Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A supplemental invitation means that the applicant meets our minimum MCAT and minimum GPA. As stated before, prerequisites must be completed before matriculation. All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of C or better.

Admissions

Also, is the Minimum GPA for a supplemental invite a 3.1 or 3.0? I have looked on the website and the minimum has changed a couple times in the last month, right now I believe it says 3.1

And also, is there a minimum MCAT requirement? The website states that a "competitive" score begins at 24, are lower ones unacceptable?

Thank you for the transparency.

Members don't see this ad.

While sharing the supplemental questions is not prohibited, it is discouraged. Likewise, in the spirit of full disclosure, it is unacceptable to share interview questions.

MU-COM
Sorry. It's just such a common thing to do; pretty much every year someone shares the questions. It's kind of how we help each other. I don't see why that is bad?

I guess I now realize that MUCOM being on this site means that you can both answer questions and police the thread. Never thought about that before now.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry. It's just such a common thing to do; pretty much every year someone shares the questions. It's kind of how we help each other. I don't see why that is bad?

I guess I now realize that MUCOM being on this site means that you can both answer questions and police the thread. Never thought about that before now.

Not policing. Simply, we do not invite everyone to complete a supplemental application so we don't think the questions should be public. But the questions are out there ....

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi MU-COM-

For supplemental invitations, are they only for individuals who meet the minimum criteria? Or is there more to the screening process?

Thank you! :)

Also, is the Minimum GPA for a supplemental invite a 3.1 or 3.0? I have looked on the website and the minimum has changed a couple times in the last month, right now I believe it says 3.1

And also, is there a minimum MCAT requirement? The website states that a "competitive" score begins at 24, are lower ones unacceptable?

Thank you for the transparency.

There are no minimums to apply to MU-COM. The metrics on the website are accurate and are offered to help applicants assess their competitiveness for admission, but remember this is a holistic process. We do not release the minimums for a supplemental invitation.

Admissions

Hi MU-COM-

For supplemental invitations, are they only for individuals who meet the minimum criteria? Or is there more to the screening process?

Thank you! :)

Please see the earlier post for your answer.

Admissions

A supplemental invitation means that the applicant meets our minimum MCAT and minimum GPA. As stated before, prerequisites must be completed before matriculation. All prerequisites must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of C or better.

Admissions

You then go on to say: "There are no minimums to apply to MU-COM. The metrics on the website are accurate and are offered to help applicants assess their competitiveness for admission, but remember this is a holistic process. We do not release the minimums for a supplemental invitation."

Which one is it?

I'm happy they post here, otherwise I would have accidentally applied.

You then go on to say: "There are no minimums to apply to MU-COM. The metrics on the website are accurate and are offered to help applicants assess their competitiveness for admission, but remember this is a holistic process. We do not release the minimums for a supplemental invitation."

Which one is it?

I'm happy they post here, otherwise I would have accidentally applied.

Inside MUCOM's Admissions Department:
"Is CharmanderMD a D.O. applicant, or an M.D.-seeking Pokemon enthusiast applying to D.O. schools as a backup? Which one is it?"
"I'm happy he posts here, otherwise we might have accidentally invited him to complete a supplemental application."

Besides, didn't you already rule this school out based on not wanting to take a sociology course?

Yeah, I was totally planning on applying here too but there's no way I'm wasting another $1500 to take a sociology class that will unquestionably change nothing regarding my performance as a doctor. Bummer.

Hello MU-COM Admissions,

I can't seem to find this information on your website, so I thought I'd ask here since it seems there's quite a bit of activity. I'm an out of state applicant, and I'm wondering what the in-state to out-of-state ratio has been for the first class, and if you believe that will change with this new incoming class?

Thanks in advance.

So do secondaries go out the same day every week?

Hello MU-COM Admissions,

I can't seem to find this information on your website, so I thought I'd ask here since it seems there's quite a bit of activity. I'm an out of state applicant, and I'm wondering what the in-state to out-of-state ratio has been for the first class, and if you believe that will change with this new incoming class?

Thanks in advance.

The goal is that every class is at least 50% Indiana.

The DO Class of 2017 is 54% Indiana with 23 other states and 3 countries represented.
Statistics on the DO Class of 2018 will be available in August.

Admissions

Not really. It depends on when the mailing is available and individual workloads.

Admissions

Ok awesome.

Also I tried calling yesterday, but could not get anyone on the phone. Wanted to know about the open house on July 25th. Is it going to be an all day drop-in event? Or do you have to be there from 10:00-2:30? I already RSVP'd, but I'm going to be fasting that day and would have to leave pretty early to make it to Indianapolis on time, plus drive back. Wondering if I should stay overnight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok awesome.

Also I tried calling yesterday, but could not get anyone on the phone. Wanted to know about the open house on July 25th. Is it going to be an all day drop-in event? Or do you have to be there from 10:00-2:30? I already RSVP'd, but I'm going to be fasting that day and would have to leave pretty early to make it to Indianapolis on time, plus drive back. Wondering if I should stay overnight.

Our office assistant was off yesterday.

The open house is not a drop-in event. There is a set schedule of sessions that runs from 10-230.

MU-COM

Regarding the entering 2015 class, MU-COM has added three additional prerequisites: biochemistry, psychology, and sociology (3 credit hours or 4 quarter hours in each).
  • The biochemistry prerequisite is lecture only. There is no minimum level (100, 200, etc.) but the committee will consider the degree of difficulty as it does with all completed coursework.
  • MU-COM does not allow substitutions. For example, biochemistry cannot be used for biology.
  • MU-COM does not render decisions on whether or not a class satisfies the prerequisite unless the applicant is admitted. Until a final decision is rendered, we default to what is reported on the AACOMAS application.
  • MU-COM will review anthropology classes on a case-by-case basis for sociology. However, a sociology course will better prepare the applicant for the Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior section of MCAT 2015.
Admissions
I received a secondary but after reading this, I don't think I can apply. I never took a sociology class in college. I did take an interdisciplinary studies course for my humanities fulfillment. Shouldn't the "screening" have ruled me out? Or will you accept my interdisciplinary studies course for the sociology requirement?

Prerequisites dont have to be done until before matriculation, this applies to most schools.

Read the CIB.

I received a secondary but after reading this, I don't think I can apply. I never took a sociology class in college. I did take an interdisciplinary studies course for my humanities fulfillment. Shouldn't the "screening" have ruled me out? Or will you accept my interdisciplinary studies course for the sociology requirement?

Please be sure to add the following email addresses to your "safe sender" lists:

[email protected]
[email protected]

All application correspondence is sent from one of these two email accounts.

Thanks,
Admissions

Our office assistant was off yesterday.

The open house is not a drop-in event. There is a set schedule of sessions that runs from 10-230.

MU-COM

OK thanks.

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary?

Interfolio said they delivered my letters about a week ago but it still says incomplete on the application. Does it take a while for them to be processed or should I be worried?

Interfolio said they delivered my letters about a week ago but it still says incomplete on the application. Does it take a while for them to be processed or should I be worried?

Read the LOR guidelines.

"The entire process - from your submission to our review - can take 2-3 weeks, depending on the volume of letters that we receive."

So no.

Please see our post from 6/25 for an explanation of the timing of our process. We will start to process (i.e., download) letters on 7/7.

Admissions

During the pre-screening for a supplemental invitation, we review your GPA and MCAT only.

Prerequisites must be completed before matriculation, not application. If admitted, we will review the interdisciplinary studies class. In the meantime, you can review your primary application to see how AACOMAS has classified the course.

FYI, about 1/3 of the COMs require behavioral science prereqs. Nearly all of the remaining schools recommend or strongly recommend it.

MU-COM

Anyone know my chances of getting in here with a 3.48sGPA, 3.6cGPA, and 26 MCAT? I'm really starting to like this school!!

Anyone know my chances of getting in here with a 3.48sGPA, 3.6cGPA, and 26 MCAT? I'm really starting to like this school!!

Please see the attached profile for the DO Class of 2017.

The profile for the Class of 2018 will be available after orientation in August.

MU-COM

Attachments

• Profile_DO Class of 2017.pdf
    933.5 KB · Views: 358
Reactions: 1 users

The profile for the Class of 2018 will be available after orientation in August.

MU-COM
Well, that is fantastic news! Thank you MU-COM. And thanks for being so involved in this process!

MU-COM

This is fantastic, thank you!

Do you by chance happen to have the percentile breakdown of MCAT and GPAs, i.e. 10%ile and 90th%ile?

This is fantastic, thank you!

Do you by chance happen to have the percentile breakdown of MCAT and GPAs, i.e. 10%ile and 90th%ile?

The profile is what we release to the public.

MU-COM

Got the secondary today and submitted.

Does MU-COM accept additional letters of recommendation? I sent in two bio professors and an MD.

can i send more than three letters of recommendation? I have 5 that are very hard to choose from. thanks

MUCOM Admissions,
I did have some conversation last year with few MUCOM students and they mentioned about some parking issues for students - has it been resolved ?just curious
Thank you

MUCOM Admissions,
I did have some conversation last year with few MUCOM students and they mentioned about some parking issues for students - has it been resolved ?just curious
Thank you

There are enough parking spaces for 1st and 2nd year students; plans are to add another lot, though, to ease the situation.

Admissions

Pretty nasty when schools independently add more requirements, especially at the last minute. For someone who is applying to medical school during their senior year in college, when the first two years were taken up by pre-med science classes, it's just about impossible to add classes on top of what's left. I understand lot of schools want to add those classes for next year when the new MCAT will include them anyway, but this is really jumping the gun IMHO.

Pretty nasty when schools independently add more requirements, especially at the last minute. For someone who is applying to medical school during their senior year in college, when the first two years were taken up by pre-med science classes, it's just about impossible to add classes on top of what's left. I understand lot of schools want to add those classes for next year when the new MCAT will include them anyway, but this is really jumping the gun IMHO.

We share your point of view, which is why the prerequisites for the entering fall 2015 class were changed over a year ago. Notice of the changes were placed on our website, in our recruitment publications, and in the college catalog.

MU-COM

FYI.

Effective the entering fall 2016 class, MU-COM will only accept MCAT scores from up to three years prior to the date of matriculation.

Admissions

Boo hoo.

Take the extra class while you apply. It is not difficult AT ALL. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

We share your point of view, which is why the prerequisites for the entering fall 2015 class were changed over a year ago. Notice of the changes were placed on our website, in our recruitment publications, and in the college catalog.

MU-COM

Exactly! They changed it long ago!

Just a random info tidbit, but when I did (copious amounts of) research on medical schools to apply to, I found that Indiana University (MD) was the only school, besides Marian, that had already updated their admission requirements to include a sociology class. I'm sure more schools will start adding sociology next cycle as MCAT2015 comes to pass. But, anyway, it makes sense that Marian would be on the same page as IU to keep the requirements consistent for the state. Indiana is leading the pack!

Why should I apply to Marian? Besides the having the most expensive tuition... I've heard all sorts of bad things about the school, your classmates are dispassioned and never attend class.. the basic science faculty are self centered and disinterested. I also get the sense that Indiana University (MD) "leads the pack" and Marian students idolize that school instead of their own. The only good thing is that subpar students get in with the lowest scores.

Why should I apply to Marian? Besides the having the most expensive tuition... I've heard all sorts of bad things about the school, your classmates are dispassioned and never attend class.. the basic science faculty are self centered and disinterested. I also get the sense that Indiana University (MD) "leads the pack" and Marian students idolize that school instead of their own. The only good thing is that subpar students get in with the lowest scores.
Oh gosh! Where are you getting this information? I heard their students liked the school, and that professors were taken from well-known schools.

I'll try and hit all the points you brought up. If I miss anything, let me know.

1) Its not the most expensive tuition. I believe that CCOM and AZCOM are the winners in that category, something like 55K for tuition alone! Add on top of that living expenses, and its like 75K a year!

2) I have only heard good things about the school

3)The classmates I have heard don't really attend lectures, and I have heard there are lots of "Gunners".

4) I got a chance to talk to some of the faculty and they seem nice. Its like any school, good and bad profs.

5) I do pick up on the "IU does it, so we must do it" vibe, with the pre rec requirements of Biochem Soc, and Psychology, and the MCAT only being from 2015, but they are a new school so that might be expected. I feel like once they graduate their first class, MUCOM will have more confidence in making changes.

6) Did you see the Average GPA and MCAT? Far from subpar, I know people in MD schools with that GPA.

If you don't like MUCOM, don't apply.

MU-COM

Getting the Sociology and the Psychology is not the problem, those can be taken at a community college for people who can't get it during undergrad worst case scenario, its the biochem which it tougher to get, especially since most biochem is upper level and only offered at certain times in the year.

5) I do pick up on the "IU does it, so we must do it" vibe, with the pre rec requirements of Biochem Soc, and Psychology, and the MCAT only being from 2015, but they are a new school so that might be expected. I feel like once they graduate their first class, MUCOM will have more confidence in making changes.

Quick, but very important correction: MU-COM is not accepting MCAT scores only from 2015.

The correct info is:
  • For the entering fall 2015 class, MU-COM will accept scores from up to four years prior to the date of matriculation, i.e., nothing older than 2011.
  • For the entering fall 2016 class, MU-COM will accept scores from up to three years prior to the date of matriculation, i.e., nothing older than 2013.
  • For the entering fall 2017 class, MU-COM will consult with the admissions committee after reviewing MCAT 2015 test scores and AAMC concordance tables.
Admissions

Quick, but very important correction: MU-COM is not accepting MCAT scores only from 2015.

The correct info is:
  • For the entering fall 2015 class, MU-COM will accept scores from up to four years prior to the date of matriculation, i.e., nothing older than 2011.
  • For the entering fall 2016 class, MU-COM will accept scores from up to three years prior to the date of matriculation, i.e., nothing older than 2013.
  • For the entering fall 2017 class, MU-COM will consult with the admissions committee after reviewing MCAT 2015 test scores and AAMC concordance tables.
Admissions

So as long as you apply during or before the 2015-2016 application cycle (next year), you can use the MCAT before the 2015 change?

By the way MUCOM Admissions, thank you for establishing a presence on SDN and for trying to make the process more transparent and streamline.

How soon would an interview be extended to an applicant after their file is complete? Or, how early is the first round interviews sent out?

So as long as you apply during or before the 2015-2016 application cycle (next year), you can use the MCAT before the 2015 change?

By the way MUCOM Admissions, thank you for establishing a presence on SDN and for trying to make the process more transparent and streamline.

Correct. Through the entering fall 2016 class, MU-COM will accept MCAT and MCAT 2015 test scores--provided the scores are within the range of years listed above.

Admissions

How soon would an interview be extended to an applicant after their file is complete? Or, how early is the first round interviews sent out?

We downloaded the first batch of LORs today. We will start to screen applications later this week. When screening has started, complete applicants will receive an email update that the file has been assigned to a screener who will recommend an interview decision. This screening process can take between 2--3 weeks depending on our volume. The first round of interview decisions should be sent no later than the week of August 4th; decisions are typically released on Fridays.

Admissions

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else have difficulty paying for the secondary? I tried with two different credit cards but keep getting an error message that doesn't actually tell me what's going wrong. I guess I will call the tuition management service people tomorrow, maybe their system is just down right now?

Did anyone else have difficulty paying for the secondary? I tried with two different credit cards but keep getting an error message that doesn't actually tell me what's going wrong. I guess I will call the tuition management service people tomorrow, maybe their system is just down right now?

After checking with the vendor, there were no reported or known issues yesterday/last night.

MU-COM

After checking with the vendor, there were no reported or known issues yesterday/last night.

MU-COM

Thanks, it must have just been a glitch. I was able to pay and submit today.