while I still have an active application to LECOM-Erie? Do you think I would be rejected from medical school because I am showing that I have interest in their masters program? Obviously my first choice would be to start medical school this year. On another note, are people sending in letters of intent/updated info who are on the wait list, where are you sending it to?
I don't know if you're "allowed" to or not, but earlier in this thread someone had accepted a seat in Erie and Bradenton then emailed them a rejection based on that. Not sure if something similar would happen here or not.

Interviewed 03/04, admissions committee made a decision today. The wait might give me a heart attack.

Interviewed 1/28, decision made and mailed today. Does it actually take 30 days to get a decision out though?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/28, decision made and mailed today. Does it actually take 30 days to get a decision out though?
It depends on when they actually mail the letter and how far away you live. Decision made doesn't mean they mailed it today. They have to print all the letters, have someone sign them, put them in envelopes, etc. When my decision was made, they waited until the following Monday to mail, and I received it that Friday. I live around 700 miles away.

Interviewed on 2/12 as well and status hasn't changed for me either.
It's taking right around a month, sometimes just a little over, for most candidates to notice a portal change. Hang in there!

So is hearing back this fast bad?
Not at all. I mean, of course I can't officially say. But I do know for a select few, they really liked them and made quicker decisions.

Hey guys. I'm a 4th year LECOM medical student with available housing for rent. It's a 3 bedroom 1 bath house in a safe neighborhood with hardwood floors, huge kitchen, 2 car driveway, big backyard, laundry and dryer in the basement, and lots of storage space. Within 5 minute drive to grocery store, asian food store (maybe the only one in Erie), banks, post office, and is within 10 minutes drive from LECOM and wellness center. No pets allowed.

I have a video tour of the house in this link below.
https://www.facebook.com/howard.chang.980/videos/10152386410523501/?l=7803168878794192300

Rent is $1000/month. Water, garbage/sewage, lawn mowing is included.
Available for lease starting July 15. Current tenant is willing to move out as early as May 15.
I lived there for 2 years and then had another LECOM student live in it the next 2 years. It's a great place to live and it's nice and quiet for studying. Message me if interested!

Congratulations to those who were accepted into the incoming class and good luck to those who are waiting.

Anyone recently got a II ? if so when were you complete

I interviewed on 2/18 and there hasn't been any portal change :( I'm not sure what to expect at this point, but I'm really hoping to get in!

I interviewed on 2/18 and there hasn't been any portal change :( I'm not sure what to expect at this point, but I'm really hoping to get in!
Hang in there Z! You are almost there!!!

So I overhead some people on the Erie campus today (they had green tags- staff?) talking about no more mandatory attendance for LDP or allotting a certain amount of non-attendance per semester.

Can any first or second year LDP students please address this if it was talked about amongst your class?

interviewed on 1/22 and got letter saying that selected as alternate for the class off 2020. What this means?

interviewed on 1/22 and got letter saying that selected as alternate for the class off 2020. What this means?
It means you have been placed on the wait list, and that you might be offered a seat once they start getting letters from people who have chosen to go elsewhere.

So I overhead some people on the Erie campus today (they had green tags- staff?) talking about no more mandatory attendance for LDP or allotting a certain amount of non-attendance per semester.

Can any first or second year LDP students please address this if it was talked about amongst your class?
Not a current student, so this is just conjecture, but I don't see how this is possible. They made a point of saying they don't record their lectures for the students (though you can audio record if you ask the prof), so unless they initiate a new process with a service like Camtasia, classes will still be mandatory if you want to gain anything as an LDP student.

It means you have been placed on the wait list, and that you might be offered a seat once they start getting letters from people who have chosen to go elsewhere.

Thanks @codarra. What are the chances waitlist students get a seat?

is anyone in this thread got accepted after receiving waitlist letters?

is anyone in this thread got accepted after receiving waitlist letters?
I would say it is way too early in the game for that. Acceptance off the waitlist usually happens May-July unfortunately

is anyone aware of how many DO seats in Erie ? eagerly want to know how many applicants they keep in wait list in each year.?

is anyone aware of how many DO seats in Erie ? eagerly want to know how many applicants they keep in wait list in each year.?
Well going off of their match list form last year, they have 266 spots in Erie (does not specify between paths), 96 in SH (this is PBL exclusive), and 180 in Bradenton (PBL as well). I had to add the match for each specialty so i could be slightly off but the numbers are around what you should expect.
There is no telling on the size of the waitlist though :/

Just got an II from here on Friday!
Well, for the Bradenton site.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Well going off of their match list form last year, they have 266 spots in Erie (does not specify between paths), 96 in SH (this is PBL exclusive), and 180 in Bradenton (PBL as well). I had to add the match for each specialty so i could be slightly off but the numbers are around what you should expect.

I'd estimate closer to 110 for Seton Hill; earlier classes at my campus were a little smaller and/or lost a few people to Erie, etc, but my class (of 2018) currently has 112.

Thanks @Johnyellow

I'd estimate closer to 110 for Seton Hill; earlier classes at my campus were a little smaller and/or lost a few people to Erie, etc, but my class (of 2018) currently has 112.

My class (2019) is the same as well, give or take a handful due to drops over the course of the year.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but in case you missed my previous post: it's all wait list at this point in the cycle.

Has anyone that interviewed on 2/4 had their portal change yet? So anxious to hear something!

Has anyone that interviewed on 2/4 had their portal change yet? So anxious to hear something!

According to the current trend, you should hear back next week. Last week of Jan. Interview decisions should be complete this week.