Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But at this point we are all just estimating the number of people who got in. Unless someone has an inside connection and knows more than I do. ;)

But at this point we are all just estimating the number of people who got in. Unless someone has an inside connection and knows more than I do. ;)
It really is hard to estimate (unless Felixor was told the numbers specifically) because it seems like this thread is pretty quiet this year. Heck, MSU hasn't even had anyone post yet in the accepted thread. That, and everything is a surprise for us this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know it's ~20??
I'm estimating. When I called the day they sent out the first wave I was told that they were sending out a small wave of invites. Only 1 person from my interview group got an acceptance. I'm estimating 5 from each interview (from the ones that had already interviewed when they sent it out) so 20ish. They said it was a small wave so I wouldn't think it'd be more than 50. I'm also comparing this to the numbers from other schools that send out early acceptances/interviews. Even if it were 50, that's still a very small number considering a large chunk of OOS applicants will turn down the acceptance for their IS anyway.

Basically I'm trying to say don't freak out that they started sending out invites before your interview. They sent it out to the top people that were gonna get in whether you had interviewed already or not. They're waiting for the last interview weekend to make decisions about everyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Felixor90 When did you interview with State? I am interviewing on the 14th, next weekend. I am so excited to see the campus again. It has been a couple of decades as I did my undergrad there. I am a huge Spartan fan.. even went to the Cotton Bowl this year.. helps that I live in Dallas! LOL

I am sure it will come up in the debrief that someone will ask about when acceptances have gone out. I might ask how many have been sent thus far? Any other insights for the interview are appreciated. I already interviewed with LMU but know they have an interview date in Feb. Might have happened already. I did email asking when we might hear but have had "crickets"

I interviewed on December 13. I can't believe it's been almost 2 months. >.<

Felixor90 When did you interview with State? I am interviewing on the 14th, next weekend. I am so excited to see the campus again. It has been a couple of decades as I did my undergrad there. I am a huge Spartan fan.. even went to the Cotton Bowl this year.. helps that I live in Dallas! LOL

I am sure it will come up in the debrief that someone will ask about when acceptances have gone out. I might ask how many have been sent thus far? Any other insights for the interview are appreciated. I already interviewed with LMU but know they have an interview date in Feb. Might have happened already. I did email asking when we might hear but have had "crickets"

Which group are you in on the 14th?

I think one of the best advice anyone gave me about the interviews, and this came from an MSU CVM admission team member, when you need to take a few seconds and think to yourself, just do it. You don't have to talk all the time, you can take a moment to collect your thoughts. Also feel more than free to ask them to repeat whatever they're asking you.

I think one of the best advice anyone gave me about the interviews, and this came from an MSU CVM admission team member, when you need to take a few seconds and think to yourself, just do it. You don't have to talk all the time, you can take a moment to collect your thoughts. Also feel more than free to ask them to repeat whatever they're asking you.

You are 100% correct. Think about it like a job interview. If you response to every answer immediately in an interview, the interviewer might see that as a negative because either you were coached or didn't think through the question. I'm not saying become William Shatner and pause every 2 seconds, but put some thought into the answers and answer honestly. If you don't know the answer, come back to it or try and verbaly think it though. Even the best vets don't know everything off the stop of their heads.

As for seeing more acceptance letters, I'd think they'll be coming again in a couple weeks once interviews are over.

I'm one of the students who helps gives tours/sits on the student panel so if you have any questions about MSU let me know! :) I didn't get a chance to answer everybody's the last time I helped out and I felt bad…there's just never enough time apparently. I get to meet some of you this Friday, good luck to all and I hope you enjoy the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend. Just relax and be yourselves. Also, can you please just go and get it over with already so we can start getting more decisions? :p It feels like December was ages ago.

Reactions: 2 users
If anyone interviewing today wants to meet up, PM me :) I can answer any questions you might have! I'll just be sitting here studying.

Ahhhhh interview tomorrow! I'm excited and nervous at the same time!

Reactions: 2 users
So are we thinking we might hear this week, since the last interviews are today? (right?)

When I had my interview they said they don't really have an idea of when we will hear since this is their first year doing this. She then said most likely the last week of February or first week of March and if it gets past the first week of March, we can call and ask when we will hear

Yes they said we would hear anytime from end of February to anytime throughout March. They interviewed like 460 people for about 112 spots. Good luck to all.

Just received my acceptance email today! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I was very surprised I received it so quickly. I just had my interview Saturday afternoon!

So will they be sending out snail mail or emails?

edit** Never mind, I went back in the thread and answered my own question. They send all decision info out through email.

Reactions: 1 users
I am IS. Did my undergrad at MSU. They send out an email then send a snail mail letter about ten days later according to the email. :)

was anything posted online where we submitted our supplemental and signed up for the interview?

Just got my acceptance letter (email) today :) I am so excited! Good luck everyone :) Don't give up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just got my acceptance letter (email) today :) I am so excited! Good luck everyone :) Don't give up!

Congrats! Are you IS or OOS? Also, did you get a letter through snail mail or through email? I've already been stalking my mail man and he's gonna get scared if I am waiting for multiple acceptance letters to come...

It was an email. OOS, they said that they are working on getting emails out. But I just found out that I may qualify for in state tuition Emails will be sent out now until March 11th. They also said that I will be getting a letter in the mail in about 10 days. Email comes first then snail mail. Do not give up hope. This is my 3rd time applying, if your dedicated and truly want this you will succeed. I know that it stings getting those rejection letters, please do not give up. For those of you who are going to MSU, I look forward to learning with you. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted as well!!! email came today

I got accepted!!!!!!!! So excited! OOS, via email :)

I'm not really sure, all it says on the website is that decisions will be sent out January-March.

It was an email. OOS, they said that they are working on getting emails out. But I just found out that I may qualify for in state tuition Emails will be sent out now until March 11th. They also said that I will be getting a letter in the mail in about 10 days. Email comes first then snail mail. Do not give up hope. This is my 3rd time applying, if your dedicated and truly want this you will succeed. I know that it stings getting those rejection letters, please do not give up. For those of you who are going to MSU, I look forward to learning with you. :)
I'm curious, how can you qualify for IS tuition?

I was born and raised in Michigan, I did one of my undergrad degrees there. I moved to MN to do a biotech/biology degree and to get some research training. Because I never stopped going to school and both of my parents reside in Michigan I qualify for in state. If you think that you should qualify for in state tuition you should contact the registrar office. They will advise you on how to proceed.

I'm from California and I received my acceptance at 11:03AM PST via email this morning. I interviewed on February 14. Best of luck for the rest of you guys still waiting!

I was born and raised in Michigan, I did one of my undergrad degrees there. I moved to MN to do a biotech/biology degree and to get some research training. Because I never stopped going to school and both of my parents reside in Michigan I qualify for in state. If you think that you should qualify for in state tuition you should contact the registrar office. They will advise you on how to proceed.
Ahhh I wish. I thought it was some crazy witchcraft ;) But congrats on the IS status!

Congrats guys! :) PM me if you have any questions or want to chat about MSU.

Also there is a new provision to the residency rules at MSU that allows a person to qualify for instate tuition if they are married to a member of the military, have served themselves, or have a parent that was honorably discharged from the military.

Accepted!!!! OOS, email at 2:03 pm, also interviewed 2/14 :D

Also there is a new provision to the residency rules at MSU that allows a person to qualify for instate tuition if they are married to a member of the military, have served themselves, or have a parent that was honorably discharged from the military.
Yep. My dad retired from the military in 1999. My family has never lived in MI. I was given IS tuition because I was once a dependent of my dad. It's a pretty easy process and the switch takes about 2 days.

Anyone mind posting stats?

Sure:
23 year old from Maine, second time applicant

Graduated with a BS in Biomedical Science, minor in Dairy Management, in May 2014
Cumulative GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.45
Last 45: 3.85 (I think, don't have it on hand)

Vet Hours:
~1600 in two different SA clinics
~250 with a mixed animal doctor
Animal Experience:
~450 hours working at a zoo
~100 hours showing cattle
~100 hours from a class where we managed a herd of dairy cows
~550 hours working at an organic dairy farm
Research:
~350 hours working on my own project that I won a research grant for through my school
Paid Employment:
~5000 hours working as a cashier/customer service rep at a local grocery store
Honors&Awards:
-Deans list all semesters but one
-Summer research grant
Community Activities:
-Little Royal cattle show, 2 years
-Pre vet club
-Undergraduate research conference participant
-North American Intercollegiate Dairy Challenge participant

EDIT: forgot my GRE scores (Q/V/A): 154/156/4.0

Last edited:
I have 5 degrees from three different schools. So I am not sure what my cum GPA worked out as my most recent is around 3.7 and my previous was a 3.43

science GPA is 3.31

My last 36 credit hours (per MSU): 3.74

I was in the 150s for my GRE... I think I am trying to forget that dreadful test

School activities:

Biochem tutor

Lab assistant

Extracurricular research experiments: protein purification methods

Science mentor: taught younger kids about wonderful science topics such as microscope use and electrophoresis.

Vet med Experience:

I have over 9,000 hours of small animal experience including running anesthesia and assisting in surgery. I do a ton with client communication. I love it!

I worked full time while going to school full time.

I spent ~2 years researching with canine malignant melanoma cell lines. I presented the findings at a conference

I helped teach spay/neuter anesthesia to first and second year vet students ~60 hours

I have over 600 hours of veterinary CE small animal from numerous conferences

Food animal: pheasants, ducks, chickens, and turkeys ~ 200 hours

Shadowing and assisting small animal ultrasonographer ~75 hours

Public speaking:

day long presentation: MSAA/AAHA veterinary conference on companion animal dentistry

Presenter at the AAHA National conference: big idea exchange

elors:

DVM/ABVP/JD (law degree) ( mentor for the past 6.5 years)

DVM past AAHA president ( She is also my mentor)

DVM/MPH

CVT/VTS- dentistry

and 2 PhDs

I hope this helps! As you can see my grades weren't stellar. MSU really does look at your applications, it's not just about grades. Also I really loved the interview structure It was a lot of fun. I interviewed in the Red group on February 14th.

Keep positive thoughts!

On another note...have they sent out any rejections yet? Even to those who were never invited to interview?

I hope this doesn't end up like last year....they waited until mid-March to reject me.

On another note...have they sent out any rejections yet? Even to those who were never invited to interview?

I hope this doesn't end up like last year....they waited until mid-March to reject me.

Have you emailed/called them at all?