Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the Email on July 15th that they received my LORs. I just checked the application portal today and they still aren't marked complete. I called the office but nobody seemed to be present. :( Anyone else having the same problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I am in the same situation.

I received the Email on July 15th that they received my LORs. I just checked the application portal today and they still aren't marked complete. I called the office but nobody seemed to be present. :( Anyone else having the same problem?

To answer a very common question in this thread, they have received your letters, but have not processed or looked over them yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ughh I guess MU-COM is just being super slow in processing those applicatoins.... :(

Just got my complete email. It's a relief since I submit the secondary back on 8/3.

My letters through AACOMAS were finally marked as received today (from July 15), so anyone else that had this issue will probably have theirs updated soon!

How do you guys know when they received your letters? I submitted the secondary on 8/6 and my letters are still missing when they were attached to my primary..... Should I be doing something?

How do you guys know when they received your letters? I submitted the secondary on 8/6 and my letters are still missing when they were attached to my primary..... Should I be doing something?
I received an email notifying me that they had received my letter(s) on 7/15, and this was prior to even receiving a secondary. But they weren't marked as complete on the portal until much later. I believe it was some time early last week.

I didn't even know there was a medical school near Indy! So excited to apply here! I wish I knew about it sooner.
Does anyone know if the school has an open house for prospective students?

Also, has anyone else noticed that they have a faculty member that has joint appointments at Harvard University?! (https://sites.google.com/site/jlowerylab/)

Last edited:
I got all worked up over nothing yesterday when I saw I had an email from MU-COM, turned out just to be their newsletter haha

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could share some input regarding my timeline. I received an email on July 7th stating that my letters have been received by the college and to allow 2-3 weeks for processing. A month following I hadn’t heard anything, so I emailed admissions inquiring into the letters and was told to give more time. It’s been over two weeks since the email and I still haven’t received any other info. I don’t want to bother admissions again about this issue as I’m sure they’re quite busy at this time of year (plus I don’t want to pester them lol) and thought some of you may have an idea of how long to wait. I did submit my letters via AACOMAS, which may be contributing to the delay in my processing… Thanks in advance!

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could share some input regarding my timeline. I received an email on July 7th stating that my letters have been received by the college and to allow 2-3 weeks for processing. A month following I hadn’t heard anything, so I emailed admissions inquiring into the letters and was told to give more time. It’s been over two weeks since the email and I still haven’t received any other info. I don’t want to bother admissions again about this issue as I’m sure they’re quite busy at this time of year (plus I don’t want to pester them lol) and thought some of you may have an idea of how long to wait. I did submit my letters via AACOMAS, which may be contributing to the delay in my processing… Thanks in advance!
A little while back, MUCOM posted that the admissions director was going on vacation. They stated not much would happen until they returned. They mentioned an exact date. Do some searching for their posts and you will find it.

A little while back, MUCOM posted that the admissions director was going on vacation. They stated not much would happen until they returned. They mentioned an exact date. Do some searching for their posts and you will find it.
Director will return on Monday, 8/24, if I am not mistaken.

Director will return on Monday, 8/24, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for the input! I found a post from 8/7 saying to allow 10 more business days for letters. I will wait until end of August and see where I'm at. Thanks again.

I submitted my secondary on 8/6 and my letters are still listed as incomplete. They were attached to my primary. What is going on here.... :(

I keep calling the admissions department and it always goes to Kelly's voicemail. I can't seem to get ahold of anyone :(. I keep getting referred to their LOR requirements document.

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary on 8/6 and my letters are still listed as incomplete. They were attached to my primary. What is going on here.... :(

I might give them another week before I call, I submitted my secondary on 7/31 and they were just marked complete yesterday so they are working through them, it is just taking them awhile.

@megmaden Okay. I guess I'll keep waiting. It's just odd that some people who submitted after us are already complete.

I think they tend to send them out towards the end of the day. There's still time!

its been almost 3 weeks since my secondary was marked complete, so supposedly I am suppose to hear some news this week

can anyone post the prompts to MUCOM?

much appreciated.

Are II's supposed to come tonight?
They said that they would resume giving IIs on 8/24. They didn't necessarily say that any would be sent today, but just that no more would be sent until at least today. I'm anxiously watching my inbox regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
What style interview does this school do? Just finished off the secondary on Fri....been chipping away at the pile.

Has anyone had any communication with the school regarding LORs? I have had them sent in through AACOMAS last month and then resent them through interfolio last week because another COM emailed saying AACOMAS is not working for lots of COMS. I still have not received an acknowledgment email. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Dear applicants,

If you have been lamenting our silence, worry no more. We are alive.

A quick update:
  • Instead of 2-3 weeks, letter processing is taking at least 4-5 weeks due to the new AACOMAS. We are working to reduce the backlog.
  • Acknowledgement emails were not sent while the director was on vacation for two+ weeks.
  • Processing did not stop. Status updates and interview decisions will start again this week.
Admissions

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't hear anything back today. Such a bummer, my secondary was marked complete 7/26 and nothing new on communication status since then. I'm an international student, not sure if that plays a factor. Wish that hey told us whether our application was reviewed and if we would receive ii or not.

Anyone know if MU-COM sent rejections for applications they reviewed but didn't give ii? Or do they just hold off rejections till a later date? Not sure if not getting an ii was b/c app wasn't reviewed or b/c it wasn't successful.

MU-COM processes all applications in the same manner: rolling admissions. Yes, we sent rejections.

Admissions

I have submitted my secondary on 7/4. It has been more than a month and my letters of recommendation are still marked as incomplete. It seems strange that some people here are marked as received and completed within 2-3 weeks after submission.

Unlike some schools, MU-COM reads every letter, which takes time. In a typical week, we receive at least 500-700 letters.

Admissions

Perhaps the rest of the employees are doing what I do when my boss is gone, sitting around playing angry birds and just generally not doing a damn thing. But MUCOMs posts have always been fairly sporadic. I'm sure they are working on other stuff.

Um, cute, but no.

MU-COM

Reactions: 10 users
So, anybody else notice that the school stopped updating the forum when the director went on vacation. Is that who were talking to in here? Food for thought..

But, have you noticed that we sign posts with "Admissions" or "MU-COM" ... mystery.

MU-COM Admissions

Reactions: 5 users
I want to be friends with whoever is responsible for the last 2 MU-COM posts

Reactions: 10 users
@MU COM In regard to your comment above about rolling admissions: It looks like at least 1 person who was complete after me received an II but I've not heard anything... does this mean I was rejected? How would that be communicated to applicants? Or may it potentially just be a case of one reviewer getting through their pile a little more quickly than another reviewer?

@MU COM In regard to your comment above about rolling admissions: It looks like at least 1 person who was complete after me received an II but I've not heard anything... does this mean I was rejected? How would that be communicated to applicants? Or may it potentially just be a case of one reviewer getting through their pile a little more quickly than another reviewer?

It means that some screeners work a little faster. Some are assigned more/less based on teaching load and administrative assignments. Etc. All screeners are held to the same expectations. When they cannot be met, applications are re-assigned.

You will see the backlog of complete files before 8/7 cleared later this week or early next week.

Admissions

P.S. Nice picture of Jane Fonda. Good show!

Reactions: 1 users
It means that some screeners work a little faster. Some are assigned more/less based on teaching load and administrative assignments. Etc. All screeners are held to the same expectations. When they cannot be met, applications are re-assigned.

You will see the backlog of complete files before 8/7 cleared later this week or early next week.

Admissions

P.S. Nice picture of Jane Fonda. Good show!

Thanks so much for your quick reply! And thanks :) Love Fonda & Tomlin!

People getting interviews, mind sharing your stats? I was complete 8/7, hoping to hear something soon!

Really excited about having a DO school in Indiana, and within the city for some urban experience. Are classes at MU (i.e. basic sciences of years 1 and 2) in blocks?

Dear applicants,

If you have been lamenting our silence, worry no more. We are alive.

A quick update:
  • Instead of 2-3 weeks, letter processing is taking at least 4-5 weeks due to the new AACOMAS. We are working to reduce the backlog.
  • Acknowledgement emails were not sent while the director was on vacation for two+ weeks.
Do you know when these acknowledgement emails will be sent? I am worried my letters were not sent properly etc.

They likely will not be sent. Instead, we plan to email everyone a status update before the end of next week.

Admissions