Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long would you say does it take to process an application for a decision to interview?

It says 2-3 weeks on the status complete email. This Friday would be 3 weeks for me, so hopefully I hear some news this week.

Members don't see this ad.

How long would you say does it take to process an application for a decision to interview?

The interview screening typically takes between two—three weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year.

Admissions

It says 2-3 weeks on the status complete email. This Friday would be 3 weeks for me, so hopefully I hear some news this week.

Interview decisions will start the week of August 4th.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Do pre interview decisions tend to be very holistic or more of a numbers (gpa/mcat) game?

Not sure if I should bring my GPA up to 3.40 through summer courses that I am enrolled in (would take me to September likely) before having everything complete or go forward with a 3.35 and 27 MCAT. I do have unique and strong extracurriculars though but would be extremely upset if I got screened out. :(

Do pre interview decisions tend to be very holistic or more of a numbers (gpa/mcat) game?

Not sure if I should bring my GPA up to 3.40 through summer courses that I am enrolled in (would take me to September likely) before having everything complete or go forward with a 3.35 and 27 MCAT. I do have unique and strong extracurriculars though but would be extremely upset if I got screened out. :(

Supplemental invitations are based on numbers. Interview invitations are holistic.

Admissions

Supplemental invitations are based on numbers. Interview invitations are holistic.

Admissions
Thank you.
Would you hold an application for pending summer courses to see if the GPA increases (ex. 3.35 to 3.40) or would the interview or rejection decision ultimately be made within the 2-3 weeks?

Thank you.
Would you hold an application for pending summer courses to see if the GPA increases (ex. 3.35 to 3.40) or would the interview or rejection decision ultimately be made within the 2-3 weeks?

It depends on the holistic review. The committee can defer an interview decision until it receives your most recent semester grades.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
One drawback to having MUCOM Admissions active on this forum... So many people opt to ask questions of them directly and repeatedly instead of scrolling through a handful of posts or reading the materials the school sends them.

Reactions: 1 users
I attended the open house last week. Everyone was incredibly friendly and very enthusiastic.

I'm glad that I was able to go.....it has definitely reinforced my interest in this school.

Decided to go ahead and throw my hat in the ring. The school is too impressive and there are some really good reasons for our family to be in Indiana.

c3.14, s3.39, 32 (strong upward trend of >3.9 in last 70 hours)

Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi MU COM. I'm a non-trad with no access to a premedical adviser or committee. What can I replace that LOR requirement with? Thank you.

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but does my statistics course count towards the sociology requirement? It's designated as SOC215 at my institution. Please.... :happy:

Hope this isn't a stupid question, but does my statistics course count towards the sociology requirement? It's designated as SOC215 at my institution. Please.... :happy:
The school says they'll appraise courses after an admissions decision has been made, but what's your opinion of the course? Was it a class on statistical methods within the context of sociology, or did it actually focus on people and associated sociological themes? Do you have the course description?

The school says they'll appraise courses after an admissions decision has been made, but what's your opinion of the course? Was it a class on statistical methods within the context of sociology, or did it actually focus on people and associated sociological themes? Do you have the course description?

Yeah we had online discussions on the stuff we were learning and how it applies to the real world. I'll say whatever, as long as I don't have to spend money on the class.

SOC 215 - General Statistics.

A college course in mathematics or consent of instructor. Some preparation in algebra desirable but not required. (3) FQ.
Techniques and interpretation of statistical measures.

Yeah we had online discussions on the stuff we were learning and how it applies to the real world. I'll say whatever, as long as I don't have to spend money on the class.

A college course in mathematics or consent of instructor. Some preparation in algebra desirable but not required. (3) FQ.
Earlier in this thread Admissions mentioned a sociology course would prepare a student for the "Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior section of MCAT 2015." That said, it looks like your statistics class was just that - a statistics class. Perhaps they will offer additional insight.

Good luck guys. Hope y'all hear something good today

Sorry but can't answer this one. You will need to apply and see how AACOMAS classifies the course. We review AACOMAS classifications on a case-by-case basis only for admitted students. If admitted, let's discuss more.

Admissions

Are you joking? That is a full-fledged statistics course, simply run through the Sociology department. My school has the same thing for each major, where they have their statistics courses under the depratment course code .

I.e. SOCI 225, PSYC 218, Biol 288, and are all just statistics courses under the department.

Why would you even think that counts as a real sociology course? Suck it up and take the sociology class, if and when you are accepted.

Hi MUCOM,

Will we be hearing something today? Either good or bad?

Thanks!

Are you joking? That is a full-fledged statistics course, simply run through the Sociology department. My school has the same thing for each major, where they have their statistics courses under the depratment course code .

I.e. SOCI 225, PSYC 218, Biol 288, and are all just statistics courses under the department.

Why would you even think that counts as a real sociology course? Suck it up and take the sociology class, if and when you are accepted.

Yeah I get that. But I would prefer not to spend over $1500 on another course, especially if I get another acceptance. Anyway, I talked with admissions and its basically what MUCOM detailed above. I'm most likely going to have to go back and take it.

Yeah I get that. But I would prefer not to spend over $1500 on another course, especially if I get another acceptance. Anyway, I talked with admissions and its basically what MUCOM detailed above. I'm most likely going to have to go back and take it.

Many complainers, I also will have to take it, if I am accepted at MU-COM. IF accepted elsewhere, I won't have to take it.

Just CLEP out of it, it costs way less and is easy to do from what friends have told me.

Hi MUCOM,

Will we be hearing something today? Either good or bad?

Thanks!

Yes. The first batch of interview decisions (invitations, holds, and rejections) will start this afternoon.

Admissions

Many complainers, I also will have to take it, if I am accepted at MU-COM. IF accepted elsewhere, I won't have to take it.

Just CLEP out of it, it costs way less and is easy to do from what friends have told me.

I am just being realistic. Why take another class and spend money when you don't need to.

Yes. The first batch of interview decisions (invitations, holds, and rejections) will start this afternoon.

Admissions

1397349357310.gif

Interview decisions have started.

MU-COM

@MU COM

If my LORs have already been received and are being processed, and I am submitting my Secondary this weekend, is there a chance to get an interview before December? (Assuming I am a competitive applicant). Or are there already alot of people in queue for interview invites, and I am too slow?

Reactions: 1 user
I am just being realistic. Why take another class and spend money when you don't need to.
Being realistic, you haven't satisfied their pre-req requirement. Trying to find a way to dodge out of it isn't going to help you, medical school is a long journey- be ready for all the hoops!