Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really like this school. Might apply as backup depending on my MCAT score

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the entering 2015 class, MU-COM has added three additional prerequisites: biochemistry, psychology, and sociology (3 credit hours or 4 quarter hours in each).
  • The biochemistry prerequisite is lecture only. There is no minimum level (100, 200, etc.) but the committee will consider the degree of difficulty as it does with all completed coursework.
  • MU-COM does not allow substitutions. For example, biochemistry cannot be used for biology.
  • MU-COM does not render decisions on whether or not a class satisfies the prerequisite unless the applicant is admitted. Until a final decision is rendered, we default to what is reported on the AACOMAS application.
  • MU-COM will review anthropology classes on a case-by-case basis for sociology. However, a sociology course will better prepare the applicant for the Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior section of MCAT 2015.
Admissions

Good luck to everyone applying for the entering fall 2015 class.
Thank you for your interest in MU-COM!

Admissions

Just sent in my app! definitely one of my top choices.

Regarding the entering 2015 class, MU-COM has added three additional prerequisites: biochemistry, psychology, and sociology (3 credit hours or 4 quarter hours in each).
  • The biochemistry prerequisite is lecture only. There is no minimum level (100, 200, etc.) but the committee will consider the degree of difficulty as it does with all completed coursework.
  • MU-COM does not allow substitutions. For example, biochemistry cannot be used for biology.
  • MU-COM does not render decisions on whether or not a class satisfies the prerequisite unless the applicant is admitted. Until a final decision is rendered, we default to what is reported on the AACOMAS application.
  • MU-COM will review anthropology classes on a case-by-case basis for sociology. However, a sociology course will better prepare the applicant for the Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior section of MCAT 2015.
Admissions

Do you guys usually accept writing intensive courses in lieu of the english requirement?

Just sent in my app! definitely one of my top choices.

Do you guys usually accept writing intensive courses in lieu of the english requirement?

Generally, yes, but it is a case by case determination. Supportive documentation would be supplied once a final decision is rendered on the application.

Admissions

MUCOM admissions is great so please use this thread to your advantage, but if you have any quesetions for recent applicant feel free to shoot me a PM!
I was admitted into the 2018 class:
and since everyone will ask... MCAT 31, cGPA ~ 3.6, sGPA ~ 3.5, military, and lots of medical related extracurriculars.

Best of Luck to you All!

Very interested in this school! Hopefully, I can get lucky :)

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions

Have a quick question regarding this: I was on the ball and sent in transcripts way early, and have them verified already, so I can't change the courses unless by AACOMAS's permission. Would I have to change my app to reflect a planned sociology course to be considered for acceptance at MU-COM or is that something that I would directly contact your school about? I just want to avoid having my application discarded because it didn't reflect the planned sociology course. Thanks in advance

Have a quick question regarding this: I was on the ball and sent in transcripts way early, and have them verified already, so I can't change the courses unless by AACOMAS's permission. Would I have to change my app to reflect a planned sociology course to be considered for acceptance at MU-COM or is that something that I would directly contact your school about? I just want to avoid having my application discarded because it didn't reflect the planned sociology course. Thanks in advance

Because the prerequisites must be completed before matriculation not before application or admission, your application will be processed. In the meantime, you can revise what you submitted originally by contacting AACOMAS.

Admissions

Admissions

Regarding this, I just graduated and have never taken a sociology course. However, I have taken multiple psychology classes, could those be substituted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding this, I just graduated and have never taken a sociology course. However, I have taken multiple psychology classes, could those be substituted?

Sorry, but substitutions are not permitted.

MU-COM

Hi MUCOM!

Can an applicant still be invited for an interview if they still plan on retaking their MCAT? Assuming their score is reasonable?

Thank you :)

Hi MUCOM!

Can an applicant still be invited for an interview if they still plan on retaking their MCAT? Assuming their score is reasonable?

Thank you :)

It is possible, but remember the review is holistic.

If you are concerned about the competitiveness of your MCAT and have plans to retake it, make sure the future test date is listed on the AACOMAS application in the "Planned MCAT" section.

Admissions

Sorry, but substitutions are not permitted.

MU-COM

Some of these small requirements are a little ridiculous IMO, especially if they're so strict about them. Despite my interest in the school, it looks like I won't be applying here.

Additionally, if a student were to take more science classes during their application year, how would that impact their competitiveness or application? Are provisional acceptances in place based upon the performance of these classes? (Post-Bacc)

Thank you again for your help!

Some of these small requirements are a little ridiculous IMO, especially if they're so strict about them. Despite my interest in the school, it looks like I won't be applying here.
Loool

They wouldn't be requirements if they weren't, y'know, required.

Hello MU-COM,

Thank you so much for answering our questions on SDN. Where should we submit our letters of recommendation (LOR)? Is 3200 Cold Spring Road Indianapolis, Indiana 46222 the correct address? Your 2015 LOR address does not appear on Interfolio. Thanks in advance.

- MU-COM re-applicant

Hello MU-COM,

Thank you so much for answering our questions on SDN. Where should we submit our letters of recommendation (LOR)? Is 3200 Cold Spring Road Indianapolis, Indiana 46222 the correct address? Your 2015 LOR address does not appear on Interfolio. Thanks in advance.

- MU-COM re-applicant

We do not accept paper recommendations. Our school name will appear on Interfolio no later than July 1 when we start accepting recommendations.

Admissions

For the 2014-2015 admissions cycle, MU-COM has established the following dates:

June 20, 2014
Download AACOMAS mailing #1.

June 23, 2014
Pre-screening begins.

June 25, 2014
Supplemental application invitations start.
Letters of recommendation can be submitted to Interfolio and VirtualEvals.

July 15, 2014
AACOMAS application deadline for Early Decision Program (EDP).

July 25, 2014
Open House (for prospective students and academic advisors).

August 15, 2014
Application materials deadline for EDP.

September 12, 2014

Interviews start.

September 18, 2014
Admissions committee starts.

March 1, 2015
AACOMAS application deadline.

April 1, 2015
Supplemental application deadline at 5 PM EDT.

April 3, 2015
Processing ends. Materials received after 5 PM EDT will not be processed.

April 11, 2015
Interviews end.

May 14, 2015
Admissions committee ends.

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

Reactions: 3 users

June 20, 2014
Download AACOMAS mailing #1.

June 23, 2014
Pre-screening begins.

June 25, 2014

July 15, 2014
AACOMAS application deadline for Early Decision Program (EDP).

July 25, 2014
Open House (for prospective students and academic advisors).

August 15, 2014
Application materials deadline for EDP.

September 12, 2014

Interviews start.

September 18, 2014
Admissions committee starts.

March 1, 2015
AACOMAS application deadline.

April 1, 2015
Supplemental application deadline at 5 PM EDT.

April 3, 2015
Processing ends. Materials received after 5 PM EDT will not be processed.

April 11, 2015
Interviews end.

May 14, 2015
Admissions committee ends.

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

Thanks for this. Any idea when interview invites will start to be sent out?

Good luck everyone, if you have any questions for a first-year student PM me!

June 25, 2014

Are letters by E-mail still an option this year? I have a few professors that did not want to use Interfolio.

Yeah, I was totally planning on applying here too but there's no way I'm wasting another $1500 to take a sociology class that will unquestionably change nothing regarding my performance as a doctor. Bummer.

It's also weird that their reasoning is to improve MCAT performance when none of the applicants entering in 2015 will even be able to take the new MCAT during this application cycle.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was totally planning on applying here too but there's no way I'm wasting another $1500 to take a sociology class that will unquestionably change nothing regarding my performance as a doctor. Bummer.

It's also weird that their reasoning is to improve MCAT performance when none of the applicants entering in 2015 will even be able to take the new MCAT during this application cycle.

Not to start an argument, but am just finishing up a sociology 101 course right now (summer course). I have found it very enlightening and am glad that it is being required for the new MCAT. I feel it will make people better physicians who are able to interact with patients at a different level.

(just my 2 cents)

On another note, I'm a native Hoosier myself who has made his way to the Las Vegas desert over the last couple of years. I'm looking forward to applying to this school in the next few weeks.

The reference to MCAT 2015 was intended for future applicants [beyond 2015]. Sorry for being obtuse.

Admissions

Not to start an argument, but am just finishing up a sociology 101 course right now (summer course). I have found it very enlightening and am glad that it is being required for the new MCAT. I feel it will make people better physicians who are able to interact with patients at a different level.

(just my 2 cents)

On another note, I'm a native Hoosier myself who has made his way to the Las Vegas desert over the last couple of years. I'm looking forward to applying to this school in the next few weeks.

I'm not doubting the benefits of taking a sociology class. It's just a bummer because an intro sociology course might be a course that's just taken at the beginning of college to fulfill a gen ed requirement. Students may opt to take another class, perhaps in the social sciences, to fulfill that requirement. That's why I'm in favor of having general behavioral/social science courses as requirements instead. I think people can learn just as much from many of those courses as they might learn from a sociology 101 course.

Nonetheless, a requirement is a requirement. It is what it is... I just won't be applying here now.

Edit: I don't want an argument either! Good luck to all applying!

I'm not doubting the benefits of taking a sociology class. It's just a bummer because an intro sociology course might be a course that's just taken at the beginning of college to fulfill a gen ed requirement. Students may opt to take another class, perhaps in the social sciences, to fulfill that requirement. That's why I'm in favor of having general behavioral/social science courses as requirements instead. I think people can learn just as much from many of those courses as they might learn from a sociology 101 course.

Nonetheless, a requirement is a requirement. It is what it is... I just won't be applying here now.

Edit: I don't want an argument either! Good luck to all applying!
I feel you, dude. I thankfully took an Intro Sociology course freshman year...

UPDATES:
  • Supplemental application invitations will start later today.
  • Letters of recommendation can be submitted to Interfolio and VirtualEvals starting today.
  • For our processing guidelines, please see the attachment.
  • MU-COM will start to process letters of recommendation no later than July 7, 2014.
Admissions

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2014_2015.pdf
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: 3 users
UPDATES:
  • Supplemental application invitations will start later today.
  • Letters of recommendation can be submitted to Interfolio and VirtualEvals starting today.
  • For our processing guidelines, please see the attachment.
  • MU-COM will start to process letters of recommendation no later than July 7, 2014.
Admissions

Is there any way that applicants preparing to apply to view the supplemental? Is it in pdf format?

Supplemental invites have started. Our system will send emails throughout the evening, so please be patient.

Good luck,
MU-COM

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for the prompt updates

Just received my supplemental application invite, but had a couple questions for MUCOM admissions.

First off, I want to sincerely thank whoever is answering these SDN forums posts from MUCOM. I'm impressed by the administrations effort to connect with applicants and elucidate the process on a more intimate level.

To begin, does being offered a secondary mean that I pass the requirements of:

I have never taken a sociology or anthropology course. If receiving a secondary DOES NOT necessarily mean I meet the requirements above can I take an intro to sociology course at my local community college while I am participating in the admissions cycle? I know MUCOM stated that the requirements are for matriculating and not necessarily for applying so a bit more explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Aaaaand done. Let's see if the third time really is a charm.

Just received my supplemental application invite, but had a couple questions for MUCOM admissions.

First off, I want to sincerely thank whoever is answering these SDN forums posts from MUCOM. I'm impressed by the administrations effort to connect with applicants and elucidate the process on a more intimate level.

To begin, does being offered a secondary mean that I pass the requirements of:

I have never taken a sociology or anthropology course. If receiving a secondary DOES NOT necessarily mean I meet the requirements above can I take an intro to sociology course at my local community college while I am participating in the admissions cycle? I know MUCOM stated that the requirements are for matriculating and not necessarily for applying so a bit more explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

A supplemental invitation means that the applicant meets our minimum MCAT and minimum GPA. As stated before, prerequisites must be completed before matriculation. All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of C or better.

Admissions

MUCOM Secondary

Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?

If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not. Characters Remaining:1250

In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?

Why are you interested in attending MU-COM? Characters Remaining:1250

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admission Committee to know about you. Characters Remaining:750

While sharing the supplemental questions is not prohibited, it is discouraged. Likewise, in the spirit of full disclosure, it is unacceptable to share interview questions.

MU-COM

While sharing the supplemental questions is not prohibited, it is discouraged. Likewise, in the spirit of full disclosure, it is unacceptable to share interview questions.

MU-COM

Out of curiosity, why is it discouraged to show the supplemental questions? I know other DO schools make the secondary application available on their sites and encourage students to fill it out while waiting for verification.

I completely understand prohibiting sharing interview questions, just curious on the secondary