Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 1/12
Accepted 1/15 - phone call at 7:30pm

So excited! I love how LMU doesn't waste any time offering acceptances. We were told we wouldn't be notified until Friday but it ended up being one day earlier. This is my top choice unless I get into an in-state school. Good luck to everyone still interviewing!

Hey, we interviewed on the same day and both got accepted! Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm interviewing next Friday and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips/feedback. This will be my first closed file interview so I'm a little nervous! Anyone else interviewing the 23rd? I'm so excited to go after hearing how much everyone has loved it!! :)

Hey guys! I'm interviewing next Friday and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips/feedback. This will be my first closed file interview so I'm a little nervous! Anyone else interviewing the 23rd? I'm so excited to go after hearing how much everyone has loved it!! :)
I'll be there. I'm excited. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Be yourself and fill them in on your life. For preperation, I plan to review just my application.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry much about it. It really is just a conversation. Be professional, be yourself and expect that you may end up chatting about non medical school related things. The last 15 minutes of my interview we were talking about Texas BBQ vs TN BBQ.

Don't worry much about it. It really is just a conversation. Be professional, be yourself and expect that you may end up chatting about non medical school related things....
+1

@MSUstudentK I would also add to think of "Why DO/Osteopathic Medicine" and "Why DCOM?" Questions. But again be yourself and it'll be ok.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question for the current students attending dcom. The school seems amazing and I really love it based on everything I have read and seen. My question is, what are some of the negatives of dcom? What are some of the things you wish you knew before going there? I have read and seen a lot of the pros of dcom, so I really want to know the cons. Than you

do they send you a confirmation email or phone call after submitting your deposit? I sent in my deposit and information for the anatomy boot camp about 4 or 5 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. And the checks haven't played foinformation for the anatomy boot camp about 4 or 5 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. And the checks haven't cleared for my account yet.r my account yet.

do they send you a confirmation email or phone call after submitting your deposit? I sent in my deposit and information for the anatomy boot camp about 4 or 5 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. And the checks haven't played foinformation for the anatomy boot camp about 4 or 5 days ago and haven't heard anything yet. And the checks haven't cleared for my account yet.r my account yet.

They snail mailed me a receipt for my deposit. And then the check cleared

I have a question for the current students attending dcom. The school seems amazing and I really love it based on everything I have read and seen. My question is, what are some of the negatives of dcom? What are some of the things you wish you knew before going there? I have read and seen a lot of the pros of dcom, so I really want to know the cons. Than you

If you're a city person, the location would be a negative. It's a beautiful area for hiking, running, etc. but it's not near much. Though Knoxville is only an hour away and you're going to be spending most of your time in a study room anyway. Another could be the small amount of research opportunities. They are on the increase and I think that it will eventually get there, but it's just not there yet.

Those are two of my biggest negatives personally. Overall, though, I'm happy with DCOM. I just got my city and research in a summer internship. :D

If you're a city person, the location would be a negative. It's a beautiful area for hiking, running, etc. but it's not near much. Though Knoxville is only an hour away and you're going to be spending most of your time in a study room anyway. Another could be the small amount of research opportunities. They are on the increase and I think that it will eventually get there, but it's just not there yet.

Those are two of my biggest negatives personally. Overall, though, I'm happy with DCOM. I just got my city and research in a summer internship. :D
Where do most students do research? That's one of my issues actually. Do they head down to Knoxville, or do they find something close to home during the summer between m1 and m2?

Where do most students do research? That's one of my issues actually. Do they head down to Knoxville, or do they find something close to home during the summer between m1 and m2?

The two options most people do are do a summer project with faculty at DCOM or find an outside institution for summer research. You can search online for summer medical student research internships or if you just know someone who will take you. You can also do ongoing research during the school year, but I don't think a lot of it is near publication yet.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed 1/12 and got accepted gotten a letter in the mail yet? How long do we have to submit the deposit?

Has anyone who interviewed 1/12 and got accepted gotten a letter in the mail yet? How long do we have to submit the deposit?
I got mine yesterday. You have 30 days to submit a deposit after receiving your acceptance letter. I believe that number goes down to 15 days or two weeks later on this cycle, but if you interviewed on 1/12, you should have 30 days from whenever you get your acceptance letter.

Yes unfortunately I have to drive all the way from Utah. So that is a 26 hr drive. But thanks for the info! I'll look into that.

What part of utah are you from? Where did you do undergrad?
I went to the University of Utah!

For those of you that had to rent a car from the airport: Any advice for someone that is under the age of 25? I don't know if there are any rental companies that don't have the age restriction and I am 24.

For those of you that had to rent a car from the airport: Any advice for someone that is under the age of 25? I don't know if there are any rental companies that don't have the age restriction and I am 24.
You should be able to pay an underaged fee

Yeah, I'm 24 and had zero issues with Enterprise. Also, don't forget LMU has a partnership with them, so use their code. I think only saved less than 10$, but money is money!

Also, driving to LMU, there was a huge amount of random school zones right in the middle of the freeway. There were sheriffs at every one, so slow down haha!
Even if there are no cops or sheriffs you should slow down...it turns out that the town of Tazewell was kind enough to send me a personalized photo of my car doing 62 in a 55. I mean, I knew the people down south were friendly but who knew they were that friendly?

Well duh. I just meant be on the lookout. At least from where I'm from it's really weird to have schools zones on a highway.
no no no, i meant to slow down even if u don't see cops because apparently they have hidden speed cams. didn't mean to come off as all goody two shoes lol.

Accepted! Got the letter today. No call! Does anyone know how the background thing works? It didn't really come with instructions.
Congrats! And I thought the same thing. I'm wondering if they'll get back to us with more detailed instructions for everything we need to complete once we send in our deposit.

Accepted! Got the letter today. No call! Does anyone know how the background thing works? It didn't really come with instructions.

You got to the certified background site, put the code into the order box, then you create an account. After that it's pretty self explanatory

You got to the certified background site, put the code into the order box, then you create an account. After that it's pretty self explanatory

Yeah that's what I figured but I can't find that code haha. None of my paperwork has it.

Congrats. I got put on pre-interview hold yesterday. :arghh: I also learned AACOMAS hasn't sent schools an update with fall grades and didn't grant me retake status on 1 class. That's 14 credits of bio courses @ 4.0 that they don't know about. I'll see if screenshots of my unofficial transcript will tip the scales for an II. My #1 school choice!

Can anyone tell me what time on Thursday is the dinner at the pizza joint? I was originally going to make it for sure, but now it's up in the air.

Congrats. I got put on pre-interview hold yesterday. :arghh: I also learned AACOMAS hasn't sent schools an update with fall grades and didn't grant me retake status on 1 class. That's 14 credits of bio courses @ 4.0 that they don't know about. I'll see if screenshots of my unofficial transcript will tip the scales for an II. My #1 school choice!

How did they notify you of this? E-mail? Phone? Snail mail?

LMU-DCOM notified me by email. AACOMAS replied to my email after I emailed them first.
When were you complete? My application has been complete since November and I've heard nothing. This is my top choice, so I don't know what to think.

Last edited:
I've been complete since 12/1.
Don't know if it's a silent rejection or what. I hate being in the dark, lol.
It took a couple weeks for me to hear that I got an interview invite, but you also have to take into consideration that they probably had at least a couple weeks off for the holidays. I could be wrong, but I assume that if they wanted to reject me, they would. Schools seem to have no problem telling people "Thanks but no thanks." As long as you haven't gotten a rejection letter, assume that you're still in the game. Applications slow down, so if you're still in the pool of viable candidates, your number may come up.

And if it doesn't, then do what you can to improve your chances for the next cycle. Not everyone gets in on the first try. I certainly didn't.

For people that have already paid the deposit and are working on the certified background thing, what is actually requested from the portion that asks about us needing our records from our doctor? Is it just immunizations? I don't insurance and haven't seen a doc (personally) since I was a kid. What do I do in that situation? Also, I'm poor so I'm not sure the best to get the requirements.

Can anyone tell me what time on Thursday is the dinner at the pizza joint? I was originally going to make it for sure, but now it's up in the air.
It should be at 6:30! That's when ours was at least

For people that have already paid the deposit and are working on the certified background thing, what is actually requested from the portion that asks about us needing our records from our doctor? Is it just immunizations? I don't insurance and haven't seen a doc (personally) since I was a kid. What do I do in that situation? Also, I'm poor so I'm not sure the best to get the requirements.

I can't say for sure, but if it's like anyplace else I've had to deal with, you will need immunizations and titers to prove that they were effective. If you have no income, my recommendation is you look up your local health department. That will be the cheapest place to get your bloodwork done, but if it's anything like the health department here, expect it to be a full day trip. It took several hours to get my bloodwork done at the health department a few years ago. Bring a book.

It should be at 6:30! That's when ours was at least

I'll do my best to make it. I have another interview tomorrow, and then I have to drive from Lexington down to Harrowgate. Worst case, I'll be a little late. Crazy as it sounds, I'm more excited for LMU-DCOM than UK, but mostly because UK is past their second look date and good LORD, out of state tuition is a killer. It sucks being out of state.

Just received an email stating that my app "on hold" pre-interview. Should I give the school a call to see what specifically is causing the delay?
Stats: GPA: 3.91 MCAT 29 (11/7/11) CANADIAN

Just received an email stating that my app "on hold" pre-interview. Should I give the school a call to see what specifically is causing the delay?
Stats: GPA: 3.91 MCAT 29 (11/7/11) CANADIAN
Damn. I'd definitely give them a call. I can't see that they'd be that tough on you guys.

Can any of the medical students comment on how DCOM students generally do on the USMLE? I know the pass rates for the COMLEX are pretty high.

Can any of the medical students comment on how DCOM students generally do on the USMLE? I know the pass rates for the COMLEX are pretty high.
I'm not sure if they actually collect or publish data on how we do on the USMLE. If I had to guess, I would say it would probably be pretty good due to self selecting students taking it wanting ACGME residencies. It is more likely that a high achieving student takes it versus a student that is in the bottom quartile of the class just hoping to pass step 1.

What I can say, though, is that the USMLE is relatively highly emphasized here. Comlex obviously gets more focus, but many times our basic science staff will say "This is high yield on Comlex and USMLE". I have heard three separate (DO) professors state that we should absolutely take the USMLE. I believe they just altered the schedule for 2nd years to give MUCH more dedicated study time for step 1. Which is extremely welcomed.

If you look in the osteopathic med students section there is a thread called "pros and cons of your do school". I did a pretty detailed review there.

Damn. I'd definitely give them a call. I can't see that they'd be that tough on you guys.
Thanks! I gave Janette a call and she mentioned that my stats warranted me "high priority" for getting re-reviewed for today. She also mentioned she was a bit dumbfounded about how I didn't get an immediate ii...

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure if they actually collect or publish data on how we do on the USMLE. If I had to guess, I would say it would probably be pretty good due to self selecting students taking it wanting ACGME residencies. It is more likely that a high achieving student takes it versus a student that is in the bottom quartile of the class just hoping to pass step 1.

What I can say, though, is that the USMLE is relatively highly emphasized here. Comlex obviously gets more focus, but many times our basic science staff will say "This is high yield on Comlex and USMLE". I have heard three separate (DO) professors state that we should absolutely take the USMLE. I believe they just altered the schedule for 2nd years to give MUCH more dedicated study time for step 1. Which is extremely welcomed.
I'll probably try to get into an ACGME residency, so this is great to hear. Thank you!