LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First off, that residency map thing is awesome! :) Thanks for putting it up!

Secondly, for people who are deciding between LMU and other schools, pick LMU! jk! When I interviewed in early Feb, the thing that I noticed was that everyone seemed genuine and warm, and when I walked out of that interview, I really felt that I had connected with what was being asked in the interview questions. The school obviously looked great and has the small town feel. A REALLY small town feel lol. Obviously its not for everyone but I think improvements will continue, so by the time we get to rotations, it should be even better!

C/o 2013 here. Almost finished OMS III. I can tell you that there is a GREAT benefit to being in a REALLY small town. It helps you focus on the essentials. Creates a better sense of community among the students. Go for it! DCOM is the best decision I've ever made.

Members don't see this ad.

I am about to start looking for a place to live in harrogate or middlesboro. Any suggestions on which real estate agency to use?

Ball Reality!!! They have some great apartments. singles, doubles. Great prices. Just google Ball Reality for the number. Highly Recommended.

Couple people have said shorts and a polo are OK in the warmer months.

i pretty much wore jeans, shorts, polo every day. As long as they are not jeans with holes in them or faded. Just be professional. We are doctors. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ball Reality!!! They have some great apartments. singles, doubles. Great prices. Just google Ball Reality for the number. Highly Recommended.

Unless something has changed Ball is full for next year. Give them a ring to be sure but keep your eyes peeled for other options in the interim.

www.dcomdo.com is basically the best place for housing right now. A woman put up a house in the Facebook group this morning. 3br/2ba @ $1050/mo.

"Great, modern, clean 3 bdrm 2 bath available in Harrogate just a few miles from campus. Creek in back yard. Rent $1050 Deposit $900 Now available and ready for you to move in! PM or call 423-869-0075 Heartland Real Estate."

So, can anyone give me some honest advice. I've been accepted to both VCOM and LMU-DCOM and I absolutely loved both schools. I am so excited but I am really not sure which one is going to be the better option. Does anyone know the positives and negatives of the two schools?

So, can anyone give me some honest advice. I've been accepted to both VCOM and LMU-DCOM and I absolutely loved both schools. I am so excited but I am really not sure which one is going to be the better option. Does anyone know the positives and negatives of the two schools?

This is potentially the toughest situation you could be put into. Both schools have very similar missions, very similar programs, comparable class size, similar facilities and very similar match statistics overall. VCOM does perhaps have more in terms of secondary perks (access to VT facilities, etc.) but at the end of the two years how much does that really matter in terms of passing COMLEX?

Then.... to me, the decision largely comes down to which school made you feel the most comfortable and which area made you feel the most comfortable. If you've always lived in a urban environment you may find Blacksburg more to your liking. It's still a small city by urban standards but Harrogate is much, much smaller than Blacksburg. However, many people like the fact that Harrogate is smaller and has less distractions - after all, your primary goal is to come out ahead.

Which school did you feel like you belonged at? Most people talk about how they "just knew," did you feel like that at either school?

In terms of education, both schools are going to be nearly identical.. The difference may come when you are in your 3rd and 4th years doing rotation. VCOM is more established so obviously they are going to be able to provide more options. In addition, you will have the VT name and facilities (science and recreational) at your disposal and if you're interested in research those will come in handy. Outside of school, it depends on the experience that you want.. If you want to be in a place that is free of distractions i.e. NOT college town, then DCOM is the place to be. There's not a lot going, ever. But if you like the college town feel and want to know that you'll always have something to do if you ever get a second away from studying, then I'd go VCOM. You'll also have access to their rec, libraries and most importantly bars.

In terms of education, both schools are going to be nearly identical.. The difference may come when you are in your 3rd and 4th years doing rotation. VCOM is more established so obviously they are going to be able to provide more options. In addition, you will have the VT name and facilities (science and recreational) at your disposal and if you're interested in research those will come in handy. Outside of school, it depends on the experience that you want.. If you want to be in a place that is free of distractions i.e. NOT college town, then DCOM is the place to be. There's not a lot going, ever. But if you like the college town feel and want to know that you'll always have something to do if you ever get a second away from studying, then I'd go VCOM. You'll also have access to their rec, libraries and most importantly bars.

To be fair, "want to know that you'll always have something to do if you ever get a second away," is subjective. There's 20,508 acres of national park about 2 minutes from DCOM. It depends on what you consider your desired recreational activities to be. If it's getting hosed at the bar Blacksburg wins hands down.

Hi GBMIndeed - Your mailbox is full and I cannot send U response.

To be fair, "want to know that you'll always have something to do if you ever get a second away," is subjective. There's 20,508 acres of national park about 2 minutes from DCOM. It depends on what you consider your desired recreational activities to be. If it's getting hosed at the bar Blacksburg wins hands down.

If all you want to do is get hosed at the bar, the Caboose and UNC are an easy walk back to the University Inn!

Even the students who love outdoors, hiking, etc. will end up going down to the Smokies and other places rather than spend all their free time in that park. But you will create your own other things to do.

Hello, just thought I would let you all know that I officially declined my acceptance today- I hope one of you gets the phone call soon. Good luck

If all you want to do is get hosed at the bar, the Caboose and UNC are an easy walk back to the University Inn!

Even the students who love outdoors, hiking, etc. will end up going down to the Smokies and other places rather than spend all their free time in that park. But you will create your own other things to do.

I regret to form everyone that the UNC has, in fact, been closed down. Last I heard, LMU actually bought it, but I am unsure of the plans for the building. Also, the Caboose is temporarily shut down during a changeover in ownership. They will be renamed the Cumberland Gap Tavern and are set to reopen on June 14th. I'm sure that's all tentative, but if you want to stay up to date on that, add their FB page!

I personally recommend Bubba Brew's for a night out without driving all the way to Knoxville. It's a short drive (25 min or so), but it's worth it! Outdoor restaurant/bar on the water!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a brad paisley song that describes my situation. Waitin on a woman.... But the woman is lmu lol

Just declined my acceptance to DCOM... Hope one of y'all gets my seat! Good luck!

What's the class size for Class of 2016? Is it still around 160 or did it expand to around 240 for 2016?

What's the class size for Class of 2016? Is it still around 160 or did it expand to around 240 for 2016?

225 - although they have probably accepted more than that for attrition purposes.

Just a quick question, I want to know how many letters besides the three required would the schools take? I have 6, is that too much?

Finally got my interview! Woo! 10/29 Robin is awesome.

You guys do realize you are posting on last years forum, right? :rolleyes: