Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MU-COM does not permit prerequisite substitutions. Biochem cannot be used for organic chemistry.

Admissions
Dear Marian admissions. Any updates on the AL?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Marian admissions. Any updates on the AL?

Not yet, but more movement will start in late April/early May.

Within the next week, all alternate list applicants will be asked to CONFIRM their willingness to stay on the MU-COM alternate list. Look for an email soon asking you to submit a confirmation in the portal.

Admissions

Not yet, but more movement will start in late April/early May.

Within the next week, all alternate list applicants will be asked to CONFIRM their willingness to stay on the MU-COM alternate list. Look for an email soon asking you to submit a confirmation in the portal.

Admissions

Are people on the alternate list allowed to submit a letter of intent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Applicants on the alternate list are permitted one update, i.e., letter of intent, which should be sent electronically to Bryan at [email protected].

Admissions

FINAL REMINDER

April 1, 2015 @ 5 PM EDT (Indiana time)
Supplemental application deadline

April 3, 2015 @ 5 PM EDT (Indiana time)
Materials deadline (recommendations, transcripts, and MCAT scores)
Items received after this deadline will not be accepted.

Final interview invitations will be made early next week in advance of the last interview weekend on April 10-11.

Admissions

Yes. Applicants on the alternate list are permitted one update, i.e., letter of intent, which should be sent electronically to Bryan at [email protected].

Admissions

Every email that I try to send to Bryan Moody at [email protected] keep getting bounced back to me with an error message saying that his email is blocked. I have tried using two separte email addresses, different computers, as well as different wi-fi networks and nothing has solved the problem. I have also called Mr. Moody and left a voicemail notifying him of the problem. I just wanted to ensure that I could get this issue fixed before the April 3rd deadline so I can send in relevant documents. Do you have any suggestions for what I should do?
Thank you for your help.

Every email that I try to send to Bryan Moody at [email protected] keep getting bounced back to me with an error message saying that his email is blocked. I have tried using two separte email addresses, different computers, as well as different wi-fi networks and nothing has solved the problem. I have also called Mr. Moody and left a voicemail notifying him of the problem. I just wanted to ensure that I could get this issue fixed before the April 3rd deadline so I can send in relevant documents. Do you have any suggestions for what I should do?
Thank you for your help.

Sorry for your troubles. Something is up with your email or our firewall. Without your name, though, we cannot troubleshoot.

While Bryan is traveling, you can contact Kelly at 317-955-6297 or [email protected].

Admissions

Alternate list applicants have been asked via email to confirm their desire to remain on the MU-COM alternate list. Deadline to respond is April 10th.

Thank you for your patience and continued interest,
Admissions

Alternate list applicants have been asked via email to confirm their desire to remain on the MU-COM alternate list. Deadline to respond is April 10th.

Thank you for your patience and continued interest,
Admissions

If you are accepted off the wait list, how long do you have to accept/decline the offer?

If you are accepted off the wait list, how long do you have to accept/decline the offer?

It depends on when you would be offered admission.

Per AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines, which MU-COM follows for regular admission, if admitted:
  • Between Jan 15 and May 14, you have 2 weeks.
  • Starting on May 15, you can be asked for an immediate decision.
Admissions

If any guys are looking for a roommate, feel free to send me a PM. Thanks!

Hi there,
I'm not sure whether or not you've joined the Class of 2019 Facebook group yet, but there are a few people there who are looking for a roommate as well. If you've already checked/posted there, then I apologize in advance for the repeated info.
Good luck finding a roommate and see you in August! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does MU-COM take off the alternate list before May 15?

Does MU-COM take off the alternate list before May 15?

Alternate list review has begun. Movement will happen on or around May 1 and after until orientation.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
Alternate list review has begun. Movement will happen on or around May 1 and after until orientation.

Admissions

Can you tell us what is reviewed during the waitlist process in order of importance/what is weighed more heavily?

I am guessing I already know the answer to this but I thought I would ask just to be sure. For the EDP program, do we have to meet each one of those points or not (e.g., 3.7 GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 28 MCAT)?

I am guessing I already know the answer to this but I thought I would ask just to be sure. For the EDP program, do we have to meet each one of those points or not (e.g., 3.7 GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 28 MCAT)?

Yes

Can you tell me if there has been movement off the waitlist? I REALLY want to go to Marian but may have to accept another opportunity if I don't here soon.

Can you tell me if there has been movement off the waitlist? I REALLY want to go to Marian but may have to accept another opportunity if I don't here soon.

Please see the earlier post from April 15.

Admissions

Likewise, I'd like to know this since I'll be starting MU-COM this August and I'm married with 2 kids.

it is estimated that around 30% of MU-COM students are either married or in a relationship. this varies from class to class though.

Admissions

Admissions

Alternate list offers will start on Saturday, May 2.

Admissions

I am pleased to announce that Volume 5 of the DO Series is in the portal for accepted and deposited students.
  • This volume is a repeat of an email sent yesterday to those who had not paid the tuition deposit yet.
  • For those who have deposited and received a confirmation email, you will find the first-ever endorsed quality metrics for the MU-COM Class of 2019, which have been updated since yesterday.
Volume 6 will be released in mid-May.

MU-COM

Likewise, I'd like to know this since I'll be starting MU-COM this August and I'm married with 2 kids.

Hi there, I'm part of the incoming class too! :)

I am older than the average MUCOM student (almost 30) and will be moving to Indy with a long-term partner and a grandmother with a rare form of dementia to care for. While it's not the same as having children, I initially had concerns that I wouldn't 'fit in' since I'm older and am in a different phase in life than the 'average' pre-med.

After meeting ~50ish of the incoming students, my fears are put to rest. While only a handful of the students that I met are married with children, I know that there are far more in our class. Additionally, about half of our classmates (that I've met) are either engaged or in a serious long-term relationship. In speaking with students in the classes above us, I've frequently been quoted that roughly half of students are "non-traditional" in a sense (took a gap year, are married, etc.). So it seems like we'll have a great mix of everything!

I look forward to meeting you this fall. :)

Last edited:
The tuition deposit deadline is today, and I won't be paying it - great news for all you MU-COM hopefuls! Best of luck, folks.

Dang why was that?
A number of reasons, but primarily because the first seven to ten years of the process are incompatible with the type of family life I want. Also, there's a sea change occurring in medical education right now, and I am better suited to the norms of 2030 than 2015. That's too long to wait, and medicine isn't the only profession I'm interested in and capable of pursuing.

A number of reasons, but primarily because the first seven to ten years of the process are incompatible with the type of family life I want. Also, there's a sea change occurring in medical education right now, and I am better suited to the norms of 2030 than 2015. That's too long to wait, and medicine isn't the only profession I'm interested in and capable of pursuing.
props for making a tough choice like that

Reactions: 1 users

I am sorry to hear that you are not attending! I thought for sure you would be joining all of us in the 2015 class. Best wishes to you (and your family) in whatever you decide to pursue! :)

Hi :)
Is there a FB group? and how do we find out about Fin aid?

Accepted today! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. See you guys in the fall!

Interviewed 1/30? It's been so long I almost forgot. OOS. Where is this facebook group? Been going through the threads but I'm not sure if I'm just glossing over the link.

Last edited:
Accepted today! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. See you guys in the fall!

Interviewed 1/30? It's been so long I almost forgot. OOS. Where is this facebook group? Been going through the threads but I'm not sure if I'm just glossing over the link.

Email or phone call? Congrats :)

How did you find out? Call or email

I received both phone call and email.

GPA for both was around 3.5 and 29 MCAT.

Yes, our class' Facebook group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1552053631698260/ . We also have some professors and rising second/third year students in our group who are happy to answer questions. :)

Basic financial aid info can be found here: http://www.marian.edu/admissions/financial-aid. If you qualify for aid, once you've filled out your FAFSA and have selected MUCOM, you should receive an e-mail from MUCOM Financial Aid regarding your loan 'award', instructions on how to claim your first loan, and how to apply for additional loans. Each type of government loan (if you go that route), has a maximum amount you can borrow, so you may need to use one award for tuition, and apply for a separate loan to cover living expenses (all of this will get explained to you by MUCOM Financial Aid as you move forward in the process). Btw, www.studentloans.gov has a nifty tool that explains how much you're going to owe in interest and projects your future monthly payments.

If you want to be more proactive, def get in touch with MUCOM's Financial Aid Office (contact info is on the site). Julia has been an absolute life-saver to me throughout this student loan process. Good luck... And hope to see you this fall! :)

If recently admitted, please review the info in the DO series in the admission portal. The requested info is there.

Admissions

CONGRATS to those accepted off the waitlist. That's GREAT! I know admissions said that waitlist acceptance could happen throughout the summer. Will MU give an update on this site when the class is full? Is there any update of an estimate of when that might happen? Typing with crossed fingers :)

Reactions: 1 users
Received my acceptance call yesterday! Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

See you guys in a few months!!