Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II invite, first one! Anyone interviewing on November 6th?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is MU-COM's interview MMI and a traditional interview? Or just the MMI? How long are each if there is both an MMI and traditional interview? Thanks!

I will be withdrawing my II, hope it goes to one of you! Good luck!!

It is not a whole different learning style as you mentioned - ie PBL vs traditional lecture!
I attended MUCOM's open house in April and what I understood from them is that the integrated curriculum means an approach to learning each of the organ systems from various different angels. For example - if we were studying about the cardiovascular system, we would not just study the physiology or the anatomy, we would also study the diseases (pathology), the immune and lymphatic system component of the cardiovascular system, the pharmacology specific to this system, histology specific to this system etc..

As opposed to a non-integrative approach, where we would study the immune and lymphatic systems, pharmacology, or pathology or histology as separate courses...

That said, there will always be some overlap or some things that have to be studied as a separate discipline (ex path, histo, etc), but most of the times they will be broken into pieces and integrated into the study of the respective organ system.

Hope this helps!
Basically everything in regards to that topic will be thrown at you while you are learning material for the first time. It might seem overwhelming but when you see the topic again, it allows for better understanding. Currently, in anatomy we have gross anatomy, pathology, embryology, radiology, histology, biomechanics, and probably more stuff but I forget. Then when we hit our first systems course, we will see the same things, but it will be covered in more detail.

Anyone here submit more than 3 LOR's? I know the school prefers 3, but I already have a fourth uploaded onto AACOMAS. I don't want to get docked for not following instructions; will this be a problem?

Anyone here submit more than 3 LOR's? I know the school prefers 3, but I already have a fourth uploaded onto AACOMAS. I don't want to get docked for not following instructions; will this be a problem?
I submitted 4 and still got an interview, I don't know how having 4 would have affected my application in the long run.

I submitted 6. They said more are allowed if they provide a different perspective/don't talk about the same things. I'll let them decide to read the extra ones or not.

Interview Invite this morning!!!

I submitted 6. They said more are allowed if they provide a different perspective/don't talk about the same things. I'll let them decide to read the extra ones or not.
You should be fine if you upload more than 3. I uploaded 6 and got an II so I'm sure it is fine. :)
I submitted 4 and still got an interview, I don't know how having 4 would have affected my application in the long run.

Thanks guys. Your responses were timely and extremely helpful!

So I was complete on August 25th, and haven't heard anything back from admissions yet. I emailed and called, but have yet to get a reply. Does anyone know what else I could do at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings! MU-COM has an interview opening this week on Friday from 12 - 4:45 PM. If you have a previously scheduled interview but want an earlier date, email Bryan at [email protected].

Admissions

So I was complete on August 25th, and haven't heard anything back from admissions yet. I emailed and called, but have yet to get a reply. Does anyone know what else I could do at this point?

I'm in a similar situation. I received a complete email around the same time. It said the review typically takes 3 weeks. I'm starting to worry

I'm in a similar situation. I received a complete email around the same time. It said the review typically takes 3 weeks. I'm starting to worry

No need to worry. One of our screeners is behind. Give us another week.

Admissions

Does MU-COM only interview during the first week of every month? For example will there be other dates for interviews later this month or will this weekend be the only dates in October? Thank you!

I'm so excited to be accepted here! Can't wait to start next year.

Received an II

Edit: I will be declining so hopefully it goes to one of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does MU-COM only interview during the first week of every month? For example will there be other dates for interviews later this month or will this weekend be the only dates in October? Thank you!

Correct, generally. We have a couple additional dates in reserve if needed.

Admissions

Interviewing here tomorrow :)! Very excited and nervous as this is my number one school...any last minute words of wisdom anyone?

For anybody who wants to know, I though the MMI was a lot of fun and way easier than I expected! We will see if I get an acceptance, though lol. Good luck to everyone!

Just got back from this interview!

To give my honest opinion, I thought this school lacked a sense of community that the other schools I interviewed at had. The admissions person who was with us all day didn't crack a single smile the entire day, it was like he was trying to intimidate us, more than welcome us and get us interested in the school. All he talked about were "facts". That is GREAT that you have top-notch, award-winning faculty. I can find that on a pamphlet. But tell me an example of when faculty have helped students, tell me something specific that the faculty do for students that is going to make me smile. Let me meet these faculty. I got all student interviewers and had no sense of how the faculty there are.

The tour guides during our tour said something about a room then walked 10 feet in front of us instead of talking to us, and the tour was disorganized. I don't really want to walk in a dark hallway seeing empty offices for more than half of the tour. The OMM and anatomy room are in the basement. Anatomy room, I get it, keep it in the basement, it smells, most anatomy rooms are in the basement. But the OMM room was in the basement, zero windows. All the other schools I've interviewed with had OMM rooms with windows all around the room. I know it is a little thing, but I don't want to spend hours in a basement when I can be in a cheerful, natural-lit room.

The students we had Q/A with didn't really seem that enthusiastic about their school (unlike other schools who had students who went on and on about how they LOVED their school). They kind of just answered questions and didn't really know much about some rather basic questions we asked. I asked the Q/A students simple things like research, which was supposed to be a strong point of this school, and they were very wishy-washy about it and didn't really say much about it at all. Every student we asked on whether they liked going to this school/made the right decision didn't really sell it to me that they really really liked their school. I just didn't feel very welcomed, the presentation was very dry and the sense of community was non-existent to me. I just felt a sense of disappointment when I left after the fact that MUCOM was one of my top choice schools at the very beginning of the cycle.

The MMI was fun! Nothing to stress out about. They said they would send acceptances out in 1-3 weeks after interviewing.

However, I am sure a lot of people loved this place. There were things that were good about the school, the facilities were very nice, location was in a convenient place in regards to the city, airport, etc. Just my opinion of course, thought I'd share!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I completely agree with you about the sense of community and the student interviewers. I literally met no faculty! At the last interview I went to we met the dean, the head of OMM, several professors, and interviewed with 2 faculty. Interviewing with all students made me feel like they weren't trying to get to know me all that hard... I was telling my parents about it and said that I was disappointed in the day overall, considering this has been my top choice school for over a year! I didn't mind the tour, but I wasn't crazy about the male students we did Q&A with. One of them told us how overwhelming the coursework was at least 45 times in an hour. Wasn't exactly encouraging. I said the exact same thing about not feeling welcomed.

I really did enjoy the MMI, though, and will most likely still attend this school if accepted. The open house I went to last year was way, way more welcoming and made me a lot more excited about the school. Maybe they were just having an off day?

Which group were you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Or did you interview today (Saturday)? I was on Friday...

Interviewed 10/3

I agree with the lack of enthusiasm from the students... they were totally lost. The guy presenting could definitely lighten up a lot. the student body had nothing really to say about the school other than that they really like each other and get a long.

-questions asked the students-
What do you like most? the student body.
What do you like least? the student body.
What made u choose this school? the student body

Also, the 1-1 interview was pretty dry, the person I interviewed with did not seem to want to be there at all, asked me like 3 questions and called it a day. I actually found the MMI to be challenging at least the first one (not going to say what it is so don't ask). I was put in really strange hypothetical shoes and did not know how to respond.... How about everyone else?

Wait so in your personal interview time, you didn't interview with faculty? Or did you just not meet faculty all day? Geez if I had the same experience I'd call them and ask to withdraw my app.

What's up guys... I'm a first year here at Marian. I'm sorry to the recent posters who were a little disappointed with your interview experience here at MUCOM :( I can assure you guys its an awesome school that definitely doesn't need to be defended by me. The school really can speak for itself. But what I really wanted to do was just give you guys a shout out and basically offer you guys (or anyone for that matter!!) a chance to inbox me to get the low down on MUCOM. No pressure at all! I just want to make sure you guys get any questions that you had answered. Good luck to everybody applying and enjoy the ride! It goes by really fast.

Interviewed 10/3

I agree with the lack of enthusiasm from the students... they were totally lost. The guy presenting could definitely lighten up a lot. the student body had nothing really to say about the school other than that they really like each other and get a long.

-questions asked the students-
What do you like most? the student body.
What do you like least? the student body.
What made u choose this school? the student body

Also, the 1-1 interview was pretty dry, the person I interviewed with did not seem to want to be there at all, asked me like 3 questions and called it a day. I actually found the MMI to be challenging at least the first one (not going to say what it is so don't ask). I was put in really strange hypothetical shoes and did not know how to respond.... How about everyone else?

so it seems like you are not feeling that positive about it.

so it seems like you are not feeling that positive about it.

It was definitely a bit of a low energy day compared some other places tbh, but I can't say anything bad about the curriculum and the school itself. They invite Kaplan to help students study for the boards and seem to really have their stuff together as far as making sure students do well (probably the deciding factor in choosing medical schools for me) and the school ultimately looks good in the eyes of prospective students.... as far as positivity, it was definitely one of those "meh" feeling days. Not crossing MU from the list by any means, everyone just seemed to be kind of like :shrug:

I'm a first year myself here at MUCOM. I'm sorry to hear that you guys had a bit of an off day as far as the students go but like docbsb2015 said I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about MUCOM. Feel free to message me if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

To give my honest opinion, I thought this school lacked a sense of community that the other schools I interviewed at had. The admissions person who was with us all day didn't crack a single smile the entire day, it was like he was trying to intimidate us, more than welcome us and get us interested in the school. All he talked about were "facts". That is GREAT that you have top-notch, award-winning faculty. I can find that on a pamphlet. But tell me an example of when faculty have helped students, tell me something specific that the faculty do for students that is going to make me smile. Let me meet these faculty. I got all student interviewers and had no sense of how the faculty there are.

The tour guides during our tour said something about a room then walked 10 feet in front of us instead of talking to us, and the tour was disorganized. I don't really want to walk in a dark hallway seeing empty offices for more than half of the tour. The OMM and anatomy room are in the basement. Anatomy room, I get it, keep it in the basement, it smells, most anatomy rooms are in the basement. But the OMM room was in the basement, zero windows. All the other schools I've interviewed with had OMM rooms with windows all around the room. I know it is a little thing, but I don't want to spend hours in a basement when I can be in a cheerful, natural-lit room.

The students we had Q/A with didn't really seem that enthusiastic about their school (unlike other schools who had students who went on and on about how they LOVED their school). They kind of just answered questions and didn't really know much about some rather basic questions we asked. I asked the Q/A students simple things like research, which was supposed to be a strong point of this school, and they were very wishy-washy about it and didn't really say much about it at all. Every student we asked on whether they liked going to this school/made the right decision didn't really sell it to me that they really really liked their school. I just didn't feel very welcomed, the presentation was very dry and the sense of community was non-existent to me. I just felt a sense of disappointment when I left after the fact that MUCOM was one of my top choice schools at the very beginning of the cycle.

The MMI was fun! Nothing to stress out about. They said they would send acceptances out in 1-3 weeks after interviewing.

However, I am sure a lot of people loved this place. There were things that were good about the school, the facilities were very nice, location was in a convenient place in regards to the city, airport, etc. Just my opinion of course, thought I'd share!

Sorry to hear that you had a poor interview experience at MUCOM. I would agree with you with the OMM room, being underground with no windows isn't as nice. I'm surprised that you didn't get a chance to meet the faculty, maybe they were busy that day because another round of tests are coming, our midterms so to speak. When I went on my interview I met most of the main faculties during my tour and talked to a few of them. As for the level of involvement of faculties here, I feel that they care very deeply in the progress of their students. My advisor would send me a quick email before the test to wish me good luck on a Saturday and they are constantly gauging student's understanding of their lectures. As for the Q/A, I wasn't sure what was said but I appreciated the honesty that I received during my interview. I asked what they didn't like about the school and was told that there were a lot of changes happening because it's a new school and that was to be expected. There were some changes this year and I anticipated it, even the interview process has been changed. This shows me that MUCOM is constantly trying to be better and that is something I would value. I asked about their every day life at MUCOM and was told that school was going to be difficult and that sacrifices were need to be made and it was reiterated during my first few days here. At the other schools that I interviewed at, I felt that there was more that the students weren't telling me. I wanted to make an informed decision and not one based on emotions. Only at one other school did I happen to meet a medical student way outside of the school that gave me the right information. It wasn't anything bad about the school but I certainly felt like it was an honest opinion. MUCOM was not my top choice when I started the cycle but after interviewing at other schools I realized that MUCOM was the best fit. For me, MUCOM didn't have the most electrifying interview (maybe because it was freezing cold and snowing outside) but the MMI, faculties, partnerships, locations, and the attentiveness of the administration helped me seal the deal. Every school has a different culture that connects to individual students and there are many factors that comes into play. I love being at MUCOM and have throughly enjoyed my experiences thus far. I hope this helps you or another potential student. I wish you guys the best of luck!

Last edited:
I think the most disappointing thing was the complete lack of faculty involvement. It made me feel a little unimportant. From what I understand, previous interview groups haven't been this way? I was confused about how the committee would vote on whether or not to admit each of us when none of them have met any of us?

However, like I said before, I still think Marian is my top choice. I was extremely impressed with the open house I attended last year and got a totally different impression then than I did at my interview day. I would still love an acceptance from this school. I am just a little confused at the discrepancy.

However, like I said before, I still think Marian is my top choice. I was extremely impressed with the open house I attended last year and got a totally different impression then than I did at my interview day. I would still love an acceptance from this school. I am just a little confused at the discrepancy.

Hey!

I interviewed here in September. I remember meeting faculty and my student ambassadors were super cool. I even interviewed with a faculty member. The Q and A session was also very helpful and the students were very enthusiastic. I had a different experience than you. The interview sealed the deal for me. I had acceptances to other schools but decided to pick this one over them, because of how much I enjoyed my interview and the facilities.

I'm sorry that you had a bad interview day :( but I'm just here to reassure you that it is a good school, and I was happy with my experience!

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like i just caught them in an off day :(. Maybe all the faculty were sick. It is flu season!

Reactions: 1 users
It's unfortunate to see all of these negative interview day experiences. Personally, I enjoyed my interview day and was particularly impressed by MU-COM. I hope those who interview in the future have experiences more like mine

This. Really set the tone for the rest of the day.

Can anyone expand on their collaboration between medical students and nursing students? I read about the two schools working together to form a professional relationship in the medical field, anything anyone can comment on this?

Can someone please post the secondary questions for this school? Thank you!

Can someone please post the secondary questions for this school? Thank you!
Character limit varies I think between 1300- 1500. Maybe someone else can clarify?

Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)?

Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)

Why are you interested in practicing in Indiana?

In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?

Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific.

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.