Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was aware of the tuition costs. Thank you very much. I applied "smart" by playing to my strengths and applying to schools with reasonable OOS acceptance rates. Turns out it worked in my favor and I received a lot of interviews. So at this point, I am trying to decide if I should go to ALL of them or cut some out. I have not received any acceptances yet so I'm not sure if I should gamble and not go to this interview.
Do you have a list of these schools with a high OOS acceptance rate? :) Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a list of these schools with a high OOS acceptance rate? :) Thanks!!
Every school (with the exception of maybe 1 or 2) has on their website their statistics for previous classes with how many the have in the class, and how many are OOS students. Most also have how many applicants they had broken down by IS vs. OOS. Might require a little homework but it is available.

My advice regarding that is that it changes from year to year. For example, last year WSU had a decent OOS acceptance rate, the previous year it did not. I also applied according to my strengths. My GPA is pretty high so I applied to schools who weighed that more than lets say the GRE.

Schools I applied to this year: UC Davis, Western, OSU, WSU, Mizzou, Cornell, MSU. The first two are my instate schools.

Best of luck! Final words of advice, do your research beforehand!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Brace yourselves...a round of acceptances went out today!

Phone calls, mail, or emails? Does this mean you got in?!? :D
I wish! All i know is my friend interviewed in the first group and heard today. I'm assuming email since that is how MSU communicated lasr uear, rejections and acceptances.

Oh god I was in that first weekend. Where's that heavy breathing cat gif when I need it?

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on 1/9 and got an email acceptance today! Good luck to everyone else!!

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed on the first day and was also accepted today!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an email today too, this is my IS so I'm very sure at this point I'll be accepting it. This is Lauren btw Pinkpuppy, if you are who I think you are? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email today too, this is my IS so I'm very sure at this point I'll be accepting it. This is Lauren btw Pinkpuppy, if you are who I think you are? :p
Haha yeah, no point in hiding. I knew it was you the whole time haha

So much for the whole they won't send out decisions until all the interviews are done thing huh? This makes me nervous as my interview is in the next few weeks. I'm wondering if I'm only interviewing for a waitlist position at this point. Gahhhh! I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some serious therapy soon. The waiting is killing me!

So much for the whole they won't send out decisions until all the interviews are done thing huh? This makes me nervous as my interview is in the next few weeks. I'm wondering if I'm only interviewing for a waitlist position at this point. Gahhhh! I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some serious therapy soon. The waiting is killing me!

They've only sent out invites to a handful of people. Most likely the top 5-10% of those that have already interviewed. There will be plenty of spots left so don't worry. Every school does this. :)

Reactions: 1 users
They've only sent out invites to a handful of people. Most likely the top 5-10% of those that have already interviewed. There will be plenty of spots left so don't worry. Every school does this. :)

You seem entirely too calm haha. This is my second year applying and I just really want in somewhere. I was much better at handling all the stress last year, probably because I was still in school and had other things to focus on. I'm now working full time in a small animal practice where the vets ask me every day (literally) if I've heard anything so no pressure..yea right haha

You seem entirely too calm haha.
The trick is to start drinking lots of alcohol whenever you start worrying about getting in. I too used to panic and worry about whether or not the schools would pick me. A trip to my nearest Trader Joe's and $50 worth of cheap whine has fixed that rather easily. ;) The only downside is that I might have to join AA when vet school starts. :p

Reactions: 2 users
The trick is to start drinking lots of alcohol whenever you start worrying about getting in. I too used to panic and worry about whether or not the schools would pick me. A trip to my nearest Trader Joe's and $50 worth of cheap whine has fixed that rather easily. ;) The only downside is that I might have to join AA when vet school starts. :p

Or, more accurately, after vet school ends.....

You seem entirely too calm haha. This is my second year applying and I just really want in somewhere. I was much better at handling all the stress last year, probably because I was still in school and had other things to focus on. I'm now working full time in a small animal practice where the vets ask me every day (literally) if I've heard anything so no pressure..yea right haha
I'm the opposite. I'm more relaxed about my second cycle. Part of it is because I'm super pessimistic and won't be entirely shocked if I have to apply again. Another part is that I'm also really optimistic...

Also, you're probably exactly right. Last year, it seemed like students with the highest grades got accepted in the first batch. It's probably the same this year, but interviews were holding it up.

My interview is next week Feb 7th.
Anyone else flying in to Detroit on the 6th?
and where are you staying?

It was about time I started having admissions nightmares...

Last year it was that my two roommates got in without actually having applied and I got rejected. This year, my boyfriend and I got snail mail letters on the same day. His was an acceptance letter, so I started crying because I thought mine was as well. Nope. A rejection letter with "In order to be accepted, you must raise your GPA by .01."

o_O

My interview is next week Feb 7th.
Anyone else flying in to Detroit on the 6th?
and where are you staying?
My interview was in January but I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Okemos. It was super quiet and not too far from campus - I highly recommend them. Good luck on your interview!

So much snow in Michigan right now....:nono:

Last edited:
So much snow in Michigan right now....:nono:
haha....yeaaaah. I just got called off work.

Snow days are good for students, bad for adults with hourly wages...

We're over 10 inches here near the Ohio border.

12Qm9pz.jpg

Arrghh. Oh well, thankful for the AWD.

I sooooo would love the day off work, I just spent three days at the Michigan Veterinary Conference and tomorrow have an 8-7 shift at work. It's gonna be dead at work though either way, so...

It pales in comparison to last year...

Either way, be careful! We all know MSU only salts the sidewalks by the international center, business college, student athlete center, and the non-heated sidewalks by the chem and hannah buildings.

:rolleyes:

It pales in comparison to last year...

Either way, be careful! We all know MSU only salts the sidewalks by the international center, business college, student athlete center, and the non-heated sidewalks by the chem and hannah buildings.

:rolleyes:
I park in the Wharton Ramp...walking down those stairs in the morning is a little scary!

Any tips from those who already interviewed on how to prepare for this MMI?

Any tips from those who already interviewed on how to prepare for this MMI?
They have a page on their website about the MMI process. That was really helpful for me. There's also some info posted earlier in this thread (maybe around late December) that was really helpful too.

For those who have applied- does anyone know when we should hear back??

For those who have applied- does anyone know when we should hear back??
A batch of offers went out about two weeks ago and it was a surprise. Everything about this year is different so I can't really say when the next batch will go out!

If I wanted to guesssss.....the last two interviews were Dec. 12 and Jan. 9th. A batch went out the 26th (correct my dates if I'm wrong). There are interviews the 7th, and idk when the next date is after that. So I'd say either after the 7th, or after the next interview day. Does anyone recall the last interview day?

A batch of offers went out about two weeks ago and it was a surprise. Everything about this year is different so I can't really say when the next batch will go out!

If I wanted to guesssss.....the last two interviews were Dec. 12 and Jan. 9th. A batch went out the 26th (correct my dates if I'm wrong). There are interviews the 7th, and idk when the next date is after that. So I'd say either after the 7th, or after the next interview day. Does anyone recall the last interview day?
The last interview day is Friday the 13th.

The last interview day is Friday the 13th.
Lol, what a day to interview....

So we may very well get another batch at the end of February assuming there is a pattern involved. I wish I knew how many people got offers already.

Lol, what a day to interview....

So we may very well get another batch at the end of February assuming there is a pattern involved. I wish I knew how many people got offers already.
They said mid February is when all decisions were going out. Whether or not they're going to make that date and what in the world they exactly mean by mid February I don't know.

They said mid February is when all decisions were going out. Whether or not they're going to make that date and what in the world they exactly mean by mid February I don't know.
Just looked at the website (imagine that! no speculating needed!):

"Notifications for the 2014/2015 application cycle will be sent out January - March."

Just looked at the website (imagine that! no speculating needed!):

"Notifications for the 2014/2015 application cycle will be sent out January - March."

No I meant at the interview. We asked at the debriefing and they said they should have them out mid February. I'm gonna go ahead and go with the website though because I'm supposed to hear from 3 other schools next week and I don't need to add yet another reason to panic.

No I meant at the interview. We asked at the debriefing and they said they should have them out mid February. I'm gonna go ahead and go with the website though because I'm supposed to hear from 3 other schools next week and I don't need to add yet another reason to panic.
That speculation comment was aimed at myself, to be clear. Lol.

My debriefing never actually happened...the timing of everything got messed up and we had to head back to the school right away. I'd just like to know....

Aha! thanks for the correction.

Who else is interviewing on Valentine's day? I am really starting to freak out. For those of you who already interviewed, did you prepare at all, or just wing it?

Who else is interviewing on Valentine's day? I am really starting to freak out. For those of you who already interviewed, did you prepare at all, or just wing it?
Me! I've been freaking out for a while already....

There's really no way to prepare for it since you don't know what they'll ask you. Just be calm and try to have fun with it.

I just winged it! It was fine :) Good luck!

Get a good night's sleep, get there early, eat a good breakfast, and try to think like you are already a doctor. It is really out of your hands at this point :)

Thanks, guys! I think I am more nervous about being the last interview session. I feel like they have already given spots to a lot of people who interviewed before me. :eek:

Thanks, guys! I think I am more nervous about being the last interview session. I feel like they have already given spots to a lot of people who interviewed before me. :eek:
~20 out of the 450+ that interview is not a lot. :)